Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

snoremac posted:

Any tips on how to sway electors towards my favoured successor?

Just make them like you. That gives them a fairly large bonus because 'I trust the judgement of a ruler I like'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Ugh, too late. I'm no longer Emperor. I'm King of Ireland and Saxony, but all my built up demesne lands were in Scotland. I'm at least betrothed to the Empress and can hopefully get my heir on the throne.

This seven elector thing has royally screwed my plans.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Apparently my guy decided that after 30 years as Emperor and establishing his bloodline, it was time to gently caress off, abdicate all his titles, and go move into the tribal wilderness of the unconquered Ukraine to live out his life with his new 16 year old wife. What could have possibly triggered this? He's still alive and kicking with all his claims and the entire family treasury, but he's completely moved himself out of the empire...

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

So that child of destiny event is really no joke. After my daughter murder my high martial heir in combat at age 7, I figured she deserved to be the new heir. Now at 21, she's queen with 50 martial (and 20+ to every other stat) and unlimited invasion CBs. I uh... think I won the map painting portion of the game.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Cow Bell posted:

Apparently my guy decided that after 30 years as Emperor and establishing his bloodline, it was time to gently caress off, abdicate all his titles, and go move into the tribal wilderness of the unconquered Ukraine to live out his life with his new 16 year old wife. What could have possibly triggered this? He's still alive and kicking with all his claims and the entire family treasury, but he's completely moved himself out of the empire...

What? This is the character you were playing? I've never heard of that.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Palemdromes posted:

What? This is the character you were playing? I've never heard of that.

Was the character I was playing! New guy lost the emperor title too and it's a big mess!

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Disillusionist posted:

That event where a commander duels for you on the battlefield is annoying. I was trying to get my Imbecile ruler killed on the battlefield and all my Bros kept saying "look buddy, you're too stupid to do this. Let me help."

Also, what's the best retinue composition these days? In my Karen game I am spamming mostly horse archers, but I don't have many Altaic generals so I don't know if that's ideal. They seem to be doing just fine but I was considering switching to Shock to take advantage of numbers.

I'd suggest taking a look at this: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-retinue-composition-efficiency-metric.1105064/

It's absurd overkill and not quite updated for Holy Fury but take a look at the rankings tab of the spreadsheet. It lists good compositions for culture retinues and generics and gives a rating of how effective each composition is.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

snoremac posted:

Any tips on how to sway electors towards my favoured successor?

Bribe them, buy a favour and then ask to vote for your successor.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I vaguely recalled that multiplayer games use the DLC of the host so I doublechecked, and found that apparently there was an issue with an update back in July? Has anyone tried it since or with Holy Fury?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

benzine posted:

Bribe them, buy a favour and then ask to vote for your successor.
Thanks.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Cow Bell posted:

Was the character I was playing! New guy lost the emperor title too and it's a big mess!

Congratulations on finding some super rare event I guess? I don't suppose you have a screenshot?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else gotten the bug where the legends bar is stuck at 0%? It's been stuck there for about 60 years now, and I have no idea how to force cancel it or change it at all. Is there a solution to this? I don't mind using console to just reset it, but I tried some events from the files and it didn't work.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Congratulations on finding some super rare event I guess? I don't suppose you have a screenshot?

Not even really sure what images to put up, so here's my former leader (who apparently has no children anymore), and my current leader. Not even sure how I'd try and go about trying to get my gold and artifacts back from dear old dad now.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

A question about enatic clans: Is the council restriction permanent or can it be changed by tolerance tech? Same question for inheritance: Can you go to absolutely cognatic?

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Cow Bell posted:

Not even really sure what images to put up, so here's my former leader (who apparently has no children anymore), and my current leader. Not even sure how I'd try and go about trying to get my gold and artifacts back from dear old dad now.

I also can't nominate my own son as heir, but I can try and give the kingdom back to dad.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Did you accidentally arrange a matrilineal marriage to his new bride? I’m not sure how that works if you do that with a player character.

Feels more like a bug though.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Well this just seems mean

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

JosefStalinator posted:

Has anyone else gotten the bug where the legends bar is stuck at 0%? It's been stuck there for about 60 years now, and I have no idea how to force cancel it or change it at all. Is there a solution to this? I don't mind using console to just reset it, but I tried some events from the files and it didn't work.
Yes, that's guaranteed to happen right now the second time you call a legendary gathering in a society.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This seems to be a fix, there's a small mod and a link to it on steam as well:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/9xx0lu/legendary_gathering_cooldown/

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Note that that will not fix it for a game in progress, where it's already stuck at 0% after being called.

Edit: at least, the fix talked about in the thread there wouldn't. Might be an additional event in the mod to take care of that situation, though.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 8, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cow Bell posted:

Was your father excommunicated? If you lose an excommunication war, your char abdicates and your heir takes over.

As for the gold and artifacts, your current char should inherit those once dad dies.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a way to drive Muslim rulers decadence up? I just watched the Abbassids(sp) explode from one and unfortunately Egypt remained intact while the rest of their kingdom was ripped apart. The Egyptian's decadence seems high at 85% but I want to help tip the scales.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Torrannor posted:

As for the gold and artifacts, your current char should inherit those once dad dies.

Not if he's not in your court. Say goodbye to your poo poo!

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Spaseman posted:

Is there a way to drive Muslim rulers decadence up? I just watched the Abbassids(sp) explode from one and unfortunately Egypt remained intact while the rest of their kingdom was ripped apart. The Egyptian's decadence seems high at 85% but I want to help tip the scales.

The new antagonize button helps! If you can, kill their leaders until a child inherits. They have a harder time keeping vassals happy, and they usually don't have enough piety to keep their decadent relatives in line.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I finally got to the point where I can Delve into the Classics, but I didn't realize that there were more options than just reviving Hellenism. What does studying Roman strategy/law/speeches do?

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Just want to share some things about my most successful ruler so far, Falki Hvitserk.

A gregarious bloodstained lunatic, the grandson of Ragnar:

United the British Isles;
Reformed the faith;
Founded no less than three bloodlines;
Killed more people than god;
Lost one eye, one leg, and two balls to his idiot phsycian;
Somehow still moving despite being little more than a vibrating mass of cancerous scar tissue;
Still the greatest millitary mind in the known world!

Next step, invade France!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Uhhh I feel like my Knights Hospitaller are getting too aggressive... (on the other hand, if they keep it up I'll be able to form Outremar real soon).

My current guy has had 'Malaise' for like fifteen years, it just won't go away. What the hell? He hasn't had any other illness since that showed up, though..

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I suppose it's technically not a bug but:

It seems strange that my chancellor hates me for having scandalously appointed her to the post of chancellor.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Hey every time I close the goddamn game all of my message settings get reset, so I get about 20 pointless messages a turn due to my giant goddamn empire.

Is anyone else having this problem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drakhoran posted:

I suppose it's technically not a bug but:

It seems strange that my chancellor hates me for having scandalously appointed her to the post of chancellor.

Internalized misogyny, man.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
If I want to do a run where I start an outremer empire from a crusade, what would be a good place to start?

I'd prefer to not be a King-level ruler, but rather a powerful count or duke that could be granted Jerusalem and then go it alone from there. Is that even possible, or would I need to be a King and get Jerusalem from the crusade and just give away my lands outside of the Holy Land?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crusades work differently now. You can be any level of ruler and appoint a beneficiary to be the recipient of the target of the crusade. If the crusade is successful, you'll get an option to swap out to your beneficiary, and even if you aren't the main winner of the crusade, your beneficiary will probably be made a duke or something, and you get the choice to be vassal in the new crusader kingdom.

You can still do it the old way and declare that you'll take all the titles for yourself, but then you definitely need to be the main winner of the crusade, which is hard to swing as a low-level ruler.

Alternatively, you could even start a game when the kingdom of Jerusalem or other crusader states already exist and go from there.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

big dyke energy posted:

Hey every time I close the goddamn game all of my message settings get reset, so I get about 20 pointless messages a turn due to my giant goddamn empire.

Is anyone else having this problem.

Get the 3.0.1.1 beta hotfix. You have to opt into it in Steam though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

I finally got to the point where I can Delve into the Classics, but I didn't realize that there were more options than just reviving Hellenism. What does studying Roman strategy/law/speeches do?

They give your character a permanent +2 bonus to martial, stewardship, or diplomacy, respectively.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

JosefStalinator posted:

If I want to do a run where I start an outremer empire from a crusade, what would be a good place to start?

I'd prefer to not be a King-level ruler, but rather a powerful count or duke that could be granted Jerusalem and then go it alone from there. Is that even possible, or would I need to be a King and get Jerusalem from the crusade and just give away my lands outside of the Holy Land?

Check out the Duke of Aquitaine in any of the 1066-1100 starts, you've got essentially half of France under you and the kingship is a revolving door of incompetent children you could singlehandedly knock over with a faction at whim

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

When a liege is forced to make a decision by a faction do they compare current strength or potential strength? What else do they consider?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

The traits from the other options are nice, but if you get that event you pretty much always want to just go for Hellenism.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I liked my trajectory after dying and being demoted from HREmperor to vassal king:
-Married the newly crowned empress and had a son
-Die and become son, nominated heir to HRE
-Coward empress mother hands her title to another king when his faction threatens, ruining my nomination
-Successfully revolt to restore mother to throne
-Die young from cancer, become my wife
-Successfully revolt against mother-in-law and execute her! I am empress!!!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

JosefStalinator posted:

I like Sicily, either the kingdom or the duchy, because the the duchy itself is really good with a lot of holdings and everything is coastal so you'll have a lot of boats. Also you're really close to most crusade targets to begin with. I started as the Duke of Salerno at the old gods start in the game where I did exactly that. You start with one province but I allied with Italy right off the bat and they basically won all my early wars for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Crusades work differently now. You can be any level of ruler and appoint a beneficiary to be the recipient of the target of the crusade. If the crusade is successful, you'll get an option to swap out to your beneficiary, and even if you aren't the main winner of the crusade, your beneficiary will probably be made a duke or something, and you get the choice to be vassal in the new crusader kingdom.

You can still do it the old way and declare that you'll take all the titles for yourself, but then you definitely need to be the main winner of the crusade, which is hard to swing as a low-level ruler.

I'm not sure how you do that now. I declared a GHW for Saxony as the Scandi Empire, won with 99% of warscore, then watched it become an independent kingdom. I was never given an option to set beneficiary.