Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I kinda regret my volca beats after getting a tr-8s, tbh. I think you're better off getting a volca sample.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just got a Drumbrute Impact. Haven't had much of a chance to dig into it yet but it's fun and the first drum machine that's kind of clicked with me (though that may be more a product of experience than it being the "right" gear). You really gotta like the way it sounds, though. It's got some flexibility, sonically speaking, but it's always gonna sound like a Drumbrute.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I want a drum machine.

Assuming I can only get one should I buy a Volca Beats or a Volca Sample?

I like the sound the Beats has but the Sample seems like it's much more versatile but probably a bit more complicated to figure out.

Are you in the US? I'll sell you my Beats (with snare mod). I stepped up to the Digitakt, but it was a fun machine. Say, $80 shipped? I don't really know what they go for these days.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I do like things that sound like Drumbrutes. I'm just starting to get this terrible suspicion that as long as I control it from a Beatstep Pro I might as well have gotten a Volca Sample and saved both cash and desk space. The latter is becoming a bit of a concern.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
It is cheaper to buy a new desk than new gear usually

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's more that I'm having a hard time fitting any more desks

e: vvv
Musician's Lounge > Synths and Synthesis MkII: It makes lots of sounds and more with other devices

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 4, 2018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
https://www.jmtsynth.com/dve1?fbclid=IwAR00h-XdnL-3nLBrhrhhkVoigpkFQZbIRjQVW13vE_vBIJlhYDfaEkyUW1s

I have been left speechless with desire.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

good jovi posted:

Are you in the US? I'll sell you my Beats (with snare mod). I stepped up to the Digitakt, but it was a fun machine. Say, $80 shipped? I don't really know what they go for these days.

Sadly I'm in Iceland where I'd be paying about twice that in customs fees, taxes, and various others costs. Which is only slightly less than it costs at the store.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
If you're deciding between the Beats and Sample I'd go with the Sample. The Beats has some cool sounds to it but you're pretty limited, whereas you can get pretty much any sound with the Sample if you're willing to put the samples on, though I found the included library pretty good. It also has pattern chaining with song mode, a reverb (not amazing tbh), swing and the analog filters. Basically its way more versatile.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm seriously this close to building a Vince Clarke synth pod to have everything within reach

also it's surprisingly hard to get these laptop stands for DJs in my town. Not the big ones where you can put an additional device in the bottom tier, just one of those angled stands exactly like an IKEA tablet holder, except not an IEKA tablet holder.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm seriously this close to building a Vince Clarke synth pod to have everything within reach

also it's surprisingly hard to get these laptop stands for DJs in my town. Not the big ones where you can put an additional device in the bottom tier, just one of those angled stands exactly like an IKEA tablet holder, except not an IEKA tablet holder.

Why don't you just buy one of the IKEA tablet holder stands? I got one for my Push2 and think it's great.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I'm building a Zynthian, has anyone messed around with one of these jams?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Oldstench posted:

Why don't you just buy one of the IKEA tablet holder stands? I got one for my Push2 and think it's great.

Huh, I hadn't thought of using one of those stands for my Push2 but I might have to try it out. I love my desk but the keyboard tray isn't the best place for the Push2 and the top of the desk feels a bit too high compared to my chair so it either feels like I am leaning/reaching for the pads and knobs or hunched over them.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I’ve had my OP-Z a week and it’s very fun to pick up and play. It’s very impressive what they’ve managed to cram into this, especially from a design / interface / features perspective. As a sketch pad I don’t think I could ask for much more besides a two to four op fm synthesis. For now I’ll have to figure out which Monomachine samples to cram in here ieffectively.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 5, 2018

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Question:

Is it simpler to go the hardware synth route when you start learning to simplify and get more physical with the music? This is a somewhat simple setup and yet you can do a ton with it. Having 30 software synth programs and drum machines and such can be a bit overwhelming. That drum machine seems pretty cool....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8g2a49CgGY

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 6, 2018

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Hamelekim posted:

Question:

Is it simpler to go the hardware synth route when you start learning to simplify and get more physical with the music? This is a somewhat simple setup and yet you can do a ton with it. Having 30 software synth programs and drum machines and such can be a bit overwhelming. That drum machine seems pretty cool....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8g2a49CgGY

I think it’s whatever works. My Monomachine was the fourth synth I bought, and after half a year with it I sold all the others, having accomplished more in terms of quantity, quality, and enjoyment than any other setup, and I’ve written full songs using only that device.

