Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The overheal passive is actually not very useful on the final boss. For your pure DPS, it's a slot not dedicated to dealing extra damage. And for survival, the offense/defense phys/elem up is just outright a better use for the slot for a huge number of reasons. Raw HP isn't super important in either fight, the first one because your goal is to avoid any of the bosses' actually dangerous attacks (because they don't care how much HP you have), and the second one because you should have team-wide dodge + warmaster mostly turning it into a complete joke.

It's not a bad pick for entirely support dedicated characters just for extra safety though, but often (especially in the first form) if you've got more than 1 person dead the fight is going to be a wipe anyway.

There's a ton of different setups you can use to beat it though, 95% of the fight is just learning its patterns/breaks and how to avoid anything dangerous. I had like 3 characters who were entirely dead weight just tossing items mostly, including Thereon who I forgot to even put equipment on. Didn't need Dohter’s Charity or an Alchemist at all either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

One more thing: do 10-Star Challenge/Provoke characters actually have anything worth grinding them for? I thought I’d read that some of them can drop duplicate Battle-tested gear, but I wanna know for sure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Regalingualius posted:

One more thing: do 10-Star Challenge/Provoke characters actually have anything worth grinding them for? I thought I’d read that some of them can drop duplicate Battle-tested gear, but I wanna know for sure.

Some of them can drop Battle-Tested weapons, but it's a 3% drop.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Aaaand got it on the second try.

I wound up taking the advice of giving everyone the Runemaster and Warmaster perma-buffs, along with the Saving Grace shenanigans. Also slapped Resist Ailment on my support characters, but... honestly, I don’t know how much that wound up helping in the end.

I was actually kind of surprised at how much easier the second half was compared to the first. I’d been mentally preparing for it to be on par with the first, but I wound up accidentally finishing him off with Runelord’s divine skill trying to break him.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yep the second form is almost a complete joke if you can just feed a Warmaster fast enough, it really surprised me too. I thought the final bit was going to have some insane gently caress-off stuff going on with that 99 hit break meter, or respawn the first bits, but no it just kinda dies and doesn't do much because Warmaster clobbers too hard.

If you want to see some crazy horseshit, you have to watch what the boss can do in it's yellow life phase if you don't skip it entirely. Like it has an attack that just indefinitely removes a member of your party from the fight. I'm not sure if you can even get them back, maybe if you destroy all the bits? Also some debuff effects that are outright unremovable, petrify, etc. It's outrageous.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yep the second form is almost a complete joke if you can just feed a Warmaster fast enough, it really surprised me too. I thought the final bit was going to have some insane gently caress-off stuff going on with that 99 hit break meter, or respawn the first bits, but no it just kinda dies and doesn't do much because Warmaster clobbers too hard.

If you want to see some crazy horseshit, you have to watch what the boss can do in it's yellow life phase if you don't skip it entirely. Like it has an attack that just indefinitely removes a member of your party from the fight. I'm not sure if you can even get them back, maybe if you destroy all the bits? Also some debuff effects that are outright unremovable, petrify, etc. It's outrageous.

Yep, Phase 2 has some absolute bullshit stuff it can pull if you're slow, or unlucky with RNG. In particular, he has a Fallen Angel move -- he does an emote, and if you don't break him on that turn, his next move sets everyone to 1HP, drains all BP, and adds the drained BP to his break shield. There's also a move that's a guaranteed kill on one party member, completely bypassing HP or buffs.

Also, the order in which you kill the limbs on phase 2 matters -- whenever you kill one, the remaining bits get a buff, and some of them are ridiculously nasty. i.e. if you kill the mouth last, it reduces everyone's max HP every turn, and you don't get it back when it dies. Two of the limbs have abilities that prevent the party from using either physical attacks or magic attacks until they're broken, and if they both go off it at once, the only way to make progress on the fight is by throwing soulstones.

Basically the entire phase 2 fight tactic is "feed everyone a fuckton of BP and dump out as much absurd damage as possible before the RNG decides to totally gently caress you."

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

On my winning run, he did the fallen angel move, and then I just fed a BP item to my warmaster and he wiped the field.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...And now I’ve seen video proof of someone beating both stages of the final boss in under five minutes.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Just got the game.

A lot harder than I was expecting, rolled up with Cyrus and the first boss game overed me twice.

Grabbed H'aanit and am now doing Ophilia's prequel tale.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
After playing this game on and off, finally sat down to finish my last two Chapter 4s so I can move onto Smash with no regrets.

Solid game. No intention of doing the final boss stuff, so will probably just watch it online.

