Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

[huge swaths of the middle east get infested by jihadist groups and open air slave markets, each US intervention and invasion spawning a more twisted evil than the last]

but what about russian interference and those dastardly shia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Iran, Venezuela, and North Korea all share equal culpability in destabilizing the Middle East, and should be treated as such

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

russia, iran, the US - all of these are equally responsible for the instability caused by the constant invasions from the west killing millions of people and reducing entire states to smoking piles of rubble

I too have never heard of the iran-iraq war, or, indeed, the Syrian civil war. as we all well know, the US is the only imperial power in the world, and we must ignore any evidence to the contrary, no matter how obvious

THS
Sep 15, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I too have never heard of the iran-iraq war, or, indeed, the Syrian civil war. as we all well know, the US is the only imperial power in the world, and we must ignore any evidence to the contrary, no matter how obvious

you might want to look into the iraq-iran war and our relationship with saddam hussein a little more carefully before bringing that up buddy

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Algund Eenboom posted:

Iran, Venezuela, and North Korea all share equal culpability in destabilizing the Middle East, and should be treated as such

Ah yes, venezuela and north korea, two countries I totally mentioned in my post

THS posted:

[huge swaths of the middle east get infested by jihadist groups and open air slave markets, each US intervention and invasion spawning a more twisted evil than the last]

but what about russian interference and those dastardly shia

[literally in the middle of a discussion about some guy covering a conflict where Russia and Iran openly and explicitly support one of the sides militarily]

but what about US interventions

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the sheer scale of what the US has done to the middle east compared to any other outside competitors is so loving weighted to extreme american mass murders and aggressive invasions that putting them in the same orbit as iran or russia is psychotic

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

you might want to look into the iraq-iran war and our relationship with saddam hussein a little more carefully before bringing that up buddy

you win, I guess the US bears sole responsibility for the actions of noted US proxy *checks notes* saddam hussein

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

thankfully the us isn't involved in Syria

*cia agents tiptoe in the background with arms full of weaponry*

THS
Sep 15, 2017

you win, I guess the US bears sole responsibility for the actions of noted US proxy *checks notes* saddam hussein

incredible

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A useful statistic would be the number of casualties caused by US weaponry in the mideast, and the number of casualties caused by Russian/Soviet weaponry.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

THS posted:

the sheer scale of what the US has done to the middle east compared to any other outside competitors is so loving weighted to extreme american mass murders and aggressive invasions that putting them in the same orbit as iran or russia is psychotic

Jose posted:

i think he's israeli so of course he loves imperialism

THS
Sep 15, 2017

like is the billions of aid, intelligence, and spec ops training we gave to iraq in the 80s an actual blindspot to liberal interventionists? do they not know we encouraged and fueled the iraq-iran war to the point of arming both sides by the end? like im floored anyone could be this smug about their foreign policy opinions and not know any of that

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

Yes, the US interventions in the middle east are monstrous and massively gently caress up the lives of millions. I don't see what that has to to do with our discussion on the trustworthiness bellingcat's reporting in the Syrian Civil War, though.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

like is the billions of aid, intelligence, and spec ops training we gave to iraq in the 80s an actual blindspot to liberal interventionists? do they not know we encouraged and fueled the iraq-iran war to the point of arming both sides by the end? like im floored anyone could be this smug about their foreign policy opinions and not know any of that

I am neither a liberal nor an interventionist, ffs. I am merely pointing the massive disingenuous crap posters here spout about western reporting on the middle east and the blinders they have when it comes to where these talking points are coming from.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Yes, the US interventions in the middle east are monstrous and massively gently caress up the lives of millions. I don't see what that has to to do with our discussion on the trustworthiness bellingcat's reporting in the Syrian Civil War, though.

that’s because you want to separate every historical event in the recent history of the middle east into little hermetically sealed boxes because bringing it into any kind of narrative context brings your views into such clear relief and then can be seen as insanely bad

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Jose posted:

i think he's israeli so of course he loves imperialism

the sheer nerve of this coming from a brit, I swear

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the sheer nerve of this coming from a brit, I swear

i'm not currently defending it

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

that’s because you want to separate every historical event in the recent history of the middle east into little hermetically sealed boxes because bringing it into any kind of narrative context brings your views into such clear relief and then can be seen as insanely bad

What? What views? That BM's reporting seems more solid than some other stuff posted ITT? How are they brought into such clear relief by the role of US imperialism in the middle east before any of these reporting outlets even existed?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it’s disingenuous to imply that organizations who get paid by oil companies have some kind of ideological axe to grind when they try to minimize the effects of climate change

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Jose posted:

i'm not currently defending it

Well neither am I, you bellend

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Well neither am I, you bellend

you literally just tried to assert a false equivalence between russian, iranian, and saudi intervention compared to the US you loving goober

