Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Two weeks ago, it was a dead aunt. Last week it was a dead cousin, which led to me being here for a 16 hour shift against my will.

Today it's car trouble up to and including towing. I am so loving pissed off I can't see straight. I have called my goddamn boss 11 times. I know it's been 11 times because phones keep track of that poo poo. He does not answer. Why is he the loving supervisor if we cannot contact him? Why is this woman still working here when every single one of the three loving weeks she's been here, there has been some crisis or other?

I'm not heartless, but once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy goddamn action. I should have been relieved a loving hour ago. I should've been in bed half an hour ago, because these loving fucks want me here again, tonight, from 11pm to 7am again.

I am not loving staying another loving 16 hour stretch. There will be blood if they attempt to force the issue. You will see my fat rear end on the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
my dad just got diagnosed with prostate cancer and he doesn't want to talk about it so i know literally nothing else like how bad it might be etc

e: just as in literally yesterday the test results came back

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I had plans to go out with some people. The plan fell apart, so did my backup plan and an extra backup plan. So now I am just sitting here feeling sorry for myself while my flatmates are having fun and blasting music. Going to sleep after an 9 hour shift is now also impossible...

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Dec 2, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
A plane crashed into my loving office. Holy poo poo am I glad it was Saturday and no one was there.

Now I need to do about half a million dollars in insurance claims for all the equipment that got damaged in the fire

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Malachite, exactly how jealous are you of Zore right now?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zore posted:

A plane crashed into my loving office. Holy poo poo am I glad it was Saturday and no one was there.

Now I need to do about half a million dollars in insurance claims for all the equipment that got damaged in the fire
that...that's...wow. it's hard to top that one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zore posted:

Goddamn man how did that even happen, how many people got hurt

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Today I was supposed to run a half marathon. It's a very nice half marathon, rolling hills, nice scenery, wine at rest stops (!), and a bottle of wine in the race pack (!!).

loving hell I got a super powerful cold two days ago, and I still have it today. So no race for me. :argh:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FirstAidKite posted:

Goddamn man how did that even happen, how many people got hurt

We're right across the street from a small private airport. It was a Cessna and the pilot/passenger both died but luckily no one else was injured.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zore posted:

We're right across the street from a small private airport. It was a Cessna and the pilot/passenger both died but luckily no one else was injured.
jesus. was this it? I wanted to see what it looked like since, well, I was surprised that your workplace survived at all, but it actually looks in better shape than I thought it would be, even inside. drat, that's a hell of a fireball, I'm glad everyone inside made it out!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

jesus. was this it? I wanted to see what it looked like since, well, I was surprised that your workplace survived at all, but it actually looks in better shape than I thought it would be, even inside. drat, that's a hell of a fireball, I'm glad everyone inside made it out!

Yep. It's a huge mess on the ground.

We were in a unit that wasn't hit directly but we still have the water/smoke and electrical damage to deal with from the fire.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I have an entire hallway of 13 patients--several of them on isolation and now I have some kind of GI bug that's been making my stomach cramp and having to run to the bathroom all day. On top of all that it's my grandma's birthday and I won't get to see her because of work.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Been getting the low pressure warning for a bit, figured it was weather change cause my car's tires gently caress up with that more than others' cause I have weird tires. Well I went to the guy down in my building 2 days ago to pump my tires and holy gently caress the back right was at 14. I figured ok, it was warm and just got super cold ok. So I just now went in my car and got the warning again. 20. It's supposed to be 32. Weather hasn't changed. And like I said these are special tires you can only get at the dealership cause my car is weird, it can't take regular tires.

Now I get to drive 30+ miles to the least shady dealership in my area to get a new tire OH AND I FORGOT I just had to get a new tire! These things are like $100 each.

My old dealership, before they were bought out and became sketchy trying to pressure you into work your car doesn't need, anyways my old dealership gave me discounts cause I had the worst luck with nails in tires. Like the guy would joke with me when I came in for an oil change like, "need a new tire again?" I miss that guy :smith:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Dec 4, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I work with my dad. He's away on business.

Yesterday evening he phoned me. "Hey there's this work that needs to be done, could you see to it tomorrow morning?" Yeah sure.

Woke up today to an e-mail from him. "Here's the work that needed to be done, I did it myself."

THEN WHAT WAS THE loving POINT OF TELLING ME TO DO IT. Why do I even bother working if he ALWAYS does everything by himself, and I'm just an afterthought? I'm an adult, I have a degree, I have years of experience in the field. I'm not a loving baby that needs to be coddled and led by the hand.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Woke up with a raging lung infection, can't stop coughing, can hardly even breathe. It's the third this year, I think. I get them fairly regularly.