I’ve since added an octatrack but any sampler would have worked. With my basic setup it works as a reasonably decent basic mixer and effects processor.

It all depends what workflow works best for you. People have made fantastic stuff with the OP1 but despite owning it for half a decade I’ve only managed to make one decent thing with it.

It’s why I recommend buying stuff used, usually starting out with an old electribe. It’s easy to flip with little to no monetary loss if you don’t like it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I have had an OP1 for years and I love goofing around with it but I haven’t made a single good thing with it. Single octave keyboards aren’t conducive to that, I feel

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I think it’s whatever works. My Monomachine was the fourth synth I bought, and after half a year with it I sold all the others, having accomplished more in terms of quantity, quality, and enjoyment than any other setup, and I’ve written full songs using only that device.

I’ve since added an octatrack but any sampler would have worked. With my basic setup it works as a reasonably decent basic mixer and effects processor.

It all depends what workflow works best for you. People have made fantastic stuff with the OP1 but despite owning it for half a decade I’ve only managed to make one decent thing with it.

It’s why I recommend buying stuff used, usually starting out with an old electribe. It’s easy to flip with little to no monetary loss if you don’t like it.

Yeah, I'm thinking about it. Still learning music theory and FL Studio at the moment. Played trumpet in elementary school can read some sheet music slowly at this point.

But I am a physical learning and it engages me more that way. I have an Akai 61 key semi-weighted midi keyboard but it's too big for my desk and what I am doing right now, so I just bought an arturia keystep for chords and simple melodies which is most of what I'll do anyway.

At the very least building chords on a keyboard seems better than just in the keyboard roll in the DAW.

I live in the GVA in British Columbia Canada so there should be plenty of local musicians selling old gear.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

My OP-Z showed up today and I'm liking it so far. I didn't realize how small it is, and I like this size. I'm really into the Unity plugin stuff, and I'm going to see if I can find time this weekend to dig into that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

Having 30 software synth programs

there's your problem

you don't need 30 of 'm, it just seems like a good idea because they don't take up any space, or because you get 'm for free with something

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Laserjet 4P posted:

there's your problem

you don't need 30 of 'm, it just seems like a good idea because they don't take up any space, or because you get 'm for free with something

Some truth there; 90% of the time the only soft synths I use are Albino 3, Absynth, and FM8. Particularly Albino, which makes me sad that it’s been discontinued for years, as it’s easily one of my favourite synths (hard or soft) and cannot recommend it enough - I actually like it for bass duty far more than any of my actual real analog synths, including my eurorack with a Moog filter clone module, and Albino 3’s pads are just sublime.

Doubly damning is that unlike older hardware synths, you can’t just grab a used soft synth at a garage sale or local keyboard seller. :(

But yeah, find two or three plugins that you really really like the sound of, and focus on getting everything you can and learning all the quirks of just those handful, and it will likely help you flex your creativity a little more and get more comfortable with designing and tweaking sounds.

Once you Get Gud(tm), then feel free to go hog wild with GAS and fill up all the free space on your HDD (and home) with as many synths as you can afford :getin:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Laserjet 4P posted:

there's your problem

Yes, there is something to be said for simplicity and creativity.

I would love to go the full hardware route, but I don't want to clutter my small space, which means being selective with what I purchase.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Get a micromonsta I’m gonna get one for Xmas I think

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

A MIRACLE posted:

Get a micromonsta I’m gonna get one for Xmas I think

Oh wow, it has some really nice sounds.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Not sure how I completely missed the micromonsta being a thing but it looks really cool and definitely goes on my GAS short list.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i just got a banjo or i would have one of those already too. but the digitone is enough synth for me for now. I'm using it to drive my MFB 522 and then i just practice my acoustic instruments on top

the digitone is actually pretty cool as a midi sequencer. since i only have one other midi device right now, one trick i learned is to assign all four midi tracks to the drum machine channel. then i sequence hats on one track, kick on another, snare / clap on a third and then like toms and cowbell on the fourth. makes it easy to mute and unmute parts and other arrangement stuff becomes easier this way too

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 8, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I have a micromonsta and it really is nice. Programming is easier than it looks, you just need to give it a little time. There's some very deep stuff on there - the arpeggiator is incredible, for example. The FX section isn't the best, so I'd recommend hooking up to a good outboard solution like pedals or a DAW's FX rack or whatever.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I just got my micromonsta working with my roli seaboard block via my iPad running Audiobus 3. It’s pretty great how much expression you can get out of it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I got the Magic Leap simulator playing nice with the OP-Z Unity plugin. I'm definitely excited to get my hands on an actual Magic Leap and build out an AR OP-Z visualizer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0wnhrhLvik

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I made another synth tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f5TFtAaY2g

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

I would love to go the full hardware route, but I don't want to clutter my small space, which means being selective with what I purchase.

that new waldorf virus 3 as a desktop module is probably this

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

This is great, do you (or anyone else) have info on doing this using other programs? I mostly use Reaper, but I just got the Arturia V collection, and use a lot of non-DAW stuff (Electribe sampler, Organelle, 0 coast, more random gear...).

