Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know what's going on with the save, but for the light bombs run forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Had to turn lock on back on because I couldnt hit things especially when fighting flying stuff like those elves.

I beat my first Valkyrie, it was tense and had way too much health.

Got my 2nd weapon for Kratos its laughably weak compared to everything else without upgrades. Sorta ruined the dramatic moment when I had more success with my fists.

As cool as the combat is so far, the game really doesnt want to give you boss battles like the Stranger huh?

Also climbing sucks and in general everything that doesnt involve fighting on a flat arena is kind of a chore. Assassins Creed this is not.

So far the game is pretty good. Its really cool to play a proper action RPG that isnt Bloodborne for once.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 29, 2018

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

WaltherFeng posted:

Had to turn lock on back on because I couldnt hit things especially when fighting flying stuff like those elves.

Boy's arrows usually target whatever is closest to the centre of the screen so I usually use those to stun (or kill once boy is upgraded) flyers.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty well stalled out in my GMGOW run, but I agree that the Dark Elf King is the first fight that really fucks you up no matter how many upgrades you have. What kept getting me was that he now leaves a bomb whenever he jumps away so I'd be standing there trying to hit him, he'd fly away and I'd just instantly die without knowing why.

What you need to do with him is slow way down, dodge his ranged attacks and wait for him to come to you. All of his melee attacks are easy to dodge and you can get in a few hits during his cooldown, but then back off and wait for another attack you can punish.

Up until that point I could kill everything by being super aggressive with my runes and other combat moves, for this fight you need patience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah at level 9 I basically waltzed by everything up until him and then it was almost 3 hours of attempts. The biggest problem for me was that the bombs give off no aura of light, so I’d be in the dark, attempt to roll into safety, and promptly roll directly into a bomb and die. He’s finally dead and I’m back in the mountain now.

How does the Armor -> Enchantments work? Can you only convert red gear into enchantments?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

GoW has some real issues with these loving trolls.

I thought fighting "Bridge Keeper" was going to be a literal grim reaper.

Nope. Its a reskinned troll.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 29, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah the troll reskins were glaringly lazy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
3 Human fights, 3 Dragons, 6 Ancients, 7 Travelers, 1 Dark Elf, and 7-8 Trolls are the entirety of the games boss fights.

They could literally take the entirety of the existing map, fill it out, add in the missing realms, and just flood the countryside with just spectacle boss fights and GoW2 would be my GoaT

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
There's only about 4 or 5 boss battles total, trolls, ogres and even ancients are just bigger mobs in this game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but 3 of the fights are human sized people and 2 of those are the same guy.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Yeah, I'd agree with that but then I'm not arguing that there is a huge diversity in boss battles, or that there needs to be. The climax of the game isn't even a fight, it's reaching the top of the mountain.

A bit more diversity in enemy types overall would have been nice though.

I've got high hopes for the sequel in that regard though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

At least I got a laugh from some of the promotional material

"Every troll is unique"

They are even using the same pillar as a weapon which makes no sense.

GoW is a good game buuttt I think the early reviews have way inflated scores.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

WaltherFeng posted:

"Every troll is unique"

The sequel will guaranteed have more enemy and boss variety since the engine and main game assets are already in place. They spent so much time on this game working on building the world and mechanics from scratch that variety took a backseat so the game could come out before the end of the decade.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

WaltherFeng posted:

"Every troll is unique"

I don't know. I was very aware of the borderline boring enemies playing it the first time, but it didn't stop me launching a second run. I'd say subjectively this is a 10/10 game for me since I love these kinds of games. I can totally see someone else playing it and going "eh it's good, maybe an 8" thanks to enemy variety and probably the fact that it is a very straightforward action/adventure romp that happens to have very competent combat and the best triangle button ever.

I'm very fired up for the sequel. Going to be great now that the devs have all of these big strong bones to hang meat from.

Super Grocery Kart posted:

The sequel will guaranteed have more enemy and boss variety since the engine and main game assets are already in place. They spent so much time on this game working on building the world and mechanics from scratch that variety took a backseat so the game could come out before the end of the decade.

I remember Balrog talking about this and when he described the way the game was made I was like how the gently caress did you do this? The teams basically went off on their own tangents doing poo poo and they'd come back to the middle and make it work. Sounds like it was organised chaos.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Game Awards GOTY. Not bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:yeah:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Thought the proximity of RDR2's release would've carried it. While I enjoyed RDR2 a lot, I think GOW is the more polished & consistent experience. It's also about as accessible as you can get, and as far as I know, it was the one between the two that didn't have cannibalistic project leads. Glad it won!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GoW is hands down my GotY this year.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

isk posted:

Thought the proximity of RDR2's release would've carried it. While I enjoyed RDR2 a lot, I think GOW is the more polished & consistent experience. It's also about as accessible as you can get, and as far as I know, it was the one between the two that didn't have cannibalistic project leads. Glad it won!

