Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

The only difference between the witcher and dragon age 3 is that in the witcher 3 I'm holding down the trigger to find the bread crumbs but in dragon age 3 I'm clicking in the thumbstick to find the bread crumbs. Oh and Dragon Age's combat is miles ahead.

DA 3 was filled with MMO filler garbage. Collect 10 blankets and such. While every side quest in the Witcher 3 had its own story , cinematic and choices. How can you compare the two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I still don't think it's happening because Anthem is going to kill Bioware dead or at least lose so much money that EA is going to do some 'extreme restructuring' to the point that Bioware will just be the new name of the Malaysain third party dev working out of a closet pumping out freemium loot box games

I'd love to be wrong though! If DA4 is real I may finally finish that second full trilogy playthrough I gave up on...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There’s a ton of pointless filler content in TW3 as well, even if the quests are much better as a whole. The big difference is that in Inquisition I liked my character and the story enough to continue whereas I never got through TW3 because I found Geralt to be a pretty dull protagonist.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

I still don't think it's happening because Anthem is going to kill Bioware dead or at least lose so much money that EA is going to do some 'extreme restructuring' to the point that Bioware will just be the new name of the Malaysain third party dev working out of a closet pumping out freemium loot box games

I'd love to be wrong though! If DA4 is real I may finally finish that second full trilogy playthrough I gave up on...

Inquisition sold really well though. I'm sure Bioware will want to follow up on that. DA series has always been a cash cow for them.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Savy Saracen salad posted:

DA 3 was filled with MMO filler garbage. Collect 10 blankets and such. While every side quest in the Witcher 3 had its own story , cinematic and choices. How can you compare the two?

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Defender_of_the_Faith Theres a bunch of other boring rear end no writing worthless quests like that. Horse racing. Brawling. Cmon lol.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The brawling sidequest alone in Witcher 3 had more character interaction, dialogue and an actual narrative arc than like three full DAI filler maps combined:laffo:

And this is coming from someone who loves DAI

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

The brawling sidequest alone in Witcher 3 had more character interaction, dialogue and an actual narrative arc than like three full DAI filler maps combined:laffo:

And this is coming from someone who loves DAI

If you want to talk filler maps how about trying to do every question mark in Skellig. I gave up after boating around for hours. Every question mark was a smuggler's cache! Great gameplay. Love diving down into the water to fight the same 3 drowners that I kill in 1 hit with my crossbow to loot the same subpar garbage from the same 4 crates. Compare to Dragon Age 3... which has real combat.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pewdiepie posted:

If you want to talk filler maps how about trying to do every question mark in Skellig. I gave up after boating around for hours. Every question mark was a smuggler's cache! Great gameplay. Love diving down into the water to fight the same 3 drowners that I kill in 1 hit with my crossbow to loot the same subpar garbage from the same 4 crates. Compare to Dragon Age 3... which has real combat.

If you're trying to get every question mark in Skellige that's your problem. That isn't a quest, it's just a "thing you can do." Even the Witcher gear treasure hunts which are just "go here, get thing" have tons of personality and an actual storyline. As for combat...eh. I love both game's combat, but they're so different that it's not worth comparing. One is RTWP and the other is action oriented.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pewdiepie posted:

I tried to do all the question marks my first run but gave up in Skellige. Every time you dive into those waters is like loving Vietnam with all those flying harpies and drowners.

That said, Witcher 3 owns and most of the sidequests are well-written and interesting, something DAI manages to do with most main quests in each area but it doesn't come close to matching the sheer amount of content with actual depth that W3 boasts.

Still like DAI a lot though.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

forget it, jake. it's pewdiepie

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
DAI combat was way too similar to DAO’s combat, which was retardedly slow and meandering, even on PC. in DAI it takes forever to win a loving fight, the combat has no snap to it, and all because so many players were nostalgic for taking 3 hours to get through one skirmish. And that’s not even getting into the haphazard AI controlling your party.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You mean DAI combat was DAO combat, except worse.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I like the combat in every DA game :shrug:

The encounter design needed some work (this was extremely true in DA2, outside of maaaaybe the DLC areas where they toned down the random waves) but I had a lot of fun as both a rogue and a mage in all three games.

