Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Let's also not let get lost in the discussion the fact that once the Fox purchase goes through, Disney will own a 2/3rd share of Hulu with Comcast being the minority shareholder. This is gonna lead to some probably very interesting things happening to the service in the next few years. When I say interesting, I mean probably bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

zoux posted:

Since it only costs $4 more a month, I can't believe that there are people willing to pay $8 a month and sit through ads but not $12 a month. But there are tons of them!

I think it comes down to value. Why pay as much as Netflix when the bulk of content on there is just stuff from TV that you can technically already watch at no additional cost to yourself? That 4 bux can already put you part way into a sub on another service with more exclusive content. If Hulu had way more original stuff, or just more stuff in general, then I would completely agree though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I think it comes down to value. Why pay as much as Netflix when the bulk of content on there is just stuff from TV that you can technically already watch at no additional cost to yourself? That 4 bux can already put you part way into a sub on another service with more exclusive content. If Hulu had way more original stuff, or just more stuff in general, then I would completely agree though.

On the other hand it's four dollars.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah that you could put toward another service. And have two services, instead of just Hulu.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Let's also not let get lost in the discussion the fact that once the Fox purchase goes through, Disney will own a 2/3rd share of Hulu with Comcast being the minority shareholder. This is gonna lead to some probably very interesting things happening to the service in the next few years. When I say interesting, I mean probably bad.

Word was that AT&T wanted to drop its 10% stake too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I don't know about all these streaming services. I'm not subscribed to any of them. I might go for the Disney one but only if they put all their old animated shorts on it, which I have a feeling they might not do. The Star Wars show is tempting but I'd wait and pay for a dvd once than pay for a monthly subscription since that's really the only other new thing I'm interested in atm. :shrug:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

zoux posted:

What am I, made of money?! That $4 goes towards the $15 I gotta pay just to add HBO to my existing Prime.

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah that you could put toward another service. And have two services, instead of just Hulu.

2 services!? What is this, 2010!?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Man, I don't know about all these streaming services. I'm not subscribed to any of them.

Yep it's 2010, I've gone back in time. I'll have to check TV guide to see what time Mad Men is on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My cable bill was like 160 so I could subscribe to 10 more streaming services before I'm back to that level.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yep it's 2010, I've gone back in time. I'll have to check TV guide to see what time Mad Men is on.

I mostly watch things on dvd.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ugh god, no.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

zoux posted:

Since it only costs $4 more a month, I can't believe that there are people willing to pay $8 a month and sit through ads but not $12 a month. But there are tons of them!

They ran a deal on Black Friday for $1/month for a year of the basic package, so it's more like paying an extra $11/month.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mostly watch things on dvd.

Aaah! It's 2005!!?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Aaah! It's 2005!!?

Honestly, I don't even own a Blu-ray player.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I buy Marvel, Star wars and other stuff on bluray so I have access to them, because I don't want to have my desire to watch Ghostbusters or Big Lebowski be thwarted because a streaming service didn't want to pay the license fee.

I will get the Disney streaming service as I think it will be pretty content heavy, buying fox plus their own catalog puts tons of movies and tv shows on there, plus original content.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Honestly, I don't even own a Blu-ray player.

Yeah I don't either and honestly I piggyback on all my streaming services so I'm barely keeping up. I don't know what I'm going to do about this Disney one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

sticksy posted:

This is the weirdest speculation I've seen in some time. Where is there any indication whatsoever that Netflix would possibly go to ad-based when they're still growing globally under the current model?

There's been rumors of them going ad-based for all of 2018, they've tested ads in between episodes already, and they're losing a bunch of Disney and Marvel stuff right now and in the near future. It's entirely possible they have no plans to go ad-based, but there have been hundreds of articles written about the possibility all year.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

There's been rumors of them going ad-based for all of 2018, they've tested ads in between episodes already, and they're losing a bunch of Disney and Marvel stuff right now and in the near future. It's entirely possible they have no plans to go ad-based, but there have been hundreds of articles written about the possibility all year.

There has been literally zero speculation of them going "ad-based", other than possibly in your mind. There was a limited tryout of trailers between shows, which was negatively received and hasn't been rolled out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hate ads with all my heart, but I gotta say, if it came down to it I'd rather, although not at all by a huge margin, have ads than auto-playing trailers on the selection screen and the next episode when one is over, auto-skipping credits and inserting splash ads for other shows, and even just tryouts for those interstitial ads. It's one thing to sell your airtime to another company, but using it to advertise essentially itself feels sleazy at the most basic level.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Norwegian Rudo posted:

There has been literally zero speculation of them going "ad-based", other than possibly in your mind.

Ad-supported Netflix Could Be Right Around the Corner

Ad-supported Netflix a reality soon?

Netflix: 'Ad-Supported Internet Video Big Force In The Market'

If Netflix adds ads, it could lose a quarter of its subscribers

Should there be advertising on Netflix?

Netflix Will Have Ads, And Other Predictions From Top TV Ad Chiefs

Netflix will get ads, predicts The Trade Desk CEO Jeff Green

Netflix tries to shut down rumors about it adding commercials

Ads on Netflix? We doubt it

As Netflix Becomes Most Valuable Media Company, Will Ads Follow?

What Would Commercials Do to Netflix?

Advertising on Netflix - Is it on its way?

Netflix Thinks It Could Earn $1B by Interrupting Your Binge With Ads

Dumbass.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Those are all (?) from advertising industry sites. Of course they are going to try to push the benefits of Netflix adding ads, because the advertising industry would make tons from it. Other than trailers there has been no speculation in the entertainment community, which is where it would leak if there were any truth to it.

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 5, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there was a bunch of hubub about netflix running ads for other netflix shows in between episodes this year, i think it was just a pilot program and not ads in the traditional tv sense, but netflix has been teasing it

site fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 5, 2018

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I normally look forward to the CW shows (minus Supergirl) but they are getting pretty boring. Hopefully this cross-over event is cool.
  • Arrow - oh no, meet the new bow-person, same as the old bow-person
  • Flash - oh no, another speed person, and turns out they aren't new at all
Legends of Tomorrow is mildly entertaining, go figure.

Gifted is still keeping my attention, though Jace is the biggest baby-bitch antagonist ever.

Titans is where it's at now.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

site posted:

there was a bunch of hubub about netflix running ads for other netflix shows in between episodes this year, i think it was just a pilot program and not ads in the traditional tv sense, but netflix has been teasing it

I mentioned that, but "ad-based" signifies that's where they are getting most of their income and trailers for other Netflix shows brings in zero dollars.

The only thing I can see them doing is adding an ad-based tier locally to allow them to significantly lower their prices in low-income countries, like India. Here's an in-depth article that among other things mentions that Netflix is at a significant disadvantage regarding growth there because their prices are above most people's limit:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/netflix-disney-amazon-who-wins-war-streaming-india-1164252

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TBH, I am shocked they haven't done more testing of preroll ads. Actual ad breaks, however, I think might be a no go, since the bulk of their content (movies and originals) have no ad break spaces in them. I feel like Hulu would be a lot less intrusive if it stuck with a longer preroll ad, instead of normal, but very short ad breaks.

Regarding this week's Flash: Does anyone understand how the timeline is supposed to be working right now with regards to Nora's 2049 and the guy who I assume to be Eobard Thawne, who is for some reason has Well's face in the future?

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 5, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ToastyPotato posted:

TBH, I am shocked they haven't done more testing of preroll ads. Actual ad breaks, however, I think might be a no go, since the bulk of their content (movies and originals) have no ad break spaces in them. I feel like Hulu would be a lot less intrusive if it stuck with a longer preroll ad, instead of normal, but very short ad breaks.

Regarding this week's Flash: Does anyone understand how the timeline is supposed to be working right now with regards to Nora's 2049 and the guy who I assume to be Eobard Thawne, who is for some reason has Well's face in the future?

Answer: Speedforce

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ToastyPotato posted:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Does Happy still count for this thread, seeing as they left the confines of the comic in the first season already? Regardless, here's a peek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeUs9EkhSSI

Feels kinda more Garth Ennis than Grant Morrison now. In fact it feels remarkably like they're trying to be Preacher, but Preacher is pretty bad at being Preacher so I guess I'm on board with it.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
We have to wait until April for season two?!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Betteridge's law of headlines

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

That's a lot of poo poo I'm not clicking on.

In other news:

Bawm bawm bawm-bawm
BAWM bawm bA bawm
Bawm bawm bawm-bawm
BAWM bawm bA bawm

Titans was weird but I'm into it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This week's Titans episode was really good. Easily one of the strongest episodes of the season for me, even if it was pretty much a filler. I want a Hawk and Dove miniseries even more now.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Apparently Netflix UK is going to put up all of Titans like two weeks after the last episode is released in the US. A bit disappointing IMO, as far as I know most American shows they pick up are released at the same time or close to the US release weekly.

Glad to hear that it's better than the marketing made it look, have to remember to give it a go.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I approve of this use of Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now"

https://twitter.com/UmbrellaAcad/status/1071571379319795712

still need to read the comic tho

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There's a lot of weird stuff from the comics that I have no idea how a cheap Netflix series can handle, aside from skipping it altogether like they seem to be done with Number 1.

edit: They also seem to be doing both books in one season? I don't remember the masked psychos in the first one.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 9, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh wow is that Billy Bones from Black Sails as Luther?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Samuringa posted:

There's a lot of weird stuff from the comics that I have no idea how a cheap Netflix series can handle, aside from skipping it altogether like they seem to be done with Number 1.

edit: They also seem to be doing both books in one season? I don't remember the masked psychos in the first one.

Well, it's not like the first mini would make much of a TV series, it is a little thin on plot.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Never read the comic, but are they supposed to be in school? As in teenagers? The only one I recognized was Ellen Paige and uh she's too old to be playing a high schooler. All of them are actually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Heathen posted:

Never read the comic, but are they supposed to be in school? As in teenagers? The only one I recognized was Ellen Paige and uh she's too old to be playing a high schooler. All of them are actually.

Never watch movies from the 70s, it'll blow your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Heathen posted:

No, all of them are adults by the time the comics roll in. Except Number 5 because his power is time traveling but he hosed up and is unstuck from time and perpetually a kid.

edit: I am getting the weird feeling that I'm the only one in the subforum who read Umbrella Academy...