Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

absolute unit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

absolute unit

Yeah he's really good and underrated imo

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

bruno malfacine choked my coach so hard that he lost feeling in one side of his body and it took a year to fully come back

Did he compress a nerve? Did your coach have a stroke?

It's poo poo like this (along with that Micky's hard liquor bit with the UFC fighters - the Irish hand grenade saying he got hit so hard he lost his sense of smell) that just reinforces were all very fragile meatbags, held together with chicken wire and prayer.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
If you care about the Estimalock, you need to see this video! This is one of my teammates, Brandon, teaching. He's picked out details that Braulio and others use in competition but don't really cover well in their tutorials as well as putting his own details on it. This is an incredibly brutal and efficient Estimalock.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrGKI8agVQ2/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrGLQNcAoU1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1krwrxijgihjv

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrGZm4vAzoL/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=15z0frainm57y

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 8, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xguard86 posted:

Double post because I missed this:

I actually checked ATT first but it's like 30 -40 minutes away from where I'll be working. Unless for some reason I need to live that far away it's too much driving for my taste.

Fair enough.

Total side thing: started the Judo practices my club offers and the black belt instructor (korean guy) tried so hard to speak English so i could understand, but he used up all his vocabulary which was already limited and just went "gently caress..guuu (which is korean for "uhhhh" or "so....") you.....guuu.....poo poo....". He kept using English swear words as a filler word while he thought of what to say.

Had me in stitches just from the awkwardness of it.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 8, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Double post because I missed this:

I actually checked ATT first but it's like 30 -40 minutes away from where I'll be working. Unless for some reason I need to live that far away it's too much driving for my taste.

I grew up in davie and plantation and currently live and work in miami (brickell) if you wanna PM me about neighborhoods or schools or something.

Irt gym, ATT is the best in ftl but Blackhouse mma has an open mat on sundays at 10am in north beach (30min south) and there are some good gyms in miami. Cyborg has a gym that's amazing and Rilion Gracie in gables.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

Did he compress a nerve? Did your coach have a stroke?

It's poo poo like this (along with that Micky's hard liquor bit with the UFC fighters - the Irish hand grenade saying he got hit so hard he lost his sense of smell) that just reinforces were all very fragile meatbags, held together with chicken wire and prayer.

Some kind of nerve compression thing in or around the neck. It was a while ago, I’ve forgotten the specifics.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It is a very strong child, so I will defeat him without mercy?

https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/1071167909148454917

:ohdear:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To anyone who has downloaded the Danaher Kimura DVDs, how big are they?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Waroduce posted:

I grew up in davie and plantation and currently live and work in miami (brickell) if you wanna PM me about neighborhoods or schools or something.

Irt gym, ATT is the best in ftl but Blackhouse mma has an open mat on sundays at 10am in north beach (30min south) and there are some good gyms in miami. Cyborg has a gym that's amazing and Rilion Gracie in gables.

PMed.

I noticed ATT coming up a lot as recommended I put it on my list in case we live closer.

I actually know an instructor in Miami, was bummed when I realized it's too far for daily training.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

ICHIBAHN posted:

To anyone who has downloaded the Danaher Kimura DVDs, how big are they?

~4.4gb

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

It is a very strong child, so I will defeat him without mercy?

https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/1071167909148454917

:ohdear:

What are the rules of Polaris? Hoping it’s not like Kasai which is boring af IMO

butros
Aug 2, 2007

http://bfy.tw/LFq1

Basically iirc sub only, all subs allowed nogi, most allowed in gi matches. 15 minute matches, judge or ref decision if no sub.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been running a judo tournament all day and now I'm jumping in to compete vs a black belt who is half my age. Just ripped home to grab my gi and shitpost about it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Sometimes I wish there was pussy Judo where I could learn to throw people but no one is allowed to throw me

I've been doing Judo supplements and its fun but there are days where I am like "man, I really don't feel like falling down a bunch"

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

PMed.

I noticed ATT coming up a lot as recommended I put it on my list in case we live closer.

I actually know an instructor in Miami, was bummed when I realized it's too far for daily training.

let me know what you end up going with (I'm in Miami). definitely don't try to find a place too far out. fight sports was technically just 10 miles away but it would have added a two hour commute to my day bc South FL is a hellworld

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok here's the story. I was running the tournament master draw. The afternoon matches got all ganked up becuase people started going up in age/weight to start making particular matches happen and/or because they didn't like how things were being combined. We ended up with a division where there were 3 guys - one was 72.5, one was 80 kg, and one was 89 kg. The smaller kid didn't want to fight the biggest kid, and the other obvious divisional shift would have put him against his own brother, which isn't great. This kid drove a couple hours for a match, and was looking at either an unfair one, a bout against his brother, or nothing (or likewise for the bigger kid). I looked at it, hopped on a scale, weighed in at 72.9 in my pants with a sandwich in my hand, made sure his coaches and the head refs had no objections, and I ran and grabbed my gi.

