Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NoWake posted:

A rail car's natural state is to roll free, like a car in neutral with its parking brake off. This makes them handy to shunt move around mines, terminals, factories, plants, and sorting yards while they're not part of a train. To have spring-operated brakes that require air pressure to release, you'd need each car to have an engine, compressor, battery and fuel, to make them reasonable to move around on a moment's notice. They also need the ability to sit in the same spot, in every kind of weather, full shade or full sun, for years on a storage track, and then be ready to go with next to no maintenance, so a lot of ancillary braking methods won't be both cost-effective and feasible.

I understand that in a yard, but that was a train set to engage its brakes releasing them on their own after an arbitrary time limit. Why would you design something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I understand that in a yard, but that was a train set to engage its brakes releasing them on their own after an arbitrary time limit. Why would you design something like that?

Ahh, reading the quote again I see it's electric brakes, and those are out of my depth.

quote:

Our initial findings show the train came to a stop after a braking system control cable became disconnected. 

I took that to mean an air line (which is used as the "signal wire" in the air brake systems here) came undone, and I kinda skimmed the rest in my rush to :goonsay:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It also sounds like none of that would have been a disaster if the backups had worked:

quote:

Due to an integration issue with the backup braking system, it failed to stop the train. 

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
iirc those trains use some electric controls to control the air brake system and thats probably what they are talking about.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

"Integration issue" sounds like the martian lander where the units got mixed up in the command interface, two groups of people that didn't work out the big picture correctly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

NoWake posted:

To have spring-operated brakes that require air pressure to release, you'd need each car to have an engine, compressor, battery and fuel, to make them reasonable to move around on a moment's notice. They also need the ability to sit in the same spot, in every kind of weather, full shade or full sun, for years on a storage track, and then be ready to go with next to no maintenance, so a lot of ancillary braking methods won't be both cost-effective and feasible.
Yes, better have a runaway every couple years.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

evil_bunnY posted:

Yes, better have a runaway every couple years.

what kind of runaway trains

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Runaway train never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track

vains
May 26, 2004

i may have an opportunity to run a bulk material vessel loading terminal. which is cool, a very interesting opportunity, except i dont know anything about loading bulk material in ships.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

vains posted:

i may have an opportunity to run a bulk material vessel loading terminal. which is cool, a very interesting opportunity, except i dont know anything about loading bulk material in ships.

Generally you use a crane.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think cranes are an endangered species though? How did this get EPA approval?

vains
May 26, 2004

maybe at a small facility. this place uses belts to move the product down the pier and into the ship. i dont think you could get any sort of throughput with cranes.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bulk material will be a conveyor or vacuum system for dry goods, or a pump for wet goods. A crane would be way too slow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well fine; don't laugh at my dumb joke and use actual logistics. See if I care :colbert:.

:negative:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I liked the crane joke :smith:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Jonny Nox posted:

I liked the crane joke :smith:

A stork would have helped with the delivery

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

vains posted:

I work on the electrical design for bulk material terminals, for shiploaders and conveyors. What would you be loading?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Wife and oldest are at my old high school to watch Bush's train going by here in about 20-30 minutes or so. I live really close to where it's leaving from. I planned on going but my 18 month old has a 103 degree fever. :(

vains
May 26, 2004

blindjoe posted:

I work on the electrical design for bulk material terminals, for shiploaders and conveyors. What would you be loading?

coal.

i turned it down but i kind of regret it already. it's an interesting problem. the hold yard has a certain capacity, the dumpers have a certain capacity and uptime, the empty yard has a certain capacity, the ship loaders have a certain capacity, the ground stacking has a certain capacity. you have to ensure that the hold yard always has capacity to receive a train because the network doesn't like it when you hold out traffic. but, you can't dump endlessly because you'll end up with the wrong mix and can't load ships in a timely fashion(you'd end up calling in ship a, sending it away, calling in ship b, sending it away, to free up capacity for the grade of coal you need to finish ship a and ship b or something). you have to slot maintenance on the dumpers/conveyors into this whole mix.

to solve it you'd end up having to deal with service design, network ops, the local yard(mechanical and transportation) and some upstream yards plus the steamship lines and your own employees.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
yes.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I drove just over 400 miles and took exactly one photo of the funeral train yesterday. There was a 70 mile line of traffic and spectators along the route. It was a madhouse. Worth it, though.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Does the government own that presidential livery locomotive like Air Force One, or does UP own it, or did they paint one up special just for this?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aunt Beth posted:

Does the government own that presidential livery locomotive like Air Force One, or does UP own it, or did they paint one up special just for this?

