Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
i feel like now's a good time to mention, since a little while ago i posted about sharing the boat torture dance with a friend who knows nothing about jojo and he said "why did i watch three homosexuals dancing in front of a severed head" that we're both gay and he's loving the show. he's a few episodes into part 2 now.

i for one think it's cool that araki really doesn't give a gently caress one way or another about sexuality and just wants to draw cool and buff dudes wearing sweet-rear end clothes and posing like supermodels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
They made a good choice for Ghiaccio's voice. That guy is good at screaming.

I don't remember what Jojo taught me about rat species, which are these

dogsicle posted:

like that sort of stuff has more power and relevance to me when it's in service of recontextualizing something through a gay lens that isn't being acknowledged.
I think I agree.

this is as much 'murder is cool perviness is gross' as it is 'eww a straight'

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hitman Team seems fun, like some sort slightly eviler versions of the main gang

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
telefragging someone with a car is a pretty foolproof assassination plan

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's cool to see the good guys get one of the crazy remote controlled stands this time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

E-flat posted:

I don't remember what Jojo taught me about rat species, which are these

bear rats

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Next week: Mr. Cheese dies of Sewer Plague.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wrong thread

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dear god this show takes forever to get anywhere.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
The manga didn't?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

multijoe posted:

bear rats

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mimesweeper posted:

The manga didn't?

Never read it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 4 is longer than 5 in terms of actual bulk and still fit comfortably in those 39 episodes, so i'm going to trust davidpro in adding cool new scenes like the assassination gang chilling in the restaurant that wasn't even remotely in the manga

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

This fight dragging out to a third episode does kinda suck tho. Depending on how much of the next episode is this fight it could be in the top 5 or so for length so far

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Crazy to think this is all happening the day polpo got whacked. I don't mind the pacing cuz this fight is really cool.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

E-flat posted:

this is as much 'murder is cool perviness is gross' as it is 'eww a straight'

would this guy and kira be best friends or mortal enemies

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pootybutt posted:

Crazy to think this is all happening the day polpo got whacked. I don't mind the pacing cuz this fight is really cool.

It's not, it's happening a day later.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

You can tell because Mista mentioned needing to feed his bullets lunch!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grapplejack posted:

would this guy and kira be best friends or mortal enemies

Friends, one gets the hands and the other gets the feet

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i kinda hate the jokes
like that sort of stuff has more power and relevance to me when it's in service of recontextualizing something through a gay lens that isn't being acknowledged. jojo is already bursting with bubbling sexuality and homoeroticism due to its roots in fashion so it's like, yeah duh we've been here 25 years. thanks for joining the party, (likely straight) person whose comment on the series is just a regurgitated meme.

of course the meme existing at all is why jojo is relatively uncontested territory so i'm not sure how much i can complain.

I dunno, I'd say that JoJo does tend to be more queer-coded than the works it draws much of its inspiration from (like Hollywood horror and action movies) - it de-emphasises heterosexual romance and emphasises male bonding and friendship much harder even before you get to the gazey fashion-magazine aesthetic. It's certainly not an overtly gay show, but I can definitely see it as intentionally but covertly homoerotic. Reminds me a lot of those old books by gay authors that trod extremely lightly around the censors (and diligently presented overt gay relationships as awful/tragic/just a phase, even while going on for paragraph after paragraph about the protagonist's incredibly close friendship with his incredibly handsome best friend), even if there's no way to guess what Araki and his editors' actual motivations were for creating the manga as it is.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, I'd say that JoJo does tend to be more queer-coded than the works it draws much of its inspiration from (like Hollywood horror and action movies) - it de-emphasises heterosexual romance and emphasises male bonding and friendship much harder even before you get to the gazey fashion-magazine aesthetic. It's certainly not an overtly gay show, but I can definitely see it as intentionally but covertly homoerotic. Reminds me a lot of those old books by gay authors that trod extremely lightly around the censors (and diligently presented overt gay relationships as awful/tragic/just a phase, even while going on for paragraph after paragraph about the protagonist's incredibly close friendship with his incredibly handsome best friend), even if there's no way to guess what Araki and his editors' actual motivations were for creating the manga as it is.

IIRC, Araki has stated that he didn’t intend Part 5 to be homoerotic, but that when people pointed it out to him, he realized that it was pretty homoerotic.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that whole mixing pot of horror/action movies/fashion has enough inherent homoeroticism that his exaggerated version just ends up enhancing those aspects along with everything else, but yeah i can totally see how he might have a disconnect about it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tir McDohl posted:

You can tell because Mista mentioned needing to feed his bullets lunch!

Formaggio also mentioned a funeral.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has Araki ever admitted to making something homoerotic on purpose? Every time someone asks him about it he acts completely oblivious.

It's impossible to tell if he's messing with us or not.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well Araki has made DIO. And if anyone told me that DIO wasn't homoerotic on purpose, I'd have to call them a dirty liar considering that he literally was so in love with Jonathan that he had his child.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Tetracube posted:

Has Araki ever admitted to making something homoerotic on purpose? Every time someone asks him about it he acts completely oblivious.

It's impossible to tell if he's messing with us or not.

I don’t think so. From interviews it seems like it’s unintentional but he’s not against the interpretation if that’s how you want to think of it. There’s a scene in later part that really makes it look like two characters are gay and he seemed surprised that people took it that way, but thought it was interesting and said if that’s how you want to read it, it could be valid.

Oh, he did say DIO doesn’t care about gender when it comes to love when a fan asked about it. But it’s not like we ever saw him in love with anyone in the anime/manga.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You could have a world of all men, if that's what's in your heart.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

that whole mixing pot of horror/action movies/fashion has enough inherent homoeroticism that his exaggerated version just ends up enhancing those aspects along with everything else, but yeah i can totally see how he might have a disconnect about it.

Right, but all of those things aren't just gay. They also include a whole bunch of heteroeroticism.

Action and horror movies tend to present your female love interest as either the objective you have to defend or your safe, reassuring escape route from the weird, menacingly gay world you've found yourself in (and that's when a woman isn't taking centre-stage in a horror movie and experiencing the love triangle from hell with the killer and whatever nice, bland male love interest the script has provided her with). You don't really get that in JoJo past Phantom Blood. Suzie Q is pretty much a nonentity in Battle Tendency and the most prominent female character is the protagonist's mother, meaning that his best defence against the scantily-clad bodybuilders who want to murder-marry him is his buddy who he once scaled a giant greased pillar with as a bonding activity. Stardust Crusaders has the protagonist travel with a bunch of dudes to save his mother from a predatory gay villain, while loudly and angrily rejecting any women who cross his path (unless you count Suzie Q's brief cameo and Hol Horse's womanising, I don't think there's a single onscreen heterosexual romance in SC). Diamond is Unbreakable has the protagonist as another confirmed bachelor fighting an evil heterosexual, while the only heroic heterosexual romance involves one of his sidekicks and spends half its screen time framed like a horror movie. Maybe Trish will mix things up a bit in Vento Aureo, but as is, we've got a bunch of dudes who never quite felt like they fit in with 'normal' society drinking each other's piss, dancing together, and plotting the demise of the only character we know has voluntarily had sex with a woman.

Fashion, meanwhile, is just as likely to have women posing sensually as men, and as I remember, many of the particularly homoerotic panels in JoJo are taken from heterosexual couples posing together. There's nothing about fashion magazines that prevents you having the dudes being all over ladies as much as they're all over each other.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Man, I'm remembering when DiU came out and I was waiting on Highway Star back when the episodes were around Surface.

I love JoJo Fridays, but sometimes I wish they'd come faster so I can get to the parts I'm anticipating.

look at the poor, broken mind of the manga reader.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think Araki just isn't into dragging down the narrative with a superfluous romance subplot.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The truest sense in which Jojo's is gay is not referring to the characters, nor the writer, but to the show itself.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah they left on the yacht that morning

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think a good glimpse into Araki views gender in his art is that he's admitted that whenever hes looking through fashion magazines for clothing or poses reference, gender isnt a barrier to him. Giorno and Bruno are constantly showing their breasts, Mista is always showing his midriff. Later on in Part 7, theres like a volume cover of two male protagonists, one holding the other up in embrace and grinding their genitals together and I think people have found the exact reference he used and its a heterosexual pair

So to me everyone in JoJo is queer until proven otherwise. So Koichi is a weird outlier

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Koichi's really straight? No dignity.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the only heterosexual person in jojo is hol horse and that's because it's his stand power, he just happens to have a weird gun too

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pootybutt posted:

Nah they left on the yacht that morning

It's been a day. Formaggio even said that Polpo died yesterday morning when he was talking to Narancia.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Araki doesn't really care about whether people see it is homoerotic or not, he wants to draw what he wants to draw and make what he wants to make and if that comes across as super queer coded or homoerotic or whatever then so be it

I didn't interpret the Sorbet and Gelato bit as being a joke because like uhh... they're totes gay and them being off fuckin around totes sounds like something they'd do imo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In the previous fight Mista got a really bad matchup but this time it's the antagonist's turn. Though I guess Formaggio would've had a rough time inflicting a wound on anyone else except maybe Mista.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, how in the heck does anyone in La Squadra find Formaggio's power useless after that?

Because if he could drop a tiny car in a guy's glass without him noticing he could've just used poison instead. A car exploding out of someone's stomach is kinda hard to identify as a murder though.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 8, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Plus it was a botched job since it had an innocent casualty so really he was just showing off at that point like "haha look what I can do guys"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
When you think about it he could probably just fill his pockets with cars and throw them at people. Maybe he has a limit on how many things he can shrink at once.