Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Is there any way to tell if my watch is connected to a WiFi network; specifically, a hidden one. I'm not about to change my network to visible. I am worried it's constantly using my cellular data and I can't figure out how to turn that off to test it.

Summary: I am an old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It only connects to wifi if your phone isn't around. And if that's the case, there should be a wifi symbol with the network name in the top left where the cellular icon would be if you were outside away from wifi.

Alternatively, you can turn off cellular and see if you can update the weather or send a text or whatever.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Why are people still hiding SSIDs in 2018?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dissss posted:

Why are people still hiding SSIDs in 2018?

The same kind of people who think MAC filtering is a security feature.

Plus you can never *really* hide SSIDs anyway. An AP will still respond to a probe request, and management frames have the ESSID in plaintext in the header.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It only connects to wifi if your phone isn't around. And if that's the case, there should be a wifi symbol with the network name in the top left where the cellular icon would be if you were outside away from wifi.

Alternatively, you can turn off cellular and see if you can update the weather or send a text or whatever.

I assume you meant is and not isn't.

Where am I supposed to turn off cellular on the watch?

E: I turned off cellular on my phone and texted someone who doesn't use iMessage and it still sent.

E2: I assume you mean top left on the phone, I've had an iPhone since 2007 so I know how to use it :(

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 29, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

I assume you meant is and not isn't.

Where am I supposed to turn off cellular on the watch?

E: I turned off cellular on my phone and texted someone who doesn't use iMessage and it still sent.

E2: I assume you mean top left on the phone, I've had an iPhone since 2007 so I know how to use it :(

Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

The watch will only connect to WiFi if it can’t find your phone around. Otherwise, it just has an open Bluetooth connection between the two devices. There is no need to connect to WiFi in this case since it uses the data (WiFi/cellular) from the phone.

If you’re on the watch face, swipe up from the bottom to bring up the control panel. If you tap the cellular icon, you can turn the cellular (for the watch) off.

If your watch can’t find your phone, it will:
1. Look for a known WiFi network and connect to it. The WiFi icon will appear in the top left corner of the control panel. It will replace the green phone icon that is usually there. Additionally, it will also put the WiFi network name at the top.
2. If no known WiFi network is found, it will look for an LTE signal. The cellular button in the control panel (on the watch) will light up green and the signal strength will be shown in the top left where the green phone icon used to be.
3. If it can’t find the phone, WiFi, or LTE, then it displays a red X and says disconnected I believe.

Does that make it easier to understand?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 29, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I bought an XS last week and since transferring over from my iPhone 8 my Series 2 won't unlock automatically with my phone. This is only a nuisance anytime I take my watch off and on, but it's odd how this option doesn't seem to work now with my new phone. The option in settings on the watch is set to enabled.

Separately, a few people have sent me text messages that the watch received but never on the phone. No record of the message in the conversation. If I reply on the phone their next response comes in as normal (first on watch, visible on the phone).

Strange one also.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just recently changed my wife and I's watches over to our new phones and every time it undoes the 'unlock phone to unlock watch' option for some reason. I had to go in and manually re-enable it after the watch pairs with the new phone. Maybe try toggling it to kick it? Or reboot?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

These challenges suck lol.

why yes Apple Watch I want to get 1k calories a day for the whole month especially considering it’s the holidays.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

These challenges suck lol.

why yes Apple Watch I want to get 1k calories a day for the whole month especially considering it’s the holidays.

Close all three rings on 32 days in December to earn this award.

I mean, even a trip over the international dateline wouldn’t make his possible the way the software handles the dateline and days with more than 24 hours.

Thanks, Tim!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Close all three rings on 32 days in December to earn this award.

I mean, even a trip over the international dateline wouldn’t make his possible the way the software handles the dateline and days with more than 24 hours.

Thanks, Tim!

Is this real? Screenshot?

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

If your watch can’t find your phone, it will:
1. Look for a known WiFi network and connect to it. The WiFi icon will appear in the top left corner of the control panel. It will replace the green phone icon that is usually there.

This wasn't directed to me, but thank you. For some reason, I never noticed that my watch wasn't connecting to my home wifi network. Apparently, it will automatically connect to the wifi network that its paired iPhone is connected to unless that happens to be a 5 ghz network. The watch can only connect to 2.4 ghz networks. Since I only connect my phone to the 5 ghz network at my home, the watch couldn't find connection info for the other network. Once I manually selected the 2.4 ghz network and entered the password on my watch, it was able to connect just fine, and I can now use Siri and other watch stuff when I'm out of Bluetooth range of my phone (like when I'm downstairs doing laundry and leave my phone upstairs).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My phone knows both my 2.4 and 5 networks, so I guess I never ran into the problem. I had no idea it couldn't use 5GHz. That seems... odd.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
What music apps work when my watch is connected to wi-fi but not with my phone?

I’d like to play music while working out but leave my phone in my locker.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

My phone knows both my 2.4 and 5 networks, so I guess I never ran into the problem. I had no idea it couldn't use 5GHz. That seems... odd.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204562#wifi

quote:

For example, your Apple Watch won't connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi or public networks that require logins, subscriptions, or profiles.

