Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I think there is a bug in population growth. Some Rackets came to earth and I resettled them to a tomb world but now earth only grows rackets instead of people despite there being no rackets left on earth. Kind of broken :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Has Paradox said anything about performance in 2.2? The game runs noticeably slower for me.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
So I just spent 30 years indoctrinating and then advancing a primitive civ on my borders, they become a regular empire & my subsidiary, but now I can't open a branch office on their world because they aren't independent?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Nevets posted:

So I just spent 30 years indoctrinating and then advancing a primitive civ on my borders, they become a regular empire & my subsidiary, but now I can't open a branch office on their world because they aren't independent?

If you're not on ironman, try spinning a world off into a vassal and see if you can build an office there? That seems like it'd be stupid strong though, so sort of makes sense that they might not let you do it to vassals/protectorates.

edit: the create vassal button is on your Planets and Sectors screen (F4).

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 7, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

Has Paradox said anything about performance in 2.2? The game runs noticeably slower for me.

Out: The AI wasting tons of processing power deciding what to build on each tile and which pop to work each tile
In: The AI freaking out even harder trying to decide what pops to work which jobs and constantly failing to figure out how to get out of resource-chain production death spirals.

Also it really sucks observation posts don't work. Early on I found 3 primitives, indoctrination was reporting +10 society each. That +30 society research would have doubled my production, but it's gone :(

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If I immediately border a horde I generally try to exterminate them before a khan event fires.

That is very dangerous, because attacking a horde can trigger the Khan and his hordes to activate IMMEDIATELY.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do you increase trade protection range of starbases? Tech? Modules?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

canepazzo posted:

The only way to increase trade protection are fleet patrols.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Gun modules should boost 1 range, while hanger bays do 2 I believe. I think upgraded starbases might get a bonus too? Having some ships patrol does a lot of work though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

canepazzo posted:

Every defensive module like guns or missiles seems to do it. If you have a nice mix of stations with trade modules and defensive modules in equal measure I've found that takes care of all piracy, I've never had to patrol yet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZypherIM posted:

If you're not on ironman, try spinning a world off into a vassal and see if you can build an office there? That seems like it'd be stupid strong though, so sort of makes sense that they might not let you do it to vassals/protectorates.

edit: the create vassal button is on your Planets and Sectors screen (F4).

Tried this last night. Doesn’t work. You could release them to be independent though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Baronjutter posted:

Also it really sucks observation posts don't work. Early on I found 3 primitives, indoctrination was reporting +10 society each. That +30 society research would have doubled my production, but it's gone :(

The bug report thread on the PDox forums about this one said that if you save and load your game after establishing the posts it should work. Haven’t tried it myself but might be worth a look.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If I immediately border a horde I generally try to exterminate them before a khan event fires.

Tell me more about how you build a fleet strong enough to do so - no sarcasm intended.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anno posted:

The bug report thread on the PDox forums about this one said that if you save and load your game after establishing the posts it should work. Haven’t tried it myself but might be worth a look.

lol who the gently caress doesn't play an entire game a stellaris from start to score screen in a single session??

But yeah, same problem with re-naming factions. Good to know it's an easy fix at least.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Wiz, if you could make the Buildings icons on the planet homescreen drag and drop so I can organize to satisfy my OCD, that would be awesome.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Tried this last night. Doesn’t work. You could release them to be independent though.

It'd be way too easy if you could do it to your vassals for sure. However making small vassals and releasing might be a really strong megacorp strategy. Especially since you get such a large penalty for going over cap, this'd let you stay under cap and benefit from your unique mechanic.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ai still doesn't develop its planets. its fleet was ridiculously weak (4k) too. and this is one of the stronger empires

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

ai still doesn't develop its planets. its fleet was ridiculously weak (4k) too. and this is one of the stronger empires

so basically 2.2 is 2.0 all over again. does paradox never learn?

hard pass on 2.2

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Gort posted:

I kept getting arctic-preference guys showing up on my tropical planet.