So my opponent was a 17 year old black belt. Judo is extremely conservative with youth grading (black belts under 18 are really rare, at least in Canada), so that says something about him. He has been to nationals and is a future elite nationals prospect. I'd fought his brother before, and I had some scouting on him, so I knew that I wouldn't be able to keep up with his speed, even a little, but I also knew his favourite techniques. My game plan was to work reverse-grip throws to keep him uncomfortable, keep two particular counters readied, and make it a slog.

Match 1 went better than match 2. He was beating me in the grips and not letting me get a good lapel grip. I tried entering a couple time for some sleeve throws but he was too fast for me to get my hips in. He went for a shoulder throw and I side stepped it and dove for a clock strangle, which didn't hit because I didn't have a proper lapel grip - but he stepped over into my half guard, and I managed to get a kimura, which turned him over. He admitted afterward that the kimura was painful, but he managed to get his hand on his hip to defend it a bit, bridged out of the pin dilemma I had. I got my legs over for spiderweb but the ref broke us up efore I could break his grip. On the reset we tumbled around a bit - I think he scored a wazaari in here - and went through a scenario where I came close to a bow-and-arrow, but the ref again broke us up before I could really sink it in. I was getting tired and noticed he had been probing the major inside trip, so I tried to counter it with a drop technique, but he was too fast and countered my counter for the win.

One of his coaches told him to stay away from my ground game after the first match.

Match 2 he was more careful to go for ippon-or-nothing. I was having trouble getting a good grip and I tried to counter one of his entries with a belly-to-back suplex. I lost my grip part way through the technique, fell on my back, and the ref awarded him the ippon on the landing. I disagree with the ippon in that situation (he didn't have control, which is one of the criteria), but :shrug: I'm not really that upset. He's better than me at judo so it's not as if the wrong guy won because of a weak call.

So basically I overperformed relative to "37 year old recreational brown belt fights 17 year old elite national prospect black belt."

#2 in the province :dukedog:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

you should own him by buying multiple houses and burning a bunch of fossil fuels and sending all the entry-level jobs overseas

we’ll see who laughs last, bitch

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm thinking about doing a Grappling Industries event in January. I haven't competed in like 3+ years :ohdear:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm thinking about doing a Grappling Industries event in January. I haven't competed in like 3+ years :ohdear:

The only sub only one?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

butros posted:

The only sub only one?

Yeah. Sub only is actually kind of a crappy ruleset for me but that seems to be the direction grappling tournaments have been heading, and this one is being held like 10 blocks from my apartment.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

you should own him by buying multiple houses and burning a bunch of fossil fuels and sending all the entry-level jobs overseas

:vince:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

:hmmyes:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah. Sub only is actually kind of a crappy ruleset for me but that seems to be the direction grappling tournaments have been heading, and this one is being held like 10 blocks from my apartment.

I was looking at that one too, but the fact that is single elimination makes it a potentially spendy proposition if you only get one match.

There’s a regular round robin tournament they are putting on in Feb I’m thinking about - seems like there might be a better likelihood of at least a handful of matches, and if I signed up for gi and nogi the dollar per match ratio comes down pretty significantly.

E: why do you feel sub only is a crappy ruleset for you?

butros fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 9, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/FloGrappling/status/1071230779638845441

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

butros posted:

E: why do you feel sub only is a crappy ruleset for you?

Coming from sambo I tend to have stronger takedowns and positional control but you can't score with any of that in sub-only.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I did the last grappling industries Manhattan last month and had a good time. Better organized than the past tournaments of theirs I had been to - they've got a real time online match schedule now that helps. Might get around to sharing the videos here but they need some processing.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5632954/ jumping back a page, prp has pretty inconsistent evidence and pretty much no evidence for anything but knee osteo arthritis and lateral epicodalytis. Sometimes you get a shot and poo poo just gets better anyway. It costs more and it's an office procedure that allows doctors to differentiate their practice from a neighbor's for better billing and patient attraction so there are market forces that make me uncomfortable.

Also back to the low intensity rolling discussion from a few pages ago, that's good linear periodization. Firas says in the interview that they do go up in pace and intensity, but only in camp. It fits the general model of pogressing from volume to intensity and specificity just like you would if you were prepping for a weight lifting meet.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Is anyone watching Polaris tonight?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Yes. 50/50 in the gi should be illegal.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

butros posted:

Yes. 50/50 in the gi should be illegal.

Counter point, reaping and heel hooks should be legal in the gi instead.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Counter point, reaping and heel hooks should be legal in the gi instead.

Fair enough

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Imanari walked out to the Ghost in the Shell song lol

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got an Ezekial from someones closed guard tonight.

:getin:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I hope I don't someday get beaten up by a 17 year old

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

omg chael crash posted:

I hope I don't someday get beaten up by a 17 year old

Is that about me or about Imanari

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
is it possible to get like a delayed response to a nose injury? I got crossarmed right in the nose over the weekend. Nose has been sore but now, like four days later, its started bleeding like crazy.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

CommonShore posted:

Is that about me or about Imanari

:iiam:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

is it possible to get like a delayed response to a nose injury? I got crossarmed right in the nose over the weekend. Nose has been sore but now, like four days later, its started bleeding like crazy.

Yeah that's totally normal. Noses are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I saw triangle choke work without an arm inside