And my dumb personal rankings:

Overall story: Ophilia > Olberic > Cyrus > Primrose > Alfyn > Tressa > Therion > H'aanit

Overall character: Olberic > Primrose > Tressa > Cyrus > Alfyn > Ophilia > H'aanit > Therion

My memory isn't super clear on all of them though considering a big time gap between playing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

There’s also a final boss rush that only unlocks after you beat everyone’s story and do a few side stories.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I just finished all my chapter 4s too. I also completed all the advanced jobs (before chapter 4s, which I recommend) and all the non-postgame quests, and about half of the third-ring optional dungeons. I might play through to the end eventually but I feel the game is sufficiently complete to move onto something else for a while.

I'm still surprised how broken Runelord is. Almost all my chapter 4 boss fights went: Transfer Rune, Elemental Rune matching weakness, break boss, spam with non-boosted high EA weapons from entire party, hit with Steorra's Prophecy if needed, and few really went past that first break.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, Runelord is pretty insane even if you're not doing the Tressa shenanigans.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I grabbed this while the digital was on sale at Best Buy. Just getting into it now, and so far I like it. I finished Olberic's opening, and immediately went towards Tressa just for the heck of it. Working on her story now.

I really the Break/Boost system. This game scratches an itch that I haven't touched in ages, drat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You went to Tressa because Tressa owns.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just finished all the chapter 1s and am at Snowstill and man the grinding is gonna be heavy, isn't it? My level range is 15-20 and I'm still getting my rear end kicked by the monsters outside the easiest ch 2 area; I can only do one or two fights before having to go to rest again and I'm not making money fast enough to fit my party with gear in a timely fashion. And that's after savescumming a bunch of thefts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Some Numbers posted:

You went to Tressa because Tressa owns.

This but Therion.

Argue posted:

I just finished all the chapter 1s and am at Snowstill and man the grinding is gonna be heavy, isn't it? My level range is 15-20 and I'm still getting my rear end kicked by the monsters outside the easiest ch 2 area; I can only do one or two fights before having to go to rest again and I'm not making money fast enough to fit my party with gear in a timely fashion. And that's after savescumming a bunch of thefts.

Steal gear, allure NPCs, learn what the enemy's weak points are and break them asap (focus fire as needed) since you'll shred them then. The grind isn't that heavy, especially if you're exploring a bunch and/or stole a couple good weapons for people. The Forest of No Return has a purple chest not too far from the save point near the entrance that has a good elemental atk weapon in it. The biggest risk is trying to get to the chest and back to the save point without getting in a fight (or getting killed before you flee if you get in a fight).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just always steal. 15% and up is good for a couple of resets. After that make sure you're doing the extra dungeons. You'll always be on level if you do those. Never had to grind once aside from stealing low percentage things. But that was a choice.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Argue posted:

This is the only real rough spot I had vis-a-vis grinding until the endgame, where you're too strong for the the chapter 1 areas but not quite beefy enough for the Chapter 2 areas. My suggestion is to go find the optional dungeons between the chapter 1 towns. Most of them have decently strong enemies to train on, good loot, and a number of them have sidequests associated with them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Alternatively, use Evasive Maneuvers on Cyrus, trigger a battle on the transition between the Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 areas to reset the encounter tracker (I'm assuming, I may be wrong in how it actually works), then beeline to the shrines (three columns) on the map (I believe running still triggers randoms less than walking with EM), then fast travel back once you've gotten what they hold. By doing this you'll get one encounter at most and get some stuff to seriously buff up your characters.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Mega64 posted:

Alternatively, use Evasive Maneuvers on Cyrus, trigger a battle on the transition between the Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 areas to reset the encounter tracker (I'm assuming, I may be wrong in how it actually works), then beeline to the shrines (three columns) on the map (I believe running still triggers randoms less than walking with EM), then fast travel back once you've gotten what they hold. By doing this you'll get one encounter at most and get some stuff to seriously buff up your characters.

Zoning resets your danger level, so all you have to do is beeline with EM up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ugh, the wolf in the forest of purgation or whatever, is properly loving me over. I cruised through the chapter fours after getting the special classes and 3 of the extra dungeons, but I've died three times to this dude. I've been playing it somewhat defensively, using a group sidestep to avoid all damage, but his lunar howl puts a monkey wrench in that plan eventually. Saving Grace only gets you so far, he hits hard and when he's got 3 respectable minions you lose the 9999hp advantage pretty fast. I don't know if it's better to just go in as aggressive as possible, but I don't think that'll work because the minions protect the big wolf, and since they all have different weakness points, I'd be dead before I can start hitting him.

I've been using Alfyn to Concoct, Tressa to Sidestep, Primrose/Sorcerer as the main offensive on the Big Wolf, and Therion/Merchant to be a backup BP battery and help deal with the smaller wolves, but he's less useful in that regard. I could swap Therion out for a Battlemaster H'aanit but I may even have to go as far as switching their classes around. Not sure what to do.