Well the good news is they'll be able to ride underneath with the checked luggage on the flight back to their loving shithole planet.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Performance is definitely a lot sketchier in el guino. Stuttery when moving around the map and the game & audio phyiscally lags when you open up the ship designer when your AI announcer is saying something. Not severe enough to be a hindrance though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZypherIM posted:

It'd be way too easy if you could do it to your vassals for sure. However making small vassals and releasing might be a really strong megacorp strategy. Especially since you get such a large penalty for going over cap, this'd let you stay under cap and benefit from your unique mechanic.

Isn’t there a civic that boosts this? Franchises or something?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

pmchem posted:

so basically 2.2 is 2.0 all over again. does paradox never learn?

hard pass on 2.2

Thanks for a drive by poo poo posting!

Davincie posted:

What difficulty are you on? Why are we looking at a world with 22 population (with jobs for all 22 so why would it build more poo poo?)? An undeveloped planet would have unemployment. You might be able to argue about what they built, but the only questionable building I think makes enforcers, and with low stability maybe they had a crime problem that is being suppressed by those.

ConfusedUs posted:

Isn’t there a civic that boosts this? Franchises or something?

No idea, I've put messing with megacorps on the backburner while I see whats new with other empire setups I like. Once I get a better handle on how the new mechanics work I'll probably start learning them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Bug Report got some refugees who asked me for permission to and successfully settled on a planet in a completely different empire.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

What difficulty are you on? Why are we looking at a world with 22 population (with jobs for all 22 so why would it build more poo poo?)? An undeveloped planet would have unemployment. You might be able to argue about what they built, but the only questionable building I think makes enforcers, and with low stability maybe they had a crime problem that is being suppressed by those.

captain, and its had that planet since near the beginning of the game. there's 0 criminal empires in the game

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Davincie posted:

captain, and its had that planet since near the beginning of the game. there's 0 criminal empires in the game

You're on the 2nd easiest difficulty.

Crime comes from more sources than criminal empires by the way.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bloodly posted:

That is very dangerous, because attacking a horde can trigger the Khan and his hordes to activate IMMEDIATELY.

I've never had it happen. I've killed one and had it another one activate shortly after. Maybe if you just kill them before the horde turn limit it's safe? Idk

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I know I'm a bit late on the train but man so much has changed this is gonna take some getting used to.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

it goes cadet > ensign > captain now, so its the middle

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

I had my governor get corrupt via event within the first few years. I wonder if the AI is smart enough to can them if something like that happens

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Davincie posted:

it goes cadet > ensign > captain now, so its the middle

Oh yea they added an even easier difficulty. The point still stands, dial up the AI and make sure scaling difficulty is off, and make sure some advanced AIs get spawned. Do all the standard stuff for making the AI present a challenge, not just go "hey on an easier difficulty I'm crushing the AI it must be broke".

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I had some rebels of my rival ask to become my protectorate so I said sure. Later I integrated them for like 80 influence and then I realized they had no fleet because their starbase was all anchorages and no shipyards. Their planet was basically all enforcers.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Victoria 3 has been updated for Megacorp, with special new Proletarian flag symbols to celebrate the new advisor voice.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

:hmmyes:

This was pretty easy to add!

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I had this problem last night and it persists today.

Stellaris is reporting that my "Checksum" has been modified, which it hasn't done before the LeGuin update. This buisness about the checksum is patently untrue since I just unsubscribed to all of the workshop mods and did a clean uninstall/reinstall. I have steam set to "keep me automatically up to date" and I have opted out of all beta patches - I also deleted everything in the "documents" folder just to be on the safe side.

When I launch for the first time it "still" says my checksum has been messed around with.

Help me somethingawful goons, you're my only hope.
you have old files from previous versions that aren't being removed properly by steam. you must MANUALLY DELETE the entire stellaris folder from your steam directory. then reinstall. only this will solve the problem.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Davincie posted:

Yeah I agree, this looks like a normal low-pop world. There's no point in clearing blockers unless you've used up all the existing space, and upgraded buildings tend to need strat resources.

Anyway my first game died. I was able to recapture most of the stations the Fanatical Purifiers took from me, but then the Great Khan event fired, and he lived right next to a wormhole to the middle of my empire. Came in with multiple 20k and 50k fleets, when everything I could muster was about 10k. One of his fleets attacked my combined fleet (in a system with a pretty tough station too) and squashed it.