100% same. My favourite game since Witcher 3 as far as how much I was enjoying each moment. Maybe even more enjoyable than Witcher 3 because I got through it fast enough that it didn't blend into a hundred hours of activity.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
For sure it's my angry dad simulator of the year.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This and Spidey were tied for me.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Finally just completed this. 80% done which was all Dwarf missions, Musclepharm up to the Valkyrie fight, no Nifelheim, a couple of rifts still open, etc. Beat one Valkyrie and had a couple of attempts at another and gave up. I think I got my enjoyment out of it.

There was a section of the game around the mine where I thought Atreyu's dialogue got pretty weak but overall I was much more invested in the story than the previous games.

Really would have benefitted from some more tutorial on the party and block early on. Aside from the Valkyries and the rifts there was nothing I really struggled with once you get over the initial difficulty hump on normal. Beat all the first round of Musclepharm challenges on first attempt but probably was overlevelled.

I never got used to the camera though. Whole game even the final boss fight it felt like I was fighting against it. Didn't help that only just finished the GOW III remaster a short while before starting this and had a habit of not using it. It wasn't until maybe an hour past the first Baldur fight that I actually started to enjoy the game.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Any advice for a sane way to go back for all the extra stuff in this game? I completed the story when it released, and wanted to hop back in to chip away at the additional stuff. But:

1. The map is bad.
2. Stuff you haven't found yet is simply listed in the respective zone as "Undiscovered".

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you don’t want to use a guide then not really. There’s nothing in game that will give hints besides the sound the ravens make.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, was trying to make my way through freeing Fafnir and after getting demolished by this big gently caress off knight with Cloud Strife's sword I continued from the check point only to find two revenants and a witch bitch spawned.

I'm way too low level to take those guys on and after about 10 failed attempts I had to reload from a way earlier state.

Why would a check point make it even harder for me after dying? Dad of War gives no fucks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Being able to trigger fights you have no idea you cannot win AND being unable to run away from them after you do is one of the game’s few big failings.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well it’s more that the game’s main storyline is tuned to be beatable at the lowest levels but the side content is all tuned to be done much later than it becomes available. If you routinely stop to check out the optional dungeons you’re gonna get loving stomped.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Well it’s more that the game’s main storyline is tuned to be beatable at the lowest levels but the side content is all tuned to be done much later than it becomes available. If you routinely stop to check out the optional dungeons you’re gonna get loving stomped.

Which would be fine if you could run away and come back later or know that you can’t beat something before you trigger it. It’s a combination of both things happening that makes it bad. The only time you actually can run away is if it’s a fight on a beach you can boat into. If there’s a passage to squeeze through or a wall to climb you’re stuck.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Good to know but like it's been mentioned it sort of just traps you into these situations where you're in for an extremely difficult fight without anyway to escape until you reload from an earlier state.

Now that I'm aware side content is meant for late game, I'll ignore him whenever Boy mentions exploring as an option.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That’s the other thing, there definitely is some stuff you can do as soon as you come across it.

Oh, also, if you’re given a choice between going up a character level or keeping the stats you want, go with the level. Fairly certain there are modifiers on the damage you take based entirely on your level compared to what hit you. So if you’re fighting something level 5 when you’re level 3 you take a stupid amount of damage but if you bump yourself up to level 4 you’ll suddenly take half of that.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
In general it's fine to explore all the areas, but the tear fights are often tough as hell and should be done later.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Renoistic posted:

In general it's fine to explore all the areas, but the tear fights are often tough as hell and should be done later.

Often, but not always...yeah, it's inconsistent and there's no warning as to when you're about to step in over your head. My approach was to just try it and if I died then :shrug: now I know

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I am very bad at this game and every tough fight I win just seems like luck on my part. Can’t stop playing it though

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Apparently platting God of War gives you a special avatar as a reward.

It's nothing I'd ever use, I completely forgot there were avatars tbh, but I guess it's kind of neat to get something even if it's not something I care about.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You also get some cool-looking shield skins for beating the game on GMGOW and NG+. Your just reward for doing everything the game has to offer is... a cosmetic option you'll only see if you play the game again.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

shortspecialbus posted:

Apparently platting God of War gives you a special avatar as a reward.

It's nothing I'd ever use, I completely forgot there were avatars tbh, but I guess it's kind of neat to get something even if it's not something I care about.

If only I ever got any of Sony’s emails. The one company I actually want sending me spam since they actually send useful discounts and I never get a single one.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I picked this up the other day and I have to say a game hasn't sucked me in this hard since Nioh, its a joy to play even when its frustratingly difficult.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I had to take a break of about a day when Boy started to get so lippy that Kratos actually looked up to the sky and practically rolled his eyes in a symbolic gesture of begging his dead wife to grant him the strength to not punt Boy strait across Midgard. It reminded me why I hate kids.

But then I got back to it and found out that it wasn't Boys fault at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I loved that part. It didn't last long enough to get actually annoying but by the time it stopped I was definitely ready to feed BOY to the World Serpent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, Boy slipping in and out of being an angsty pre-teen, and kratos trying not to lose his poo poo over it was a great little touch that made the characters feel more alive.