Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

coconono posted:

MSG probably threatened to tear down the McMahon statue if WWE hosed with the NJPW/ROH booking.

I hope Yano finally lives up to his nickname and steals that thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

coconono posted:

MSG probably threatened to tear down the McMahon statue if WWE hosed with the NJPW/ROH booking.
the what

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lol yeah is that actually a thing

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Aesop Poprock posted:

lol yeah is that actually a thing

There's a statue to either Jess or Vince Sr that stands at the original MSG site. The UFC shows it everytime there's a show at MSG.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
make the vince and rocky statues kiss

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Wrestling (more specifically, WWE) is dying because a WOMAN is the (proverbial) face of the company. Thanks for that hot scoop, WrestleForum!!!

quote:

There is a hierarchy in wrestling because it works and heavyweights belongs in the main-event with smaller guys sometimes at the top as a special attraction.

Becky Lynch as the face of the company is the certainty that WWE no longer have any worldwide appeal and will never be on the level of the Attitude Era.
You need someone who, if you show their picture to someone who never watched wrestling, he would at least be interested in more of it and women, cruiserweights or tag teams are not on that list of persons

They can stay in the midcard, she can be a hot act as a co-Main-Event but never as THE Main-Event

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 9, 2018

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
But Becky is The Man? :confused:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

You need someone who, if you show their picture to someone who never watched wrestling, he would at least be interested in more of it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DarkstarIV posted:

Wrestling (more specifically, WWE) is dying because a WOMAN is the (proverbial) face of the company. Thanks for that hot scoop, WrestleForum!!!

Hmm, yes, tag teams don't draw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Hmm, yes, tag teams don't draw

Nope, tag teams haven't gotten anyone into wrestling, nope, never

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If something isn't exactly like the previous thing there's no hope of success. That's why every year the top grossing films are Birth of a Nation and a film of a steam train coming right at the screen.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
"Has wrestling been damaged by liberal/victim society?"

quote:

I have been thinking about this a lot in recent years. Has the new age of society that gets offended over every little thing impacted wrestling. I understand WWE has gone more PG so they cant cuss but still..

I feel like wrestling doesn't have any great heels any more because of this shift in society. I also feel like it is a small minority that is trying to be the majority. All heels now are only getting booed because people are going through the motions. In fact you start seeing heels getting cheered now.

Right now I can think of so many angles/ gimmicks that could be used (not just in WWE) that would make people hate the bad guys. Unfortunately, people would get too offended. Which is strange as in wrestling the heels are meant to offend you. YOU ARE MEANT TO HATE THEM!!

An example is Kevin Hart having to step down in the Oscars and apologize over comments from EIGHT YEARS AGO?!? The guy is a comedian!! He is meant to take the piss out of groups/people/countries etc. If you cant laugh at yourself you must not be fun at parties.

I feel this society has watered down the idea of a heel which impacts how we view wrestling. I wouldn't be surprised if heels cant rip signs up anymore just in case they offend the fan..

The only true heel that has done a good job in recent years IMO is Jimmy Havok. His promos with Progress Wrestling where he is holding a knife over a person is pretty intense. But you are sold on what kind of person he is.

What do you guys think?

Of course there are some gems as replies:

quote:

The whole world has been damaged by the pussification of our youth. You have to walk on eggshells to avoid offending the snowflakes. You can't take risks anymore when you're putting out a televised product because all it takes is one off-color remark and you've got yourself a category 5 shitstorm. That's a big reason why WWE has become so "safe" and uninspired. You have to try to please everybody and in doing so you end up pleasing nobody.

quote:

All I have to say is look at the comments on WWE's Facebook page

That will tell you the state of a large portion of their fanbase. Mothers and Fathers of children go on gigantic, incomplete, ignorant, grammatically void rants about the WWE doing something that pissed them off. They think it's real. And these are people that are raising children. Just think what the kids are going to turn out like

We're all hosed. Give it 20 years and this entire society will be totally unlivable

quote:

Imagine bringing back the ECW days in the 90s. Imagine the promos The Dudley Boyz used to do but today. It would be on CNN news lol. That was how to get people to hate you!

quote:

An SJW heel would be gold but WWE is way too afraid of negative publicity they won't do it. They cater to the left.

