Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Unless you must get vintage the “super OEM” Hanpin 1200 clones sold by DJ companies like Pioneer and Reloop are solid and you can still get parts for them if need be. At this point even for DJs real 1200s are becoming a bit of an affectation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Technics also made some quartz clocked direct drive turntables without the pitch slider.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

Unless you must get vintage the “super OEM” Hanpin 1200 clones sold by DJ companies like Pioneer and Reloop are solid and you can still get parts for them if need be. At this point even for DJs real 1200s are becoming a bit of an affectation.

Both the Audio Technica and Pioneer 1200 clones are considered good and solid and perfectly serviceable as they are right out of the box or strong foundations for upgrading down the road. Like, if today I wanted a 1200-like turntable to put a nice cartridge on and make into a daily driver and didn’t have the budget or time or desire to track down and rehab a used 1200 that wasn’t alternatively either too jacked up or too expensive, I’d get a PLX-500 or ATLP120 or whatever (more likely an LP5 these days), throw an Ortofon Red or Blue on it and call it a day.

But if you’re budget conscious/have a mind for vintage gear, you have the better part of like a half-century’s worth of turntables out there to pick from. Many of them will be workhorses, many will be top of their respective lines, and many could easily fit the role of “last turntable you’ll ever need.”

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Electric Bugaloo posted:

But if you’re budget conscious/have a mind for vintage gear, you have the better part of like a half-century’s worth of turntables out there to pick from. Many of them will be workhorses, many will be top of their respective lines, and many could easily fit the role of “last turntable you’ll ever need.”

Case in point, I'm on my fourth turntable right now. First was a Thorens TD-105 (late 70s), then a Technics SL-1500 (mid-80s?), a Technics SL-1210 Mk2 (from the mid-80s) and now a Visonik HiFi CEC DD-8200 (mid/late-70s). All of these are perfectly good turntables that most people would be perfectly happy with.

The reason I switched from the SL-1210 to the DD-8200 was that someone wanted to pay me ~$600 for the Technics. The DD-8200 is also direct-drive, but has automatic return and stop, and is a little bit quirky, which I like. I still need to clean the 33/45 switch and the speed trim slider, and it needs a shot of silicone oil in the arm lifter. But I only paid $90 for it in perfect cosmetic condition, so I'm OK with having to fix it up a little.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I just want you all to know that I completely appreciate your advice and took it to heart.

But...

(Excuse the mess, I'm still setting everything up and moving things around)

Original owner, bought in '89 and only used for casual listening/in storage (in a road case that came with it) for its whole life. Not a scratch on it, even included the original manual. I'm still waiting on the cartridge I want to use, but it sounded great when the guy demoed it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's the way to do it. Get one that has never seen DJ duty.

Is the VTA adjustment ring stuck on yours, too?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Nope, VTA moves well! I went ahead and hooked up the cart it came with just to test (on one of my three copies of Rumours - he said he rarely used the cart, but I didn't want to risk anything else) and it sounds great. Looking forward to playing the rest of my stuff on my incoming vm540ml. Not looking forward to installing it though!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you got the little white plastic alignment guide, it's super easy to install a new cartridge. If you didn't get one, they're reasonably cheap on eBay etc.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

That's good to hear - but I'll still probably struggle because I'm bad at things. It took about 3 tries to calibrate my tonearm before it finally clicked. It's going to be fun when I enter the world of vintage receivers in a couple months!

Edit: Yep, as predicted, I've successfully prevented myself from throwing this cart on the floor about 8 times, but I'm still not able to get it aligned right (every time I try to tighten the screws, it shifts or rotates out of alignment). I think I should've aligned it before connecting the wires, but it was so frustrating doing that that I don't want to unhook them and then struggle with that part again. Arrrrrg.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 20, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there any physical difference between the ortofon ff10 and ff15 cartridges? LP gear has a generic replacement for the 15 for 2/3s of the price and I want to make sure it'll work in my unknown ...whatever the part the cartridge plugs into is, and the one that came with it that's all hosed up is an ff10

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

marjorie posted:

I just want you all to know that I completely appreciate your advice and took it to heart.

