Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thranguy posted:

I don't see any non-corrupt way you can have Forcett and St Clair coming even close without admitting a few people, Dan West or Norman Borlaug, say, if global impact is the main thing.

(Maybe if the system has decided humans are a net negative, so saving/raising lives start eating the points they earned after a few years; so Mindy was an accounting glitch and helping animals is a better route to go by...)

Well, we don't even truly know that Forcett is that close, based on the Accountant's reaction. It could also be possible that the accountant assigned to Posthumous Charitable Work or whatever was so wowed by Mindy's creation of a globally-revolutionary charity after her death, for the first time, that they overvalued her action and assigned it enough points to make it unclear where she'd go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm kind of hoping that whatever Michael's endgame is will involve having the 4 humans help fool the other Demons in some way to manipulate them. Have the endgame come together to mirror the start of the show. It'd give Danson another chance to do that fantastic evil laugh again, but this time at Shawn's expense. Just "You never noticed at all? Wow. You know how many tries I had to fool those humans? Over 800. And they still figured it out that last time, I had to bullshit you so hard over those centuries! But you didn't even get one!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 8, 2018

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There's a video up on the Good Place Facebook page where D'Arcy talks about making this episode and we see some of the footage from the practise version they made with the cast actually playing out their roles.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you know what happened in 1497

"June 13 – The Catholic Monarchs issue the ordinance of Medina del Campo, creating a money system based on the copper maravedí, creating the peso of 34 maravedis. In the next three centuries, this system will dominate international payments. It will be used in almost all parts of the Americas and large parts of Asia. It is the basis for a number of modern currencies, including the U.S. dollar."

everyone on earth has been tainted by the invention of modern money

In 1497 human culture is not universally connected. No invention is going to spread across it within a lifetime. The Americas have only just been rediscovered by people from the main Europe-Africa-Asia landmass. That landmass is itself hugely divided- with decades or centuries for discoveries to radiate through neighbouring culture groups. Australian aboriginals are only being contacted by groups from New Guinea- who are themselves only loosely contacted by the rest of humanity. The Pacific islanders are completely isolated from people outside of the islands, and will be for a further century or more, depending on the island chain.

With that in mind- If it is something related to a cultural shift, I'm going to be a bit incredulous unless there's some real good explanations going on. Like- from that example why does a Spanish monetary system mean that nobody gets into the Good Place ever again? Even somebody from China, Sub-Saharan Africa or India, who likely won't see a change originating in Europe for multiple decades, or Kiribati, New Zealand or Hawaii- who won't see it, or anything else from the mainland, for multiple centuries.

I'm sure they will be thinking of this if they're going this direction, because the "Sentinel Island" problem is one that still exists in modern times. It's also a big question for Religious apologetics- the "Fate of the Unlearned"- and there are probably some interesting philosophy points you can get into.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Or, it really is The Bad Place hacking the gibson.

I mean, look how obsessed Shawn is with The Four That Got Away.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Maybe the system isn't unfair. Maybe the human race is depraved and evil and we deserve the bad place.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

At least Harriet Tubman deserves to get in.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DoubleCakes posted:

At least Harriet Tubman deserves to get in.

Do you know how many snails she stepped on in her lifetime? Over 7. OVER SEVEN! And she did not care in the least.

Bad Place bound.

edit: I think it has to do with the amount of choices available to people. The first two point events were giving someone a rock and that someone killing them with that rock. And since then choices grew exponentially until every there are so many choices it eventually became impossible to make all of them right to get into the Good Place.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 9, 2018

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Gaz-L posted:

I really, really want the whole cast of The Good Place to guest on the new season of Veronica Mars, but I know it would be distracting.

I've been thinking about starting watching Veronica Mars just for more Kristen Bell. I never paid much attention to her until this show

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Veronica Mars still hold up. Plus it's got a great cast of recurring characters and guest stars, like Alyson Hannigan, Harry Hamlin, and Ken Marino.

The next show to watch after that is Party Down, of course.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If Fred Rogers didn't make it to the Good Place, then that's all the proof I need that the system is broken.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you know what happened in 1497

"June 13 – The Catholic Monarchs issue the ordinance of Medina del Campo, creating a money system based on the copper maravedí, creating the peso of 34 maravedis. In the next three centuries, this system will dominate international payments. It will be used in almost all parts of the Americas and large parts of Asia. It is the basis for a number of modern currencies, including the U.S. dollar."

everyone on earth has been tainted by the invention of modern money

honestly it would be pretty on the nose making capitalism the thing that's loving over humanity

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

greententacle posted:

I've been thinking about starting watching Veronica Mars just for more Kristen Bell. I never paid much attention to her until this show

Season one of Veronica Mars is some excellent TV, despite stunt casting Paris Hilton. Seasons two and three are decent (they clearly didn’t have any idea beyond season one’s murder mystery when they created the show).

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pseudorandom name posted:

Season one of Veronica Mars is some excellent TV, despite stunt casting Paris Hilton. Seasons two and three are decent (they clearly didn’t have any idea beyond season one’s murder mystery when they created the show).