:psyduck: is the only reaction I can muster.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I can't get over the disconnect between "SJWs are the reason we can't have good heels" and "Jimmy Havoc in PROGRESS is the only good heel". They don't exactly keep their politics hidden.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm amazed at the idea that WWE caters for the left

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I mean it's more "left" than ever if by "left" you mean "there's no bra and panty matches and nobody is using homophobic or ableist slurs in promos on a nightly basis"

That's usually what they mean.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
WWE does have one of the more left-leaning audiences, but that’s because wrestling is more popular with Hispanic people.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Evergreen

https://twitter.com/jonny_is_good/status/573500353888546816

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

DarkstarIV posted:

"Has wrestling been damaged by liberal/victim society?"

Of course there are some gems as replies:

:psyduck: is the only reaction I can muster.

Reminder that the 'taking the piss' Kevin was doing was just straight up calling people he didn't like faggots and homos on Twitter and saying that he would murder his son if he came out as gay.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Kevin Hart hasn't been funny in years

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Dangerous Person posted:

Kevin Hart hasn't been funny in years

About eight, apparently.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean I have to say I kinda sorta agree on the Kevin Hart thing if only because it reminds me of the James Gunn thing which I think is kinda bullshit. I will admit I haven't dug deep into Mr. Hart's comments so I don't know how gross they are but many comedians are some degree of edgelord while on the job and with someone like a comedian I lean heavily on "is it an ongoing tenet of their bit" and "how recently did they do so" when judging how thoroughly they should be dragged for it.

Don't blame people for being mad though, and the wrestling analogy is dumb as poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I mean I have to say I kinda sorta agree on the Kevin Hart thing if only because it reminds me of the James Gunn thing which I think is kinda bullshit. I will admit I haven't dug deep into Mr. Hart's comments so I don't know how gross they are but many comedians are some degree of edgelord while on the job and with someone like a comedian I lean heavily on "is it an ongoing tenet of their bit" and "how recently did they do so" when judging how thoroughly they should be dragged for it.

Don't blame people for being mad though, and the wrestling analogy is dumb as poo poo.

Nah, Hart's stuff is different. Gunn was obviously writing some crummy edgelord jokes. Hart was just writing hateful stuff and saying he'd assault his son if he played with dolls because it'd make him gay.

The difference between him and Gunn is that Gunn's comments were self-depricating. They were edgelord jokes but they were all about him implying that he was a pedophile, making himself look bad. Hart's "jokes" are just him saying hateful stuff about gay people. Punching down is never going to be funny or useful, its just hate.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nah, Hart's stuff is different. Gunn was obviously writing some crummy edgelord jokes. Hart was just writing hateful stuff and saying he'd assault his son if he played with dolls because it'd make him gay.

The difference between him and Gunn is that Gunn's comments were self-depricating. They were edgelord jokes but they were all about him implying that he was a pedophile, making himself look bad. Hart's "jokes" are just him saying hateful stuff about gay people. Punching down is never going to be funny or useful, its just hate.

gently caress. Didn't realize it was that bad. I thought it might have been more generic sort of gay panic type stuff (and self deprecating, like you said), not full on gay bashing his own son. Yiiikes.

I will cop to loving the Kevin Hart bits I've seen about rappers and also how hilarious it was when Shaq fell over in basketball games. :shobon: Why couldn't he stick to stuff like that? It's especially odd because from what I have seen, a lot of his stand up IS him making fun of himself. That's why I kinda assumed.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 10, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If he wants to be forgiven for violently homophobic jokes he just needs to be hit by a truck like tracy morgan

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's also the fact that James Gunn acknowledged, admitted, and apologized for those tweets years ago. And then again when he was fired by Disney. Kevin Hart, while he's acknowledged his own tweets, never apologized until basically forced to step down as the host of the Oscars. And even then, it was after he spent a few hours making shirtless Instagram videos where he bemoaned PC culture and the death of comedy.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There's also the fact that James Gunn acknowledged, admitted, and apologized for those tweets years ago. And then again when he was fired by Disney. Kevin Hart, while he's acknowledged his own tweets, never apologized until basically forced to step down as the host of the Oscars. And even then, it was after he spent a few hours making shirtless Instagram videos where he bemoaned PC culture and the death of comedy.