But...

(Excuse the mess, I'm still setting everything up and moving things around)

Original owner, bought in '89 and only used for casual listening/in storage (in a road case that came with it) for its whole life. Not a scratch on it, even included the original manual. I'm still waiting on the cartridge I want to use, but it sounded great when the guy demoed it.

You should get those speakers off the same surface as your turntable, or at the very least, buy some isolation pads.
What cart did you wind up getting? I bought a pair of M44-G's the day before Shure announced that they were discontinuing all phono products :(
I love them but I'm afraid I'll eventually have to find something to replace them and that makes me sad. Luckily Ortofon has some solid options available and I've already got a pair of Concorde's I plan to use with Serato DVS. I might be able to stretch the longevity of the M44-G's to only use them for sampling and recreational play, but goddamn if I don't love how they feel. I even love how they stick to the record when you lift.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Looking for some advice on how to proceed with my setup. I currently have a Pro-ject Carbon Debut USB that I won a few years ago. Aside from a Marantz 2216B (which I picked up cheaply and isn't working the best) and two speakers (Pioneer SP-BS22-LR), I haven't invested a ton of money into this. I'd like to get a new receiver that I can hook everything up to, including my TV, turntable, console, etc. while using my existing speakers if possible. Right now we are just using the speakers on the TV which suck.

I guess I have two questions.

1. Is this a good receiver for what I have now, and for the future should I expand beyond the two speakers?

2. What is the next thing I should get to make my setup sound good for TV/movies? A center channel? Subwoofer?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
1) I always dig on Onkyo so I'd say you'd be fine for any future needs. It appears to have a phono input so you should be able to plug your Carbon straight in with no problems.

2) Invest in a good subwoofer now. It will be the foundation of any system you build in the future. Worry about a center channel once you're ready to purchase the rest of the surround channels.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If you don't mind buying last year's model, Acessories For Less will save you a hundred or two dollars.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a similar Onkyo, and beyond frustrations with multizone stuff (which you'll get on pretty much EVERY receiver under $1,000+) it's done me good. You always get great bang for your buck with them.

Personally I run it as a 3.0 system, just because I get plenty of bass with my JBL Studio speakers as the woofers are 10" big and it's nice not having to worry about a sub too much. Maybe one day.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

wa27 posted:

Picked up this JVC R-S33 at a garage sale today for $15:

I had to clean quite a bit of smoke grime off the face and top, but at least it doesn't smell. Having slider controls sucks but I quite like the look of it, especially when the dial is lit. Unfortunately my bulbs are dead, so I'll have to decide if it's worth messing with that. I swear I have the best luck with cheap receivers and the worst luck for bad dial lights.

I just bought this exact model off ebay for my step dad for a xmas gift, took it apart and dusted and deoxit. works great! But i spent about 80 bucks to get the receiver.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Awesome thanks guys, I went ahead and bought the Onkyo a few days ago when it was on sale for $299, can’t wait until it gets here and I can start building a better system.

Edit: now I just need to sell my marantz

McGurk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 28, 2018

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

derk posted:

I just bought this exact model off ebay for my step dad for a xmas gift, took it apart and dusted and deoxit. works great! But i spent about 80 bucks to get the receiver.

Cool! I'd feel better about spending $80 on one of those than $250 on an equivalent era/power Pioneer.

If you ever need bulbs, I ended up using "1998-2011 CROWN VICTORIA CLEAR BULB 53" from ebay and they worked great (soldering required). $5 shipped for ten of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-2011-CROWN-VICTORIA-CLEAR-BULB-53-LOT-OF-10-NEW/181544929690?hash=item2a44ebc99a:g:fqEAAOSwnDZULJuR:rk:42:pf:0

marjorie
May 4, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You should get those speakers off the same surface as your turntable, or at the very least, buy some isolation pads.
What cart did you wind up getting? I bought a pair of M44-G's the day before Shure announced that they were discontinuing all phono products :(
I love them but I'm afraid I'll eventually have to find something to replace them and that makes me sad. Luckily Ortofon has some solid options available and I've already got a pair of Concorde's I plan to use with Serato DVS. I might be able to stretch the longevity of the M44-G's to only use them for sampling and recreational play, but goddamn if I don't love how they feel. I even love how they stick to the record when you lift.

I'm late to reply, but anyway, is the concern about the speakers for to vibrations causing the tone arm to jump? If that's it, I don't think it's an issue for me - I can't feel much in the way of vibrations if I rest my hand on the shelf and I've been listening to stuff a ton in the past week or so and never once had anything skip. I can definitely put some isolation pads down if there are other vibration concerns, but due to space issues and furniture placement, if I move the speakers off the shelf, I'll get propagation issues which are noticable. Down the road, if I upgrade to a boomier speaker\amp situation, I'll keep this in mind and plan some adjustments in the room, though.

As for the cart, I went for the AT-VM540ml. I have no idea if it was worth the cost (over another hifi cart), but it sure sounds better than the ortofon dj cart that came with the table. I've noticed fewer crackles with my older used soul records, too. All in all, I'm super pleased with the setup, cartridge-mounting frustrations and all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

marjorie posted:

I'm late to reply, but anyway, is the concern about the speakers for to vibrations causing the tone arm to jump? If that's it, I don't think it's an issue for me - I can't feel much in the way of vibrations if I rest my hand on the shelf and I've been listening to stuff a ton in the past week or so and never once had anything skip. I can definitely put some isolation pads down if there are other vibration concerns, but due to space issues and furniture placement, if I move the speakers off the shelf, I'll get propagation issues which are noticable. Down the road, if I upgrade to a boomier speaker\amp situation, I'll keep this in mind and plan some adjustments in the room, though.

As for the cart, I went for the AT-VM540ml. I have no idea if it was worth the cost (over another hifi cart), but it sure sounds better than the ortofon dj cart that came with the table. I've noticed fewer crackles with my older used soul records, too. All in all, I'm super pleased with the setup, cartridge-mounting frustrations and all.
Vibrations don't just cause the tone arm to jump, they also affect the sound. If you rap on your plinth you can hear it in your speakers. Now your speakers will send vibrations through the shared surface that will get picked up by your turntable and cause distortion.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. My current plan is to change out the speakers around February, so I'll figure out a rearrangement then.

On another note, what is the current recommendation for a headphone amp? I have the art djpre ii phono preamp and some Beyerdynamic DT770 pros (80 Ohm). Is this (Schiit Magni) a good choice to slot between them?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Just hooked up my new Onkyo and the record player sounds super distorted and scratchy. TV sounds fine through it, what am I doing wrong?

Edit: I plugged it into a different input and it works fine. Must be two preamps causing the distortion?

McGurk fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 4, 2018

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

marjorie posted:

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. My current plan is to change out the speakers around February, so I'll figure out a rearrangement then.

On another note, what is the current recommendation for a headphone amp? I have the art djpre ii phono preamp and some Beyerdynamic DT770 pros (80 Ohm). Is this (Schiit Magni) a good choice to slot between them?

I'd get an O2 off Massdrop over Schiit. Little cheaper too.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

ddogflex posted:

Hm, looks like maybe this JDS Atom is the successor at a similar pricepoint? Backorder of 2-3 days doesn't seem bad.

Edit: ah, but shipping brings it to almost $20 over the Massdrop O2. And the Massdrop appears to have a better Knob Feel. But the Atom's performance is better. Gah, only 15 hours to decide!

marjorie fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 4, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheManWithNoName posted:

Just hooked up my new Onkyo and the record player sounds super distorted and scratchy. TV sounds fine through it, what am I doing wrong?

