Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ChazTurbo posted:

Survival games are a boring pretend job genre for boring people who like their games to feel like busywork.
Edit: Also mp based ones like rust are hella biased towards clans of neets/shut ins/kids.

Agreed, it seems like the people who really really get into survival games are universally unemployed or part-timers who don't have anything else from which to derive a sense of accomplishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Agreed, it seems like the people who really really get into survival games are universally unemployed or part-timers who don't have anything else from which to derive a sense of accomplishment

gently caress you dad!

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

This post brought to you by a goon with 7 pages of posts on RPGs that gets legit mad and swears if people like the "wrong" game studio.

Video games are for children.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish crafting in games would just go away forever. I wish survival games were an extension of what "survival" used be in games, surviving the game with limited resources ala Resident Evil. That is actually fun.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 9, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

504 posted:

This post brought to you by a goon with 7 pages of posts on RPGs that gets legit mad and swears if people like the "wrong" game studio.

Video games are for children.

I don't care what game studios people like but I will sometimes spend like a minute writing a post about RPGs, that's what this thread is for. So summed up over 7 pages of posts that's like... an hour of time per year spent talking about games. That's not the huge own that you seem to think it is lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

veni veni veni posted:

I wish crafting in games would just go away forever. I wish survival games were an extension of what "survival" used be in games, surviving the game with limited resources ala Resident Evil. That is actually fun.

there should be procedurally generated haunted house survival games like resident evil, it's not like the puzzle placement ever made any loving sense anyway

....gently caress that's actually a decent idea, i might gently caress around with this

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Crafting is the one mechanic I've always hated that somehow became a big thing in a lot of newer games. Who the heck wants to look at recipes? I just want to bash/shoot dudes.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It's part of the whole trend to pad out games for people who want to invest hundreds of hours into a game. As long as it's optional and not at the expense of regular people who want a game to be over in a reasonable time, it's fine.

Unpopular Opinion: Games are better when you can complete them in under like 8-10 hours.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

STALKER is the best open world survival sandbox and it doesnt have crafting

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
STALKER is neither open world, not a sandbox.

Well, I guess the third game has elements of non-linearity and somewhat big maps, but even then it's a stretch,

Barudak
May 7, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

there should be procedurally generated haunted house survival games like resident evil, it's not like the puzzle placement ever made any loving sense anyway

....gently caress that's actually a decent idea, i might gently caress around with this

There is an RE1 randomizer mod

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

ChazTurbo posted:

Crafting is the one mechanic I've always hated that somehow became a big thing in a lot of newer games. Who the heck wants to look at recipes? I just want to bash/shoot dudes.

The crafting system in Dead Rising 3 was pretty good. Just get a bunch of poo poo and duct tape whatever you've got together and hit stuff with it.

But I guess that was pretty good because it wasn't essentially an extended side mission with dubious results, instead being a core part of the moment to moment gameplay

Barudak
May 7, 2007

signalnoise posted:

The crafting system in Dead Rising 3 was pretty good. Just get a bunch of poo poo and duct tape whatever you've got together and hit stuff with it.

But I guess that was pretty good because it wasn't essentially an extended side mission with dubious results, instead being a core part of the moment to moment gameplay

You also had a very easy game without it and with it a hilariously easy game. Dead Rising 3 was great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’d play that.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Just make Gone Home again but this time make it an actual haunted house like everyone wanted it to be.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't really get fishing for the right ending. Roleplay how you want, and enjoy what you get
You can look at alternative endings on youtubes later.

Like I dont think I ever maxed out renegade/ paragon in my main mass effect, it was a mix of both because some options just don't fit the character I was playing :shrug:

I've never been able to play a Caesar's Legion ending in New Vegas because I just can't do it

done every other one, found all kinds of missions I've never seen before otherwise, I just can't be that much of an rear end in a top hat in a game giving me that much choice

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ChazTurbo posted:

Whenever a game doesn't have crafting a bunch of loudmouth idiots will show up to ask when the crafting system is showing up, some dudes are just really into the idea of being able to make generic poo poo out of garbage they found in a video game. I think it's a fetish, like they can't get off unless they're able to turn a bunch of rusty cans and a doll's head into a rocket launcher

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

MrQwerty posted:

I've never been able to play a Caesar's Legion ending in New Vegas because I just can't do it

done every other one, found all kinds of missions I've never seen before otherwise, I just can't be that much of an rear end in a top hat in a game giving me that much choice

Play a high INT lady courier and subtly undermine them the entire time, then you'll more or less be in charge by the time you hit the Dam.

Your companion options are pretty limited, but Veronica will stick around if you've done the BoS quest and convince Caesar the Brotherhood is cool. The assassinate Kimball quest had me loving sweating the whole time, it's really fun doing a Legion play-through.

I'm the exact opposite, NCR was the last play-through I did. They're just such blowhard assholes.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I'M BOYCOTTIN YA GAME, BLIZZAD

I'M BOYCOTTIN YA GAME

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

13Pandora13 posted:

Your companion options are pretty limited, but Veronica will stick around if you've done the BoS quest and convince Caesar the Brotherhood is cool. The assassinate Kimball quest had me loving sweating the whole time, it's really fun doing a Legion play-through.

:eyepop:
i had no idea you could save the Brotherhood in a legion play through. drat this game keep surprising me. i think i'm going to play new vegas again

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
i had no idea you could save the Brotherhood in a legion play through. drat this game keep surprising me. i think i'm going to play new vegas again

This make me double check and apparently I'm wrong about this, I don't know how I kept Veronica. I must have dismissed her to the Lucky 38 when I blew up the bunker.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I enjoy The Long Dark and that's a survival crafting type game.

Just the feeling that you can lose everything to a wolf at the wrong moment is pretty thrilling imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

I only ever liked it in TLOU and Alien: Isolation, otherwise it's a terrible mechanic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

504 posted:

I liked the witcher and greatly admired Ciris rear end.

Potent inter dimensional rear end game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I only ever liked it in TLOU and Alien: Isolation, otherwise it's a terrible mechanic.

It's fine as an on the fly, secondary mechanic. Even the original RE let you combine stuff for more powerful effects.Can't think of a more boring thing as a core mechanic for a game though. I guess I don't mind it existing but I hate games based around it.

basically if crafting is gonna be a thing it should be "oh nice I can make a more powerful healing item/weapon with what I have" not " I need to go seek out x item to make a more powerful item"

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 9, 2018

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

It's fine as an on the fly, secondary mechanic. Even the original RE let you combine stuff for more powerful effects.Can't think of a more boring thing as a core mechanic for a game though. I guess I don't mind it existing but I hate games based around it.

basically if crafting is gonna be a thing it should be "oh nice I can make a more powerful healing item/weapon with what I have" not " I need to go seek out x item to make a more powerful item"

The worst is gathering materials to build things that you have to maintain so then you gotta go gather more poo poo to build/maintain stuff.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i miss the crafting system that older elder scrolls games had. you used to be able to make custom spells with all kind of effects, then you could enchant any items with your custom spells. premade spells just aren't the same, drat you Todd Howard :argh:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Borderlands 2 was great fun, I enjoyed the loot collecting shooter aspect and loved the art style, its was goofy in the right places and I'm excited for the VR version

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

CrRoMa posted:

Borderlands 2 was great fun, I enjoyed the loot collecting shooter aspect and loved the art style, its was goofy in the right places and I'm excited for the VR version

I can’t read Borderlands 2 without thinking of Anthony Burch and his whole open marriage saga lol

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Unpopular Opinion: Games are better when you can complete them in under like 8-10 hours.

Am I crazy or did people used to call anything over 10 hours a long game? I feel like only RPG games regularly hit the 20-hour mark. Now anything under 30 hours is considered a waste of money by the internet.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

pooch516 posted:

Am I crazy or did people used to call anything over 10 hours a long game? I feel like only RPG games regularly hit the 20-hour mark. Now anything under 30 hours is considered a waste of money by the internet.

More hours has always been seen as a positive in games, including blasting games containing ”an extremely short campaign”.

bad games do get criticized for being overly long and boring, but obviously if something is bad, you don’t want more of it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I can’t read Borderlands 2 without thinking of Anthony Burch and his whole open marriage saga lol

Apparently he was a joss whedon style sex creep all along too

He now works at Riot

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that was all but spelled out in the "open marriage" bit.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

bad games do get criticized for being overly long and boring, but obviously if something is bad, you don’t want more of it

"The food was bad and there wasn't enough of it!" The demand for long games can be explained by looking at the NEET thread.

Another game that I never heard anything about but was decent is Space Marine! I bought it at a best buy that was closing, knowing nothing about it whatsoever, because it was basically no money (on top of some sweet home entertainment gear :smug: ). It's NOT a classic, but it's a lot of fun. You're on an alien planet killing orcs that all charge you shouting "SPAAAAACE MAAARIIIINE!" and that's basically the whole game.

Any other good games that can be completed in 4-6 hours?

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Steam sucks!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Telebite posted:

Steam sucks!

It’s not 2013 anymore, this is the popularest opinion on these mighty forums

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's easy to forget that just a few years ago if you wanted to play a game without going outside you'd have to forward ports on your router, download the game at 12k/s from demonoid, wait an hour while the rars unzip, wait another hour for the iso to unrar, and then cross your loving fingers that the 49th rar isn't corrupt and and the crack works and daemon tools can emulate the copy protection. Then your dad would get a DMCA letter threatening to sue you for $10k and you'd get grounded from using the PC anyway. Steam is a lot better

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

poverty goat posted:

It's easy to forget that just a few years ago if you wanted to play a game without going outside you'd have to forward ports on your router, download the game at 12k/s from demonoid, wait an hour while the rars unzip, wait another hour for the iso to unrar, and then cross your loving fingers that the 49th rar isn't corrupt and and the crack works and daemon tools can emulate the copy protection. Then your dad would get a DMCA letter threatening to sue you for $10k and you'd get grounded from using the PC anyway. Steam is a lot better

but nooo im a retard babby pirate "who wants to play pc games but doesn't have a broadband connection" which is totally a real demographic

like complain about drm for the privacy, i can get broadband on my cellphone in loving mexico in this day and age.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pooch516 posted:

Yeah 8-12 hours used to be the a pretty normal length for a game.You pretty much have to look to smaller devs for shorter, more focused games anymore since you can't charge 60 bux for them. The push towards extremely long games really just happened in the last 5 or 6 years and really ramped up in the last couple of years. AAA game promising less than 50 hours are almost extinct unless they have an anticipated multiplayer component.

I'd much rather play a variety of short games than just sit there killing time in the same game for months. Like, I love Red Dead but I almost resent that it's taken up a full month of my life and counting. I could have played like 6 shorter games in that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ChazTurbo posted:

The worst is gathering materials to build things that you have to maintain so then you gotta go gather more poo poo to build/maintain stuff.

I'm curious what games you have in mind here. Because outside of like, EVE Online's moon mines or some poo poo, maintenance and upkeep is always a complete joke in almost every video game.