Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grouchio posted:

What I predict that's what'll happen. Prudes.

grouchio there are times where you may want to choose your words when posting on the somethingawful.com adtrw subforum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Stairmaster posted:

I have grouchio blocked and I'm on mobile what's he do

i'm going to blow your mind and let you know he said something dumb

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wow!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

grouchio there are times where you may want to choose your words when posting on the somethingawful.com adtrw subforum
Okay yes fine I'll remove it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
And creepy!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I dont have context but it must be not good when i can get away with posting borderline nsfw pages from a fetish manga

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

this ghost just seems friendly

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

can you really buy rosaries at donki

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can't believe catholics have taken over the japanese convenience store industry

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i like that chapter but the comic seems hornier than the pixiv version in a way i dont enjoy

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/redapple310/status/1070287664220299264

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the first chapter is the older comics redone but then instead of doing the kit kat story with the great payoff its about a dumb molester ghost

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
oh, is that the one where she sees ghosts and gives the cat to the punk-looking guy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

oh, is that the one where she sees ghosts and gives the cat to the punk-looking guy

yah yah, its serialized now

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/title/31792/mieruko-chan

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

University graduate Mu Siyun sent his resume to the star fleet on a whim and somehow became the Fleet Admiral! Ths is the story about an admiral with a harem of 3000 female soldiers conquering the universe.

thats not how admiralships work....

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The its my life guy loves two things:

shirtless hunks and metal references

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/title/31888/killing-me-killing-you

its neat, a bit messier than its my life though

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Sharkopath posted:

i like that chapter but the comic seems hornier than the pixiv version in a way i dont enjoy

:agreed: it's frustrating cause the central gag is a fun one imo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1071192665008484352

Yoko Kanno better be doing the music, that's all I'm sayin'

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So, uh, why is there an ecchi magical girl spinoff series of Nisekoi done by the mangaka of We Never Learn?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
well, it's the other way around. the mangaka sharpened their skills on the manga where the nisekoi characters' clothes explode and then took what they learned and used it to start their own harem comedy

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
New Bride's Story chapter! Gosh, everyone is sparkling this week
https://mangadex.org/chapter/497546/1

caaaaaats

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But what did grouchio predict? Sister victory or worse?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Space Flower posted:

well, it's the other way around. the mangaka sharpened their skills on the manga where the nisekoi characters' clothes explode and then took what they learned and used it to start their own harem comedy

Yeah, I knew it was that way around. I was just wondering about the circumstances that made the Nisekoi spin-off possible in the first place.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, I knew it was that way around. I was just wondering about the circumstances that made the Nisekoi spin-off possible in the first place.
I remember reading that, while the anime's 1st season was okay-to-good as far as DVD/BD sales go, it helped garner interest in the manga, which sold super well. Probably why the Magical Girl spinoff happened.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

oh come on now

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kyuu-chan is facing an enormous amount of discrimination now and I do not like it.

Also cool strong girlfriend knows what she wants.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 9, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How the devil do you say no to a girlfriend so powerful she pulls a two-handed kabedon on you?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

oh man i hadn't seen this one

https://twitter.com/sattou0/status/911914287588769792

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Can I talk about older shows here if Im someone that just kind of drifts in and out of anime and want to vent? Well Im going to anyway!

I just finished watching Re:Zero (it was recommended since I love Konosuba) and I think this is the first time Ive watched a show where I dislike the protagonist pretty much the whole way through. Maybe the anime misses stuff the novels and comics covered? I dont know, even the "redeemed" Subaru is a prideful cocky jerk that is a detriment to everyone around him. I would have stopped watching but the supporting cast and world around them was actually really good and I think that is just making my opinion of the show worse.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Can I talk about older shows here if Im someone that just kind of drifts in and out of anime and want to vent? Well Im going to anyway!
Oh please. Two years does not make an 'older show'. Ten years would make an 'older show'.

Furnaceface posted:

I just finished watching Re:Zero (it was recommended since I love Konosuba) and I think this is the first time Ive watched a show where I dislike the protagonist pretty much the whole way through. Maybe the anime misses stuff the novels and comics covered? I dont know, even the "redeemed" Subaru is a prideful cocky jerk that is a detriment to everyone around him. I would have stopped watching but the supporting cast and world around them was actually really good and I think that is just making my opinion of the show worse.
The thing is you're supposed to hate Subaru because he's a deconstruction heel of Kirito and other Isekai protagonists, so when you watch him slowly improve into a more likeable character post-episode 18 you'll feel that his victories are earned. It's like playing Dark Souls.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Grouchio posted:

The thing is you're supposed to hate Subaru because he's a deconstruction heel of Kirito and other Isekai protagonists, so when you watch him slowly improve into a more likeable character post-episode 18 you'll feel that his victories are earned. It's like playing Dark Souls.