Edit: I plugged it into a different input and it works fine. Must be two preamps causing the distortion?

Do you know about line level/phono etc? If your record player is old school (either in age or approach), it’ll kick out a very low output and will need to be plugged into the phono input to bring it up. Modern turntables often have preamps built in and don’t need this, and need to be plugged into a normal line level input (like one marked TV, CD). It might have a switch on the bottom too to choose which output to use.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
A phono input/preamp will also apply RIAA equalization (lowering the high end/boosting the low end) which would explain the “scratchiness” if you just plugged a turntable into a regular input and cranked it up to compensate for the level.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

marjorie posted:

Hm, looks like maybe this JDS Atom is the successor at a similar pricepoint? Backorder of 2-3 days doesn't seem bad.

Edit: ah, but shipping brings it to almost $20 over the Massdrop O2. And the Massdrop appears to have a better Knob Feel. But the Atom's performance is better. Gah, only 15 hours to decide!

I've never used the Atom, JDL O2 are really nice, altho more expensive. Their stuff is made in the US which is nice too. I doubt you will notice much sound difference between the two, but the JDL has two inputs which might be nice?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I got my turntable set up and it worked great the first few nights, but tonight suddenly it stopped spinning. I thought the drive belt had come loosr, but no, it just doesn't go. The automatic arm doesn't work either. Any idea what it could be?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ddogflex posted:

Seconding this. I got this one and love it so far.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

What's the best way to clean vinyl records? I have a few that are a bit beyond just dusting.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Wood glue if you're bold

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went with a record cleaning thing which is just a bottle of alcohol and a piece of foam with cloth wrapped over it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tepid water and dishwashing liquid and a clean microfiber cloth. Just be careful to keep the labels dry.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I went with a record cleaning thing which is just a bottle of alcohol and a piece of foam with cloth wrapped over it.

If you've got shellac records just use water on them. Maybe slightly soapy water but definitely not alcohol as that'll melt them.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Here is what I have been using for some time.

My old Onkyo receiver that I really liked died so I found this for free until I find something I want to replace it. I'm thinking of either going vintage with an old Pioneer SX-XXX or new Onkyo with HDMI/Phono/Bluetooth receiver.

Speakers
Old JBL L-3s. They sound nice but I wouldn't mind something smaller with a better mid range.

Question: this setup seems to sound "okay" (I'm talking specifically about listening to records). Sometimes it just sounds kind of fuzzy scratchy low quality. I see lots of people talking about "going thu/deoxit" their old equpiment but I have never done this. I have a couple friends that have the same component setup as I do but theirs sounds much better. If I were to begin upgrading things what does the hive mind recommend that I do first? I don't know anything about the stylus cartridge; it came with the turntable when I bought it used. They could be from 1975 for all I know.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

RoastBeef posted:

What's the best way to clean vinyl records? I have a few that are a bit beyond just dusting.

I got a spin-clean for Christmas last year. It does a really good job but Christ Almighty is it tedious if you're cleaning 300 records. Especially since you can only go through about 30 at a time before you have to change the water.
Still beats the pants off doing it without one.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Here is what I have been using for some time.

My old Onkyo receiver that I really liked died so I found this for free until I find something I want to replace it. I'm thinking of either going vintage with an old Pioneer SX-XXX or new Onkyo with HDMI/Phono/Bluetooth receiver.

Speakers
Old JBL L-3s. They sound nice but I wouldn't mind something smaller with a better mid range.

Question: this setup seems to sound "okay" (I'm talking specifically about listening to records). Sometimes it just sounds kind of fuzzy scratchy low quality. I see lots of people talking about "going thu/deoxit" their old equpiment but I have never done this. I have a couple friends that have the same component setup as I do but theirs sounds much better. If I were to begin upgrading things what does the hive mind recommend that I do first? I don't know anything about the stylus cartridge; it came with the turntable when I bought it used. They could be from 1975 for all I know.