It might be that if you have a router that transmits both 5 and 2.4 GHz signals and both are setup with the same SSID and password, the watch will pick up the 2.4 GHz network, but everything I've found says that the Apple Watch doesn't have the hardware to receive 5 GHz signals.

To be honest, the above setup is probably the norm for people who have home routers that support both 5 and 2.4 GHz networks. I assume most devices are smart enough to choose the faster of the two signals, given the option. I setup my router to use a different SSID for the 5 and 2.4 GHz signals so I could choose between the two on devices that support both.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

My watch no longer shows what is playing, nor controls when I use Overcast. Any ideas? Even when I open it it says nothing is playing and then crashes?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Long shot here, but anyone happen to have a 42mm Rose Red sport band they would part with? I’ve been kicking myself for not grabbing one when they were available and they are impossible to find used.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

gregday posted:

Long shot here, but anyone happen to have a 42mm Rose Red sport band they would part with? I’ve been kicking myself for not grabbing one when they were available and they are impossible to find used.

I was in the same situation with a different color and ended up buying a generic one. It sucks but it's better than not having the color. I'm surprised there's no website or subreddit or something for trading them.

edit: Also, everything Apple got updates today except for the Watch. The update supposedly enables the ECG, so the delay probably means they still need to get it approved or cleared or whatever.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 5, 2018

gregday
May 23, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was in the same situation with a different color and ended up buying a generic one. It sucks but it's better than not having the color. I'm surprised there's no website or subreddit or something for trading them.

edit: Also, everything Apple got updates today except for the Watch. The update supposedly enables the ECG, so the delay probably means they still need to get it approved or cleared or whatever.

r/AppleBandMarket is a thing but even there Rose Red is exceptionally rare.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

gregday posted:

r/AppleBandMarket is a thing but even there Rose Red is exceptionally rare.

Checking this out now. Thanks!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

My watch no longer shows what is playing, nor controls when I use Overcast. Any ideas? Even when I open it it says nothing is playing and then crashes?

Did you try rebooting it and or your phone? I think I had that happen and rebooting fixed it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Had my first crash today flipping through the watch faces. It just showed the Apple logo and then refreshed once I got a phone call.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Had my first crash today flipping through the watch faces. It just showed the Apple logo and then refreshed once I got a phone call.

Congrats...?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Violator posted:

Did you try rebooting it and or your phone? I think I had that happen and rebooting fixed it.

Will do. Thanks.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Apparently the ecg feature is going live today?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Best Buy is having a 50% off sale on watch bands.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
ECG is out and pretty neat.
Also FINALLY all complications have been published for Infographic. Gotta try out the new watch faces now that I can do my essentials on them.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

Congrats...?

Since I am still pretty new with using the watch I wasnt really expecting this.

Are there recovery methods that are documented for the watch like there are for the phone??

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Best Buy is having a 50% off sale on watch bands.

Looks like only the old sizes (38 and 42) and the stock is pretty depleted but if you wanted one of those $250 leather bands, you’re not going to find a better deal.

gregday
May 23, 2003

So yeah they probably got a memo that there’s a new watch with new band sizes so better clear out the old inventory… except that for lug fitting the 38mm/42mm are exactly the same as the 40mm/44mm. So it’s a good time to get some discounted bands. Hell the $450 silver link bracelet is even 50% off for $225.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
With the bands is it a case the new 40/44 match the old 38/42 okay but not vice versa? I got my partner a 40mm one for her 38 and the bit where it connects looks perfectly fine.

gregday
May 23, 2003

The bands are exactly the same. The number change is only referring to the current latest watch they sell. It shouldn’t even be numbers, or should say Small or Big. All Small bands still work with Small watches and all Big bands work with all Big watches.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I thought someone said the older bands were kinda off, aesthetically, with the series 4 even though they technically fit

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought it was only the height that changed. Based on vague memories.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Woke up this morning with a fully charged watch 4. Should have paid attention when I saw it say 93% battery as I was getting in the shower but thought nothing of it. At 11:30am, got a notification that I had 10% battery left. Not sure how to even begin to diagnose what happened.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

Woke up this morning with a fully charged watch 4. Should have paid attention when I saw it say 93% battery as I was getting in the shower but thought nothing of it. At 11:30am, got a notification that I had 10% battery left. Not sure how to even begin to diagnose what happened.

I'd say a hanging app or the hear rate sensor was on the whole time. Did you do a hard reset?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

doingitwrong posted:

Happens from time to time......like he said it's most likely a hanging app or process. Reboot and should be good to go.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

rage-saq posted:

ECG is out and pretty neat.
Also FINALLY all complications have been published for Infographic. Gotta try out the new watch faces now that I can do my essentials on them.

Am I missing it or is Messages still not available? Just swapped my S1 for an S4, and I’ve updated to 5.1.2.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

zelah posted:

Am I missing it or is Messages still not available? Just swapped my S1 for an S4, and I’ve updated to 5.1.2.

It is on mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
On infograph/infograph modular?

E: sorry, my phone wasn’t on 12.1.1, maybe that’s why

E2: that was why!

zelah fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 14, 2018