Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Snowy posted:

Carol Kaye was a badass and this is a great video of her trying to show Gene Simmons how to play bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaHrqopeqIY

It was interesting to see someone as notoriously arrogant as Gene quietly submitting to Carol's tutelage.

This trailer for a documentary gives you a quick summary of her importance to music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMznvEgOPhU

EDIT:

But more on topic, here's a badass little animal...

https://twitter.com/CenterForBioDiv/status/1070451281033093122

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Force, including the downward force of gravity that we call "weight," is regularly measured in N in technical contexts.

This is not a technical context, it's someone crushing a lego car to see how much weight it could hold. Whilst kg are not a technical measurement of weight for this purpose they are.

Telling someone your a force of 9800N is exerted on your mum doesn't change the fact she weighs a tonne.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Dec 6, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Aramoro posted:

This is not a technical context, it's someone crushing a lego car to see how much weight it could hold. Whilst kg are not a technical measurement of weight for this purpose they are.

Telling someone your mum exerts a force of 9800N on the ground doesn't change the fact she weighs a tonne.

9810 :smug:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Can't really be that accurate without knowing about local variations in g.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
What they should do is come up with a new pain scale

Does it hurt like stepping on 1 lego, or stepping on 3 legos?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ElGroucho posted:

What they should do is come up with a new pain scale

Does it hurt like stepping on 1 lego, or stepping on 3 legos?

Because that's about as nonsensical as having your pain scale be between 10 and 11.

Really it should start with something less painful than the surface of the sun.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
welcome to the joke

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dick Trauma posted:

But more on topic, here's a badass little animal...

https://twitter.com/CenterForBioDiv/status/1070451281033093122

Part of me feels there's room for improvement on this cage design

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cool nazi flag there guy

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ekuNNN posted:

Cool nazi flag there guy

its from gundam you loving dunce. i dont even watch anime and i know that

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well then gundam has a stupid nazi flag :colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
anime is blood

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Sabretooth cat killed by a spear

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Sabretooth cat killed by a spear

Or an ancient alien's flechette gun. What do these scientists have to hide?!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Or an ancient alien's flechette gun. What do these scientists have to hide?!

:hmmyes:

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Aramoro posted:

Because newtons are a measure of force not weight? It's a simulated weight.

You son of a bitch. I just tested my kids on our unit on Force, and despite emphasizing it again and again I still get a few kids unclear that weight is a force.

It's mass times the gravitational field, fucker! (or "acceleration due to gravity" if you prefer) A force directed toward the center of the Earth!

Mass is a perfectly acceptable unit in this case because it is obviously occurring on Earth where weight and mass are proportional.

Okay, that's out of my system.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Part of me feels there's room for improvement on this cage design

Yeah, it might be alot known, but much of the time it's good to have the critters not want to come into contact with smelly peoples or their lovely cages everafter their release. BTW, I'd love it if we'd all be angry at our temporary handlers.

Go angry kitty!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

That's one hell of a bidet

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Malachi Constant posted:

You son of a bitch. I just tested my kids on our unit on Force, and despite emphasizing it again and again I still get a few kids unclear that weight is a force.

It's mass times the gravitational field, fucker! (or "acceleration due to gravity" if you prefer) A force directed toward the center of the Earth!

Mass is a perfectly acceptable unit in this case because it is obviously occurring on Earth where weight and mass are proportional.

Okay, that's out of my system.

Now explain why water isn't wet.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gaseous water isn't wet. Eat it dickcunt!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45745082
An Italian bank manager who robbed from the rich to give to the poor has narrowly escaped going to prison.
Gilberto Baschiera was the bank manager in the small mountain town of Forni di Sopra, where he stole about €1m (£0.9m) over seven years.
He took small amounts from wealthy clients and transferred it to those who couldn't qualify for credit.
But he never pocketed a penny for himself - and avoided going to jail after a plea bargain with authorities.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Grem posted:

Now explain why water isn't wet.

Oh yeah, I already get that a lot. They get flummoxed when I say, "what is your definition of wet?"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

ekuNNN posted:

An Italian bank manager who robbed from the rich to give to the poor has narrowly escaped going to prison.
Gilberto Baschiera was the bank manager in the small mountain town of Forni di Sopra, where he stole about €1m (£0.9m) over seven years.
He took small amounts from wealthy clients and transferred it to those who couldn't qualify for credit.
But he never pocketed a penny for himself - and avoided going to jail after a plea bargain with authorities.

:unsmith:

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

DontMockMySmock posted:

Can't really be that accurate without knowing about local variations in g.

Yo mama so fat that she causes local variations in g.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ekuNNN posted:

Magnifico.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Extending credit to people who can't afford it. What could go wrong?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Solice Kirsk posted:

:yikes:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Solice Kirsk posted:

What do you worry will go wrong?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If he was just giving them the money he took it would have been better.

I get the feeling he wasn't doing it as altruistically as it's being presented.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
How about the poor saps who unknowingly took stolen money? Are they gonna have to pay it back?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, that would be even worse if now they get sued for what they thought was a legitimate bank loan.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

If he was just giving them the money he took it would have been better.

I get the feeling he wasn't doing it as altruistically as it's being presented.

It says that he "transferred" it to them, not that he extended them credit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh, I thought it said he transferred it to them so they could qualify for the credit line. I was a bit drunk when reading it.

Edit:

Nope, I was right.

quote:

When a citizen of the town came to him looking for a loan - but did not qualify - Baschiera would "add" money to their account so that they would qualify for credit.

Grateful customers agreed to repay that money quickly - but some did not, leaving Baschiera exposed.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Dec 9, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Theres a reason some people dont qualify for a loan. The system is broken. Cheating them a loan does not fix the systemic probalems and just fucks the people who cant pay for the loan they couldnt get.

See THE HOUSING MARKET CRASH.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bombadilillo posted:

Theres a reason some people dont qualify for a loan. The system is broken. Cheating them a loan does not fix the systemic probalems and just fucks the people who cant pay for the loan they couldnt get.

See THE HOUSING MARKET CRASH.

On the other hand if you can't get a car because you have no money and can't hold down a job because you don't have a car, you don't have a lot of other options. Or should that banker have donated that money to mass transit projects?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

On the other hand if you can't get a car because you have no money and can't hold down a job because you don't have a car, you don't have a lot of other options. Or should that banker have donated that money to mass transit projects?

It's a good point, and not all the people didnt pay, but enough didnt to bring Robin Hood here down.

But yeah, fixing mass transit would be the "fixing systemic problems" in your scenario. Ideally by taxing the gently caress out of 'bankers' and doing good things with that money

Edit: super derail sorry, I'll stop now

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
All bankers are bastards

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

beanieson posted:

All bankers are bastards

As a banker, can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I agree, kill all bankers.