I also wasn't aware of Hart's reactions since then beyond the generic apology but I'm not surprised. Okay, the things aren't alike at all! I do think there's a space to discuss the nuances of offensive comedy but this is NOT one those instances at all. drat, Kevin Hart. This shouldn't be that hard.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Are Kevin Hart and Bret Hart related?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I also wasn't aware of Hart's reactions since then beyond the generic apology but I'm not surprised. Okay, the things aren't alike at all! I do think there's a space to discuss the nuances of offensive comedy but this is NOT one those instances at all. drat, Kevin Hart. This shouldn't be that hard.

Oh totally. There is 100% a place for offensive comedy and the success of things like "It's Always Sunny", "Broad City" and other stuff proves it. But if any comedian ever bemoans "comedy is dead now" it just means they're old and got bad at their job.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

oldpainless posted:

Nah, Kevin won't pee by the side of the road with another dude.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oldpainless posted:

both are tiny and base a lot of their gimmicks off that

so maybe

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Who is the true problem child of WWE booking? You would think Vince, but the fine sleuths at WrestleForum have figured out the true culprit!!!

quote:

I think the real reason WWE is so safe, so corny and so PG is because of Mattel, they are the ones responsible for this lovely booking and product. Yes this PC world is also to blame but because of Mattel there are no intergender matches or blading. Many things have been banned because they, as a toy company dont want to be associated with any bad press. Are they that vital to WWE that they had to chance their entire product for Mattel?

Yes, its totally Mattel's fault that WWE booking is so bad. :psyduck:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

TinTower posted:

WWE does have one of the more left-leaning audiences, but that’s because wrestling is more popular with Hispanic people.

Mick Foley's old line about how WWE fans are the biggest group of donors to the largest anti-sexual violence nonprofit in the USA rings true here

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DarkstarIV posted:

Who is the true problem child of WWE booking? You would think Vince, but the fine sleuths at WrestleForum have figured out the true culprit!!!

Yes, its totally Mattel's fault that WWE booking is so bad. :psyduck:

Blaming Mattel for the booking is ridiculous, but they certainly are the reason there are no intergender matches.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

#thankyoumattel

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Blaming Mattel for the booking is ridiculous, but they certainly are the reason there are no intergender matches.

intergender matches won't cover up the fact that the build to a match is happenstance at best and when they really want a match that people are excited about they usually kill that excitement by doing the match multiple times for increasingly less interesting stakes.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Also nuclear bad take time: The vast majority of intergender matches were utter loving poo poo anyways. Look at Lucha Underground. With the exception of Pentagon Dark vs Black Lotus Triad, the majority of their intergender matches were utter loving garbage.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i want to see alicia fox beat up travis browne

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DarkstarIV posted:

Also nuclear bad take time: The vast majority of intergender matches were utter loving poo poo anyways. Look at Lucha Underground. With the exception of Pentagon Dark vs Black Lotus Triad, the majority of their intergender matches were utter loving garbage.

Chikara did a whole bunch before Beyond launched Kimber Lee into a turnbuckle and they were fine. Nothing really amazing either. LuFisto regularly kicked the poo poo out of men. Those were pretty awesome. Same with Mickie Knuckles before she turned into a pain pill weirdo or whatever the hell is wrong with her. ONe the guy's side, Chris Dickinson has been a huge boon for intergender wrestling. Same with Sexxy Eddie.

Nowadays, you see a lot of garbage intergender matches because promoters know they can get away with doing a poo poo match and no one will complain it being a poo poo match because people will defend it because its an intergender match. Like any good match, a good intergender match plays to both sides strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. Both sides can't do their favorite moves if they end up looking contrived or forced.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

Chikara did a whole bunch before Beyond launched Kimber Lee into a turnbuckle and they were fine. Nothing really amazing either. LuFisto regularly kicked the poo poo out of men. Those were pretty awesome. Same with Mickie Knuckles before she turned into a pain pill weirdo or whatever the hell is wrong with her. ONe the guy's side, Chris Dickinson has been a huge boon for intergender wrestling. Same with Sexxy Eddie.

Nowadays, you see a lot of garbage intergender matches because promoters know they can get away with doing a poo poo match and no one will complain it being a poo poo match because people will defend it because its an intergender match. Like any good match, a good intergender match plays to both sides strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. Both sides can't do their favorite moves if they end up looking contrived or forced.

Yeah, this post petty much covers it. Lots of good indies have done good intergender matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

if there are people who are really into intergender wrestling who aren't gigantic loving creeps, I'm not aware of them