Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The war dec change is politically astute. Most high sec players will be very happy, most null/low sec players won't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Otacon posted:

post fit please

The last BPC I heard of selling went for 40b. The last one built I saw on contract was 65b. It has a corpse bay to store the corpses of the people I've failed to heal. The alt is named Sort Dagon

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Micromancer posted:

The last BPC I heard of selling went for 40b. The last one built I saw on contract was 65b. It has a corpse bay to store the corpses of the people I've failed to heal. The alt is named Sort Dagon

If you can't use the corpses as jumpfuel/triage fuel then :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Micromancer posted:

Isn't the Dagon more of an anti-Fax with huge bonuses to energy Nos?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Maneck posted:

The war dec change is politically astute. Most high sec players will be very happy, most null/low sec players won't care.

also a whole lot of highsec corps will be taking down structures, which will make all the OCD players complaining about structure spam on their overviews happy

still completely flabbergasted that wardecs were an obvious statistical drain on player retention for years and CCP never ran the numbers until now

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Micromancer posted:

Oh, I didn't know there are pirate FAXs now, I just thought you had some bonkers fit on a random FAX that cost that much. That's nuts.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Klyith posted:

also a whole lot of highsec corps will be taking down structures, which will make all the OCD players complaining about structure spam on their overviews happy

still completely flabbergasted that wardecs were an obvious statistical drain on player retention for years and CCP never ran the numbers until now

I'm sorry, I haven't really been following the changes for a long time... What do you mean by this?
People actually do stop playing because of wardecs?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

I'm sorry, I haven't really been following the changes for a long time... What do you mean by this?

In droves. It wrecks retention when your only options are "leave the player-ran corp, an institution which drives nearly all retention in this arcane relic of a video game" or "log off for a week, maybe two, maybe four, until the wardec goes away." This change was needed years ago.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalael posted:

They found that statistically speaking like 90% of corps that are wardec never destroy a single one of the agressors ships. Its not a war system, its a bullying system.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
And to elaborate, a large number of the people whose corps collapsed would just log off and never come back. They didn't flee to the newbie corps, they just quit.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Micromancer posted:

Wow it actually has a corpse bay. Those drop from the Blood Sotiyo? Have they mentioned when the Angel caps are getting added to the game. Those look really cool.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

They found that statistically speaking like 90% of corps that are wardec never destroy a single one of the agressors ships. Its not a war system, its a bullying system.

loving why did it take so long? Maybe if they spent less time telling people to buy their $100 monacles they could have figured this poo poo out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rutibex posted:

That part was obvious to anyone who knew how Marmite / Pirat / whatever other previous wardec groups worked. They dec lots of people and then play station games in jita. The main wardec guys hardly ever ships unless you bait them.

What was surprising was the statistics that people in highsec corps frequently quit the game after their corp was decced. That's always been a thing that was contentious but unproven. CCP has said that PVP is positively associated with account retention, so I think most of assumed that counted for wardecs as well. Meanwhile people would post anecdotes about their corp quitting the game after a wardec, but it was always just anecdotes. (If every person who ever claimed to be quitting the game because of x y or z had actually quit, the game would have negative population.)

SugarAddict posted:

loving why did it take so long? Maybe if they spent less time telling people to buy their $100 monacles they could have figured this poo poo out.

:ccp:

I don't know how you can be in their business and not be constantly running numbers on account retention trends... But then again this is the company that needed two years to figure out that their audience wanted some glitz from a cosmetic purchase, not poo poo-green-and-dark-grey "lore appropriate" ship skins.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SugarAddict posted:

This has been the case and they have had feedback about it since at least when I first tried out EVE Online in 2008 when learning skills were still a thing and premiere highsec newbie corp EVE University set up multiple alt corps specifically to address this issue. See, because EVE University is huge it's one of the corps that is almost always at war by someone or another looking to pad their killboard on the Jita undock. The folks who run it noticed that newbies getting blown the gently caress up by ~eLiTe PvP mErCs~ while trying to buy their first ship upgrade in Jita would tend to flame out and just not keep trying. They'd quit, and be vocal about why. So there were corps that existed entirely to shuffle people into whenever the wardec was active. That in and of itself was a hassle too much for many, even with shared chat channels to try to maintain the sense of community. EVE University folks tried on multiple occasions to voice these issues to CCP and got nothing for it.

Fully a decade later, CCP finally does something about it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Addamere posted:

Thread title

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Addamere posted:

They have no choice if they really want to make it to The 3rd decade

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost
Was the catalyst for finally doing something about it from the CSM, or does anyone think that CCP was already in the process of doing anything regarding wardecs? If I remember correctly, the CSM specifically said that based on the data that CCP showed, it should have been immediately ditched full stop without a ready replacement.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Zalmun posted:

Was the catalyst for finally doing something about it from the CSM, or does anyone think that CCP was already in the process of doing anything regarding wardecs? If I remember correctly, the CSM specifically said that based on the data that CCP showed, it should have been immediately ditched full stop without a ready replacement.

The CSM bitched about it for years.

CCP blew them off until, at the CSM's request they pulled the numbers.

Then they instantly agreed that something must be done, quickly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xae posted:

The CSM bitched about it for years.

CCP blew them off until, at the CSM's request they pulled the numbers.

Then they instantly agreed that something must be done, quickly.

How do they not have a team analyzing every single instance of people quitting in statistical detail. It's an mmo that logs everything, very few companies have so much data about their customers.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Pomp posted:

Thread title

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pomp posted:

Thread title

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rutibex posted:

How do they not have a team analyzing every single instance of people quitting in statistical detail. It's an mmo that logs everything, very few companies have so much data about their customers.

this is a people that eats fermented rotten shark and likes it

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rutibex posted:

It actually makes perfect sense when you allow yourself to assume that after the T20 scandal, the best way for the devs to directly punish their subscribers would be to join empire wardec corps/alliances.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Saul Kain posted:

Wow it actually has a corpse bay. Those drop from the Blood Sotiyo? Have they mentioned when the Angel caps are getting added to the game. Those look really cool.

Yes, the BPCs from those can drop from the Blood Sotiyo, if someone actually finds one, and if they get a group together to take it down and if you outbid the other actually important people that want one who will get the BPC before it even hits the market.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Didn’t someone just lose their titan to a Guristas Sotiyo

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah some Shadow Cartel guy in low sec

sadly it was a guy from MASS, which was a cool corporation when i started the game like 14 years ago down in Stain

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

But how does that happen

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Thanks for posting this, I remember those times and that video but hadn't been able to find it in years.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The drones shouting Qapla as they attack a fleet mate always makes me laugh at that video.

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

When I got to the second movie room, they were showing four movies showcasing amazing things players have done with games. One of them was EVE.

What were the other games?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

gons are trying to evict Hard Knocks I guess?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i think it's mostly initdot that's doing it, with us sending some fleets to help

sort of like the vale keepstar

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I have been thinking of joining you goons. The only thing holding me back is loving Jump Fatigue mechanics tbh.

If I were to move one capital, would clone jumping back to empire reset the jump fatigue, or would I just literally need to resign myself to it being a multi-day process to move multiple capitals with one character?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TRUMP

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

So I have been thinking of joining you goons. The only thing holding me back is loving Jump Fatigue mechanics tbh.

If I were to move one capital, would clone jumping back to empire reset the jump fatigue, or would I just literally need to resign myself to it being a multi-day process to move multiple capitals with one character?

don't do it. eve is bad

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

Don't worry we can help you out with that. Just set up a contract with whatever capitals you want moved to Delve and I will have them moved with separate characters, so you don't get any jump fatigue. There is a small administration fee of 5m per jump, so please include that in the contract.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RTTUNMP

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

no it doesn't reset jump fatigue, but jump fatigue is way less bad than it was. if you have to do it with one character then yeah, it's gonna take a few days

however, don't join goons

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I did six jumps over the course of like three hours so it was incredibly tolerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Make sure you join before moving your stuff or handing it to someone.

Or don't