Now I'm about 3 levels under the recommended level, 55 vs 58, but I didn't think it'd be this tough. I'm thinking it may be best to finish the other extra dungeons, use any new gear I may find and come back and try again once I'm slightly leveled up?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well finally beat all the sidequests. I do like the writing in the game, it's consistent to itself, excepting whatever happened to Primrose's part 4.

Started doing one of the bosses in the post-game, and I can't be bothered. I played pretty intensely, maybe a break will do but I'm somewhat underleveled 57-61 overall and something tells me that won't cut it.

I have no desire to grind. I think I'll check a video out of that and call it a day. Trade this in and get Dark Souls or something.

It's been a fun game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's a good bit of grinding, you have to redo the entire boss gauntlet for each attempt at the final boss, and the resolution is underwhelming. The plot dumps are cool but you don't need to fight the final boss for those and can just look them up anyway.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If they make a sequel, what sorta things would you want? I wanna see a different selection of base/advanced classes based on the 12 gods. Like a monk base class that has a winnehild divine skill, stuff like that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

If they make a sequel, what sorta things would you want? I wanna see a different selection of base/advanced classes based on the 12 gods. Like a monk base class that has a winnehild divine skill, stuff like that.

In game beastiary. And a music player. I've never played the Bravely's but their random battle sliders seem like a really nice deal. Switching out party members whenever would be nice, as would experience and JP to everyone regardless of who is in the field.

Non-missable party interaction, that doesn't require you have specific people at specific times. Using an Inn should also heal everyone, whether or not they're in your party. And save anywhere functionality. They're generous with save-points, don't get me wrong, but it's to such a degree that it's dumb you just can't save from the menu.

They also need to make things like Guide/Allure and Provoke/Challenge slightly more interesting. You never use them unless you need to. I hardly ever used the former in battle and the latter is really just to get people to move out of a doorway. Purchase/Steal and Inquire/Scrutinize pay off in goods and writing, respectively, at least.

They should also just scrap the good/dark path and just make it 100% at a level requirement otherwise you risk losing reputation on one player, give you maybe more talents and re-work H'aanits monster deal to be more like a blue mage and not just random move go!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Other than the obvious quality-of-life fixes, it'd be kinda neat to do it like 20-30 years in the future and see how the world's evolved since then. Meet a bunch of minor NPCs from the first one, battle the original cast to unlock their jobs, and so on.

Really just more of the same, for me personally Octopath was near-perfect and my main issues are with stuff like missable party chat and the structure of the final boss. New jobs and maybe a new mechanic or two would be nice as well.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 26, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I'd basically like a very similar game and structure with a ton of QoL upgrades: non-missable party chats, no locked party member, XP and JP for bench warmers.

Also, a more actively integrated overarching story with a satisfying conclusion.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I liked this games conclusion and the disjointedness was ok. The game's themes are exploration and discovery and it really sticks close to them, even in the sidequests. The fact that if you don't do the final boss you just get "and that's what happened in my trip. The end," is anti-climatically satisfying. It's down to earth and it relishes it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They also need to make things like Guide/Allure...slightly more interesting.

A good solution to this would be to make Summon a free action so it doesn't take a turn. Maybe lower the number of uses to compensate. Rolling the dice on a good move is nice but it doesn't hold up lategame when you have a fully set up character.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just got this game and started with Therion. Anything I should know without spoiling the story? Any missable stuff or solid tips for a newb?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Just got this game and started with Therion. Anything I should know without spoiling the story? Any missable stuff or solid tips for a newb?

Danger level is a good indicator of whether you should be somewhere or not. If Therion's below that level, be super careful.

It's a good idea to either recruit all 8 or at least four character (so you have all the different Path Actions) before moving on to other areas.

Beyond that, just have fun!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The good news is that Therion is the only one who can open purple chests... and whoever your lead character is has to be in your party until their story is complete.

Aside from that, just know that the very final boss is unlocked by completing everyone’s story and a few different side stories (some which are really off the beaten path if you don’t already know where to go).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
If you don't do the final boss, at least look up the endgame boss fight soundtracks (The One They Call the Witch and Daughter of the Dark God) on YouTube or something. The game's sound design and OST are by far its best parts and some of the best I've heard in years, and they really pulled out all the stops for the climax.

Some (mostly) spoiler free music theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbSgRRiPtHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPPqMnf91VY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Zc3f8cPnU

That last one even misses some further subtleties of the transitions into boss fight themes, like for example how Cyrus' For Truth, which is in 3/4 time, seamlessly transitions into the 4/4 time boss themes. The final boss fights come with their own intro theme too (Moment of Truth), because of course they do.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 29, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Non-missable party interaction, that doesn't require you have specific people at specific times. Using an Inn should also heal everyone, whether or not they're in your party. And save anywhere functionality. They're generous with save-points, don't get me wrong, but it's to such a degree that it's dumb you just can't save from the menu.