I have that same piece of furniture. It makes for a great DJ table.

As far as the scratchies... That's a thing records do.
You probably need a new needle for your cartridge. But since I can't identify that cartridge, I'm just gonna say get a new cart.
Also, clean your records. Maybe go buy a brand new record and see if that sounds good or not. It could just be that all your records are worn out, or scratched up or dirty.
Finally, using deoxit on equipment is only going to help so much and only for certain things. It's not going to do anything to improve the overall sound quality of that Onkyo.
But if you had a dirty potentiometer that made noise when you turned the knob, it could help clean that up. It could also completely destroy it if it's a fragile snowflake. I wouldn't waste the money on cleaning something like that. Now if it was a vintage piece of gear that had some sentimental value or it was a really nice piece of kit then yeah I'd put the effort into cleaning it up.
Like this:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 6, 2018

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

So, I’m a bit of a novice at this turntable thing. Ive been into it a few years and have a nice little collection of records. I’ve never owned a table that didn’t have a built in preamp. I’m hitting a point where I’m investing more and more into my records, so I started looking at better models (my current is a sony ps-lx250h). I had my eye on an Technica LP120.

And then the other day an audiophile buddy of mine offered to sell me his Pro Ject Debut Carbon DC, with an upgraded acrylic platter for 175$. It has been well cared for and is in beautiful condition.

So two questions:

1) this is a no brainer purchase right? My research says this is far better than anything I could do otherwise at the price point.

2) for powered speakers I would only need a phono preamp to set this thing up, correct?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

GoodApollo posted:

So, I’m a bit of a novice at this turntable thing. Ive been into it a few years and have a nice little collection of records. I’ve never owned a table that didn’t have a built in preamp. I’m hitting a point where I’m investing more and more into my records, so I started looking at better models (my current is a sony ps-lx250h). I had my eye on an Technica LP120.

And then the other day an audiophile buddy of mine offered to sell me his Pro Ject Debut Carbon DC, with an upgraded acrylic platter for 175$. It has been well cared for and is in beautiful condition.

So two questions:

1) this is a no brainer purchase right? My research says this is far better than anything I could do otherwise at the price point.

2) for powered speakers I would only need a phono preamp to set this thing up, correct?

I have a pro-ject and changing speed is annoying. if i could go back i would buy something else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GoodApollo posted:

So two questions:

wolfbiker posted:

I have a pro-ject and changing speed is annoying. if i could go back i would buy something else.

My ex has a Debut III (so not quite the carbon but close enough) which was my/our main TT while we lived together. Having to change speed by pulling off the platter got super old super quick and I pretty much stopped playing or buying 45 rpm stuff because of it. Also the anti-skate weight annoys me and falls off and can get lost easily if other people are using the table frequently.

For $175 it is kind of a no-brainer price and I definitely wouldn’t say no to it (esp with the acrylic platter, that thing looks awesome; and an Ortofon Red), but I certainly wouldn’t pay $525 for a new one. If you’re coming from automatics the “ritual” of doing everything manually is fun until it’s not.

I’m back to using my dad’s old brutalist tank of a fully-automatic direct-drive and I’m honestly way happier with it.

If I were buying <$500 brand new right now and didn’t have the option of a $175 Debut Carbon, I’d be looking at the Pioneer PLX-500 (and planning to upgrade the cart) or the AT LP-5. The LP-120 is well regarded but I’m not the biggest fan of the build quality and according to YouTube the anti-skate doesn’t do poo poo.

Yep. A phono preamp is all you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GoodApollo posted:

So two questions:

Having just picked up two SL-1200's with flight cases, a mixer, a CDJ-1000MK3 in a soft carry case, a dozen vinyls, and a pair of unused Concorde Carts, for $400 I'd say that you can do way better.
Realizing that I got a RIDICULOUS deal and that this is probably your first foray into vinyl and you probably don't have any 45's, I'd say :hellyeah: go for it.