Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

syscall girl posted:

I assume you mean fairly recent and popular? Otherwise you need to diversify your interests before filing this kind of complaint.

That is what I meant. I have to admit I am not very good with music. I didn't even "get" music until after college. Why would I want noise when I could have silence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I think I read somewhere it's scientifically impossible not to sing along with Bohemian Rhapsody, even if you're not really paying attention and its on the background you will sing SOME part of that song, even it's just the "GALILEO" bit or sounding out the guitar bits.

I know this is true for me at least and every time I've heard the song with people, everyone always joins in at some point.

I'd think the only people guaranteed not to sing along are the people who've never heard it in the first place.

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Dec 4, 2018

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Look at it this way, the Night at the Opera album was the most expensive album recorded until Michael Jackson came along with to record Thriller. Part of the expense came from Mercury triple tracking all of his vocals. It’s only noticeable because of the occasional phasing of the stereo tracking, but his studio performance was absolutely incredible. His performance on The Show Must Go On, days before his death, is arguably one the best vocal performances in rock history. You can nitpick that they weren’t all that original or that they weren’t that different from contemporary bands, but ask just about any musician who the best singer in rock history was and there’s a strong likelyhood that they’ll bring up Mercury. Oh, and every member of the band wrote at least one number one song, so they were definitely not short of talent in the rest of the band.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Every member of Queen wrote MULTIPLE #1 hit singles. No other band holds that distinction.

Like, they aren't overrated, my dudes.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

rydiafan posted:

Every member of Queen wrote MULTIPLE #1 hit singles. No other band holds that distinction.

Like, they aren't overrated, my dudes.

The Beatles would like to have a word with you.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Since when was writing #1 hits an indicator of musical quality and why does it matter, in terms of their quality, what percentage of the band participated? They're very talented musicians and I like a lot of their songs. Dave Matthews Band are also a bunch of very talented musician with a lot of massive hits and they loving suck. So

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Imagined posted:

Since when was writing #1 hits an indicator of musical quality and why does it matter, in terms of their quality, what percentage of the band participated? They're very talented musicians and I like a lot of their songs. Kenny G is also a very talented musician with a lot of massive hits and he loving sucks. So

This reminds me of Misterbibs arguing about the Star Wars Prequels being good because they made a lot of money in some stream's chat, which brought about the famous gif.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I mean it's an impressive statistic and I'm sure it made them very rich and very proud but it says nothing either way about their music.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Money is the only thing that matters.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

iajanus posted:

About some unrelated topic, I assume? Because at least one Beatle (Ringo) hasn't written multiple #1 hit songs.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And Brian Wilson wrote all the Beach Boys hits and Elvis wrote none of his so maybe it's more complicated.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dave Matthews Band has seven albums debut at billboard #1 in a row. No other band has ever achieved that and no other band has ever dumped poo poo off a bridge either.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Beachcomber posted:

I can't think of a single modern song that has subject matter anywhere near as unusual as Bohemian Rhapsody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHiGbolFFGw

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

rydiafan posted:

About some unrelated topic, I assume? Because at least one Beatle (Ringo) hasn't written multiple #1 hit songs.

To be fair, your right. Of his number ones he wrote "Photograph" but "You're Sixteen" was a cover.

Still, he did have one, and released multiple songs that went to number one. Not a bad achievement for a drummer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mu Zeta posted:

Dave Matthews Band has seven albums debut at billboard #1 in a row. No other band has ever achieved that and no other band has ever dumped poo poo off a bridge either.

I bet plenty of bands have dumped poo poo off a bridge, just not from their tour bus.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I understand not liking Queen; tastes are subjective, but it's strange to see their music written off as shallow. Outside of the Beach Boys or The Beatles, it's hard to find any other pop-rock artists from the same period with similarly complex arrangements. I'm a huge prog fan, and I've always seen them as a proto-prog band. We Will Rock You is about as simple as a song can get, so it probably throws off the popular perception of their songwriting.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

iajanus posted:

lmao if you think ringo wrote 1 hit, let alone multiple

e:fb i should finish reading the thread before posting

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Lester Shy posted:

I understand not liking Queen; tastes are subjective, but it's strange to see their music written off as shallow. Outside of the Beach Boys or The Beatles, it's hard to find any other pop-rock artists from the same period with similarly complex arrangements. I'm a huge prog fan, and I've always seen them as a proto-prog band. We Will Rock You is about as simple as a song can get, so it probably throws off the popular perception of their songwriting.

Yeah, I'm not a Queen fan and don't particularly like BR, but I would never belittle their quality and technical prowess - they're undeniably extremely talented. I just don't find the music to my liking.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

I think there needs to be more songs that aren't just about the here and now.
Hey now. Ed Sheeran writes plenty of songs that are about the back at home and three years ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alternative pants posted:

You can nitpick that they weren’t all that original or that they weren’t that different from contemporary bands, but ask just about any musician who the best singer in rock history was and there’s a strong likelyhood that they’ll bring up Mercury.

Rob Halford. :colbert:

Mercury was indisputably a great singer, but he was a better showman and that's where his "the best" rep comes from.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BiggerBoat posted:

Also there's an Elton John biopic being made too but the trailer didn't look too good.

We don't need another Elton John biopic, this Christmas ad already nailed it :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNbSgMEZ_Tw

syscall girl posted:

Honestly it's really more about Highlander
Also Flash Gordon!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jedit posted:

Rob Halford. :colbert:

Mercury was indisputably a great singer, but he was a better showman and that's where his "the best" rep comes from.

Halford definitely owns, but I’d argue his dynamic range is a hair weaker than Mercury’s. To be fair, they sang different styles, so it’s not a perfect comparison. But yeah, Halford is in that conversation along with Geddy Lee and, oddly enough, Dave Draiman.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Aphrodite posted:

Money is the only thing that matters.

Don't give me that do goody good bullshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Music quality and talent are entirely subjective so money is the only fair measure we have.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Aphrodite posted:

Music quality and talent are entirely subjective so money is the only fair measure we have.

Uh, I would say time is a better filter for quality. Great art lasts, and the yesteryears are filled profitable but forgotten #1 hits.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

I don’t think you can be proto-prog when your debut comes out after King Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant, ELP, Genesis, etc. are already several albums deep into their careers, including almost all of their best known albums. Queen was surely influenced by them but not the other way around.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
When I grew up I had three albums, that's it, and I listened to them over and over
Queen's Greatest Hits, Neil Young Trans, and a random album of Silly Songs.
So my favorite songs were Love of My Life, Flash Gordon, Killer Queen, Somebody to Love, and Sample and Hold.
Look, I knew the words to Ahab the Arab and Purple People Eater but they weren't my favorites.

Then I got a cassette player and discovered Weird Al so all bets were off.
The first non-Weird Al cassette I bought was Ministry and discovered the amazing Al Jourgenson which led to Rev Co, Skinny Puppy, Pigface, Primus, KMFDM, Lords of Acid, all that kind of thing. I do not have sophisticated tastes.

Freddy Mercury's vocals were and still are amazing and outside the range of most of us. His life was cut short due to a barely understood disease. His death by AIDS complications was the wake-up call a teen-aged me needed to take the crisis seriously and to start questioning my conservative, Republican upbringing. Reagan was treating AIDS like a gay plague that attacked those who deserved it, but Freddy Mercury? Freddy Mercury was nothing but inspirational. The Live Aid performance, his last music video where they had to take breaks because he was so weak he couldn't do it all in one sitting, but you couldn't tell. He was and is a legend. It doesn't matter who's "better" or even who is more profitable or more popular, what matters is he has left an enduring legacy and that, even now, he is still an inspiration.
He is a bisexual icon, which god knows we need more of.
He is an icon for non-standard definitions of beauty (because those teeth, drat).
He is an icon for never giving up and living life to the fullest right up until the moment you die.

My dad is a die hard Republican and is the one who gave me that Queen album. Their music crossed the divide back then. It brought people together. It wasn't high art or magic; it was just music that resonated, not because of a deeper message, but because it was good, pop music.
You cannot deny that Queen is a cultural phenomenon, for better or worse.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay you u can move on from Freddie mercury now

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

EmmyOk posted:

Okay you u can move on from Freddie mercury now

I had written a long snarky post about derails but decided not to post it. So yes, I agree.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

In The Breakfast Club, Andrew flips off principal Vernon quickly with his hand half-hidden after principal Vernon says “I expected a little more from a varsity letterman.”

It was kind of funny when I was a kid and watched the VHS the second time through. I didn’t catch it the first time even though it’s right there front and center in that shot.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

syscall girl posted:

Honestly it's really more about Highlander

goddamn right

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean, a lot of people like Queen, tho.

Im a Pink Floyd fan and consider them the greatest band that ever existed, even though I was born just a year before The Division Bell, so what do I know.

as long as you don't call the Division Bell their greatest album you'll be okay. I'd rather listen to the studio disc of Ummagumma again (pyf subtle musical moments: the "See Emily Play" bit at the very end of Shine On)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'm the hugest Pink Floyd fan around but man, Ummagumma disc 2 is a pretty tough listen.

There aren't many bands that span the entire quality spectrum from the ridiculous to the sublime but Floyd certainly manage it.

Anyway, movie stuff. I really like it in movies when they give you a little bit of diagetic non-music sound. Things like, main character gets caught in an explosion, high-pitched ringing on the audio track for a little bit. I know it's not super subtle but it's a nice little nod to immersion that I enjoy.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Memento posted:

Anyway, movie stuff. I really like it in movies when they give you a little bit of diagetic non-music sound. Things like, main character gets caught in an explosion, high-pitched ringing on the audio track for a little bit. I know it's not super subtle but it's a nice little nod to immersion that I enjoy.

mawp mawp mawp

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Gejimayu posted:

mawp mawp mawp

That's like super bad for you

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
TV series, but Season 3 of The Thick of It has a great moment in the first episode where you can see Malcolm begin sabotaging Nicola. A subplot of the episode has to do with a Leamington by-election, so Malcolm throws Nicola down there to endorse the party candidate, named Bentley. Now, Malcolm manipulates Ollie and Terrie into moving Nicola on camera so Nicola, standing in front of Bentley's election sign, reads "I AM BENT". Once the damage is done, he feigns disappointment in the DoSac staffers, but it just shows off how nasty Malcolm can get to maintain power over unruly ministers. By throwing Nicola under the bus, Malcolm achieves two goals. One: he distracts the media from Bentley's floundering campaign, hopefully shoring up another constituency, and two: he uses the media scandal as leverage over Nicola to force her to choose between a conflict of interest scandal with her husband (who works for a company given a contract by Nicola's department) or sending her daughter to a comprehensive school to avoid looking like an elitist.

Every time I rewatch this series I pick up more on these subtle moments and how Malcolm uses them to his advantage. He's a master of spin.

Also, Terrie is a brilliant lowkey saboteur who feigns idiocy but knows exactly when to butt in and make someone look like a fool.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In Mission Impossible: Fallout the registration on the helicopter Henry Cavill escapes in is G-DEUP

Not too subtle, doesn't mean much, giddyup

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
McQuarrie said that was unintentional but it is pretty funny

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't remember if it was in this thread or just generally, but this forum has been going on about the Fast and the Furious movies so long that I started watching them.

So, 2 Fast 2 Furious - undercover cops (sort of), the black guy runs his mouth and fast talks, the white guy falls for ladies he shouldn't and lives on a boat, the bad guy is a rich South American drug lord, there's an undercover cop lady in danger of being caught between them, a federal agency is interfering with the police work, there are obviously car races, and it all takes place right in Miami; I'm just wondering if it was conceived as a Miami Vice tribute or if it just ended up this way, cause we're only a different style of cars and soundtrack away.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Honestly? They probably recycled a rejected script for the Michael Mann Miami Vice movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I was reminded that Philip Michael Thomas (who played Tubbs in the TV show) wore a necklace that said EGOT, because he planned to win an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony award. I went to confirm, and his IMDB bio page is quite spectacular:

quote:

Coined the acronym EGOT that is ascribed to the select few people who've individually won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony award. Ironically (through 2017), the actor has never been nominated for any of these awards himself.

quote:

"Some people never live a day in a lifetime. I live a lifetime in a day."

quote:

"I'm like Gandhi in a sense. I don't mind walking with the people. I will take off my suits and ties and get down there and work."

quote:

"There are only a few who will be the Fords, the Edisons, the Carnegies, and I think I'm in that number."

quote:

"I'm locked in as one of the showbiz superstars. Like Dr. Kildare is forever. Telly Savalas is forever."

quote:

Was awarded an undisclosed amount by an arbitrator for his work in psychic phone commercials, ending an eight-year dispute in which Thomas claimed Traffix, Inc. owed him $12 million. [June 2002]