I think I had a bug with Naval Capacity. It didn't go up, it just stayed at 20. It's meant to be tied to population, right? By the end I had about 6 inhabited worlds (this was the same save where I didn't get any of my guaranteed colonies), and hundreds of pops, but the only things that increased NC were the techs and a few Anchorages, and those came too late. I fought both wars against the purifiers with an NC of 20 and two very expensive fleets of 30 each.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seems refugees, migrants, and general growth system totally ignores habitability. Due to the auto-balancing demographics system and the total lack of care for environment my planets are all getting crippled with 30% hab species angrily growing and sucking up all the goods and amenities.

And since pops don't actually move, it's all an overly-abstracted pressure system, these 30% hab pops will never go away because the planet as a whole has to be in decline before anyone will move out.

I don't want to say "hard pass on 2.2" but once you get over the honeymoon period of "ooo tiles are gone!" and dig into the new mechanics, it's not looking so hot right now. How many of these are fixable bugs and how much of it is just bad design, I don't know.

It's just so weird that wiz and crew custom designed all these new systems from the primary standpoint of "lets make a system that the AI can actually deal with and fixes performance" and instead they managed to radically do the opposite.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Naval cap might not go up with just raw pop anymore, since the soldier jobs from security buildings do now.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Krazyface posted:

Yeah I agree, this looks like a normal low-pop world. There's no point in clearing blockers unless you've used up all the existing space, and upgraded buildings tend to need strat resources.

Anyway my first game died. I was able to recapture most of the stations the Fanatical Purifiers took from me, but then the Great Khan event fired, and he lived right next to a wormhole to the middle of my empire. Came in with multiple 20k and 50k fleets, when everything I could muster was about 10k. One of his fleets attacked my combined fleet (in a system with a pretty tough station too) and squashed it.

I think I had a bug with Naval Capacity. It didn't go up, it just stayed at 20. It's meant to be tied to population, right? By the end I had about 6 inhabited worlds (this was the same save where I didn't get any of my guaranteed colonies), and hundreds of pops, but the only things that increased NC were the techs and a few Anchorages, and those came too late. I fought both wars against the purifiers with an NC of 20 and two very expensive fleets of 30 each.

I'm pretty sure they untied it from pop. Anchorages increase it (starbases seem to come a little faster), and soldier jobs on your planets increase it. Those are the ones I've seen off-hand, but I haven't gone late into the tech tree yet or anything.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, everything is collapsing for me and I literally have no understanding why. I've been doing my best to try to only build buildings and districts when I'm about to spring unemployed population for them, then suddenly out of nowhere I'm at -30 energy a month and I run out of everything because also my mineral production dropped from 40 a month to 12 and I have no loving clue why.

I feel like the underlying concepts are good, but everything is so goddamned opaque. Build an energy district for more energy! How much can you expect? Well, mouse over your current production, if you know where to find that, divide by the existing pops, then multiply by 2, so easy! Assuming no modifiers change. Build a research lab to turn minerals into science! How many minerals do you spend? gently caress you, that's how many. Oh, that was too much! Now your economy will collapse.

Maybe it's that I'm playing robots - is their economy tighter? It sure doesn't seem like there's any sort of trade value for them, and they eat energy, so maybe I'm just hosed?

Also, it seems like the unity purchase that's supposed to give you an extra colonist on new colonies doesn't do anything for robots, unless I'm supposed to start with 0 on each colony and it's generously giving me 1.

Edit: and of course I post right after they announce that they're adding more info to tooltips, thank you Wiz, sorry I'm a crabby bastard
Dont feel too bad about it. My read was exactly the same and I just abandoned a game because of it. Everything going well, plenty of extra stuff coming in. Build some more buildings and "OMG WTF WHY IS EVERYTHING COLLAPSING?!" I limped along from the market for a loving decade and theres still no idea why/how-to-fix info coming in.

I... I think I miss tiles.

And holy poo poo pops need to grow faster. One every two loving decades isn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh neato, genetic modification includes self modification now. Thank you for this cool thing, Wiz etc.