Usually I get cold symptoms for a few days before this happens and can prepare myself mentally for this level of suffering. But this time no warning. Just woke up half dead.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Have to vent about my job because i absolutely loathe them sometimes.

I live in Canada. poo poo gets cold real fast, especially in December. Yesterday my heating didn’t work in the house, but it eventually came on, but we figured there could be an issue. So when I was at work yesterday, I let my manager know “hey, just a heads up, my heat didn’t come on this morning and it could be a thing again, if it is I have to be home to stay to get it fixed. Just giving you a heads up.” She’s not happy about it, but in a “oh of course, poo poo happens and that’s a crappy thing” kind of way, not at me. She tells me if that’s the case just call in as soon as I can in the morning to let them know.

Fast forward to today, and surprise heats not working again, it’s freezing. It eventually does come on, but sleeping in a freezing house is starting to give me chills/develop a cold. So we need to get it looked at. My folks call a guy and it’s super early so he has to go into office to even give an estimate when he could make it in. I call work and get morning stock supervisor who I hate. She goes “well, can you still come in for a couple hours?” I have no idea. I don’t even have a timeframe and my work is half an hour away so I can’t just leave and perhaps miss my timeframe because I’m gone and I tell her that. “Well, it’s December and we can’t have people gone. So when you find out timeframe so we can still have you work a bit.”

It infuriates me because I have no idea as I still haven’t gotten a notice of when he’ll be here, and I thought I sorted this poo poo out yesterday. It wouldn’t be such a huge deal if the company didn’t resort to having the least amount of staff they thought was still possible to run a business. Like, last year we had 5 full time staff in the department I work in. It’s now 3, and all the part timers they hire are uni students and never can work mornings so basically they think I should never ever call in. Well, go screw yourselves because I need to get this sorted out, tell the company to let you hire some more drat staff especially during a busy period.

Honestly I wouldn’t care if I got fired at this point. I’ve had a couple days where I’ve been so close to just up and quitting on them. I’ve got enough saved up in the bank that I could be off work for a couple months. I’m definitely quitting next year for sure, I just want some bigger savings right now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just moved into a new place, literally Sunday was my first night there.

Came back from work Tuesday and can't find my new house key. I hadn't put it on my keyring yet because I wanted to make a copy to keep in my car or hidden outside in the woodpile or something. Well, that's and I get for procrastinating that.

No way to get in the house last night... All three doors are deadbolted, and the windows are all new, double pane windows that would be VERY expensive to replace of I had to break them.

Called my landlord, who's just a regular owner of the house who recently moved to Florida, and he had no neighbors or nearby family with a spare. I thought maybe it fell out of my pocket here at work, but since it was already 7 PM and I work over an hour away, in said gently caress it and spent the night at a friend's and am borrowing some of his clothes today.

Well, my key is not here at work... Looked at my desk, in the parking lot near where I parked yesterday, all throughout my car, checked the security desk, no one turned it in to lost and found.

I have one hope, and that's that I can go to the hardware store, get a copy made of the key to my parents house, cause it's the same brand/key blank, and buy a small file and attempt to make a bump key.

If that's a no go, looks like I'm paying for a locksmith.

Edit: Bump key did not work, I'm assuming I'm doing it wrong, all those Youtube videos make it look so easy. I found out that the garage and basement windows can be shimmed open with a pocket knife...the garage one opened just fine, but the door from the garage to the house was locked, so I had to go to the basement. The problem there is that the basement window had a storm window on the outside. I tried as best I could to jimmy it open, but no go...so the storm window had to go. Smashed it good, shimmed the inner window, and got inside. Managed to only cut my hand up a little, and I can easily fix a pane of glass in a storm window.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Dec 6, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I swear my internet provider is throttling availability at night, because every night at 1:30 it stops working and I have to switch to data if I'm not sleeping and just want to read poo poo for a while.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got a new 4k hdtv to use as a monitor, worked great!

A week later, it won't detect the PC and I don't know what the gently caress. Had to leave for work but the pc is still working AFAIK since it made the USB connection noise when I plugged a thing in, but it's not connecting to the tv and I've got work stuff I need to get done asap on it once I get home. Really hoping it'll fix itself somehow in the meantime but I'll probably have to hook up my old 120 pound hdtv again if it doesn't and pray that it's not the hdmi port on my card being busted or something.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of kids are playing loud as gently caress right outside my apartment building. I'm almost ready to fully embrace being an old and yelling at them to go away.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Took my kid to the hospital Sunday cause she couldn’t poop and was in pain, then again Tuesday, then again Wednesday, finally by Wednesday and X-rays her colon and lower intestines are completely compacted with poo poo and it’s too big to pass, she had been screaming in pain all day and night since Sunday

After stoop softeners, laxatives, other medicine, she’s finally turning a corner it was awful, I also work from home trying to do phone meetings as a zombie with a screaming kid isn’t fun

And to top it all off my mother in law came in Sunday and is staying with us

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dave Grool posted:

A bunch of kids are playing loud as gently caress right outside my apartment building. I'm almost ready to fully embrace being an old and yelling at them to go away.

This is me at 11:45pm most nights.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy moly, friend of mine (also my supervisor) was helping me as I was getting bombarded with work, another guy on the belt came to help and my friend asked him to go do something specific. The guy jokingly said "Aw cmon, isn't that what my ancestors bred your ancestors for?"(guy is white, my friend is black) and I immediately threw a padded envelope at him and said "what the gently caress, I don't ever want to hear any of that bullshit out of you again" and now everyone is awkward and I'm going to have to report the guy and gently caress, how is this guy THAT stupid to think it's acceptable to say that(at all, let alone at work)?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
When I turned on my PC this morning it made somewhat more noise than it normally does. Hardware issues are an enormous source of anxiety for me and I got really nervous.

Now realistically it's probably just the cold temperature overnight causing some piece of plastic somewhere to contract or whatever; it settled down after a minute or so and everything looks and sounds fine now. But it has immediately wrecked my day, and probably the next few as well. Even if it doesn't happen again, every time I turn my computer on for the next week I'll be anxiously holding my breath, and during the day I'm going to be obsessively checking temperatures and putting my ear to the case to futilely guarantee that I don't hear some weird noise, and when I inevitably do, every totally normal faint buzzing or whirring will be imagined by my garbage brain to be new or unusual and triple my stress level.

Annoyingly this happened a month ago and I traced it back to a case fan. I replaced it (itself an anxiety-producing act for me even though it's technically simple; I get anxious every time I open the case for whatever reason) and was really happy to have it all sorted and get some peace of mind back. Now this. I did not need this.

I'm starting to think more and more that I should talk to my GP about anxiety medication. It's almost never extreme. It used to be, during the years when my OCD was at its peak, but that specific source of anxiety I have mostly under control nowadays. But there's always a degree of general anxiety in the background somewhere and this is exactly the kind of trigger that makes it worse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should absolutely invest in a backup if you haven't. Two separate, and keep one in a separate location if you can, like a safety deposit box. Better that than losing it all to a major malfunction, things can often be regained but best not to risk it(and it's probably cheaper to just have backups anyways)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Yeah, I do daily backups to an external drive but you're right that having a secondary one would be good. I've had that thought as well. Cause now the anxiety can just comfortably transpose onto the backup drive failing. The dumb thing is there's nothing really important on my computer anyway; these daily backups are massively overkill. It's more the notion of having to deal with the hassle, difficulty and stress of fixing hardware issues (as well as spending money I don't really have) in case something happens that causes my anxiety rather than any potential data loss.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The fun thing with computing is that there isn't a single reliable backup method.

Every one of them either degrades with time or can spontaneously stop working with no way for you to predict it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Still losing weight, down to 85.0kg, but I've gained a kilogram of fat since my last weigh - better start eating better snacks, I think I've got complacent. Least I noticed before it got too bad.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Apparently I'm a narcissist and piece of poo poo. Really made my day. I know this is the internet and I shouldn't take it seriously but it still hurts. IRL tons of coworkers, customers, and friends say that I am super nice and nobody says poo poo about me except my old psycho GM who everyone hated. One customer said I was the best manager there cause I was so friendly and helpful. Anyways I can't even vent about being treated like poo poo at a hospital without people saying I'm bad for doing that.

I was treated better on Reddit of all places.

Anyways that completely ruined my day.

E, like 16 hours later cause of 16 hr shift: I got off work at a store I never worked at like an hour ago and a guy I never met said "it was great working with you, I hope I see you again." And it wasn't in some fake rear end tone, he was being sincere.

So gently caress off assholes saying I'm a narcissistic piece of poo poo.

E2:--Im really sorry for all the cursing, I'm just still mad about this. Stupid internet.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 07:50 on Dec 12, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I wish I could just get normal colds like regular people. Instead it's bronchitis or something every goddamn time. I cough so hard I puke and see stars for hours on end, bringing up mouthfuls of phlegm.