If I remember right, there was some contention over it, and don't hold me to this, I think the final agreement was "we won't use it anymore, except for his funeral train".

I could be wrong

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

iirc, 4141 was parked at the library and will get parked again at the library once the funeral train does it's rounds.

So, it won't be used again, but it's not like UP is going to take the thing back and repaint it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minto Took posted:

iirc, 4141 was parked at the library and will get parked again at the library once the funeral train does it's rounds.

So, it won't be used again, but it's not like UP is going to take the thing back and repaint it.

Yeah, then this was the final agreement, because the Air Force One paint scheme is I think a trademark of the US Government, and if you don't defend trademarks, you lose the right to use them.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Legally, UP owns the locomotive. They got permission to paint it up in the Loewy scheme for the commemoration of the presidential library in College Station, TX, but then rarely used it after that. The last decade or so it's been at some shop in Arkansas to 1) keep it out of the reach of vandals and 2) have it on stand by for this event they've been planning for years. Apparently, every time Bush Sr. got sick, they'd rush it to Houston on a hot train and have it waiting.

The rumor now is that it will be gutted and put on permanent display outside of the library. Gutting it would make sense because that's probably the lowest mileage SD70ACe in the US, so those parts will be in great shape.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tex Avery posted:

Legally, UP owns the locomotive. They got permission to paint it up in the Loewy scheme for the commemoration of the presidential library in College Station, TX, but then rarely used it after that. The last decade or so it's been at some shop in Arkansas to 1) keep it out of the reach of vandals and 2) have it on stand by for this event they've been planning for years. Apparently, every time Bush Sr. got sick, they'd rush it to Houston on a hot train and have it waiting.

The rumor now is that it will be gutted and put on permanent display outside of the library. Gutting it would make sense because that's probably the lowest mileage SD70ACe in the US, so those parts will be in great shape.

Is there a particular connection between UP and College Station or GHWB that inspired them to do this?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bush asked if he could drive that locomotive, he was given a quick lesson and did take it out for a spin.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Tex Avery posted:

It won't be used for hauling any other president that dies?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JuffoWup posted:

Nah, it was numbered 4141 in honor of HW specifically.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JuffoWup posted:

I believe Reagan and Bush were the last ones to use trains for anything significant while
in office, which is part of why the train is a thing in the first place.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJqtxrI-klk

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is there a particular connection between UP and College Station or GHWB that inspired them to do this?

H. W. and Barbara lived somewhere in that area, and Barbara is already buried at College Station.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

MrYenko posted:

I believe Reagan and Bush were the last ones to use trains for anything significant while
in office, which is part of why the train is a thing in the first place.

Clinton did a rail tour as part of the reelection campaign. I know because we walked from our gradeschool to the nearby stop to hear a meaningless stump speech.

Edit: or maybe it was for the Gore campaign, but it was definitely Bill who did the talking

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speleothing posted:

Clinton did a rail tour as part of the reelection campaign. I know because we walked from our gradeschool to the nearby stop to hear a meaningless stump speech.

Edit: or maybe it was for the Gore campaign, but it was definitely Bill who did the talking

I take back my comment, apparently Clinton and Obama have used trains as well. Obama took one to his inauguration I guess? I try not to pay attention to the news, which causes me to miss details like that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wish UP went all out and made it a turbine.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Speleothing posted:

Must have been in '96, because Bill got sent off to the cornfield during the 2000 campaign after all that unpleasantness with Monica Lewinsky.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
When Kay Bailey Hutchison dies, she'd better get an express passenger train named after her to haul her corpse around. I don't agree with a lot of her political views (she's a Republican from my state), but she's really into keeping Amtrak going, so she's not ENTIRELY evil.

I shook her hand once whwn she came to the local train station to give a speech about how Amtrak needed to keep existing*.

*when I was working for the newspaper and was assigned to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Bush asked if he could drive that locomotive, he was given a quick lesson and did take it out for a spin.

I choose to believe this is true.