Seeing a mage in DAO sitting behind like eight guys and just immediately casting that spell that did damage based on the target's mana and watching him collapse instantly under 20k in damage soemhow never got old.

Going tempest in DAI and making sure everything was on fire, time frozen, actually frozen or being stabbed by back-to-back deathblows was also incredibly satisfying.

In DA2...watching my mage spin around shooting off little energy balls was cool, I guess? It's been a while I'm gonna pass on this one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you think DAI's combat was slow, you didn't build your party very well.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Witcher 3 is a great game, but the combat pretty quickly becomes boring and way too easy even on the highest difficulty. The three DA games don't really have uniform difficulty (even within the same game), but most of the time there's at least some challenge.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I heard they're using a different engine for DA4 thAn the DAI/MEA one? Is tHAt true?

I really hope so. My hope for DA4 goes up a lot if it is.

EDIT:
Apparently it was the 'procedural generation engine"? No idea.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 8, 2018

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
If Tallis returns for DA4, which is likely, I hope she doesn't have those godawful eyes of the dead that she had in 2. Urgh.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I hope we get the chance to side with Solas. After three games of this nonsense, I am totally on board with killing all humans.

We won't, of course. And Morrigan is going to show up and play a role in the plot even if you tell her to gently caress off.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I hope we get the chance to side with Solas. After three games of this nonsense, I am totally on board with killing all humans.

We won't, of course.

I dunno. I can envision a plot where the hero tries (and fails) to stop Solas, or one where the hero goes full Bender and aids Solas. Either way, DA4 ends with Solas tearing down the Veil or what have you, and DA5 is cleaning up that mess.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
We're not playing as the Inquisitor, so I can see the two big factions being Solas's Make Arlathan Great Again elves and the remnants of the Inquisition.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah the Inquisitor and pals are definitely going to be in the game but probably only Dorian and Harding are going to be main characters/party members

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Solas will conjoin the spheres and da5 will be a witcher prequel

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Solas will conjoin the spheres and da5 will be a witcher prequel

Solas' whole plot seems very Korra season 2, but the Witcher sphere thing works too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Okay, here's a nutty theory. The figure in the mural - could it be Sera?

Yes, Sera as mage would be a 180 turn in her personality, but Solas always thought she had potential... And the hair colour/style match.

And it would explain what the gently caress Sera was doing in Inquisition given how little a part she had to play.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 8, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hmm, that's a possibility. Sera very clearly is capable of magic, even if she has a mental block against it.

On the other hand, I don't know if Bioware would make a pretty divisive character that you can dismiss from the Inquisition at any time such a central figure in DA4's plot.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Maybe if Sera shaved her head...
https://twitter.com/Nthornborrow/status/1071204427879505920?s=19

(I don't think it's Sera)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, Morrigan.... Cullen...

All that stuff about Sera's latent magical ability seems awfully foreshadowy if the character just straight up disappears from the story after DA3.

:tinfoil:

Edit: ^^^ aw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can't remember a single plot beat or other notable thing from DAI except the mages versus templars choice and the throne you judge people from. Everything else is just a blur of undisguised MMO tropes.

I remember so many quests from Witcher 3 it isn't funny considering how long ago I played the game. I also liked the gameplay but totally get why it wasn't satisfying for a lot of players.

I hope bioware (if this comes out and they don't run out of money after anthem) take this on board and use their ability to craft cleaner rpg combat than CDPR and release a game with engaging stories and side content but I'm not going to hold my breath because they're out of good will with me

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JBP posted:

I can't remember a single plot beat or other notable thing from DAI except the mages versus templars choice and the throne you judge people from. Everything else is just a blur of undisguised MMO tropes.

I remember so many quests from Witcher 3 it isn't funny considering how long ago I played the game. I also liked the gameplay but totally get why it wasn't satisfying for a lot of players.

I hope bioware (if this comes out and they don't run out of money after anthem) take this on board and use their ability to craft cleaner rpg combat than CDPR and release a game with engaging stories and side content but I'm not going to hold my breath because they're out of good will with me

That's strange. Winter palace had gameplay weaknesses, but I very clearly remember Gaspard, Briala, Celine, and above all, duchess Florianne. Similarly, the whole Mythal/Solas plotline is very memmorable, Solas is the best antagonist the series ever had, Did you not play Trespasser?

Or is this only about side content? You're right about that at least, apart from the party member quests, little of it was very engaging.

Fangz posted:

Well, Morrigan.... Cullen...

All that stuff about Sera's latent magical ability seems awfully foreshadowy if the character just straight up disappears from the story after DA3.

:tinfoil:

Edit: ^^^ aw

I'm still not sure how people saw anything but a bald elf in that figure. It might still not be Solas, but the only hair in that picture is the fur (wolf fur?) they're wearing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That figure is so obviously Solas that it's painful to see people guess otherwise.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
But if it’s Solas, then what is on the right? Solas is the Dread Wolf, no? So despite the right-hand figure looking very lupine and very dreadful, it can’t be Solas because he’s already on the left side of the image.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Torrannor posted:

I'm still not sure how people saw anything but a bald elf in that figure. It might still not be Solas, but the only hair in that picture is the fur (wolf fur?) they're wearing.

Early concept art of Merrill had her bald, just saying...

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Grundulum posted:

But if it’s Solas, then what is on the right? Solas is the Dread Wolf, no? So despite the right-hand figure looking very lupine and very dreadful, it can’t be Solas because he’s already on the left side of the image.

Two aspects of the same figure being represented in a stylized image isn't that weird of a concept to me? And of course, the wolf can still be something else.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

That's strange. Winter palace had gameplay weaknesses, but I very clearly remember Gaspard, Briala, Celine, and above all, duchess Florianne. Similarly, the whole Mythal/Solas plotline is very memmorable, Solas is the best antagonist the series ever had, Did you not play Trespasser?

Or is this only about side content? You're right about that at least, apart from the party member quests, little of it was very engaging.

Winter Palace.. Lol... I remember this.. Had high hopes for this quest. Its just filler and tedium like all the others... running around and collecting evidence (a bunch of letters scattered around) which includes seeing a naked guy tied with handcuffs to a bedpost and using this to blackmail the queen... coupled with a loud villain monologue detailing to you all her plans... Bioware writing is just childishly bad... they are so obsessed with whedonseque dialogue and and recurring appearances of characters like if it was some kind of sitcom to the deterrent of the overall plot.

I heard that EA axed the game and forced them to restart it so I wonder what was the original plan and what are they doing differently now?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
When I was like "that's not Solas, he's the wolf" I forgot that I was at that time wearing a t-shirt with this image on

yeah they're both solas.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
there are many things to critique about dai but the dude throwing a goat at your castle bc you killed his son was funny and good

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
And then you can punish him by sending his clan to Tevinter with all the arms they can carry, which (I think) is the only time you can get unanimous approval for a judgment.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I hope there's a situation where I have to choose between the player character from DA:O & The Inquisitor or Loghain to die so I can pick Loghain again. That's right, c'mon Simon Templeman! You're not getting out of this one!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I hope there's a situation where I have to choose between the player character from DA:O & The Inquisitor or Loghain to die so I can pick Loghain again. That's right, c'mon Simon Templeman! You're not getting out of this one!

Tbh anything better than Steve Valentine who very clearly doesn't care and was bribed into being there for inquisition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shocking no one, the CHUDs are coming after DA4's writers.
http://jaalamadarav.tumblr.com/image/180922104773

You know they are just whining for attention when they complain about overt liberal politics in a loving BioWare game. It's like complaining about liberal politics at the Democratic Convention.