I don't even feel sick, no chills or malaise or head congestion. Just firey burning lungs and a cough so powerful it'll probably give me an aneurysm.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
My marriage is falling apart and I don't have anyone I feel like I can talk to about it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Picnic Princess posted:

I wish I could just get normal colds like regular people. Instead it's bronchitis or something every goddamn time. I cough so hard I puke and see stars for hours on end, bringing up mouthfuls of phlegm.

I don't even feel sick, no chills or malaise or head congestion. Just firey burning lungs and a cough so powerful it'll probably give me an aneurysm.

Were you ever prescribed an inhaler for this? I've had horrific colds loving my lungs and my inhaler was a godsend.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Devoz posted:

My marriage is falling apart and I don't have anyone I feel like I can talk to about it.

E/N subforum

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

Iamyourking posted:

My cat of 14 years went out this morning (Don't give me any trouble about how I should have kept him in, I know I should have but he's too used to it and howls until somebody gives in) and never came back in. I don't know if I'll ever see him again or even find out what happened to him, and its left me in a state of utter misery. To top it all off, my best friend-who hasn't spoken to me for eight months for no clear reason-didn't respond when I told him.

Cat is still missing, friend still won't talk to me, I got a troll call talking about all the horrible things they did to my cat, and I find out tomorrow whether my job will be discontinued.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Thin Privilege posted:

Were you ever prescribed an inhaler for this? I've had horrific colds loving my lungs and my inhaler was a godsend.

No, because no one has ever taken me seriously except the one time it was legit pneumonia. But then I was on an inhaler and meds and I'd never breathed so well in all my life. I should get more angry at doctors.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Picnic Princess posted:

No, because no one has ever taken me seriously except the one time it was legit pneumonia. But then I was on an inhaler and meds and I'd never breathed so well in all my life. I should get more angry at doctors.

Don't be angry because then they won't take you seriously. Do you have a PCP? Or do you have an urgent care by you? The urgent care is honestly the best to go to if you can't see your PCP if you have one. Describe your symptoms in extreme detail.

Some doctors are just poo poo. I don't advertise doctor shopping but if a doctor is not treating your symptoms and the one you're seeing sound horrible please find someone else (obviously don't go around every doctor in the area, that's bad and yeah) . If you honestly can't breathe go to the ER, in my many years of experience they can wipe your costs or set up a payment plan if finances are an issue.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 09:26 on Dec 12, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Thin Privilege posted:

It may be worth picking up one of these if you can, I used one when I was very sick recently and it was useful at breaking up gunk in my lungs and made it easier to cough out. Feels weird, but not bad, you blow into it and your lungs vibrate. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Woke up early to make it to a psych appointment. Got to wait in torturous agony as he slowly looked up my pharmacy's number on Google (I've been here half a dozen times or more, it's not on file anywhere...why??), tried to dial it but messed up, tried to dial it again and got some personal line because it turned out he wrote it down wrong. Third time's the charm? No, because he let Google autocomplete do the work and it gave him a pharmacy in a totally different town, leading to an awkward conversation as the pharmacist patiently explained that yes, he'd have to call the correct pharmacy to set up my prescriptions properly. This is on top of the usual problem that he calls this poo poo in on speaker phone and has a thick accent. Then he blasted me with a long string of insistences that I should go see my PCP (who I hate) and get poked and prodded by a bunch of specialists and also get blood work done, which he specifically put me on the spot about. For said blood work, he told me to talk to the nurse about it....the nurse who was no longer in the building and they don't do that on-site anyway so wtf? Well what he actually meant but never actually said was that he was leaving a note for the nurse to call me tomorrow (doubtful I'll be awake to receive it) to set up whatever the gently caress, for unspecified reasons.

The whole thing was so distressing, on top of being needlessly tedious and confusing, that it torpedoed my mood and despite grabbing several more hours of sleep I still feel equal parts anxious and angry about it.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Iamyourking posted:

Cat is still missing, friend still won't talk to me, I got a troll call talking about all the horrible things they did to my cat, and I find out tomorrow whether my job will be discontinued.

Sorry that people suck.

My 16 year old cat went missing last month. Turns out she got 1/2 mile away and probably got confused about how to get home (it was very windy) so she just picked a new family. I only got her back because I live on a rural road and went to every single house looking for her. If your cat never turns up it could be living with someone else who loves it too, it does happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I woke up with an extreme case of pinkeye, for whatever reason, and I spent the whole morning sitting in my GP's waiting room. I waited more than four hours total, including getting looked at by a nurse who said "welp this looks bad, we'll get the doc to look at you posthaste" ---- THREE HOURS LATER ---- I get my eyes looked at by the doc who said "Welp yes that looks infected, here's a prescription for some antibiotic eye drops".

So I lost an entire morning, and now I have to use eye drops four times a day for five days in a row.