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

That cooperation was from before that guy became an isis recruiter. But I see why would think otherwise, given that the poo poo framing comes from this article itself written by Mark "“Russian women, especially on the first date, expect you to rape them,” said Mr. Ames. “They’ll go back home with you and say, ‘No, no, no,’ and if you’re an American, you’ve been trained to respect the ‘No,’ because you’re afraid of sexual harassment or date rape, and so you fail over and over. But it took me a while to learn you really have to force Russian girls, and that’s what they want, it’s like a mock rape.'" Ames, a truly stand up guy you want to take your info from.

he is. Ames is great.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

it’s disingenuous to imply that organizations who get paid by oil companies have some kind of ideological axe to grind when they try to minimize the effects of climate change

This is what infuriates me, that this posting comes from the people regularly posting reporting from Al-Jazzera, RT and more recently, partisangirl and Mark Ames completely uncritically. Yet when its in-depth well-researched stuff from an allegedly western aligned outlet, we suddenly need to be very careful and consider who holds the purse strings

AFancyQuestionMark has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Dec 9, 2018

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

you literally just tried to assert a false equivalence between russian, iranian, and saudi intervention compared to the US you loving goober

These countries are engaged in armed conflicts with tens of thousands of civilaian casualties right now, which is what matters when we're discussing reporting on current conflicts, you silly goose

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
bellingcat isn't cia. it just coincidentally happens to focus the vast majority of its attention and criticism on current enemies of the united states and asks important questions like "can we possibly know who did this?" when water infrastructure gets bombed in yemen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mila kunis posted:

bellingcat isn't cia. it just coincidentally happens to focus the vast majority of its attention and criticism on current enemies of the united states and asks important questions like "can we possibly know who did this?" when water infrastructure gets bombed in yemen.

did it accuse yemen of bombing itself i have a vague memory of this but i can't be remembering correctly

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Jose posted:

did it accuse yemen of bombing itself i have a vague memory of this but i can't be remembering correctly

I posted a link to their Yemen coverage in this very conversation. Here it is again, if you're too lazy.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

This is what infuriates me, that this posting comes from the people regularly posting reporting from Al-Jazzera, RT and more recently, partisangirl and Mark Ames completely uncritically. Yet when its in-depth well-researched stuff from an allegedly western aligned outlet, we suddenly need to be very careful and consider who holds the purse strings

*checking off liberal bingo*

alright can you round this off with your opinion on glenn greenwald?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

do NOT bring up in the thread that syria’s neighbor had been destroyed and we spawned a violent sunni insurgency that got taken over by salafist fanatics who want to murder every kurd and shia in the region. good thing all the ISIS fighters stayed in iraq tho and our allies in saudi arabia only gave arms to moderate rebels. guess i can go back into my coma and consider the syrian war in a vacuum now

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

mila kunis posted:

*checking off liberal bingo*

alright can you round this off with your opinion on glenn greenwald?

I don't know. Haven't been keeping up with his reporting at all since the Snowden stuff, but I heard he is anti-Bolsnaro while living in Brazil so he can't be too bad . I gather he's the guy with the most "anti-imperialist" cred these days?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
anti-imperialist in air quotes

bingo! ty

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

do NOT bring up in the thread that syria’s neighbor had been destroyed and we spawned a violent sunni insurgency that got taken over by salafist fanatics who want to murder every kurd and shia in the region. good thing all the ISIS fighters stayed in iraq tho and our allies in saudi arabia only gave arms to moderate rebels. guess i can go back into my coma and consider the syrian war in a vacuum now

What does this have to do with our original conversation about BM, bellingcat and their trustworthiness?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

mila kunis posted:

anti-imperialist in air quotes

bingo! ty

A true anti-imperialist won't blindly repost Russian imperialist propaganda.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

A true anti-imperialist won't blindly repost Russian imperialist propaganda.

are you saying that mark ames, someone who got booted out of russia and his paper shut down by putin, is a russian propagandist?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

mila kunis posted:

are you saying that mark ames, someone who got booted out of russia and his paper shut down by putin, is a russian propagandist?

idk, he is just an obviously disingenuous shithead, like with the article about the isis recruiter posted here recently

THS
Sep 15, 2017

What does this have to do with our original conversation about BM, bellingcat and their trustworthiness?

you’re right, it’s less about brown moses and more about how big a piece of poo poo you are now. guess the topic of discussion is shifting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bringing back a classic

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

you’re right, it’s less about brown moses and more about how big a piece of poo poo you are now. guess the topic of discussion is shifting

Okay, so I am a piece of poo poo for pointing out that Iran and Russia are more involved in the Syrian Civil War than the US at the moment?

thank you for this valuable insight into my character, guy who accuses others of child exploitation and cooperating with isis while knowing full well your words are twisted bullshit

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Okay, so I am a piece of poo poo for pointing out that Iran and Russia are more involved in the Syrian Civil War than the US at the moment?

thank you for this valuable insight into my character, guy who accuses others of child exploitation and cooperating with isis while knowing full well your words are twisted bullshit

the us occupies a huge portion of syrian land and has bases all over the place lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

mila kunis posted:

the us occupies a huge portion of syrian land and has bases all over the place lol

Just to get this straight, you're saying the US is more involved with Syria than Iran and Russia atm?