Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I like smooth piano jazz. BGM Channel on YouTube is great.

I also like lo-fi hip hop. Chilledcow's stuff in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Queen Combat posted:

I like smooth piano jazz. BGM Channel on YouTube is great.

I also like lo-fi hip hop. Chilledcow's stuff in particular.

hell yeah! I used to be an angry little punk and felt sort of obliged by that identity to make my listening choices accordingly, and I cannot tell you how much better my life got in almost every conceivable way once I gave into my inner softie and admitted that what I really wanted was, basically, 80s Weather Channel music (aka smooth jazz, among other names).

or like those albums that are very much of a Certain Era comprised entirely of pop songs rearranged as instrumental easy listening :discourse:

I'd link you to some but it appears Google managed to make its search results even worse while I was sleeping

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Tiggum posted:

Strawberry is the best ice-cream flavour and it's a tragedy and an outrage that the good brands only sell it in combination with chocolate and vanilla. I can get a whole 4 litres of cheap, lovely strawberry ice-cream, or buy good strawberry ice-cream but 2/3rds of the tub is other, less good flavours.

I'm positive I've seen regular ol' strawberry by Haagan Dazs. Unless that's what you mean by "in combo with vanilla." Are you talking about the all-pink stuff like you see in neapolitan? Because now I want some.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I want a strawberry ice cream without chunks in it. Agreed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

artsy fartsy posted:

Are you talking about the all-pink stuff like you see in neapolitan?
Yes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thinking critically about the media you consume isn't good or bad, it's a thing you can choose to do if you so wish. The idea that it's good, or that people should think critically about the media about they consume, is something people tell themselves to make themselves feel better about how much of their life is just consuming media.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I only have a few criteria for judging my media: does it actively annoy me (low tier, stuff like mama medium), is it good background noise that I can leave on all day while I only pay half attention to it (american pickers/pawn stars tier), and does it make me feel enough emotions that I might actually focus on it instead of drinking/loving around on my computer the whole time. Anything beyond that I'm not super interested in, at least as far as quality/artistic merit goes. All that matters to me is whether I like it or not, whether it's a masterpiece of cinema or a trashy romantic comedy.

If somebody is Wrong On The Internet about a show/movie though I will endlessly argue minutiae about it. It helps me justify the absurd amount of time i've spent watching and rewatching the same stuff over and over, like at least that knowledge is being put to some use. I hate being the "well actually" guy especially when it comes to nerd poo poo like stargate sg1 and harry potter, but sometimes i've just gotta do it to them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's only really annoying when you get someone saying, "Why do you like this when YouTuber/forums poster/Internet critic X has PROVED that it is actually bad??!!"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Uncritically consuming whatever slop is shoved infront of you is how we got to this cultural dark age. The fact the media to you is literally just bright colors and loud noises is a sign that you're intellectually a toddler, not that you've achieved some sort of consumption nirvana.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I critically analyze every episode of 90 Day Fiancé and that means I'm smarter and better than you.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I critically analyze every episode of 90 Day Fiancé and that means I'm smarter and better than you.

Unironically you are

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MizPiz posted:

Uncritically consuming whatever slop is shoved infront of you is how we got to this cultural dark age. The fact the media to you is literally just bright colors and loud noises is a sign that you're intellectually a toddler, not that you've achieved some sort of consumption nirvana.

media has nothing to do with intellect. I save my intellect for my job, media only has one job: be entertaining. If it's intellectually challenging that sounds a lot more like work to me and if I'm not getting paid, forget it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MizPiz posted:

this cultural dark age
What fictional utopia are you comparing the modern world to?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

What fictional utopia are you comparing the modern world to?

One where people actually try to make good art

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

There's literally no difference between one person who spends their weekend catching up on the last season of Vanderpump Rules and just enjoys the show on a surface level and someone who spends their weekend catching up on the last season of Vanderpump Rules and enjoys it on a surface level while also thinking very critically about the messages it's presenting. You're just watching Vanderpump Rules.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

So, now? There's more art being made now than any other time in human history. And by like, a massive degree. There are more kinds of art now than ever. You are living in the single greatest explosion of creativity in human history.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gripweed posted:

So, now? There's more art being made now than any other time in human history. And by like, a massive degree. There are more kinds of art now than ever. You are living in the single greatest explosion of creativity in human history.

That avatar really doesn't help this post

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think thinking critically about the messages even a lovely reality show presents has value.

Random example: I've been listening to a true crime podcast and it got me thinking about how often I root for the (real) cops in these stories vs how I view cops in my daily life.True crime characterizes cops as heroes and good guys because you're listening to the 1% of cops that go after and catch horrible murderers and rapists and so on. You focus on Good Policing and ignore the many instances of Bad Policing that don't make for a good hour-long crime story. You don't hear about how the hero detective once shot a black teenager in '77 and got away with it. If you don't think critically about it and just take the hero cops at face value then you're going to end up with hosed up views.

Hero worship of celebrities can end up doing similar stuff. Trump's TV image as a Big Successful Business Man uncritically assessed is how there's still people insisting he's oh-so-smart and talented.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is better not to have heroes because they'll always let you down (particularly the politicians - don't have a politician as your hero).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It has value but calling someone who doesn't watch things with that mindset 100% of the time a "toddler" is asinine. You can be very aware of those types of problems with society and still enjoy entertainment media that glosses over it. When it comes to the news media and stuff that is meant to be taken seriously, then yes you shouldn't have this same "shut your brain off" mentality, but I'm not going to wring my hands over the poor state of mental health care in this country when I see american pickers visit a home of a hoarder or whatever. I'll save the outrage for situations where it actually matters/can make a difference.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You reminded me of a PHUO of my own. Long form true crime sucks. None of these stories warrant 8-10 hours of exploration and could have been better off keeping it under 2, oten less. A good documentary filmmaker/radio host would have cut out 90% of the fat.

The only good one was the Jinx which still would have been much better as a feature length doc.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It has value but calling someone who doesn't watch things with that mindset 100% of the time a "toddler" is asinine. You can be very aware of those types of problems with society and still enjoy entertainment media that glosses over it. When it comes to the news media and stuff that is meant to be taken seriously, then yes you shouldn't have this same "shut your brain off" mentality, but I'm not going to wring my hands over the poor state of mental health care in this country when I see american pickers visit a home of a hoarder or whatever. I'll save the outrage for situations where it actually matters/can make a difference.

Yeah, seriously. Life can be stressful and sometimes people just want some dumb distraction and aren't looking to be challenged by entertainment. I do think it's weird when I look at people like my parents and that's all they watch. But for me, I like to watch dumb horror movies with no critical analysis after a long day and I don't want to have an opinion on them other than "that was fun/that sucked"

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Dec 8, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is better not to have heroes because they'll always let you down (particularly the politicians - don't have a politician as your hero).

That's why my hero is Comrade Stalin

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Stalin wouldn't have been taken seriously if not for his luxuriant moustache.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, seriously. Life can be stressful and sometimes people just want some dumb distraction and aren't looking to be challenged by entertainment. I do think it's weird when I look at people like my parents and that's all they watch. But for me, I like to watch dumb horror movies with no critical analysis after a long day and I don't want to have an opinion on them other than "that was fun/that sucked"

Yeah, I watch cooking shows, or sitcoms, for that. It takes a different mind set and mood to watch a "serious drama". It's similar to just loving around in a video game vs. trying to achieve something, playing a competitive mode against other people, etc.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

the only thing you're doing is pushing a dumb point with every other post being pointlessly dunking on someone, guy.

hey, that sounds familiar..

here's my opinion for the whenever: this is the age where people can create any kind of stupid fantasy world they want and have people rave over it until the end of time, if the least of their worries is "maybe people won't be pulled in by this", they can just tool it around until they're content with what they're putting out there, and if people don't want to take that risk, they don't have to, they can do something else.

MizPiz posted:

And who says you are the decider on the age of "people trying to make good art?" For every Seth Rogen or Uwe Boll who just want to make the lowest form of garbage for money, you get five Quinton Tarantinos or Edgar Wrights, who put their soul and precision into making sure their movies are all instant classics. (Warning: no statistics to back this up)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

And who says you are the decider on the age of "people trying to make good art?" For every Seth Rogen or Uwe Boll who just want to make the lowest form of garbage for money, you get five Quinton Tarantinos or Edgar Wrights, who put their soul and precision into making sure their movies are all instant classics. (Warning: no statistics to back this up)

Trying to make good art does not guarantee it will be good and, and trying to make art that will sell does not guarantee it will be bad. The world is complicated.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Snow is extremely good, and expecting it to coat you each winter after a warm, exciting outdoor summer is a sign that you live in one of the beautiful, perfect parts of the world that have four distinct seasons. Living somewhere with forever-weather or even worse, the middle "hell heat, then brown and foggy for a bit, then hell again" loving sucks in comparison. Embrace the goddam beautiful winter. Drink a peppermint cocoa. Appreciate how loving beautiful the small and idyllic temperate belt is.

*PHUO is abstained if you live in the extreme north, you're far in the minority but it's equally as lovely as living in the foreverheat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol at Quentin Tarantino and Edgar Wright being prime examples of good art and Seth Rogan being somehow in the realm of Uwe Boll.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You might not enjoy Seth Rogan but the dude is sure as poo poo not some sellout hack.

Also, cancelling Freaks and Geeks was a crime against first world humanity

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Snow is extremely good, and expecting it to coat you each winter after a warm, exciting outdoor summer is a sign that you live in one of the beautiful, perfect parts of the world that have four distinct seasons. Living somewhere with forever-weather or even worse, the middle "hell heat, then brown and foggy for a bit, then hell again" loving sucks in comparison. Embrace the goddam beautiful winter. Drink a peppermint cocoa. Appreciate how loving beautiful the small and idyllic temperate belt is.

*PHUO is abstained if you live in the extreme north, you're far in the minority but it's equally as lovely as living in the foreverheat

Personally I'm one of those weirdos that thinks the permanent winter far north actually sounds nice.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You might not enjoy Seth Rogan but the dude is sure as poo poo not some sellout hack.

sausage party begs to differ

veni veni veni posted:

Lol at Quentin Tarantino and Edgar Wright being prime examples of good art and Seth Rogan being somehow in the realm of Uwe Boll.

almost like good movies don't suck

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Personally I'm one of those weirdos that thinks the permanent winter far north actually sounds nice.

I'd absolutely choose it over the tropics tbh

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I always want it to be cold until it gets cold and then I want the warmth back. I’m certainly a complicated man.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MizPiz posted:

Uncritically consuming whatever slop is shoved infront of you is how we got to this cultural dark age.

MizPiz posted:

MizPiz posted:

This is some douchey garbage my dude. Ah yes, this "cultural dark age" wherein women, PoC and LGBTQ have more of a voice than ever before, being able to tell their stories and experiences more than ever, to a wider audience than ever, while also being able to greater normalize and make people like them feel more appreciated or at the very least acknowledged and catered to for once. The barrier of entry being lowered as the quality of production goes up, allowing more minorities all the time to make their way into previously moneyed-only productions and space. Neurotypical people and many mental illnesses in media being destigmatized more, as sufferers themselves are able to better present things and not be locked in some hellhole at a whim now, as well as the creeps pushing those horrible old depictions being tolerated even less. The ability for abuse survivors to rally around a huge movement to call out and tar their powerful abusers, with more people willing to take their side than ever. LGBTQ people's struggles and successes gaining more recognition all the time, as lovely old bigots die and their pathetic loser next generation being primarily composed of 4chins frogmen and fraud crypto-nazis mostly trying to fleece those same morons. Kiss my whole rear end if you're gonna throw away the huge spread of minority accomplishments in artwork, media and society that we've gone through this generation, just so you can be the smarmy arbiter of taste and "culture" you wanna pretend to be.

Also nice trying to dodge out of the point that blew you out with nothing better than "hurr ur avatar" to Gripweed too.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Dec 9, 2018

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

highly political content

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah. I know I called for a no politics rule in this thread, but I regret doing that in such absolute terms. I dunno what to say to things a lot of the time, politics is everywhere once you scratch the surface even a little.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

doverhog posted:

Yeah. I know I called for a no politics rule in this thread, but I regret doing that in such absolute terms. I dunno what to say to things a lot of the time, politics is everywhere once you scratch the surface even a little.

I even tried to restrain the political measure I went into with that post, but "Muh cultuuuure" is just such a gross dogwhistle 99% of the time that some of it spilled out anyway in addressing it, it was kind of unavoidable.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

doverhog posted:

Perhaps you should have instituted a “some politics” rule instead of going scorched earth. Feel free to pm me for more discussion or, in the interests of full transparency, continue the conversation in the thread.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

Perhaps you should have instituted a “some politics” rule instead of going scorched earth.

More like oldnuanceful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe but the nights that last weeks probably aren’t.