Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't care about Irish Americans but I'd rather we didn't start another civil war for no reason.

but think of the fun folk songs we’ll get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I don't care about Irish Americans but I'd rather we didn't start another civil war for no reason.

Most Irish-Americans are "Paddy on St. Pat's"-types, but they count their ethnic background as a source of pride. Politicians over here could see giving the UK a kick as a relatively painless way to play to the crowd, especially in the big cities in the NE.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Zeroisanumber posted:

Most Irish-Americans are "Paddy on St. Pat's"-types, but they count their ethnic background as a source of pride. Politicians over here could see giving the UK a kick as a relatively painless way to play to the crowd, especially in the big cities in the NE.

I've always found it hilarious that these people live in a place called "New England"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If you start another civil war Irish-Americans will make you care about them by funneling guns and cash into the conflict.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
iirc, historically starving Ireland has been wildly successful so it has that going for it

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Zeroisanumber posted:

gently caress, we might lose the support of the Boston we don't own!

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Bip Roberts posted:

iirc, historically starving Ireland has been wildly successful so it has that going for it

I cannot wait for all the anti-Irish racism in the States when waves of Irish refugees reach our shores yet again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

I cannot wait for all the anti-Irish racism in the States when waves of Irish refugees reach our shores yet again.

all the american fortune 500s are going to come back?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

gently caress, we might lose the support of the Boston we don't own!

More that we'd jump right in and sign some sort of food import guarantee with the EU to make up for whatever the UK failed to honor. We have literal tons of foodstuffs rotting away in storage for want of a market.

KiteAuraan posted:

I have an old "No Irish Need Apply" sign that I bought at a flea market so I'm set.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

KiteAuraan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27iJsZpQn3A

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Rich Irish Americans sent plenty of funds and other such to the Provos, and the only thing I would think to stop them from doing it again is all the anti-terrorism stuff that cropped up since 1998 thanks to 9-11.
But Trump has probably appointed an incontinent basset hound to oversee whatever agency watches that sort of stuff, so watch out.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Whorelord posted:

I've always found it hilarious that these people live in a place called "New England"

Ireland had their revenge on Cromwell by swamping the former overseas stronghold of the Puritans with loads and loads of Irish immigrants, and essentially taking over Boston and thereabouts.
The hilarious part is imagining the Christmas banning witch hunters getting to see how extremely Catholic their lands have become.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
We've watched Jose survive natural disasters.

Now he's in the path of a man-made disaster.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Jose will get me through Brexit

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

so what is the hardest Brexit possible? B. Johnson with more on this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OhFunny posted:

We've watched Jose survive natural disasters.

Now he's in the path of a man-made disaster.

I'll be fine I'm treating this with even less effort that the hurricane

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Jose posted:

We’re dead.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jose posted:

Is that even possible?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Is that even possible?

his fridge has more ice and less beer

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Yinlock posted:

the whole brexit movement was spearheaded by nigel farage, who is a nazi

but it's more that they're trying to focus blame on the EU(though the eu still loving sucks mind you) rather than macron

How is Farage a nazi? He's a trumpian conman, the guy is desperate above anything to keep his head above the respectability line so he can keep getting on Newsnight and get speaking gigs outside Breitbart.

I don't think Macron and the EU are distinct enough to consider them entirely separate entities. The EU has unfortunately spawned the ECB, the ECB has basically infinite power within the EU and the ECB is entirely neolib scumbags, same as Macron is. Blaming the EU could also be considered blaming the intertwined neolibs but must also be considered blaming the ECB, and that is an entirely rational thing to do. I reckon you're threading a very thin needle with that point.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Trumpian conman lol just say demagogue

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
An ironic white supremacist is still a white supremacist hth

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

KiteAuraan posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

corbyn is being controlled by putin or something lol

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1071334351118442496
https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1071354236879978497

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
how come putin is controlling everyone except centrists hmmmmm :thunk:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Reclines Obesily posted:

Because centrists are the only Sensible people in existence

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Reclines Obesily posted:

centrist opposition doesnt need any more controlling

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Look Corbyn, I want to like you. Now say what you actually want to change in the deal. It's time to stop acting like a Tory or blairite and say what your actual policy will be.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Imagine the ritual scene from Eyes Wide Shut, except the music is The Ballad of Persse O'Reilly.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Dance Officer posted:

Look Corbyn, I want to like you. Now say what you actually want to change in the deal. It's time to stop acting like a Tory or blairite and say what your actual policy will be.

The policy since March 2017 posted:

Ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU

Deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union

Ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities

Defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom

Protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime

Deliver for all regions and nations of the UK

The answer to these is "don't brexit". So there's gonna be a referendum between May's deal, which everyone hates, and ditching this ridiculous shite, which labour voters have come round to

it's been wild

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Spangly A posted:

The answer to these is "don't brexit". So there's gonna be a referendum between May's deal, which everyone hates, and ditching this ridiculous shite, which labour voters have come round to

it's been wild

I mean, have they? I'd like to believe it's true, but I see enough polls saying no-deal would win a referendum to worry.

I suppose what's quite annoying is that he made a big deal of listening to the membership, which is staunchly remain, and hasn't followed through.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dance Officer posted:

Even if you're uncharitable, Labour's policy has been clear since conference in September this year. Pay attention or shut up.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

tarbrush posted:

I mean, have they? I'd like to believe it's true, but I see enough polls saying no-deal would win a referendum to worry.

I suppose what's quite annoying is that he made a big deal of listening to the membership, which is staunchly remain, and hasn't followed through.

no deal is not going to be an option because parliament flat out won't do it, all the tories without personal backers suddenly realised all their 6 figure future jobs would disappear. The six tests only let you remain, I feel vaguely confident that this wasn't corbyn's actual plan (because he had to be fought for this crap) but somehow he can get the right result even when he's trying not to. All power to JC.

watching the tories get completely ruined by actually competent lawyers for two years has turned labour from the guys with the biggest leave seats into the entire party wanting a 2nd ref, which labour will move for (and get) if they don't topple the government by christmas

it's fair to say that corbyn himself has a loving weird idea of democracy if that referendum somehow counts as fair and impartial but somehow all of this hilarious nonsense has actually paved a way to call it off and have the tories take all the blame, so lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

its gonna be interesting if labour gets into power to see what people are gonna post when corbyn does what hes been saying hes gonna do for like a year and does brexit instead of calling it off lol

cuz so far the response seems to be "listen fubpee idiot, corbyns position has been very clear since 2017... but also hes lying and its all a plan to call off brexit"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

This is weak, immersion ruined. No true anachronistic anti-Irish racism would confuse the noble Scots-Irish Protestants of Ulster and their ancestors with the foul Fenian Papists.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hentai Jihadist posted:

its gonna be interesting if labour gets into power to see what people are gonna post when corbyn does what hes been saying hes gonna do for like a year and does brexit instead of calling it off lol

cuz so far the response seems to be "listen fubpee idiot, corbyns position has been very clear since 2017... but also hes lying and its all a plan to call off brexit"

corbyn has said that if he thinks unless we're in a better position after brexit than staying in we'll stay in

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

corbyn has said that if he thinks unless we're in a better position after brexit than staying in we'll stay in

I really hope so

I guess it's kinda moot though, Tories in until 2022
Though it's more than possible they won't have worked a deal out by then lol

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/howthewoodmoves/status/1071385575192752128?s=21

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

How could Obama vote Leave when he was president of the US? :thunk: