Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

Now I'm intrigued sir/mam. What manga is that(assuming it's about the above post).

The link's in the picture that I was talking about! https://mangadex.org/title/25862/pashiri-na-boku-to-koisuru-banchou-san

Note, the main couple aren't yuri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Expect My Mom posted:

Soma best boy

Posting Ayami art is cheating

Smash Simon is uggo

Not gonna disagree about the cheating thing, but I do like Western Simon thought. I have Ayami Kojima's netbook that I can post for this interested if there's a sharing board for that sort of thing. It's so...80's and 90's bishounen. Like...drat. So many pretty boys in leather and poo poo.

chumbler posted:

Julius is still the best Belmont.

Agreed. Julius was badass and had in my opinion the best outfit.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ibblebibble posted:

The link's in the picture that I was talking about! https://mangadex.org/title/25862/pashiri-na-boku-to-koisuru-banchou-san

Ah nice. Thanks. I have a bunch of image tabs of stuff from here that I need to find the manga they correspond to because they look great.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wow spats

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Surprise delinquent yuri. The manga that keeps on giving.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/1071475319402565632

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hungry posted:

Surprise delinquent yuri. The manga that keeps on giving.

In fairness this just confirms subtext that has been there more or less since those two side characters were introduced, and was all but text in the chapter focused on the two of them. Though it's good that it looks like there will be at least a temporary shift away from the main couple to let them do things together without dragging out their plot until they just directly say they like each other. More on the side characters is good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Lauro87317831/status/1071491070113005570

anyone who complains about this is a buster

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

*in a dis voice* hmm good

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 8, 2018

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

chumbler posted:

In fairness this just confirms subtext that has been there more or less since those two side characters were introduced, and was all but text in the chapter focused on the two of them. Though it's good that it looks like there will be at least a temporary shift away from the main couple to let them do things together without dragging out their plot until they just directly say they like each other. More on the side characters is good.

I will literally take any delinquent yuri I can get, there's nowhere near enough (any?) of it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wish i was a deliquent girl

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Aw he was so pleased

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hungry posted:

I will literally take any delinquent yuri I can get, there's nowhere near enough (any?) of it.

~someday~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Expect My Mom posted:

Soma best boy

Posting Ayami art is cheating

Smash Simon is uggo

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Hungry posted:

:emptyquote:

Now I know where the chrome space beetle in Thumper came from.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

*in a dis voice* hmm good

what's this

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
nevveermind i read this a while ago

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Hungry posted:

Have you seen Accept my fist of love?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
So I watched Saikano because it was mentioned twice as a joke with a smiley that implied it was dark/had a twist. Some spoilers ahead for the show I guess, but it's over ten years old so I'm not going to bother spoiling tagging it. Also sorry just skip this post it's bad and long. TW: Death talk?

It was a dark show. I watched the dub for 13 episodes and it the voice acting was less than stellar. Why did I do that to myself? I felt like it took away from the show immensely. To expand to more problems with the show in my opinion. There was very nearly nothing likable about the main couple's interactions imo. They really sold the awkward relationship stuff early on, and I understand it was an important plot point, but Shugi has the emotional depth of a rock. There's nothing enjoyable or worthwhile in exploring his hesitation more than a couple of times yet there are two full arcs basically where it's him hesitating, looking away from Chise, and hand wringing. The character designs are awful.

Some things the show does well imo. Shugi actually does seem to hit emotional beats with his tomboy childhood friend. On a unrelated note the show does really good exploration of death and dying, civilian wartime life, terminal illness, and climate change (or at the very least looking at systems of decision making and how long term destruction comes about despite individual people not having stakes or knowledge of self destructive choices). Shugi's interaction with his family are some of the more better parts because it actually feels like I'm watching someone who has some direction or opinions about his life, like taking care of his family, rather than just floundering around.

Some thoughts about the ending and meaning of the show. I'm not sure what the message of the show is, other than a condemnation of war. That may just be it, and that's fine. I'm just trying to figure out how love and relationships fit into this message. I don't know if it wants me to think that Chise and Shuji's romance was meaningless, or that it's naive to believe that love overcomes all. Judging by the relationships between men and women in the show, I'd have to say that Saikano ultimately believes and is trying to show two things generally. War is the antithesis of happiness, just or not and for whatever personal reasons someone might have going to war. The second thing I believe is about finality, human nature, and society more generally in regards to climate change or war.