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I thought this would be informative to post here.

Orbital uses some really old gear, but also really new, and even affordable synths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjlWypTclec

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

I'm not saying I haven't sinned in this aspect as well. I got a lot of plugins because they were on sale. The only thing I still want is Omnisphere, but I'm OK with not having it next year or so.

I almost always use Massive to make stuff in from scratch. Even though I got Serum too, I like Massive in terms of modulation juuuust a bit better; and because you can create all kinds of custom wavetables in Serum, it is also a bit of a risk to get busy there. Serum's filters sound better to me than Massive's, though; wonder what Massive X will bring to the table in Komplete 12. I'm not a fan of how the native synths in Live are so smooshed to fit in the interface, so even if Wavetable is really nice, I just don't reach for it much. I find that more tolerable with Operator.

Spire is also such a rabbithole - again, in certain cases it sounds better than Sylenth, but Sylenth's just so simple and effective.

I've got Diva, ACE and RePro - not necessarily because I must have them, but also because I think U-He is a cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything. ACE is surprisingly effective and deep, and sometimes faster to do stuff in than in Diva. RePro just sounds amazing by itself.

In hardwareland, I would've been happy with perhaps just an OB-6 and a Grandmother, but it also didn't stop there. I still have this idea of "I should be doing a project with 4 monosynths that sound distinct from eachother" but it just never happens, y'know? On the other hand, I don't want to get rid of them because what if one day and otherwise I'm going to only spend the money on other dumb poo poo.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

ricecult posted:

This is great, do you (or anyone else) have info on doing this using other programs? I mostly use Reaper, but I just got the Arturia V collection, and use a lot of non-DAW stuff (Electribe sampler, Organelle, 0 coast, more random gear...).

I'm glad you like it. :)

It depends on what instruments you're trying to use. Dave Smith Instruments, Moog, Korg Monologue, Novation Bass Station II and Peak, and Micromonsta all support microtuning to various degrees, usually through Scala import. Sevish has some good tutorials for VSTs. I don't know if V collection will work for that.

On a sampler, you can make duplicate files of your synth hits which you have pitched to your scale in Audacity, like this. Technically, you can motion sequence the pitch control, but that play-by-ear stuff is better suited for analog sequencing, which brings us back to the 0-coast, so long as you have a sequencer and a good ear. Even if your sequencer is locked to chromatic pitches, you can get a quick and dirty microtonal scale by passing the CV though the attenuator first.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

So Math posted:

On a sampler, you can make duplicate files of your synth hits which you have pitched to your scale in Audacity, like this. Technically, you can motion sequence the pitch control, but that play-by-ear stuff is better suited for analog sequencing, which brings us back to the 0-coast, so long as you have a sequencer and a good ear. Even if your sequencer is locked to chromatic pitches, you can get a quick and dirty microtonal scale by passing the CV though the attenuator first.

Thanks for the ideas (wouldn't have thought of using the attenuator on the 0coast)! I also didn't think about editing patches for the Organelle, which while I don't know how to work with on that level yet, but I'm sure is doable.
I guess where I'm stuck is that I'm using the Electribe as a brain of sorts, and as far as I know there's no microtonal option outside of making microtonal samples.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