Yeah, its so important to the show that Subaru is an entitled sleeze bag after his first set of accomplishments while discovering his powers. He doesn't treat the people in the world like real people with their own autonomy, but as npc's as that he can attempted 'dialogue choices' with to get the outcome he feels he deserves. People catch on to his attitude and affects his reputation (actual consequences!). I thought it was amazing when he gets called out by people he grows attached to but thinks of as flat npcs, fucks up hard, and finally hits rock bottom. I thought it's a very interesting arc compared to so many other shows, and one of the reasons why I enjoyed it. It's incredibly satisfying to see a character fail after being so sure of themselves! Subaru is generally likable enough and the stakes are much higher than his feelings so it's still an interesting story to follow, despite him being a prick.

E: For clarity because I write sentences very poorly.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 9, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Oh please. Two years does not make an 'older show'. Ten years would make an 'older show'.
Given how quick seasonal anime come and go by, I think it's kosher to consider a show that finished airing 2 years and almost 3 months ago as "older".

And yeah, it's fine: You can talk about/discuss older shows here. Has the Re:Zero thread hit archives already?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Given how quick seasonal anime come and go by, I think it's kosher to consider a show that finished airing 2 years and almost 3 months ago as "older".

And yeah, it's fine: You can talk about/discuss older shows here. Has the Re:Zero thread hit archives already?
If it has, then I suppose it should be revived when Season 2 is announced. That or the OVAs get subbed.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Im told anime seasons move fast so I assumed 2 years was ancient. :v:

Episodes 17 and 18 (I think those are the ones with Rem?) were so drat good. But it still felt like he was slowly going back to his old habits after that. :(

Toalpaz posted:

Yeah, its so important to the show that Subaru actually starts off as an entitled sleeze bag after his first set of accomplishments and discovering his powers. Because he doesn't treat the peeps in the world like real people with their own autonomy but npc's as he tries other 'choices' to get the outcome he feels he deserves, and because of that attitude other people catch on and it affects his reputation. I thought it was amazing when he gets called out, fucks up hard, and finally hits rock bottom. I thought it's a very interesting arc compared to so many other shows, and one of the reasons why I enjoyed it.

I kinda feel like he still treats it like a game and maybe thats the thing that bugs me. Also I dont hate the show. On the contrary I actually loved it, but Subaru was just so abrasive for so much of it that it really soured me at times.

Maybe that was the whole point though and Im just overthinking it.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah the third chapter was uh, hmm.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

There's nothing wrong with disliking the bland protagonists that inhabit 95% of that genre. At least after watching Re;Zero you have a better understanding of Kazuma and why he is portrayed as a "prideful cocky jerk that is a detriment to everyone around him". I feel like Kazuma is the closest I've seen to being an actual representation of a shut-in useless NEET getting transported to another world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

Im told anime seasons move fast so I assumed 2 years was ancient. :v:

Episodes 17 and 18 (I think those are the ones with Rem?) were so drat good. But it still felt like he was slowly going back to his old habits after that. :(

I kinda feel like he still treats it like a game and maybe thats the thing that bugs me. Also I dont hate the show. On the contrary I actually loved it, but Subaru was just so abrasive for so much of it that it really soured me at times.

Maybe that was the whole point though and Im just overthinking it.

Captain Cappy posted:

There's nothing wrong with disliking the bland protagonists that inhabit 95% of that genre. At least after watching Re;Zero you have a better understanding of Kazuma and why he is portrayed as a "prideful cocky jerk that is a detriment to everyone around him". I feel like Kazuma is the closest I've seen to being an actual representation of a shut-in useless NEET getting transported to another world.
:emptyquote:

One thing that I'll never get tired of is Kazuma dealing with people getting all up in his grill in a way that reminds me of how a friend used to poo poo-talk about her boss and co-workers when we went out for lunch and, for example, I like how Touma (from Index) and Kojou (from Strike the Blood) have these catch-phrases relating to how they want people to cut them some slack, but when they say it you kinda want to go "Oh, shut up already", but when Kazuma gets exasperated with people, it's like "I get you, buddy".