Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Zoe posted:

Is there such a thing as a dine packed in mustard that tastes remotely like mustard? Or at least one where you don't feel like the better option is just to rinse off the watery yellow muck and eat it plain?

pahuyuth posted:

Having a tin of Coleman's mustard powder on hand is mandatory for fixing cheaper dines. And also for everything else because it is delicious.

^ dumping some mustard powder in with some Dijon always tastes good anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know some English people like to have cheese with their fish, usually slices of fairly firm yellow cheese (the exact ones escape me at the moment, as I have merely witnessed this rather than partaken of it).

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
The other weekend I was like gently caress it and made the fishermans eggs for lunch (again). It was bomb, you just take what you have, throw it in that oiled up tiny cast iron skillet and next thing you know its late lunch on a Saturday and you didnt have enough for breakfast so its super hittin' the spot. Dump a bunch of Sambal Oolek on it with a wheat toast heel and all of a sudden you have the strength to get back out there and do whatever you need to do.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
What's the diff between sambal and sriracha?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sambal's thicker, almost a paste usually. Also has some shrimp paste and ginger as ingredients

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Huh. I'd say it's thinner, but it's spicier and has red pepper flakes in it.

Like if I spoon it out onto something it will drip down but sriracha keeps it's shape. It's more of a paste.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I greatly prefer sambal oolek over Sriracha for my dine/avocado/spicy stuff/on cracker thing that I eat literally every day. the sambal olek gives better heat

i haven't made fisherman's eggs in forever so I think that will be my thing for tomorrow. gently caress yeah.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It varies depending on which sambal you're referring to though. I think there's hundreds of regional varieties.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Sambal is more like a thick salsa whereas Sriracha has the consistency of ketchup. Sriracha also has a sweeter heat.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Never heard of 'em before but I picked up some Galil brand Moroccan 'dines and tomorrow I'm gonna put 'em in my belly for lunch. Anyone tried them?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I picked up a tin of Tapatio KO for only 1.50, sadly it was the last can on the shelf of that variety.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Fillet o Fish needs a half slice at least of the mcdonald's brick cheese. also sardines in salad with parm is yes good.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
finally opened the crown prince smoked brislings I accidentally bought. they were pretty good, despite the prop 65 warning (?!) on the can.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Where did the kippered herring go, my store no longer carries them.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

it's really nice to be able to eat all these delicious fishes before they go extinct. I've been really enjoying canned eel, I even like it more than sardines at this point bc it's got more spine

naem
May 29, 2011

Roki B posted:

Where did the kippered herring go, my store no longer carries them.

mine sold out, I found two lonely tins way at the back of the shelf others missed and am hoarding them until they restock

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Here's a pantry staple from my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=096m4qu1HN8

Just fish deep fried until it's solid semi-transparent brown and the bones are edible, with salted black beans and oil.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I've seen that at Fubonn, I think I'm gonna pick it up next time I make a canned fish run. I'm almost out of sweet delicious eel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Note of caution: It has very little resemblance to fish, and is more a salt delivery vehicle.

It's pretty nice on hot fluffy rice or as part of other cooking tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sfiootTHw

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 13, 2018

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Synthbuttrange posted:

Note of caution: It has very little resemblance to fish, and is more a salt delivery vehicle.

It's pretty nice on hot fluffy rice or as part of other cooking tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sfiootTHw

It actually looks pretty tasty, but I can say with conviction I'm very unlikely to ever eat fish from China that, according to the comments was then pulled off the shelves in China for contamination....

I might start experimenting with black beans and 'dines though.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 14, 2018

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
btw amazon has the clear lid mw polar smoked sardines right now. and Adro Riga Smoked Sprats. Stock up on 12 packs smellas and ladines

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Mackerel in black bean sauce comes in small sardine-size cans and looks pretty similar, but no bones. I like it but oddly I don't get hungry for it very often.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I ate one of these big snails before but I forgot I ate it until I saw a video today

The video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YR6s-x2KZk

If you wanted to make it but didn't have a giant snail you could use octopus tentacle or maybe squid to get something similar, although the snail had a sweet flavor to it that octopus and squid don't

She got other videos, lotta seafood stuff, if you want to make weird food in a way which you aren't accustomed to

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

raton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YR6s-x2KZk

If you wanted to make it but didn't have a giant snail you could use octopus tentacle or maybe squid to get something similar, although the snail had a sweet flavor to it that octopus and squid don't

She got other videos, lotta seafood stuff, if you want to make weird food in a way which you aren't accustomed to

If I ever find myself in an Alien movie I now know wat do. Thanks, this lady is my favorite person on youtube right now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Zoe posted:

If I ever find myself in an Alien movie I now know wat do. Thanks, this lady is my favorite person on youtube right now.

Their blood is too valuable to be eating horseshoe crabs. Science literally taps them like blood bags to get their sweet sweet blue blood.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I saw a YouTube where they were cooked and there was hardly any meat on them. I think it just ended up being cooked in to a soup.

I just want to eat a mantis shrimp, dudes.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
You only get to eat mantis shrimp if you catch one with your bare hands.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

I saw a YouTube where they were cooked and there was hardly any meat on them. I think it just ended up being cooked in to a soup.

I just want to eat a mantis shrimp, dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QP9mcBULY

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Picked up some frozen sardines at the asian grocery store (and silverfish). Never had them non-canned before, but presumably theyll be better, though maybe annoying to prepare.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I grilled some fresh sardines this summer and scaling and gutting them was a pain in the rear end but whatever

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I'm thinking I might just scale and remove heads, thwn cook them for a long while to soften the bones, split open and remove them like Id do with canned, and stick them in a slow cooking japanese style curry.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Okay

The ones I had were about seven or eight inches long and I was feeding them to other people and didn't want to risk bad gut tastes so I gutted them, don't know if it was necessary

I left the heads on

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

fishheads are tastier than fishguts

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Quote this post so I remember to watch videos above that will help me fight xenomorphs.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
What up dine bros, long time no chat.

Went to World Market the other day and they had the Season Savories sardine salad kits, and being a cool dad sardine eating dude, I picked up one.
I got the Sweet & Spicy one and you know what? It was alright!
The sardines were the flaky boneless kind, and you could taste a little bit of the smokiness under the sauce, which was more sweet than spicy. The crackers were kind of bland though, they were brown rice, but triscuits or Ritz would have been better.

I ate them with a lukewarm Budweiser and an old Doug Stanhope special in a hotel room. 8/10, would enjoy again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SeaCrown Sardines. 65 cents per tin. Purchased at Coles.

For the love of god do not put these in your mouth.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The crown in SeaCrown is slang for butthole

naem
May 29, 2011

just had some kippers randomly at 8:00 pm A-plus would thing again

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Gutted and scaled the sardines, removed the head/tail/fin, and boiled them for a bit, then plucked them out and was able to pull the spines right out. Easy as removing them from canned sardines. The curry is still cooking but is smelling good.

E: it is delicious. The remaining bones arent even noticeable and it is excellent.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LingcodKilla posted:

Their blood is too valuable to be eating horseshoe crabs. Science literally taps them like blood bags to get their sweet sweet blue blood.

That giant snail looked super good, so I watched the horseshoe crab one thinking I might be pleasantly surprised.

loving NOPE. I keep an open mind with food but I got my white boy xenophobic limits, and the inside of that crab is where I draw the line.