Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i never got the thing where people thought that koth was an endorsement for conservative ideas.

its a story about people, not a life lesson. you don't have to agree with or even like the characters to enjoy a story.

I hear ya, but I had to give up trying to explain it to people. Some folks have to think the characters in a story are their friends, and they're not wrong. The same people boo hardest at the heavy and that's an essential ingredient in some stories.

But I totally understand, the section of the audience that needs to like the characters makes the idea of flaws (the most important part of any character) for heros tough to navigate. That's why people who attempt it are brave, they know they're gonna lose some of the audience by presenting a more nuanced character, one you can't agree on everything with.

TL;DR Hodgeson's law: "Don't worry who will get this. Know the right people will get this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The episode where Dale is hired to exterminate rats from Megalomart is one of the most pitch perfect episodes.

i wonder whatever happened to that mongoose...?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The episode where Dale is hired to exterminate rats from Megalomart is one of the most pitch perfect episodes.

"You're releasing rats into the store?"

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I hear ya, but I had to give up trying to explain it to people. Some folks have to think the characters in a story are their friends, and they're not wrong. The same people boo hardest at the heavy and that's an essential ingredient in some stories.

But I totally understand, the section of the audience that needs to like the characters makes the idea of flaws (the most important part of any character) for heros tough to navigate. That's why people who attempt it are brave, they know they're gonna lose some of the audience by presenting a more nuanced character, one you can't agree on everything with.

TL;DR Hodgeson's law: "Don't worry who will get this. Know the right people will get this."

The reason people think KOTH endorses conservative ideals is because Hank isn’t presented as a nuanced, flawed character in the latter half of the series. Like 75% of the plots from season 8 through 13 can pretty much be summarized as “Hank battles a liberal straw man and is eventually proven to be right”. Like the trans fats episode (literally titled “Trans-Facism”), Hank is 100% right and his point is proven exactly.

KOTH, at its best, was a give and take between Mike Judge and Greg Daniels. Judge has always been pretty blatant about putting his political beliefs in comedy, while Daniels has a long history of character based comedy. I’ve always considered seasons 2-4 the golden age of the show, and Hank is characterized as you describe, with flaws and nuances. Like the episode where Bobby gets a job at the race track, and Hank pushes the idea of being a hard worker so much Bobby risks his life trying to cross the race track because his boss said to. Hank wasn’t totally wrong, but he also wasn’t totally right.

In season 8, new show runners take over and they go back to the Judge style for the remainder of the show.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Detective No. 27 posted:

I still call people Mega-lo chumps

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

JB50 posted:

Hmmm a former football player turned blue collar worker in Texas.

"I cant believe hes so conservative" -A Goon

I literally said it was set in texas you dummy.

Which episode was it had hank extolling the virtues of canned beer vs bottle? I think it "keeps it a few degrees cooler" or something

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Hank says beer from a can always tastes 2 degrees cooler than beer from a bottle in this song on the King of the Hill soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrNQjReV0gw

I don't recall him ever saying it in a real episode

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's really good. My perfect episode is ho yeah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

JB50 posted:

Hmmm a former football player turned blue collar worker in Texas.

"I cant believe hes so conservative" -A Goon

He's a fictional character you loving moron.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i never got the thing where people thought that koth was an endorsement for conservative ideas.

its a story about people, not a life lesson. you don't have to agree with or even like the characters to enjoy a story.

You are forgetting how many episodes there are where Hank owns a liberal strawman. Coincidentally, those are almost all from the seasons where Mike judge was more personally involved.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 6, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

your dream date is here

No, these are for me.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I like how Bobby thinks Gary is the way he is because that's what Arizona is.

As someone from Arizona, I loving wish.

Worked with a guy like that, but he was Jewish and from New York.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
you want I should pass you the potatoes? Its the cool way people from Arizona talk

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think I remember that one

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Who What Now posted:

I don't think I remember that one

There were no rats. It was Chuck Mangione

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hank has a sort of business friendhsip with the manager of Megalomart. The manager tells Hank that the store has a rat problem and he needs to get it taken care of on the downlow and asks if Hank knows a good exterminator. After some convincing, Hank hesistantly suggests Dale. Dale uses all his rat killing traps but comes up empty. So he decides to spend the night in Megalomart on the suspicion that there's a babboon on the loose. But that's a lie he tells the manager because Dale believes the true culprit is Chuck Mangione.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What's the episode number?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Season 7, E10- Megalo Dale

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nooner posted:

you want I should pass you the potatoes? Its the cool way people from Arizona talk

Huh. You say you I like instead of I like you.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Megalomart manager voiced by Tom Arnold!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

well, maybe that's because it "feels so good" to be alive.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
No, that’s not it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I call you "Full Tank Hank"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I just remembered that this happened, and laughed at the memory, then even harder at the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1_srb7wcTA

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

The episode with the Mega-Lo Mart explosion is one of the best of the whole series.

I loved the scene where Mangione is being led away by the paramedics and says, "I don't feel so good!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

'Chick' Mangione? I'm not a chick, I'm a dude!

*brains anger management teacher with flugelhorn*

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I found a shrink-wrapped Chuck Mangione cassette at my college last year

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

All day yesterday, I've had, to the tune of Joan Jett's "I Love Rock & Roll", Hank singing "I Will Tell you What" and it's both funny and maddening.

Today is looking to be more of the same, but now I need to make up more parody lyrics.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/nFuwS9M7jkQ

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

The moment I knew something real was happening with this show.

I take care of disabled seniors as my day-job and have been privileged to care for a few WWII vets. They definitely had some outdated views but they were also way way more knowledgeable about world history and other cultures than I expected. The 90 year old career car salesman who refused to sell German cars right up to his retirement had some BMW jokes that would knock you out if you weren't careful.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

...BMW jokes that would knock you out if you weren't careful.

You had better share

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
People backing off after sensing how dangerous hank is is still one of my favorite gags.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ChazTurbo posted:

People backing off after sensing how dangerous hank is is still one of my favorite gags.

https://youtu.be/QZHM41ntOLc

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ChazTurbo posted:

The one where he barks at Bobby to get to the living room and Bobby just turns like a puppet possessed by masters vapors

Then he immediately does the same to Peggy Lmao

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Oh and khan is taking medication for manic depressive disorder but based on his symptoms (specifically the time frame) he is more likely to have borderline

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Improbable Lobster posted:

You are forgetting how many episodes there are where Hank owns a liberal strawman. Coincidentally, those are almost all from the seasons where Mike judge was more personally involved.

I always saw it as Hank owns some nerds, who rightfully deserved it.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

I found a shrink-wrapped Chuck Mangione cassette at my college last year

i couldnt stop my buddy from buying the record when he found it at a flea market

he just had to have it his love for koth is so strong and hes a consumer whore

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i couldnt stop my buddy from buying the record when he found it at a flea market

he just had to have it his love for koth is so strong and hes a consumer whore

The true test is buying a Raymond J Johnson album.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i have a pokemon named Ray'or'Jay and thats as close as ill come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

All day yesterday, I've had, to the tune of Joan Jett's "I Love Rock & Roll", Hank singing "I Will Tell you What" and it's both funny and maddening.

Today is looking to be more of the same, but now I need to make up more parody lyrics.
I’ve played “The Boy Ain’t Right” to the tune of “The Heat Is On” in my head since like the first or second season.