Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, the outcomes for different levels of success are different for each action and it's a lot of lists, which is the exact kind of thing it's nice for the GM to remind you of, especially when you're playing the game for an audience that might not be memorizing the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ariong posted:

I don’t understand what these two things have to do with each other.

Griffin is fine with explaining basic mechanics several times per episode, but is annoyed that he can't just forcibly move the characters around himself instead of asking the players what they'd like to do. It's tedious to listen to when you compare it to GMs that really just let their players decide what they do.

Part of it isn't Griffin's fault. It's the players' fault in Amnesty for not simply knowing the rules.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still don't understand what they have to do with each other.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

That's ok.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I REALLY think it’s a stretch to interpret Griffin’s comment as a desire to remove player autonomy. Frankly, I don’t even think that Amnesty has any more or less room for improvisation than Balance. Rather, I think it is simply more obvious that Griffin has an overarching story planned. In Balance it was less visible, but no less present.

In any case, I don’t see how Griffin’s frequent rules reminders weigh in on this in any way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't understand why it's such a problem. I guess Kepler could be more open world, but I'm not sure what benefit it would provide aside from some old fashioned conversations that go nowhere.

I guess I understand the spirit of the complaint, but the context of it I didn't see a reason to break off. And it's not like Griffin hasn't asked them in earlier episodes if they were going to split up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

complaining about that one instance, where you set up a scenario you know would definitely involve the party running outside to see what happened, as being proof griffin loves railroading feels like it's really missing the forest for the trees lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also the fact that all four of these people are a very close family, and if there was any issue with the evil Griffin holding the players hostage with his railroading, the players wouldn't hesitate to bring it up off mic.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Making Griffin out as if he hates player autonomy is especially weird because it should be really obvious at this point his family wants to be active collaborators with his narrative. They don't expect and haven't claimed to want him to just provide a sandbox for them to gently caress around in.

It's good in personal sessions for the GM to not clamp down on decision making unless that's what everyone wants. But this is a show, all of them want to create a compelling story, and they trust Griffin to provide the framework for them to act it out in.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
if you didn’t railroad the three of them i’m pretty sure that one of these hunts would last a year and a half

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Making Griffin out as if he hates player autonomy is especially weird because it should be really obvious at this point his family wants to be active collaborators with his narrative. They don't expect and haven't claimed to want him to just provide a sandbox for them to gently caress around in.

It's good in personal sessions for the GM to not clamp down on decision making unless that's what everyone wants. But this is a show, all of them want to create a compelling story, and they trust Griffin to provide the framework for them to act it out in.

yeah, I was pretty unfamiliar with PBTA when this started and definitely didn't mind the repeated explanations.

also I feel like griffin's got a lot better at poo poo like combat - it used to really drag on and feel like someone trying to do DND combat in the wrong setting, but lately it's been moderately interesting and feels faster. and the tree fight was like actually good

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

and the tree fight was like actually good

This I agree with, IF you cut out all the flashbacks mid-tree-fight. Otherwise, yes, decidedly better than earlier fights when they were getting their heads around the new system.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
While the mid-fight flashbacks were super annoying Griffin is trying to tie the narrative together without the massive dumps that he did during Balance. There's got to be a more elegant way to handle it than killing the momentum of a fight scene though. The family is almost certainly in on linking the characters backgrounds together. It's collaborative story telling with a game mixed in.

Serf
May 5, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

That's the thing. In plenty of RPG experiences players don't follow the obvious bait, but also aren't just being trolling dickheads avoiding the story/conflict. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure I've heard Griffin explain the failure/mixed success/total success mechanic at least 3-4 times per episode.

i'm not sure how these two things are related.

and also, we're talking about a moment where a friend of all the PCs arrives to tell them that there's something they should come and look at. one of the main core assumptions in a pbta game (and rpgs in general) is that you will "follow the fiction" and fictionally there is no reason for the PCs to go see what's up. its still polite to ask, because you don't want to rob the PCs of their agency, but at the same time remains awkward

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Look it's obvious Griffin's a bad dm but most people seem to like the story he's written and that seems to be what he's aiming for. It's a radio play.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CainsDescendant posted:

Look it's obvious Griffin's a bad dm

bad dms don't do what the players want or enjoy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Aren't Justin, Travis and Clint the ones writing the flashbacks?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Serf posted:

one of the main core assumptions in a pbta game (and rpgs in general) is that you will "follow the fiction" and fictionally there is no reason for the PCs to go see what's up. its still polite to ask, because you don't want to rob the PCs of their agency, but at the same time remains awkward

Uh wait why? If a friend of mine showed up and told me to come look at a thing I'd probably go do it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think they're missing a "not" in there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
literally the only metric of GM quality that matters is everyone is having fun

Serf
May 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they're missing a "not" in there.

true, my bad

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
I haven't listened to Amnesty much after the first few episodes, but from my experience with the Powered by the Apocalypse games I would not blame anyone for adapting to the system with some difficulty. And I'm pretty sure Griffin is still technically new to DMing, even if he completed a campaign and has good production value for music and poo poo. That's aided by it being a podcast, especially in terms of the campaign being completed.

And that being said a lot of new DMs tend to question how they're doing things, whether they should try other approaches, if they should ask certain questions or avoid certain questions or phrasing, etc. There's a chance that Griffin may want to try something for the duration of the campaign in terms of style or approach. Although I do get people's reactions to frequent flashbacks mid-attack. If all flashbacks have happened that way, I'd probably start dreading every attack roll leading right into another flashback. It's like playing a newer pokemon game and seeing a guy in the middle of the road and knowing he's going to talk at you for ten minutes about plot bullshit when all you wanna do is catch loving monsters.

Also, outside of Balance's Lost Century stuff, which is pretty different from the rest of the campaign, how much of that stuff was actually pretty linear? There's that arc with the tunnel worm and resetting that same period of time over and over that I think was deliberately meant to be a puzzle the group did in their own way, but arcs like the train mystery and that... murder circus thing (whatever it was called) did seem pretty linear in terms of what the group could do at any given time. But at the very least you would always get the improv from character interaction, which should remain true for Amnesty. I suppose that could depend on how much anyone has planned out for what they intend certain characters to be or do.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tough Disney questions today.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Nothing but the Tik Tok chorus on repeat

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Jesus christ that Midnight Romeo bit had me howling.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I greatly enjoyed that Griffin still has that amiibo description in his back pocket

Also, lmao http://www.lilyisaverygoodgirl.com

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 11, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Justin's twitter I thought these were kind of cute-

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1072232609252605953

Griffin made one too that isn't shown- replace a D20 roll with a coin flip. Heads is a critical hit, tails is a critical miss.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 12, 2018

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Change your d20 roll to an 18, courtesy of Magnus. :lol::lol:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That was a fuckin' amazing power move.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I adore how long this "Justin drinks loud" bit goes on

KoB
May 1, 2009

Pleads posted:

I adore how long this "Justin drinks loud" bit goes on

"... well it aint travis" had me in stitches.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zeeman posted:

I greatly enjoyed that Griffin still has that amiibo description in his back pocket

I got a good laugh out of him matching the deadpan fast-talk just for that one line. Fairly deep cut as McElroy content goes, unless you were religiously watching Polygon videos like 3 years ago.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Bits like this are why I can't bring myself to skip the money zone.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Griffin getting mad about Pokemon is my favorite thing in a lot of MBMBAM episodes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He thinks Pikachu could be easily taken out by a ground type. My Pikachu knows Iron Tail, fucko.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He thinks Pikachu could be easily taken out by a ground type. My Pikachu knows Iron Tail, fucko.

In the TCG though?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ariong posted:

I would be (pleasantly) shocked if Dracula actually shows up again.

I knew that it would be added to continuity! :D

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I now don't mind the TAZ live show screaming as all my ire is directed at the guy in this one who keeps yelling "yeeeaah"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think they must have had a talk with the audience before the show about not being so loud when an existing character shows up, because they were much better about it for this one. There was some hooting and hollering, but not so much that the show had to be put on hold for 5-10 seconds each time.

Well, except Angus. He always brings the house down. As well he should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the day Ango doesn't get a pop is the day TAZ has died