Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
uk is building a pre-crime ai

dollars to donuts it's exactly as racist as the regular police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
detective chief inspector Microchips Wombley

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

infernal machines posted:

quote:

Police funding has been cut significantly over recent years, so forces need a system that can look at all individuals already known to officers, with the aim of prioritising those who need interventions most urgently, says Iain Donnelly, the police lead on the project.

so better spend 100 million on programmers

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
its too bad that its the cops that are doing it because in the hands of literally any other organization (except for the murder industry ofc) a system that anticipates legal trouble could help people do a lot of good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you know it doesn't actually work, right?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pre crime post profit

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

oi a predictive analytics nicked my freedom guv

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
oi a chav's gonna nick me mobile

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

I think this exact system trialled in some US City a few years ago and turned out to be exactly as racist as you're predicting. I'm sure there's a long read on it somewhere.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

they had one in i think LA that was basically just a loop of "prior arrests? -> arrest again", naturally based on racist data

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

NoneMoreNegative posted:

:cool:

we need a :cyber: emote like cool but w/ a visor or smth

:awesomelon:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

both LA and NOLA used a palantir system that was complete bullshit (like everything they make). it's not clear if the uk solution is based off the same platform, but either way it's likely got the same issues

you could write "neural nets exacerbate existing bias" in mile high flaming letters on the face of the moon and idiots would still be lining up to buy them

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

"neural nets exacerbate existing bias"
feature, not bug

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

both LA and NOLA used a palantir system that was complete bullshit (like everything they make). it's not clear if the uk solution is based off the same platform, but either way it's likely got the same issues

you could write "neural nets exacerbate existing bias" in mile high flaming letters on the face of the moon and idiots would still be lining up to buy them

nola was one of the first places in the country where they rolled out the automatic license plate readers in the patrol cars

i remember thinking wtf were these guys doing just hanging out on the shoulder next to highway offramps watching everyone, before the paper ran the story

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

That, and "if you think you have removed bias from your neural network, you don't understand neural networks", have been neural network research mainstays for thirty goddamn years.

Only racists say these systems aren't racist; most of them are racist by design.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

ran into an old friend of the thread’s at
LaGuardia tonight

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol you were in laguardia

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

fart simpson posted:

lol you were in laguardia

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

oi a chav's gonna nick me mobile

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hypatiadotca/status/1067961286074478592

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

get back to me when you can get press-on nails that are tiny OLED screens displaying real static

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SO DEMANDING posted:

get back to me when you can get press-on nails that are tiny OLED screens displaying real static

you say that like its far away and not within our reach with todays tech.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

wargames posted:

you say that like its far away and not within our reach with todays tech.

"in reach" is one thing, "in stores" is something else

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
especially if you’re Kirk Johnson

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
the other day at work someone tuneda tv to a dead channel accidentally and the audio noise was weirdly periodic. do new tvs fake deadchannel now?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

the other day at work someone tuneda tv to a dead channel accidentally and the audio noise was weirdly periodic. do new tvs fake deadchannel now?

if its analog you might've been picking up a cell tower

if its a digital tuner (ie you can actually view tv channels in 2018) then thats just an audio file

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SO DEMANDING posted:

"in reach" is one thing, "in stores" is something else

El_Elegante posted:

especially if you’re Kirk Johnson

:wow:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

just a normal social network in a normal world~

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I wish my kid was like 3 years older so I could buy her this

Who the hell am I kidding it's $10 I need to buy it and wait until she's older to force it on her.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
we all know you just want it for yourself

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

we all know you just want it for yourself

if it's big enough to fit comfortably why not

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Crusader posted:

ran into an old friend of the thread’s at
LaGuardia tonight

Did it commit suicide by pool too?

:ohdear:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/nickabouzeid/status/1070036774871650304

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the street finds its own use for things

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
does it even count as theft when the scooters are just kind of littering the city haphazardly?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
dystopia says no

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hell yea

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

does it even count as theft when the scooters are just kind of littering the city haphazardly?

not unlesss you can faraday them until the company goes under

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I wonder how hard it would be to convert a garage into a giant Faraday cage 🤔

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Krankenstyle posted:

hell yea

not unlesss you can faraday them until the company goes under

do you have to do this though because part of the kit is stripping out anything that might report back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

gonadic io posted:

do you have to do this though because part of the kit is stripping out anything that might report back

depends on when you want to strip it down I guess

• Locked thread