I disagree slightly, the first two seasons are great, but season two is absolutely the show at its best (less Lilly and Duncan)

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
I could’ve sworn I saw Leslie Knope briefly in that rotating human stack.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Conclusions posted:

I could’ve sworn I saw Leslie Knope briefly in that rotating human stack.
Same, but it looks like a 1998 version of Amy Poehler.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The "Nobody getting into the Good Place" reminds me of the BBC show "Old Harry's Game", where basically everyone ended up in hell. Though to be fair, Jane Austen was a violent thug.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

long-term plot speculation: the good place itself is completely broken and good place architects and leadership is fubar, completely unwilling to listen. The gang eventually turn around form a plan to rehabilitate the bad place into something approaching a 'just' afterlife. I have no idea how to get Sean to go along with this but maybe Eleanor can get him to experience existential dread and break/fix him like she did with Michael? Alternatively Shawn gets retired. I am not in favour of this because a bad place without MEJ is like whiskey without alcohol.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 9, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I was wondering if they're back in the bad place again. Maybe Sean re-routed the portal and put the filter back on so they couldn't swear.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

double nine posted:

long-term plot speculation: the good place itself is completely broken and good place architects and leadership is fubar, completely unwilling to listen. The gang eventually turn around form a plan to rehabilitate the bad place into something approaching a 'just' afterlife. I have no idea how to get Sean to go along with this but maybe Eleanor can get him to experience existential dread and break/fix him like she did with Michael?

It's not going to be that easy - Michael had a weakpoint, his curiosity towards humanity. Shawn doesn't have that. Michael's curiosity became a backdoor to empathy, but Shawn won't be that simple.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Guys my wife is wearing leggings as pants please advise.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

It's not going to be that easy - Michael had a weakpoint, his curiosity towards humanity. Shawn doesn't have that. Michael's curiosity became a backdoor to empathy, but Shawn won't be that simple.

Yeah there's no way Shawn's being turned into a good person. He LOVES what he does too much.

Your Taint posted:

Sorry, she's absolutely destined for the Bad Place now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Whatever's going to happen, whatever Michael plans to do, no one will be able to effectively predict him because no one has the imagination to realise the scope of the problem - they might think he's trying to ignore the system, or jump the chain of command and take control of it, but by the time Michael's done, the chain won't exist in any recognisable way. Shawn and the others are going to be left reeling by the mess that will result from Michael noticing how hosed the system is and doing what demons do best - tearing it limb from limb.

Basically Shawn is going to be the audience surrogate, having no idea what's going to happen next and trying to counter something that's no longer going on based on outdated intel. I really hope that by the end of the show he's totally lost his cool.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 9, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually anticipating that the angels (or demon equivalent in the Good Place) are also happy with the current state of the system and will resist Michael's attempts at change. Thus the Soul Squad has to contend with an angel/demon teamup who will try to stop them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Your Taint posted:

Hey, I'm wearing leggings as pants too! :D

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i'm wearing pants as leggings

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm wearing pants as leggings as a shirt.

Send help.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

God I can't believe I have to wait till next month to see whatever their insane set up is going to be.

It also feels like this is the point where the show will have to take a proper moral stance, and after three seasons of poking holes in all moral systems I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Kanine posted:

honestly it would be pretty on the nose making capitalism the thing that's loving over humanity
yeah but it is tho

FoEzy
Dec 9, 2018

GreenNight posted:

I’m guessing a lot of babies died in 500 years.

I'm picturing a history we didn't see with Michael working his way up to Architect spending 500 years in the baby torturing division of the Bad Place. All flashing forward to Michael in Accounting where he finds out basically nobody makes it to the Good Place and THAT is what tips him off that the system is broken.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm actually anticipating that the angels (or demon equivalent in the Good Place) are also happy with the current state of the system and will resist Michael's attempts at change. Thus the Soul Squad has to contend with an angel/demon teamup who will try to stop them.

The Soul Squad needs to find Sam and Dean. They're good at this stuff.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It also feels like this is the point where the show will have to take a proper moral stance, and after three seasons of poking holes in all moral systems I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Let's see, hot fruit is bad. Peanut butter & Jelly sandwiches are nature's most perfect food, and Wins are a terrible metric to evaluate pitchers.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Warm fruit pie is...bad?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Propaganda Machine posted:

Warm fruit pie is...bad?

According to Michael Schur, yes.
https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/status/1068512541758808064

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That's cool but if you've ever made jam you know that licking the hot fruit goo from the whisk is pretty much the best part, like cookie dough. And what about warm fruit sauce and syrups for cold non-fruit desserts?!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that take is the worst thing michael schur has ever done

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

That's tremendous praise for Michael Schur's body of work :)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

greententacle posted:

Veronica Mars is great, but there were some very questionable "feminists are all militant assholes and Veronica is like one of the guys and therefore better and correct" overtones in the third season, which is a bizarre choice in your hard-boiled girl power noir detective show aimed at teen girls.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/status/1068518892220297216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
He's also against soup in general, I think. Mike Schur is full of weird bad food opinions.