Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
1st Class after 35 games. I am the muppet.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4661395#sand_river-mariuslecter-object_430

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I've played 30 matches in the su-130pm. Holy heck, I really dislike TD play style.

Time to take a break from this game, for a spell.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

moolchaba posted:

I've played 30 matches in the su-130pm. Holy heck, I really dislike TD play style.

Time to take a break from this game, for a spell.

And all it cost was your soul.

:devil:

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Can someone shoot me an invite to Pansy?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Click the pic for another IS-4 Ace replay. I also get HT-15 for the T 55A and play with a broken gun for half the match because I forgot to repair it. :downsgun:

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
what did you use to do HT-12-3?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

2Jets posted:

what did you use to do HT-12-3?

I think it was the O-Ni.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

The reason lower tiers aren't populated is because of Wargaming's lovely decisions that make being a new player awful, and because being a tier 4 in a tier 6 game is awful, and being a tier 5 in a tier 7 game is awful, and being a tier 6 in a tier 8 game is awful, etc. They'd be fine if they switched to same-tier matchmaking as a primary preference years ago, and maybe didn't put maps in at tier 1 and 2 that make playing a new account feel horrible, maybe put in maps that don't rely on spotting distance at all instead of relying entirely on spotting distance which a new player cannot possibly understand and also cannot contribute to with a fresh crew and no equipment.

My big three things to save WoT:
+1/-1 Matchmaker for all tanks. A 2 tier gap is too huge. A tier 5 with 500 health shouldn't see a Tiger with 1500. Not only that, a Tiger is capable of 2 shotting a Sherman with a high roll. This problem only gets worse as the tier increases.

Limit arty to 1 per side. Getting shot my arty has never been fun, and will never be an engaging mechanic. I'd remove it entirely if I had the choice, but this lets them have something. Arty also lowers the fun of the game on an exponential curve the more there are.

Remove gold ammo being always better, or just remove it. With a +1/-1 system, you don't need it anyway, but maybe turn ammo into a choice instead of pressing 2 when you see more armor then planned. APCR has more pen but less damage, HEAT has more consistent pen across distance, but can't handle spaced armor and so on.
-----

Other thing:
Reduce tank crews to a single object, you earn XP which is used to unlock things on skill tree. Sixth sense is built in now because what the gently caress, why is this still a thing. Also tank crews are always 100%. Additional skills have a penalty for a bit while retraining crew.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

primelaw posted:

Can someone shoot me an invite to Pansy?

marius did it also who thought it was a good idea to make me an officer, somehow pansy still exists though

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
As a somewhat new player I am not gonna lie. If you have some money to blow and you somewhat enjoy the terrible low level experience; then you might have a smooth ride provided you get yourself a premium account. However: Platoon with helpful people and if you are lucky like me and show off how fun this game could be with friends then both options are surprisingly great for new players.

Just expect to head to the garage a lot. My roomates always say "B G"? when we all die to head to the garage. While this may seem painful to new members; it did get me to check out and try some of the lower tier tanks on different nations and try my hand at returning the favor to people newer than me.

Prime example is my Marder II

I Xfer'd a crew and I am training another one.

This drat thing uses gold rounds that are cheap as poo poo and if you have Bino / Camo this to me is a treat for picking off people who rush in lower tier. I have some decent luck with this tank when I just want to kick back and click on people. I learned by dying to it in stupid situations. And now it is my turn to return the favor.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hellsau posted:

marius did it also who thought it was a good idea to make me an officer, somehow pansy still exists though

They're not getting the invite and I'm getting 'Error: unable to invite' now.

e; and so is Adrudh.

Wargaming code strong!

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 8, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

They're not getting the invite and I'm getting 'Error: unable to invite' now.

e; and so is Adrudh.

Wargaming code strong!

I can see a "pending invite" for Primelaw here so lol wargaming, maybe Primelaw needs to accept either in game or on the website or on a different website or something i dunno.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://giant.gfycat.com/QuestionableLavishHumpbackwhale.webm

Last tank standing and everyone wants to get the kill shot.
Got Top Gun medal thanks to those guys.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 9, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

your tank is literally on fire at the end of that clip, did one of them throw a molotov on you

e: oh your tank was actually on fire lol rip your fuel tanks

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Katamari Democracy posted:

As a somewhat new player I am not gonna lie. If you have some money to blow and you somewhat enjoy the terrible low level experience; then you might have a smooth ride provided you get yourself a premium account. However: Platoon with helpful people and if you are lucky like me and show off how fun this game could be with friends then both options are surprisingly great for new players.

Just expect to head to the garage a lot. My roomates always say "B G"? when we all die to head to the garage. While this may seem painful to new members; it did get me to check out and try some of the lower tier tanks on different nations and try my hand at returning the favor to people newer than me.

This drat thing uses gold rounds that are cheap as poo poo and if you have Bino / Camo this to me is a treat for picking off people who rush in lower tier. I have some decent luck with this tank when I just want to kick back and click on people. I learned by dying to it in stupid situations. And now it is my turn to return the favor.

lol did you put a toolbox on that

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Fat Jesus posted:

They give you a tool box when you start now. It's not very useful but its better than having nothing until you get 500,000 credits and can afford binoculars.

Do any of you guys have the Obj 257? I've been playing it a bit and I don't understand why no one is saying how broken this thing is. It's as good as the IS-7 in every category (I don't have a bias-7 but just look at the stats.) It even has 12mm more pen on the gold ammo. I think the only thing holding the 257 back from being a tier 10 is 500 less hit points. I use the stock turret because the cupola is smaller and people either switch to HE or don't even bother to shoot at me, Its also frustrating because I'm trying to do HT-12.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Yo, the 130PM is loving broken as all hell. Figured I could go for the 60%, since all you need is 6 high caliber medals, but I've got stupid money sitting around after a cancelled booze-cruise, and didn't feel like grinding.

Very first game in it on Paris:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If it helps you, binocs are extremely useful on several tanks you have there. You only need buy one set (500k) and you can move them between tanks at no penalty, like a camo net. Which should also go on the Marder for extra Mardering.
They do often go on sale (250k) though if you want to save some cash.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hellsau posted:

whole lotta nazis play world of tanks for obvious reasons and they are all exactly as bad at tanks as they are bad people

and some of them work for WGNA

I've only seen one in chat, really, but that's likely to me playing slow times early morning during weekdays, but he was garbage. Did the heil Hitler bullshit ramblig, camped the arty ridge on the north spawn of Mountain Pass in a Tiger 1, team killed some dude which was the only damage he did, then promptly drove off the ridge and died in the last ditch charge as we lost.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

..poor sum bitch those grinds.. , i played about 10 battles today thinking i could come back since i quit every other game and am bored now but that didnt work out after i played the t-50-2 i was real disappointed and lost any interest i had left but hey this might of been my most successful not play tanks ever i made it about 3-4 months

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yo, the 130PM is loving broken as all hell. Figured I could go for the 60%, since all you need is 6 high caliber medals, but I've got stupid money sitting around after a cancelled booze-cruise, and didn't feel like grinding.

Very first game in it on Paris:

The only downside is its lack of mobility compared to the Skorp. And the huge bloom if you're moving the tracks but well thats pretty much the same on the Skorp too.

Does it get HEAT for its premium round?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Fat Jesus posted:

Just as another poster has said they give a toolbox for new people. It is useless and I usually have my Bino / Camo swapped around on different TDs I play.

Khablam posted:

If it helps you, binocs are extremely useful on several tanks you have there. You only need buy one set (500k) and you can move them between tanks at no penalty, like a camo net. Which should also go on the Marder for extra Mardering.

Yeah I have a set of three each I swap around when I am grinding credits and XP. But amazingly I do not have to worry too much about credits now. I made it to T8 on the winter challenge and I just got sick of grinding the SU-130PM.

This tank is hella fun for me. Great acceleration forwards and backwards so I can get the hell out of dodge? Sign me up!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

The only downside is its lack of mobility compared to the Skorp. And the huge bloom if you're moving the tracks but well thats pretty much the same on the Skorp too.

Does it get HEAT for its premium round?

Yeah, 320 pen, 9 more than the Skorpion. I'm not a fan of HEAT rounds in general, but with this goddamn gun, I can't complain.

Also, it doesn't have a lack of mobility versus the Skorp. It's got the same power to weight ratio, and a 5kmh higher top speed. I'm guessing it may have worse ground resistance, but with the much higher track traverse and the higher top speed, it doesn't feel at all like it's more sluggish than the Skorp.
Add to that the loving ridiculous camo of this thing. 56% stationary and 26% moving camo. And the loving view range. 494m with the BIA crew and my female commander from the SU-101. This dumb thing has a higher view range than my FOUR SKILL BIA CREW in the 13 57.

Sitting in the open, this thing negates 55% of view range while negating almost 50m worth of camo at max spotting range. Add bushes and this thing is basically invisible.

And the gun hits hard. Like, legit punishing. 30 extra damage over the Skorpion G's 128mm doesn't seem like a lot, but I just booped an IS-3 on the head by overmatching his roof and rolled for 619 damage. Max roll on this thing is 650 damage, and the lowest possible one is still worth an average damage hit from a Russian 122mm.

This is just stupid. And by tomorrow at the latest, basically every pubbie will have one. Which is fine, because lovely players still do much worse in glass cannons than in broken shitwagons like the 168 v4.
This game can't possibly endure for more than the next two years.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Just as another poster has said they give a toolbox for new people. It is useless and I usually have my Bino / Camo swapped around on different TDs I play.

Yeah I have a set of three each I swap around when I am grinding credits and XP. But amazingly I do not have to worry too much about credits now. I made it to T8 on the winter challenge and I just got sick of grinding the SU-130PM.

This tank is hella fun for me. Great acceleration forwards and backwards so I can get the hell out of dodge? Sign me up!

Honestly if you wanted a TD premium as a newbie, the SU-130PM seems like it was a good one to get. Just gotta deal damage 3 times to carry more than your weight.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Got this dumb loving TD at 80% off and played one game. Unsurprisngly, it was loaded with SU-130PM players because why wouldn't it be?

Serene Coast, South spawn. Time to camp and watch the pubbies roll around into the open by the water. Three shots, three hits, all at ~400m, netting ~1750 damage because lol high rolls all round. Enemy team disintegrated before I could get anything more because pubbies with 200 battles playing Tier VIII is a great idea.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I love sniping on the SU-130. I just lost a game but not before I took four people with me, almost 2k damage. That is absolutely nuts.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I love sniping on the SU-130. I just lost a game but not before I took four people with me, almost 2k damage. That is absolutely nuts.

High alpha TDs are easy mode, and perfectly appropriate for a new player. Just remember that even though dealing 3 fully damaging shots is a valid contribution, it's important that the damage actually matters, and if you can get that damage out in the first 2 or 3 minutes it can really help swing a game in your team's favor.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Part of my problem (that I'm sucking at this su-130pm) is I'm using the provided crew and I don't have sixth sense. Plus I don't know how to play a TD. I'm a bruiser... I wanna ram into things.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

moolchaba posted:

Part of my problem (that I'm sucking at this su-130pm) is I'm using the provided crew and I don't have sixth sense. Plus I don't know how to play a TD. I'm a bruiser... I wanna ram into things.

Sixth Sense is not an optional crew skill.

also never not assault gun

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

EU folks: There's a code for premium time

WOTGMSEASON10FINALS

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

2Jets posted:

Do any of you guys have the Obj 257? I've been playing it a bit and I don't understand why no one is saying how broken this thing is. It's as good as the IS-7 in every category (I don't have a bias-7 but just look at the stats.) It even has 12mm more pen on the gold ammo. I think the only thing holding the 257 back from being a tier 10 is 500 less hit points. I use the stock turret because the cupola is smaller and people either switch to HE or don't even bother to shoot at me, Its also frustrating because I'm trying to do HT-12.

Keep in mind, this is after they nerfed it from the test version!

Khablam posted:

Literally never pay full price for equipment. It's already ridiculously expensive at half price (especially since the costs don't scale with tier) and often of dubious value (vents.)

Also, where's the loving ladder analogy?!?

SocketWrench posted:

I've only seen one in chat, really, but that's likely to me playing slow times early morning during weekdays, but he was garbage. Did the heil Hitler bullshit ramblig, camped the arty ridge on the north spawn of Mountain Pass in a Tiger 1, team killed some dude which was the only damage he did, then promptly drove off the ridge and died in the last ditch charge as we lost.

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen an overt racist/Nazi in game (on NA) in awhile (not counting guys just rolling around with names like "Rommel" or "Trump.")

Did you get that mod I mentioned that automatically swaps binocs/camo net/toolbox?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, 320 pen, 9 more than the Skorpion. I'm not a fan of HEAT rounds in general, but with this goddamn gun, I can't complain.

Also, it doesn't have a lack of mobility versus the Skorp. It's got the same power to weight ratio, and a 5kmh higher top speed. I'm guessing it may have worse ground resistance, but with the much higher track traverse and the higher top speed, it doesn't feel at all like it's more sluggish than the Skorp.
Add to that the loving ridiculous camo of this thing. 56% stationary and 26% moving camo. And the loving view range. 494m with the BIA crew and my female commander from the SU-101. This dumb thing has a higher view range than my FOUR SKILL BIA CREW in the 13 57.

Sitting in the open, this thing negates 55% of view range while negating almost 50m worth of camo at max spotting range. Add bushes and this thing is basically invisible.

And the gun hits hard. Like, legit punishing. 30 extra damage over the Skorpion G's 128mm doesn't seem like a lot, but I just booped an IS-3 on the head by overmatching his roof and rolled for 619 damage. Max roll on this thing is 650 damage, and the lowest possible one is still worth an average damage hit from a Russian 122mm.

This is just stupid. And by tomorrow at the latest, basically every pubbie will have one. Which is fine, because lovely players still do much worse in glass cannons than in broken shitwagons like the 168 v4.
This game can't possibly endure for more than the next two years.

I guess it the ground resistances are pretty bad but the other stuff makes up for it.

Also I've put at least two shots through the gap in the middle of that tank today and its made me mad. I mean fairplay they actually modelled the hitbox right but still lmao.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Absolutely loving the Pantera 44, and about 50k xp from the Standard B, by far the fastest T8 grind so far. The grind on the T9 tank looks to be somewhat atrocious, so I'm wondering if I should just stick around a bit.

The T32 at T8 feels terrible on the other hand, and I regret having moved on from the T29. Slow gun with no penetration, bad armor, very slow. I don't really see the point. Considering just selling it and moving back to the T29, unless the M103 is great.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It's not, and neither is the T110e5.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

serious gaylord posted:

Also I've put at least two shots through the gap in the middle of that tank today and its made me mad. I mean fairplay they actually modelled the hitbox right but still lmao.

I had a broadside killshot on one in my T-54 the other day and this happened to me, I was completely baffled

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

Did you get that mod I mentioned that automatically swaps binocs/camo net/toolbox?

Not yet. I usually stick with three tanks I know I am going to play the most so I normally do not have to have a quick way. But I would still like to get my hands on it. Can you relink it to me on Discord?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It's in Aslain's modpack.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DanTheFryingPan posted:

The T32 at T8 feels terrible on the other hand, and I regret having moved on from the T29. Slow gun with no penetration, bad armor, very slow. I don't really see the point. Considering just selling it and moving back to the T29, unless the M103 is great.

I'm having quite a bit of fun with the T32 and somehow I'm sitting at 57% WR, despite it being objectively crap at doing the majority of HT things (even when top tier). It's been powercrept into obsolescence at this point regarding firepower and overall protection but if it has one redeeming quality then it's that absurd turret armour and gun depression combo. Whenever possible I'll get into a ridgeline hulldown position and then just sit there baiting enemy tanks into wasting time and ammo firing at my turret face, occasionally returning a lovely shot just to annoy them further.

I mean okay, I don't really get to do anything meaningful in terms of direct damage, but for the most part unforunately the T32 is just one of those lovely grinds.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I had sixteen consecutive battles tonight where the score was 15 to 5 or less one way or another. A mix of tiers, mix of tank types, same results. The gap between the skilled and unskilled in this game is enormous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

saintonan posted:

I had sixteen consecutive battles tonight where the score was 15 to 5 or less one way or another. A mix of tiers, mix of tank types, same results. The gap between the skilled and unskilled in this game is enormous.

3/5/7 will naturally lead to that. Think of player skill as a multiplier - if I'm really, really good at an above average tier 5 like the T67, I can probably be as effective as a average player in an average tier 6, and as effective as a poo poo player in an average tier 7. If your tier 7s are poo poo, and their tier 7s are good, then you need a bunch of good tier 6s or a LOT of very good tier 5s to make up that difference, and if their tier 7s and tier 6s and tier 5s are good then you're toast. I'm picking tier 5-7 because it gets much, much worse as you go up tiers, because there are tier 8s that are actually unkillable by most tier 6s, there are tier 9s that could take on 7 tier 7s at once and emerge unscathed, and there are tier 10s that could 1v15 a bunch of mediocre tier 8s and 9s. This is discounting player skill - a terribad player in a VK 100.01 can hold off 7 tier 6s for quite a while even if the idiot doesn't actually shoot at them, while a great player in a Chrysler K could wipe out 7 tier 6s in 3 minutes. With that kind of swingy effect, you'll naturally get snowball games, because if some great top tier player wipes out a side it allows that player's team to press W and left click enemy tanks better, if they want to, which frequently they don't.