Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BabelFish posted:

It's a weird interaction, but can make a lot of interesting designs possible.

Ciaphas posted:

Neat. Wonder if the inner section will open up too, or if that lane of a merge is just blocked in that case.

The mechanic has always worked like this, the only change is that with the high res graphics they're making it slightly more visually apparent. The lane mechanics aren't going to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh so it always blocks one lane on the ingress side when you do that. Gotcha.

Got far enough to build (most of) a mall from copy pasting a blueprint from the net. Feels slightly cheaty, but on the other hand, :effort: so I'll take it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

update: even with visual aids and experimentation, chain signals still loving mystify me somehow

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

What do I want to do to fix the lane-imbalanced smeltery output circled here? Some kind of balancer but I can't work out what or where. (I know it's because of imbalanced iron plate draw offscreen, just working out what to do about it or if it matters.)

If you're set on fixing this issue slapping a single lane belt balancer on the output will equalize it eventually.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Last time I played was in 0.14. Am I going to have any issue if I remove biters, like how back then purple science needed some ripping and tearing?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Last time I played was in 0.14. Am I going to have any issue if I remove biters, like how back then purple science needed some ripping and tearing?

No, alien artifacts and alien science are gone.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ciaphas posted:

Nope. No biters needed.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

update: even with visual aids and experimentation, chain signals still loving mystify me somehow

Normal signals make sure trains don't enter a block if there's another train in it.

Chain signals make sure trains don't enter a block if they won't be able to leave. This is subtle and kind of important.

If you have an intersection, the inside of the intersection will probably be a block. You don't want an empty steel train to stop in the intersection because the steel source is backed up, because it might block the iron train that's bringing iron to turn into steel.

Put chain signals where trains enter intersections to keep them from blocking intersections. Put normal signals where trains exit intersections so the chain signals will know when they've exited the intersection.

It's kind of wacky, I lucked out to have had frustrating experiences in OpenTTD (where they're called "presignals") routing trains a decade ago.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ciaphas posted:

Got far enough to build (most of) a mall from copy pasting a blueprint from the net. Feels slightly cheaty, but on the other hand, :effort: so I'll take it

I really can't emphasize how much this is a bad idea. I mean, you do you, but I would advise that until you've solved a problem yourself, never copy the solution. It's like cheating yourself perfect equipment in Diablo- solving the problems IS the game.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
TTD is still a great game for more than just awesome train action. It’s like 1994 factorio. And luckily openTTD is free these days.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Unreal_One posted:

I really can't emphasize how much this is a bad idea. I mean, you do you, but I would advise that until you've solved a problem yourself, never copy the solution. It's like cheating yourself perfect equipment in Diablo- solving the problems IS the game.

I mean, I've been as far as launching a rocket, just in old versions :v: just sorely testing my memory of how things worked. it's a fair cop though

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Unreal_One posted:

seriously this.there are people who play this game that drat near from the gate are looking up optimized builds people have made for every time of production chain and jut copy and pasting everything.To me the goal and fun of the game is to start off with your own bad ideas and continuing to optimize them. Seeing other peoples ideas can be neat but try to figure out how ways to achieve your vision as much as you can on your own

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

seriously this.there are people who play this game that drat near from the gate are looking up optimized builds people have made for every time of production chain and jut copy and pasting everything.To me the goal and fun of the game is to start off with your own bad ideas and continuing to optimize them. Seeing other peoples ideas can be neat but try to figure out how ways to achieve your vision as much as you can on your own

I'm glad I spent my first 50 hours of the game being original and bumbling through the production chain. Fondest memories of how proud I was with my spaghetti mess. Optimizing after that and taking ideas from other people's builds really made me appreciate how far I'd come.

People are entitled to play the game whichever way they want, but boy do you rob yourself of so much satisfaction and enjoyment if you just immediately get to copying other ideas. I might never ever use spaghetti anymore in my bases, but every time I built a neat bus, or have everything super efficient, I remember the little shitter I used to be and it's nice to see my bases so streamlined compared to the disgustingly inefficient mess they used to be.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah factorio is a puzzle game and using premade solutions is defeating the whole point. Also here's how the train signals work.

Normal signal - is the section in front of me free Y/N
Chain signal - are the sections from here to the next normal signal free Y/N

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Vic posted:

Chain signal - are the sections from here to the next normal signal free Y/N

That's not quite right though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That's not quite right though.

iiiiit's a good start for someone not getting it after reading about it several times. Like me.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Normal signal: go through only if the next section is empty

Chain signal: go through only if the next section is empty, and the next signal will also let you through

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It's starting to make more sense in my head at least, as long as I can remember it this time

I do feel bad about the mall, enough so that I might start over (I need to explicitly disable biters anyway), but something about that general task--making just enough of a bunch of items for you to pick up for construction--just always struck me as boring. Despite it being the whole drat point of the game.

Stuff that fills out belts I'll do all day, stuff that fills out slot-limited boxes? Dunno why it makes a difference but :shrug:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Stuff that fills out belts I'll do all day, stuff that fills out slot-limited boxes? Dunno why it makes a difference but :shrug:

I’ve never used blueprints for the mall but it is mostly drudgery compared to smelteries and mines that fill up trains.

It’s the robots, they make everything too simple.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

It's starting to make more sense in my head at least, as long as I can remember it this time

I do feel bad about the mall, enough so that I might start over (I need to explicitly disable biters anyway), but something about that general task--making just enough of a bunch of items for you to pick up for construction--just always struck me as boring. Despite it being the whole drat point of the game.

Then don't do that. If it's boring, then don't do it. The mall is one approach to solving the game, not the only approach. The game is not about making a mall, and making a mall is not necessary to launch a rocket. You know what *is* important? Stuff that fills out belts so you can launch rockets quickly.

For my next game, I want to make a factory that builds factory components on demand. Instead of a mall churning out all the bits I need constantly, I request what I need and only part of the mall is operating at a time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm kind of annoyed about using the mall BP anyway because the drat thing came with stack inserters and logistics connections and a bunch of recipes i couldn't build yet so now i've got weird blank spots in the thing that bug me more than just building it in the first place

You want something done right... :v:

(edit) you're taking nanobots from my cold dead hands though. beelining those immediately this time now that i know how to use them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
gently caress you if you think i'm gonna figure out the "puzzle" of nuclear. I am stealing a design 100% of the time.

That said, I did make a pretty bus-based design that's copied fairly often so I feel like I gave back to the community :colbert:

e: ASMR everything lined up mmmmmm it's so good, everything's balanced for 1/s and with the new underground belt length I bet I could tweak it so the columns are all lined up too. I ended up rotating the science labs so it's all square and oh yeah that's the stuff

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 7, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The nuclear 'puzzle' is really easy until you try going beyond four reactor setups. But after my first solo attempt at a 24 reactor setup I found my design to be mediocre compared to the infinitely tileable ones available by blueprint.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Quick question while I'm going over mods and stuff before I start again

I've built a rocket, but I never really used fuel blocks from oil except where necessary to make things--never as actual fuel, since coal is like, right there, already running. Bad call? Is that something I should be prioritizing? Do they end up being more efficient--given the electricity needed to create them--than coal at the boiler end? (Last time I got that far, I didn't do solar anything until I was fully logistic'd up, and nuclear power didn't exist.)

I've never been good at the liquid manufacture part of this game either, for whatever reason, though I'm less regularly confused by it than I am fuckin' chain signals :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 7, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Quick question while I'm going over mods and stuff before I start again

I've built a rocket, but I never really used fuel blocks from oil except where necessary to make things--never as actual fuel. Bad call? Is that something I should be prioritizing? Do they end up being more efficient--given the electricity needed to create them--than coal at the boiler end? (Last time I got that far, I didn't do solar anything until I was fully logistic'd up, and nuclear power didn't exist.)

I've never been good at the liquid manufacture part of this game either, for whatever reason, though I'm less regularly confused by it than I am fuckin' chain signals :v:
Not really, you'll never build it specifically except for rocket fuel; petroleum and plastic are going to be your main oil consumers, it just ends up being an overflow output early game before you have advanced cracking unlocked. Coal never really goes away because you need it for military science and once you've moved to electric furnaces and nuclear your boiler dependency goes through the floor, you can use it as an interim step but solid fuel to boiler is never going to be better than nuclear or solar spam without mods that mix things up.

Nuclear slots into that decent midgame once you have a decent amount of steel, sort of have red circuits unlocked and are doing bespoke blues, it's a natural fit to blueprint out a 4 reactor design but only build a single reactor and tear down everything else. It doesn't take much; I found an 8k patch of uranium and it lasted me a bunch of in-game hours.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 7, 2018

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I'm kind of annoyed about using the mall BP anyway because the drat thing came with stack inserters and logistics connections and a bunch of recipes i couldn't build yet so now i've got weird blank spots in the thing that bug me more than just building it in the first place

You want something done right... :v:

(edit) you're taking nanobots from my cold dead hands though. beelining those immediately this time now that i know how to use them.

If you put down the blueprint again, overtop of what's already built, once you've got more recipes unlocked it'll automatically switch the unassigned assemblers to have their intended recipes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Solid fuel increases acceleration for vehicles. If you set it up right for trains it's just a small drain on oil and your trains go faster. Or you keep a stack in your pocket for buggies and tanks.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

zedprime posted:

Solid fuel increases acceleration for vehicles. If you set it up right for trains it's just a small drain on oil and your trains go faster. Or you keep a stack in your pocket for buggies and tanks.

Rocket Fuel gives you even more acceleration (at a slight loss of overall Joules I think) and then nuclear fuel is even better, even if it's really slow to make. I outfit all my trains with nuclear fuel as soon as I can.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Picking signals are about what's after the signal.

Q: If this signal is green, but the next signal is red, will the train stop in a safe location?
Y: Normal signal.
N: Chain signal. Repeat question for next signal.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's easy to get that IDEA but then knowing when to use them is the hard part (the puzzle)
Maybe next session I'll get far enough to start playing around and asking questions. I'm at the point where I made blue science and exhausted the tech options but now yellow is going to be a headache, completely impossible to do with my belt strats. Have to actually use the math machines.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Someone please convince me it's a terrible idea to dump all my ore on one belt and let splitters sort the output.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Solumin posted:

Someone please convince me it's a terrible idea to dump all my ore on one belt and let splitters sort the output.
I mean it's not a bad idea per se but since ore starts pre-sorted it's a little weird to un-sort it just to immediately re-sort

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's kinda pointless to mix them if you're running belts directly from mines, and later in the game you're gonna start having issues with throughput if you do it that way.

but it might be an okay thing to do when you're first doing trains, so that you only need to set up one train stop at your base? and only split them up into separate stations when you run into throughput issues

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've only had to do it when I've had ore patches that overlap.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

How do you guys manage uranium mining outposts? Pipe the acid along the tracks, or bring it in by train?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Enigma posted:

How do you guys manage uranium mining outposts? Pipe the acid along the tracks, or bring it in by train?

I have my uranium train with a cargo car and an acid tanker car, with both cars serviced at both loading and unloading.

In addition, I usually only need one train to service 10+ uranium mines, and you could probably do better than that if you centrifuged on-site.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I've only had to do it when I've had ore patches that overlap.

This is the correct answer because mixed unloaders will back up one ore if the other is not being consumed. I'd recommend sorting on site.

Enigma posted:

Bring via train in either barrels or tanker car. Note the miners don't consume much acid, so barrels are cool and you can store them in the cargo car along with the ore. Just filter the cargo slots.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Look at this guy not using a tanker car full of sulfuric acid just because he can and it looks cool.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I would barrel water and haul it because I'm cool and it looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fill a fluid wagon (or 2 or 3 depending on deposit size) and park it there. Or set up a circuit that only activates it when low. Hauling it with every ore load is non-ideally slower!!!!

Actually who cares, uranium velocity is so low you could convince your brother to log in once a day and haul sulfur and iron plates in a buggy and haul the uranium ore back and still end up with enough power for a super base.