Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Pewdiepie posted:

Ridiculously strong civ. Free expensive classical era tech for no reason? Increased yields on everything? Unique swordsman unit that's a Roman legion except better? Wtf. Not being able to chop isn't important because magnus got nerfed again anyways.

I wonder if the game counts placing a district over a resource as "chopping" it. That would be a pretty good hindrance.

It seems to me that the Maori are very front-loaded, but they are going to be out-classed in the late game unless they have expanded more than anyone else by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Gotta disagree with not being able to chop not being important, chopping was already very important before R&F and would remain so even if Magnus was removed from the game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pewdiepie posted:

50% bonus to harvest and every single one of his other promotions that nobody took have also been nerfed/changed.

Isn't it already 50% bonus?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The Human Crouton posted:

I wonder if the game counts placing a district over a resource as "chopping" it. That would be a pretty good hindrance.

It probably doesn't, you don't get the prod/food boost from doing it. Unless they changed it.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

Isn't it already 50% bonus?

Yes, it's 50% right now. It was more (100?) when Rise and Fall was first released.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kassad posted:

It probably doesn't, you don't get the prod/food boost from doing it. Unless they changed it.

Yeah, but I'm wondering if they programmed it in a way where the removal of the resource is the "harvesting" part, and the pressing of the button to harvest is the thing that gives you the boost, and then calls the harvest function.

Something like that.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Staltran posted:

Gotta disagree with not being able to chop not being important, chopping was already very important before R&F and would remain so even if Magnus was removed from the game.

Yeah I have to agree, I remember pre-RnF I did shennanigans with Limes + walls to overflow +100% chops into other things. And unit policies to do similar things.

I don't think the Maori lose chops (harvesting "features" as opposed to "resources") though. They're just discouraged from chopping due to higher yields from woods and jungles.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kanfy posted:

Another reason why Fall From Heaven 2 remains the best civ game.

I really gotta give getting it working another shot.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Haha, I was actually tearing up a bit during the reveal vid. :cryingkiwi:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Prism posted:

I really gotta give getting it working another shot.

I've been playing the standalone Erebus in the Balance AI/balance modmod on Steam in multiplayer with no issues on Windows 10 a lot recently, and it worked right out of the box. Aside from a weird bug where the AI sometimes starts the game with an elephant we've had no issues at all, not even the out-of-sync problems we used to have back in the day.

Just gotta remember that there are two Mods folders. "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods" won't do it, it's "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods" which isn't confusing at all.

Oh, and putting "mod=\Erebus in the Balance v12" (or whatever mod name, and with quotation marks included) into the game's Launch options on Steam opens the mod of your choice directly which is handy.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 4, 2018

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Maori look dope as hell and I'm super hyped to play them.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Are there any solid mods that people recommend for the game right now? Has anyone tried that AI+ mod, it's pretty vague on what it actually does but an improved AI would be nice.

I'm using

CQUI (very comprehensive ui overhaul, includes build queue, several much more useful vision layers, etc)
Repeat Counterspy (should be a default option but oh well)
Quick Start (no loading movies/company logos etc)
Proverbium (<- the most essential civ 6 mod, replaces tech/wonder quotes)
Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (Giant earth maps are fun)
And Sukritact's Ngorongoro Crater, Blue Hole, and Tonle Sap Natural Wonders just cuz I like them.

There is no magic bullet to fix the AI in Civ 6 i that's what you're looking for.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It would probably be really fun to scout out a good starting place as the Maori for a few turns, but it's pretty clear to me that the best tactic is to take the first decent spot you can and get your free builder, +1 population, and extra production from forests.

Their ability is really that they get the best city on turn 1(or as soon as you can touch land).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
god i loving love the concept of the mechanic that they start in the ocean and have to find a spot to settle

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i do wonder if that will cause problems for your capital city though, since spawns are hard-coded to have bonus resources within the radius

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

i do wonder if that will cause problems for your capital city though, since spawns are hard-coded to have bonus resources within the radius

That's a good point. The Maori palace does give +1 amenity though. So they only really need to find a spot with one luxury.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, now I'm excited to see the Inca. Gimme that weird poo poo.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
To be thematically consistent Canada should have nothing but a series of boring "+X to yield" mechanics

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

In Civ V some of the maps could be entirely land. What happens if you are Maori then in Civ VI, if these sort of maps can still exist?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I thought the tile bonuses they got were a little overpowered, but now I'm thinking they were designed to mitigate this.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The White Dragon posted:

Yea, that's very true. I wonder how far away from land it'll start you or if it's random?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

In Civ V some of the maps could be entirely land. What happens if you are Maori then in Civ VI, if these sort of maps can still exist?
Not a problem since those maps don't exist anymore.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, I'd assume he'd just start on land like when nowhere fulfilled the coded start conditions in V, but it'd be fun if the code ended up force-spawning a single Ocean tile for the Maori settler or something like that. I think we're more likely to occasionally come across the original AI settler still cruising the pacific sometime in the Industrial era than anything game breaking.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mameluke posted:

To be thematically consistent Canada should have nothing but a series of boring "+X to yield" mechanics

Canada should have 90% uninhabitable wilderness and a bonus for having all its cities within 2 tiles of another civilization.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Clarste posted:

Canada should have 90% uninhabitable wilderness and a bonus for having all its cities within 2 tiles of another civilization.
Doesn't the AI already play like that? :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Maori look super powerful. Love the character animations.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Clarste posted:

This but unironically and minus the hyperbole.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My long-standing idea for a Canada civ is that their tile improvements - and now districts I guess - should get bonus yields the more unimproved tiles are adjacent.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Ragnar34 posted:

Okay, now I'm excited to see the Inca. Gimme that weird poo poo.

I'm betting being able to build cities on mountains and tile improvements on mountains. And of course mountains give faith and culture just like every other civs bonus.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gets Dido's mountain-crossing ability from Civ V for 10 turns after declaring a Protectorate War.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Weird civs are the best civs. Give me crazy units and bizarre restrictions balanced by other benefits.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Polynesia on Islands was one of my best experiences in Civ5, be nice if the Maori can reproduce that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Add the Seminole. Bring on a civ that actually likes and thrives on swamp tiles.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Add the Seminole. Bring on a civ that actually likes and thrives on swamp tiles.

Marshes are fairly uncommon as far as terrain features go.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Calusa mod for Civ V is very well done and supports a marsh-heavy playstyle, especially if you use Events & Decisions as well.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cythereal posted:

My long-standing idea for a Canada civ is that their tile improvements - and now districts I guess - should get bonus yields the more unimproved tiles are adjacent.

Hah i like that. Big up-front bonuses which you eventually chip away at when the extra improvements become worth it. Huge savings on builder charges too, and with high yield tiles there's less pressure on growing your population

You'd be getting big yields from improvements built quickly, cheaply, and demanding fewer citizens to work them - spam a few settlers and paint the map with that pattern and you could probably coast on it into the mid-game.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Magil Zeal posted:

Marshes are fairly uncommon as far as terrain features go.

One Seminole power should be that they straight up modify their corner of the map to be swamp shithole slime heaven. This patch land would of course be attractive to certain other civs, which is great, because obviously the Seminole would be mechanically geared for a defensive war on top of presumably reversing the negatives most civs get for fighting in marshland.
Start up a dual map of you versus America, name the save The Last Time Florida Was Good, and just hold out for 5000 years.

Mameluke posted:

The Calusa mod for Civ V is very well done and supports a marsh-heavy playstyle, especially if you use Events & Decisions as well.

Oh hey this looks rad. I never did look into the mod scene for V.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Hungary atomic theme has some Crypt of the Necromancer vibes!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Maori gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymqyIPRYxn4

They keep loving with the globe offscreen as well, it changes position 4-5 times so who knows what civ they'll announce next

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So common wisdom is that Churchill in Civ4 is one of the weakest leaders, but I disagree on the basis that charismatic pays dividends early game with the slightly extra population, protective allows your archers to be better and more defensive, then when you are ready to win when your redcoats come online charismatic makes it easy to get CR3 Macemen->Redcoats which are the strongest city takers of the era by far until you get to Tanks. So the idea is you aggressively expand, win defensive wars until you get rifling then just take over as many cities as you can as you are hitting your power spike which will slingshot you to first place by a healthy margin.

Maybe the issue is that someone like the Aztec's or Mansa Musa are just better because of their powerful traits plus early game advantage which leads to them owning the game before Churchill has a chance to come online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

webmeister posted:

Maori gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymqyIPRYxn4

They keep loving with the globe offscreen as well, it changes position 4-5 times so who knows what civ they'll announce next

They're finally closing the boosted production overflow exploit. Good.