My OP-Z arrived yesterday, two days earlier than expected! My impressions:
  • Everyone mentions how insanely small it is. They aren't wrong. It's so small that you forget how small it is, look over at it, and then think something's wrong with your vision. During the product's lifespan I would expect at least one person to get a CAT scan because of how small it is. It's unapologetic about it in a way that feels very fresh.
  • It's hard and sharp. It's a music dagger. You might hurt yourself on it. It doesn't give a gently caress.
  • I can't imagine how much work went into those dials. They are frictionless to move but stick where you've stuck them.
  • I doubted very much how good a UI could be that was just coloured lights, but it's amazing how consistent and usable it is. Guessing a combo often just works once you get a couple under your belt.
  • The workflow eggs you on. The great thing with the OP-1 is once it's on tape, it's on tape and that's how it is, so that forces you to move forward. The great thing about the OP-Z is it encourages you to move forward, to fill the gaps now and come back to it later if you want. You think you're just fiddling but the UI silently says, "hey, that's a cool baseline, but wouldn't it be better with a drumbeat?" and you say "yes, it would, OP-Z" and you click in and do it because it's almost harder not to. And then you have a loop, and then you have some more loops, and then you have a full on bit of music. The tracks, kick-snare-symbol-sample-bass-lead-arp-chord gives you an explicit framework for making something adequate that it primarily makes easy to satisfy, and then reinterpret. In this sense it's quite a bit like some kind of mega Circuit plus the bits you do after you make a good idea, too.
  • If you feel limited by something, it's probably just you need to go deeper and learn more. I thought that 16 trigs was it and I'd have to like, use 2 patterns at the least to do a full verse. Nope. You get 4 notes per trig which is a very large amount. Cuckoo's tutorial has a comment on it where someone has posted timecode links to all the bits. If you can, keep that open somewhere.

So yeah, I'd recommend it. Happy to answer any questions or whatever people have about it.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

chaosbreather posted:

My OP-Z arrived yesterday, two days earlier than expected! My impressions:
  • Everyone mentions how insanely small it is. They aren't wrong. It's so small that you forget how small it is, look over at it, and then think something's wrong with your vision. During the product's lifespan I would expect at least one person to get a CAT scan because of how small it is. It's unapologetic about it in a way that feels very fresh.
  • It's hard and sharp. It's a music dagger. You might hurt yourself on it. It doesn't give a gently caress.
  • I can't imagine how much work went into those dials. They are frictionless to move but stick where you've stuck them.
  • I doubted very much how good a UI could be that was just coloured lights, but it's amazing how consistent and usable it is. Guessing a combo often just works once you get a couple under your belt.
  • The workflow eggs you on. The great thing with the OP-1 is once it's on tape, it's on tape and that's how it is, so that forces you to move forward. The great thing about the OP-Z is it encourages you to move forward, to fill the gaps now and come back to it later if you want. You think you're just fiddling but the UI silently says, "hey, that's a cool baseline, but wouldn't it be better with a drumbeat?" and you say "yes, it would, OP-Z" and you click in and do it because it's almost harder not to. And then you have a loop, and then you have some more loops, and then you have a full on bit of music. The tracks, kick-snare-symbol-sample-bass-lead-arp-chord gives you an explicit framework for making something adequate that it primarily makes easy to satisfy, and then reinterpret. In this sense it's quite a bit like some kind of mega Circuit plus the bits you do after you make a good idea, too.
  • If you feel limited by something, it's probably just you need to go deeper and learn more. I thought that 16 trigs was it and I'd have to like, use 2 patterns at the least to do a full verse. Nope. You get 4 notes per trig which is a very large amount. Cuckoo's tutorial has a comment on it where someone has posted timecode links to all the bits. If you can, keep that open somewhere.

So yeah, I'd recommend it. Happy to answer any questions or whatever people have about it.

It's not limiting, just a different workflow. When you work in LFOs, the key changes on the mixer track, effects on the performance track, and track resolutions, you can have a LOT of variety crammed into those sixteen trigs. It's capable of SO much more than 4/4 club music. People will be stealing ideas from this box for years to come.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

If you haven't set either up yet, the iOS app and Unity plugin are both amazing. The iOS app is really helpful to learn what's assigned to what on each screen. The Unity plugin is making me excited to build games that respond to the OP-Z, I want to build a game where one play builds a song and through that process controls half the game, while another player uses a second controller. It's especially tempting to try and set up a sort of music battle game, where two different synthesizers are used in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Chainclaw posted:

I got the Magic Leap simulator playing nice with the OP-Z Unity plugin. I'm definitely excited to get my hands on an actual Magic Leap and build out an AR OP-Z visualizer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0wnhrhLvik

My Leap Motion arrived from the US the other day, and it really is incredible. I've been using it to control 5 cc control messages for the SWAM The Violin sound library (set up on x,y,z, pitch and yaw), and the level of control that the LM provides is literally mind blowing. You won't be disappointed when you get one.

e: I just realised you were talking about Magic Leap. I should drink more covfefe

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 11, 2018