The first one is relatively easy to prove because it's a wartime drama centered around starcrossed and ill fated lovers. It also features several other couples who have their lives destroyed by a brutal war that they have little to no control over. The second one is a little more subtle but not too much so. What made me go down this hole is thinking about that guy who kept wiping off sweat and saying 'It's not nobody's fault, it couldn't be helped'. We watch many characters request mercy killings, distribute mercy killings, reject death and die, ask to be killed and left to live, asked not to be killed and die, anticipate death. Given the context of near total war and that individual soldiers and civilians aren't given the choice to live or die, death itself is random and constant. Given the context that the world dying for a reason unknown (as far as I can tell given the anime and 2 OVA episodes, I haven't read the manga), there isn't much to be said about the decision making process that ended up putting the world on a trajectory that included human extinction. That's why I think it's reasonable to assume the show is alluding to climate change, given the somewhat natural nature of earthquakes and the inevitability of them in the series. This is somewhat supported by statements like 'It's nobody's fault, it's not your fault.', because in a real sense a great many individuals don't have the choice to enter wartime or pollute there are many cruel systems outside of individual people's control that push them towards destruction.

Basically, I guess it can be summed up in, individual people can't control their fate. So it's a show about coming to terms with fate, and death, because the greater implications of society's choices aren't really touched upon in this framing. Lt. Tetsu is analogous to Shugi, in that they're both people who accept Chise as a human for who she is. Both find themselves in situations where death is inevitable. Tetsu asks Chise to end his suffering, because he's in immense pain. Shugi's death is less imminent, in that he probably will die due to the ecological disaster caused by the final earthquake and very nearly every other human making up the society that supports him dying too. In the end Chise doesn't kill either of them, and instead comforts them until they pass away.

Does this make a statement about finality, inevitability, and suffering? I'm not sure. I don't think it condemns Chise for not ending their suffering, or Shuji for not wanting to die, or Tetsu for wanting the pain to end. The sorrow of the situation is how hopeless the character's feel, and how little agency they're able to exert on the world to protect, actually protect, the people they love. In the end I think it's a cautionary tale about the ramifications war.

One thing that makes me think the show is cynical concerning Shuji and Chise, is Shuji's father making a statement that the next generation was just starting. That the war would pass and things would return to normal as Shuji's mom reflects on all of Shuji's dead friends in his photos. It's probably a statement made out of hope, and also reflects Shuji's hopeful nature and wanting to live. But it just rings so empty with the destruction of their hometown, the deaths of everyone Shuji's ever known, and the death of the world more generally. Which stresses the condemnation of war and selfish decision making of a minority that extinguishes the possibility for happiness.

TLDR: It really lacked a lot of style, but it was an was an interesting cyberpunk/wardrama. It's themes and the way it explored them was good! I think the character drama was bad and repetitive sometimes. I wish it could have talked about society more generally, but that might be greedy because it does a good job looking at death and inevitability, and condemning war that makes death a constant. I think that it could have been like 6-8 episodes and an absolutely great show. Sorry everyone, I really thought I'd have less to say. I'm happy my thoughts are out of my head though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lets go in a completely opposite direction and share office lady yuri

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is there a lesbian equivalent of Bara?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Office lady, secret delinquent yuri

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

a kitten posted:

Office lady, secret delinquent yuri

Delinquent, secret office lady yuri

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the tagline for saikano is "the last love song on this little planet" but tbh the shuji/chise relationship I've always read as less out of love and more out of comfort. it starts out with them playing at the idea of being a couple and then as the war ramps up they more appreciate not being alone. but then halfway through they genuinely become attached to each other and that's when they break it off out of fear. if its a love story its not a romantic love story, and that's kind of why there's no real depth to it, its just two people trying to comfort themselves at the end of the world (which one of the two happens to be in a very small part responsible for).

the manga plays out a little more coherently, and also plays their relationship straighter, you should check it out, its not very long

in conclusion, the saikano op is SICK, and the ed is pretty good too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc8gRFdiMzE

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

do NOT however watch the saikano live action movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGje0HhHQkg

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Thanks! I think I will check out the manga!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Cappy posted:

Delinquent, secret office lady yuri

:hmmyes:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Toalpaz posted:

Thanks! I think I will check out the manga!
iirc the ending is significantly different from the anime and actually somewhat less grim.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sindai posted:

iirc the ending is significantly different from the anime and actually somewhat less grim.

it's different, but no less grim

Feel free to also check out the sidestory about the cat

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Yes! It is good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Allarion posted:

Today's moview@tch is

Starting in half an hour at 4:00 pm PST/7:00 EST/11:00 UTC

Also for future reference for any newcomers for any google drive videos, cytube requires a userscript, using either tampermonkey or greasemonkey depending on your browser, so if you wanna set that up beforehand, just click here https://cytu.be/r/alsokotori

Starting now!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Is there a lesbian equivalent of Bara?

bara men have big tiddy

ergo minamto no raikou is the female equivalent

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That OVA was wild. :mmmhmm:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

bara men have big tiddy

ergo minamto no raikou is the female equivalent

I don't care if Non-Lum Mod Wark Say punishes my for saying this, because it needs to be said:

Gigantic Tiddies are a crime

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

I don't care if Non-Lum Mod Wark Say punishes my for saying this, because it needs to be said:

Gigantic Tiddies are a crime

WRONG!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
too much power the thread can't take much more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail