Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That’s probably the first time I’ve ever heard someone describe Rage as having incredible visuals. Even for the time it was a blurry mess with terrible textures. Good character models though. You know who I’m talking about.

John Goodman of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Me... kinda.
Rage 1 was a perfectly decent shooter with incredible visuals and fun animations.

The main criticism is that it's shallow but it's not a bad game.

Wrong on all counts, very impressive.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I mean...I don't even NEED much!
Just Cause can go one way or another: scale it the gently caress back to a small city with high towers that makes use of your grapple to traverse across rooftops. Ramp up the stealth and combat options, and you got a Die Hard type action game. Like Batman with webshooters.

Or keep the scale but make the character a LOT less fragile and ramp up the number of enemies and bullets flying around the screen there can be before I die.

The entire game is built around physics and explosions and the main gimmick of the game is your grappling hook. The game then drops you into a world that punishes you for playing with physics or explosions and has no real reason to ever actually use your grappling hook aside from travel. It's like if in the game "Portal" you never actually used the Portal gun for anything but traveling from room to room and each room contained a very broken shooter.

And if you tried to use the portal gun during the very broken shooter you would fall, janky legged, twitching and rag dolling slowly down a mountain side for six seconds while sixteen snipers shot all of your limbs multiple times just in case they were in the video game adaptation of "The Thing".

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 9, 2018

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I've gotten mixed up in a few big fights now in JC4, at least compared to JC3 when I'm almost dead in a firefight I can quick grapple around the area a couple times and quickly regain my health. Like some explosion goes off that almost kills me, I go downstairs and get a snack while I'm waiting for Rico to recover from the rag doll state and get back up, then when I get back he is just about standing again and if I'm not dead yet I can usually quick grapple a couple times across the ground and my health regenerates.

I need to find an unlimited ammo mod soon though, because the grapple is only good at killing foot soldiers and doesn't really work on tanks and there is never enough conventional ammo or other explosives to just kill them. At least with helicopters/drones you can tether them together or to the ground and use the retractors to pretty much instantly kill them, but to kill a tank with the grapple it takes either a boatload of boosters, or a boatload of floaters and at that point just stealing it is faster. Same for sabotaging destructible stuff actually, I have to use tethers which are often times super slow and tedious because it takes 3 of your 7 RPG shots to blow up one fuel tank.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Earwicker posted:

and man it is frustrating to take down an entire base while some counter still sits at "0%"
You know what's even better, get far away and then go back. Objects respawned.

InsertPotPun posted:

Or keep the scale but make the character a LOT less fragile and ramp up the number of enemies and bullets flying around the screen there can be before I die.
IMO the scale is fine, makes it feel like an actual place. The settlements need to be just a lil' larger, and the obligatory city sections needs to be way larger. There's space for it, after all. I mean, JC2 from ages ago did it better than 3 and 4.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 9, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

I need to find an unlimited ammo mod soon though, because the grapple is only good at killing foot soldiers and doesn't really work on tanks and there is never enough conventional ammo or other explosives to just kill them.

quickest way to kill a tank in a big fight situation is to just grapple your way to the tank and get in and drive it, then just parachute back out right as its about to die from all the people shooting it

its also kind of frustrating but much easier than using actual weapons

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Me... kinda.
Rage 1 was a perfectly decent shooter with incredible visuals and fun animations.

The main criticism is that it's shallow but it's not a bad game.

Did you buy it on release? That was also a fun one, because the drivers were lagging behind the game, so supertexturing used to pop in really badly.

As you say, shallow, and with no real storyline except for go here and shoot that. With driving sections.

I was amazed when i saw there was a sequel.

Edit: bulletstorm was better on every metric. <tears off shirt>

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 9, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The worst thing is with a potential JC5, because of the reception of this part, it may not happen. If it does, it'll take another few years, and it's still questionable if it'd turn out better this time. You could understand that JC3 turned out the way it did (even tho I think it was OK enough). But even with the criticism of it all over the place, they still hosed up JC4, because of the usual thing, that is every party involved seemingly living in an RDF on how they think people played these games. I mean, just look at E3 et al, when the big companies run these stilted demos of their multiplayer games. Every year the same poo poo, and people still don't play the way they keep presenting it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

because of the usual thing, that is every party involved seemingly living in an RDF on how they think people played these games.

thats only half of the problem really. the other half is that the whole thing was just a sloppy rush job. you dont have to know much about game design to know that in 2018 people expect water to have waves and not just be a repeating tile like its morrowind, or that bizarrely applied extreme motion blur looks bad.

there are definitely some things about game design that these people just fundamentally dont get, but also surely anyone at the company just taking a casual glance at how the game looks visually on consoles can see that its crap compared to any other AAA title that came out in the last two years. or compared to their own JC3 for that matter!

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Have they fixed everything in this game yet? I put it in the PS4 but I haven't bothered to play it based on the hate for it in here...are most of the missions really against the clock because that loving sucks rotten cocks

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive only done four missions and they all had against-the-clock sections, with varying levels of irritation involved in that. but yeah mostly the missions suck

and no they havent fixed anything yet. they said it will be "a couple weeks"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Popete posted:

It is really crazy how little this game is being discussed.

I sorta knew it was coming out as a casual JC fan, and then realized it was out this past Tuesday and got kind of excited to maybe pick it up. I dropped JC3 real fast due to excessive load times and a lack of much to do besides blow up red containers.

Everyone seems to have just completely blown past this game already.

it came out 3 days before Smash Ultimate, nobody gave a poo poo about anything coming out in that same timeframe

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hav posted:

But who’s stoked for the awesome ‘Rage 2’ now, eh?

i am, i liked the setting from 1 and having it made by doom people and the dudes who made mad max seem like great combo.

Hav posted:

Edit: bulletstorm was better on every metric. <tears off shirt>

Oh a 100%. bulletstorm is loving classic and a legit good and funny game.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ow, my goondolences to you guys buying this at launch :smith:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

sauer kraut posted:

:sigh:

I'm still kicking myself, I shouldn't be anywhere near computers when I'm drunk.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Deakul posted:

I'm still kicking myself, I shouldn't be anywhere near computers when I'm drunk.

You know, if the worst thing you (and I!) regret doing while drunk is buying a bad videogame that's honestly like one of the best case scenarios.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

sauer kraut posted:

Another one on the "Man I need to stop preordering" checklist. I upgraded my rig recently and I wanted a game to try out on it and the JC series have always been lookers for the most part, I guess they wanted to prove me wrong this time :v:

I'm still having fun dicking around in it, it's not a total disappointment and I do enjoy it more than JC3, but I was hoping this would be a return to form.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
You guys are really on point about the $30-40 price range. If they had just added weather to JC3 and left every single thing the same and released at $40 it would be getting 8/10 reviews. Those last $20 really command a lot of expectations that most dev studios just can't meet.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

I blame Jobbo Fett.

I was taunted about hating fun, and thought, ‘I’ll show him’. It’s backfired a bit.

So remember that vengeance is a mugs game and don’t preorder videogames. Don’t be me.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

went to try play a bit of this game again just now on xbox one x and now its just a black screen? the sound works fine but there is no visual anything. my other games are all working just fine so its not my console and no new downloads have come in since yesterday so ??????

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

went to try play a bit of this game again just now on xbox one x and now its just a black screen? the sound works fine but there is no visual anything. my other games are all working just fine so its not my console and no new downloads have come in since yesterday so ??????

...you dodged a bullet? Try grabbing a scratch ticket and see if you win.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an actual city or an Isla Nublar/LOST island in this one? That's what I want. That's what JC3 forgot. (though its map blew)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
at this point I'm hoping ID can do for RAGE 2 what Nintendo did for Eternal Darkness. I basically only really like JC2 from Avalanche and even that is honestly a terrible game also when you're not just loving around.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Is the auto save bugged as well? I was in the middle of a mission, died, waited for it to reload the checkpoint and the auto save icon to dissappear and quit the game and upon relaunching the game I end up very far away off where I started the mission and get to drive/fly/ there again to restart it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Decided to give the game another shot after playing about 2 hours on launch and now it's consistently crashing after a few minutes of playtime.

:negative:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rico's voice actor bothers me a lot. He sounds like he's constipated. The one from JC3 did a way better job.

Also, Sheldon sounds way different and sorta out of character, too.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Day 9. Still no patch in sight, and only the most generic platitudes from the developers. Most of the spirits have gone, and we're down to bottles of wine. Eventually we'll be forced to break into the Molson, but Peters has declared that he'll go overboard before drinking it.

I'm still crashing, the old GPU infinite loop, a half-remembered memory says that yes, I did have problems with Just Cause 3, but that was two videocards ago. The Radeon 7770. Such sweet times. Such terrible times.

I can feel the horizon burning into my retinas as I wait for anything, a sign, a hint of rescue, but to pass the time it's best to reminisce and get lost in memories of better times. In Just Cause 3.

That one time you found a geometry fail at 200mph.

Random statue

That one base

A snowman

HovaBox

A Hammer

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's Mjölnir, you uncultured swine!

Real shame this game is dead in the water. I just wanted to dick around with balloons and boosters but this whole ordeal is unacceptable.

Hopefully people got a refund when they could.

You might be able to get one anyway if you plead a decent case to Valve. This game is flat-out incomplete.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've seen threads where early opinions on a game rapidly soured but i don't recall one that was actively in mourning like this

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

That's Mjölnir, you uncultured swine!

I couldn't do the weird moon language justice. My original caption was 'Thor? I could barely pith.'

Inzombiac posted:

Hopefully people got a refund when they could.

You might be able to get one anyway if you plead a decent case to Valve. This game is flat-out incomplete.

I'm considering making the case, because the silence from the developers, even claiming a full sprint after launch is a bit on the 'whoa' side.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oxxidation posted:

i've seen threads where early opinions on a game rapidly soured but i don't recall one that was actively in mourning like this

On a personal level it's because of the huge amount of squandered potential.

And Goons can't let anything go.

And we're bored and optimistically hoping for a miracle patch.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Oxxidation posted:

it's because this game probably kills just cause. a series generally doesn't recover from games like this, especially considering how pretty much nobody is even talking about this game anywhere. they aren't even talking about how bad it is, it's like it just doesn't fuckin exist at all. in all likelihood that means real, real bad things for sales.

i'd absolutely love for the a-team to get back to just cause and make just cause 5 the true sequel to just cause 2 that i've been dying for, but i doubt just cause 5 ever happens after this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I want a Just Cause game with a deeper strategy layer, more management of your army of revolutionaries sending them to attack or defend towns/cities.

Just Cause 3 didn't really click for me, you were dropped into a giant open world with everything unlocked and screwing around in it was fun for awhile but after blowing up a billion red barrels there wasn't much left to do.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly, I wonder if it won't kill the entire satellite studio. I remember being surprised that Avalanche was big enough to launch a B-team in the first place.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mordja posted:

Honestly, I wonder if it won't kill the entire satellite studio. I remember being surprised that Avalanche was big enough to launch a B-team in the first place.

i bet it does kill their second studio. whether the whole company survives probably depends on how rage 2 does. but since i've never talked to a single human being who was chomping at the bits for a sequel to fuckin rage of all things...yeah, you might be right.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

especially considering how pretty much nobody is even talking about this game anywhere. they aren't even talking about how bad it is, it's like it just doesn't fuckin exist at all.

i didnt know this game was coming out until like a week before it did. in addition to forgetting to make the game until the last minute they also forgot to have any kind of a marketing plan

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i bet it does kill their second studio. whether the whole company survives probably depends on how rage 2 does. but since i've never talked to a single human being who was chomping at the bits for a sequel to fuckin rage of all things...yeah, you might be right.
Rage was painfully banal, but Rage 2 actually looks like fast & dumb fun, but yeah blame Bethesda's belief that even the smallest amount of IP recognition is a good thing. See: last year's Prey, which had absolutely nothing to do with 2006 Prey.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Earwicker posted:

i didnt know this game was coming out until like a week before it did. in addition to forgetting to make the game until the last minute they also forgot to have any kind of a marketing plan

The B team must have hired a "Social media consultant" for all of their marketing needs.

I've never seen such a big game go this far under the radar. It's baffling.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps they knew this game was gonna flop and wrote it off as a loss even before launch. Which is probably why there has been very little commitment or comment regarding bugs/patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

But the core of the game isn't any worse than JC3 and it has more toys and ways to gently caress around.

Considering it a write-off would mean they knew they were going to ship a buggy product early on and have no intention of fixing it
:negative: