Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

ImpAtom posted:

This seriously reads like a goddamn parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Does he know the difference between wint and Jack Nicholson?

Also, what is a testicle barnacle and when is it something you wouldn't reject?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fun fact about barnacles: They have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

The mantra of the freelancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuLr9HG2ASs

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 30, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I'm sure the comics he writes are just lovely.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It just occurred to me that's not a parody.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That guy's so mad about people calling him on his poo poo, and it's really weird because (and correct me if I'm wrong) all he had to do was say "Chapterhouse is accepting open submissions for new creators, send us a sample and if you're what we're looking for we'll hire you" and that would be fine but instead he had to try to turn it into some sort of contest with the "grand prize" of not even being paid until people shamed him into it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kai Tave posted:

That guy's so mad about people calling him on his poo poo, and it's really weird because (and correct me if I'm wrong) all he had to do was say "Chapterhouse is accepting open submissions for new creators, send us a sample and if you're what we're looking for we'll hire you" and that would be fine but instead he had to try to turn it into some sort of contest with the "grand prize" of not even being paid until people shamed him into it.

Yeah. All they're saying is "take what you'd pay your lowest-tier writer, add a nickel (ie double it) and we're happy."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Renfamous' Twitter account got a strike because she told a CG chud to 'choke on a dick' so from high atop her perch at her new Twitter account she still fights the good fight.

https://twitter.com/RenfamousX/status/1069634911462703104

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I believe she was also recently doxxed and had some gg creep tweeting about hanging around businesses and restaurants near her home.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I believe she was also recently doxxed and had some gg creep tweeting about hanging around businesses and restaurants near her home.

Oh, they had and probably still are having an extended fest of taking photos of her and her husband and putting Ethan and Dickie and assorted CGers' faces on the bodies.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/patrickzircher/status/1070526554206334978?s=21

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/ColleenDoran/status/1071082978615250945

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay I couldn't help but laugh

https://twitter.com/ColleenDoran/status/1071114755694194689?s=19
https://twitter.com/ColleenDoran/status/1071115215389900800?s=19

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Lmao That's comicsgate in a nutshell.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My recent favorite:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Shocked that ethan didn't immediately disappear from cgates collective memory after he disavowed and ran away

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

Dawgstar posted:

My recent favorite:

LMAO

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

lol Just think of all the great and memorable characters EVS has created, such as..............

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
EVS is more of a Moe than a KirLee.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I wonder at what point EVS will achieve a critical mass where he's more known and remembered for showing his rear end on Twitter over his political stances than he is for his X-Men or Green Lantern runs.

I think he's coming perilously close to being there, if he isn't there already.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

My recent favorite:

I note that he didn't combine "Stan" and "Jack" the other way because what kind of name is "Jan" for a comics book person.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I wonder at what point EVS will achieve a critical mass where he's more known and remembered for showing his rear end on Twitter over his political stances than he is for his X-Men or Green Lantern runs.

I think he's been there for years. His New X-Men stuff was, I believe, over 15 years ago at this point. It looks like otherwise his last semi-regular work at Marvel was in 2002. He was working on Green Lantern and Green Lantern-adjacent titles up through this year but that franchise isn't the juggernaut it briefly was when Geoff Johns was really giving it his all. His other DC stuff in the past couple years seems to be sporadic fill-ins and one-shots.

I mean really it's not like he left much of a reputation to trash. If he wasn't a colossal cretin I don't think anybody would be thinking about him anymore period.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

um excuse me it was somebody who showed their rear end TO uncle ethan. :colbert:

CG will still talk about the indignity of that by the way. You're not surprised.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

fritz posted:

I note that he didn't combine "Stan" and "Jack" the other way because what kind of name is "Jan" for a comics book person.

lol, no one tell those dorks about Sal Buscema

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

(btw for my money our pal Sal made some of the greatest and most influential comics and it's criminal how he never got his critical due, but you want to talk about panel-to-panel storytelling :discourse: Sal's up there with the giants)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I don't follow Big Two but there's plenty of creator's whose work for them is good enough to be noticed outside of fanboy circles. Literally never heard of him outside of being a piece of poo poo so it's already happened.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

EVS is a legit great artist, but he’s not distinctive at all, just good at the DC house style. Like when Allred or Burnham are drawing a book you know it right away, with EVS it could be one of dozens of competent but easily replaced artists

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

mallratcal posted:

lol Just think of all the great and memorable characters EVS has created, such as..............

It brings me no joy to report that EVS co-created Jessica Cruz.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Space Fish posted:

I'm not sure what's stranger, that he's never trumpeted that as 'look CG is not racist twaddle' or that the lower-ranking hyenas of CG have never thrown that in his face so they can take the spot of apex chud.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Space Fish posted:

As much as my waifu Jessica Cruz is awesome, it does make a lot of sense when you consider that she is from Texas and is big into hunting and has a lot of those habits that really just line up with some conservative writing her.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
pretty sure EVS never wrote her

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

EVS is a legit great artist, but he’s not distinctive at all, just good at the DC house style. Like when Allred or Burnham are drawing a book you know it right away, with EVS it could be one of dozens of competent but easily replaced artists

..So he's not really great at all then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

pretty sure EVS never wrote her

He probably never wrote a script featuring her, but if he was the main artist for any period of time he probably collaborated with Johns on the plotting for the book. Plus even just working off a script an artist has a lot of influence. John Byrne drawing one panel of asparagus people fundamentally altered the storyline for X-Men comics for years.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm also a little confused by the whole "Ethan Van Sciver co-created Jessica Cruz" because as best as I can tell, the name was first mentioned in Green Lantern (2011) #20 which is a big anniversary issue with like a dozen artists.

Then she actually appears on panel as Power Ring in Johns's JL run in an arc drawn by Doug Mahnke. She's in the remainder of the run, which is drawn by many people, none of them Ethan Van Sciver.

She becomes a Green Lantern at the end of JL #50 in a scene drawn by Jason Fabok. I guess she appears in the Green Lantern Rebirth one-shot which is partially drawn by EVS, but then she stops appearing in any books he draws.

I mean, there are obviously layers of credits for everything. Jamie McKelvie deserves (and receives) credit for creating the modern/movie design for Carol Danvers despite not having ever drawn any interior pages of a Captain Marvel book to my memory. There are plenty of examples of someone (be it an artist, writer, editor, etc.) being a sounding board or contributor to a beloved story/character even though they didn't literally put pen to paper to create the finished product. And obviously artists who work on books deserve a lot of collaborative/creative credit.

But like best-case scenario here, it seems like EVS is saying he can't be racist because he designed a costume for a character. I am not following modern GL books, but does she have a really awesome kickass costume that has revitalized interest in her and the Green Lantern mythos or something?

In short: there are probably a lot of things (Dex Starr, I think) that EVS can take credit for truthfully, but he wasn't even working on the books that introduced/developed Jessica Cruz as a character. And a cursory google suggests that Jason Fabok designed the costume, and that THIS was EVS's pitch.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 9, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's not taking credit. Someone in this thread incorrectly attributed him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Endless Mike posted:

He's not taking credit. Someone in this thread incorrectly attributed him.
No, he takes credit. Back when he was still repping ComicsGate and harassing me (and a ton of other people, maybe he's still harassing them) he said in a DM:

quote:

I dont care about that poo poo. At all. I created Jessica Cruz and the first Muslim XMan.

He's said it elsewhere too:

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/810988208276303872
https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/910935555097137156

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EVS co-created Dust? I'd forgotten. Of course I'm 99% certain he didn't exactly brainstorm that with Morrison.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, did anyone join comicgate and not ruin their entire comic career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

So, did anyone join comicgate and not ruin their entire comic career?

No, but several amateurs have joined and preemptively ruined their comic career!