Experience points for everyone, including inactive members.

I'm going through all the chapter 2s now and I'd like for the party to be much more involved with each others' stories. I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in the last hundred pages but it's silly enough that loner Therion would recruit a bunch of randos off the street to commit a crime; it's super ridiculous that Tressa can't purchase things Therion has to steal, nor can Therion steal Tressa's purchase actions. Not to mention that I keep seeing things which you'd think other party members would have something to say about, but remain conspicuously silent.

Even if the "help" they give only makes superficial changes, I'd appreciate if they at least made it look like the others were doing something to assist, like I dunno, have Therion or Olberic give advice on busting into bandits' lairs, or have Cyrus translate a medical text for Alfyn, or something.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They also need to make things like Guide/Allure and Provoke/Challenge slightly more interesting. You never use them unless you need to. I hardly ever used the former in battle and the latter is really just to get people to move out of a doorway. Purchase/Steal and Inquire/Scrutinize pay off in goods and writing, respectively, at least.

There should be 8 unique skills instead of 4 skills with two variants, and they should allow for interesting changes to your approach, like maybe a lockpick skill that opens up a shortcut in a dungeon, or a diplomacy/bribery skill that lets you skip some story battles while still getting experience, a la Fallout.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I picked up this game in November and played a little bit (~1-2 hours) every day, only referencing the Internet if I missed a job shrine. Currently working through the chapter fours (beat Tressa, Olberic, and Primrose). I'm going in order of how the job wheel places classes to finish each Chapter Four. I would like to get to the final boss but we'll see what happens. It's so nice to have a game I can pick up and put down with relative ease.

Now that I can comfortably enjoy this thread without too much fear of spoilers, it's really fun to read how all of you set up your teams.

I'm so happy I picked Tressa as my main. She's a Jill of all Trades, finds money in every map, happily helps her new friends murder everyone and everything, and has a money cannon.

It's high time I try defeating the secondary job shrines. I'm probably overthinking how to beat Runelord, but my squad is set up so Tressa is the best taunting ninja in my team.

This is a wonderful game that pulls at my 16-bit JRPG heart strings. The ploit is at times laughably bad but the characters, the setting, the battle system, and the music all make up for it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If you spec Tressa as a Warrior and stack Incite and Sidestep, the early parts of the Runelord are pretty easy.

Just remember to also poison him and keep it topped off. I also recommend bringing Alfyn because Concoct is super broken.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Sounds like I had the right idea. I got Tressa as Warrior for her sweet top knot :3: And the Warrior divine is nice when I just want to see big damage numbers.

I'm getting 99 of every Concoct ingredient right now to complete my set up. Once the thread properly explained the power of Concoct to me I went all :ssj: on some bosses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got this game due to the digital sale. I started the demo as H’annit and figured I would continue as her. I picked up Ophelia, Therion and Cyrus and am about to get Tressa. Then maybe I will understand what the memes are about.

I was looking forward to getting Therion because I am partial to thieves but he is kinda lame and his story sucks. I remember somebody said getting him early is good so you can open purple chests but I haven’t found any outside his story so far. Steal is a decent talent or whatever they call it but it sucks in battle, even bosses don’t seem to have anything good on them so far. I hope I’m not the only one who has save scummed with steal to get good equipment that only has like a 3-10% success rate. I got some good stuff off a literal child in Cyrus’s town. He seems pretty great. His talent is great. Ophelia is great. H’annit’s talent seems totally useless.

I keep finding side quests with very little indication of how to solve them. Maybe I will just have to go back later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I got this game due to the digital sale. I started the demo as H’annit and figured I would continue as her. I picked up Ophelia, Therion and Cyrus and am about to get Tressa. Then maybe I will understand what the memes are about.

I was looking forward to getting Therion because I am partial to thieves but he is kinda lame and his story sucks. I remember somebody said getting him early is good so you can open purple chests but I haven’t found any outside his story so far. Steal is a decent talent or whatever they call it but it sucks in battle, even bosses don’t seem to have anything good on them so far. I hope I’m not the only one who has save scummed with steal to get good equipment that only has like a 3-10% success rate. I got some good stuff off a literal child in Cyrus’s town. He seems pretty great. His talent is great. Ophelia is great. H’annit’s talent seems totally useless.

I keep finding side quests with very little indication of how to solve them. Maybe I will just have to go back later.

Those purple chests are going to be mainstays of every dungeon after the Chapter 1 dungeons and a good part of the side dungeons which is why you were probably recommended to use him.

And no, you are not the only one who save scummed to get good pieces of equipment.

For sidequests, if and how you solve them will likely make use of the various path actions awailable to you.

H'aanit's talent is good at the beginning, but starts to rapidly lose steam over the course of the game. You still want to get some decent monsters to make use of when her talent is actually required (unless you have a lot of elemental stones).