Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

reddit.com/r/vandwelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mycomancy posted:

I would seriously make a campaign to smash the gently caress out of everything and anything making the use of that technology. gently caress advertising and triple gently caress the monsters who demand that we have to interact with their poisonous mental sewage.

Cool Hand Luke except instead of twisting the heads off parking meters he gets drunk and smashes up a Best Buy

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Advertising 👏 injected 👏 into 👏 dreams👏

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Scary! posted:

So lightspeed briefs?

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are they silver lined and anti-microbial?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Scary! posted:

:commissar: then :suicide:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The fact that so much of our hosed up society was parody less than a decade ago is part of what finally broke me and now I work in a bicycle store waiting for things to get so bad they either wrap around to getting better again, or not.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frog Act posted:

reddit.com/r/vandwelling

over 325,000 subscribers goddamn

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Scary! posted:

Are they silver lined and anti-microbial?

And gluten-free.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That’s good to know in case I decide to eat them

Hopefully they’re strawberry flavored

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

I’ve seen this exhibit before but never looked closely at what’s on screen before an after the burger.

lmao

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
gently caress marketing lol

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Weaponized Autism posted:

gently caress marketing lol

remember that feeling of disappointment when you realized this isnt money? just priming you for our terrible products and service

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Someone saw one of those rear end in a top hat Christian families leave a tract instead of a tip and thought "That's genius!"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

remember that feeling of disappointment when you realized this isnt money? just priming you for our terrible products and service

About eight years or so ago I was jobless and living in a household with like five other people not counting the homeless folks who would occasionally stay at our place.

A few days before Christmas we were destitute -- we had nothing to eat but a sack of potatoes and some flour and rice. So I took my Sega Saturn and its games to a pawn shop and got about twenty bucks out of all of it to use to buy food because god dammit I didn't want to be hungry on Christmas.

So I walked to the store and tried to make the most of what I had. Twenty bucks doesn't stretch very far for fove people to eat on, but I was determined to try anyway. But as I was walking through the store, I something caught my eye: a folded one-hundred dollar bill.

I picked it up, torn between keeping it to buy food for my family and taking it to the management to get it back to its rightful owner. Then I remembered our empty fridge and cupboards. I remembered my cats, who had not eaten in days. I remembered it was my goddamned birthday. I decided to keep the money.

So I filled my cart. I made sure to get things I knew would last, things we needed, things we wanted. Sorry about your loss, Person Going Christmas Shopping, but we needed food.

I take my loaded cart to the front of the store and go through self-checkout. And then I pull the still-folded hundred dollar bill out of my pocoet and unfold it to pay for my purchases.

"Disappointed?" Said the message on the inside. "Don't be! Jesus loves you! Come to Main Street Baptist Church!"

It was at that exact moment I knew, knew, with a certainty as cold and as final as the grave that there is no god.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has the elf on a shelf come up yet? Because what started as a thing to get kids jazzed for Santa now come with Barbie style accessories and you can even get football fan clothing for them.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Screaming Idiot posted:

About eight years or so ago I was jobless and living in a household with like five other people not counting the homeless folks who would occasionally stay at our place.

A few days before Christmas we were destitute -- we had nothing to eat but a sack of potatoes and some flour and rice. So I took my Sega Saturn and its games to a pawn shop and got about twenty bucks out of all of it to use to buy food because god dammit I didn't want to be hungry on Christmas.

So I walked to the store and tried to make the most of what I had. Twenty bucks doesn't stretch very far for fove people to eat on, but I was determined to try anyway. But as I was walking through the store, I something caught my eye: a folded one-hundred dollar bill.

I picked it up, torn between keeping it to buy food for my family and taking it to the management to get it back to its rightful owner. Then I remembered our empty fridge and cupboards. I remembered my cats, who had not eaten in days. I remembered it was my goddamned birthday. I decided to keep the money.

So I filled my cart. I made sure to get things I knew would last, things we needed, things we wanted. Sorry about your loss, Person Going Christmas Shopping, but we needed food.

I take my loaded cart to the front of the store and go through self-checkout. And then I pull the still-folded hundred dollar bill out of my pocoet and unfold it to pay for my purchases.

"Disappointed?" Said the message on the inside. "Don't be! Jesus loves you! Come to Main Street Baptist Church!"

It was at that exact moment I knew, knew, with a certainty as cold and as final as the grave that there is no god.

oof

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Coolness Averted posted:

wave your hands and shout "I love mcdonald's!" to turn faucet on.

We'll hack in and make it so you have to say "DEATH TO CAPITALISM" and "FEMINISM IS OBJECTIVELY GOOD FOR SOCIETY" to play any shooter. Change the messages per game. Otherwise they can donate $5 to a trans woman of color.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Len posted:

Has the elf on a shelf come up yet? Because what started as a thing to get kids jazzed for Santa now come with Barbie style accessories and you can even get football fan clothing for them.

I feel like having children today that aren't fully indoctrinated into pure consumerism is an impossible task. Like, poo poo was bad in the 80s. I recognize that I have brands and commercials and jingles embedded in my head from watching too much TV. Today is just impossible unless you keep them sufficiently isolated which ironically would have to border on a criminal level. I have no idea how anyone who is against that morally procreates.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Screaming Idiot posted:

loving hell, that's brutal.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

over 325,000 subscribers goddamn

living in a van is the most that anyone in our generation can possibly cling to for hope of meaningfully permanent housing.

me, I'm looking for a boat

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bushiz posted:

living in a van is the most that anyone in our generation can possibly cling to for hope of meaningfully permanent housing.

me, I'm looking for a boat

A boat in the water or a boat on a trailer in a parking lot?

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Screaming Idiot posted:

loving hell, religion is a disease

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

How about this but with a ford ranger and a bed camper filled with trash

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

$20 can buy like a month's supply of rice or potatoes. My recommendation to feed yourself on a very tight budget is to buy rice, potatoes, canned beans, and maybe some of the cheapest ground beef or sausage, for protein.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

qkkl posted:

$20 can buy like a month's supply of rice or potatoes. My recommendation to feed yourself on a very tight budget is to buy rice, potatoes, canned beans, and maybe some of the cheapest ground beef or sausage, for protein.

Make friends with a hunter and get free meat all the time.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Make friends with a hunter and get free meat all the time.

become a serial killer*

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

qkkl posted:

Oh, I'm doing better now, but back then I was in a very, very bad place. There was no work, and people kept taking advantage of us because my mother didn't have the heart to make people leave, even when they were pill-snorting thieves.

Christ, just thinking about that time makes me seethe with rage and cry with despair all at once. I'd sooner eat a bullet or open a vein than ever go through that again, and I say that with no hyperbole.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Screaming Idiot posted:

i expected a gift of the magi, 'i sold my guitar to buy us Saturn Bomberman and a multitap' twist

this was somehow worse :gonk:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hope you went to the church to yell at the priest

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

qkkl posted:

i know this is a qkkl post but whenever I see people post this unironically on reddit I want to personally starve them to death

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Moridin920 posted:

it's morons like that who you can tell got their job through nepotism or favoritism because "inflation" is like some basic macro 101 poo poo

Cuz you're not paying them more, you wonk CEO, you're progressively paying them less as the number value of the dollars you give them shrinks in purchasing power. IE you're progressively saving on labor cost and thinking you're hot poo poo when the end of year numbers roll around when in reality you're just loving over your workers.

I mean the government can't pass a gasoline tax increase because the American public doesn't understand this concept either.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

AvesPKS posted:

I mean the government can't pass a gasoline tax increase because the American public doesn't understand this concept either.

Gas taxes are bad and hurt the poor. Pass taxes on people that can easily afford to pay them.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Increase gas taxes so people stop driving their stinky steel cages and there's pressure to get decent public transportation and fare systems going.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Gas taxes are bad and hurt the poor. Pass taxes on people that can easily afford to pay them.

But they'll just dodge them anyways and then there's nothing we can do :shrug:

Also, they might take all the jobs they created and move to mars.

Why do you hate job creators, and therefore jobs, and therefore working people just trying to feed their kids? WHY DO YOU HATE KIDS?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Frog Act posted:

i know this is a qkkl post but whenever I see people post this unironically on reddit I want to personally starve them to death

Same. "It's fine, just stay at home with nothing to do, unable to afford the bus fare to go anywhere, and eat raw potatoes and beans every day for a month. Maybe next month you'll be able to buy some spice, and boom not poor anymore!!" Nothing hosed up about going "well actually 20 dollars a month is a lot" if you live in cheapassville, WO.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lambert posted:

Increase gas taxes so people stop driving their stinky steel cages and there's pressure to get decent public transportation and fare systems going.

Or we could tax all these business and rich people that pay less proportionally than people below the loving poverty line and use it to do this, instead of regressive taxes on something that nearly everyone needs to get the money to pay the drat tax in the first place

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Customers pay taxes on businesses, in the end. Next you'll be arguing that business taxes are regressive.

Increase gas taxes, get people out of cars.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lambert posted:

Customers pay taxes on businesses, in the end. Next you'll be arguing that business taxes are regressive.

Increase gas taxes, get people out of cars.

what is this neoliberal bullshit doing in the capitalism.png thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If petrol taxes are so bad, clearly the right idea is to subsidise it like Saudi Arabia.