Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Battlfield is all about realistically portraying historical events, furthermore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-wFI9vTqto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They’re kind of fussy, yeah. It also won’t let you call one in if there’s another in the air.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Battlefield is not historical accurate series, yet it's really dumb to have an entire campaign about how a group of soldiers were erased and denied existence from history by their colonial masters, and then depict the British has the only people in the Allied faction fighting in battles they barely participated or were not present at all.

French voice clips and uniforms exist in the game assets, so I don't get it why the Allied faction is locked to British colours. (I mean I know why, they are going to be a separate faction to sell more skins.)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why don't people give Wolfenstein poo poo for having robots and stuff. It also happened in world war 2

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Why don't people give Wolfenstein poo poo for having robots and stuff. It also happened in world war 2

Battlefield V is not a science fiction game loosely based on World War 2 iconography. It actually goes the opposite, and many of it's developers have talked about the historical value of their title.

Battlefield 1 didn't have the British fighting in Trieste, or the Germans in the Suez, so for that game there was room for Historicity and funny gameplay gifs, but the same care or thought was not given to BFV.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Great comparison because, like bf v, wolfenstein presents its campaign as historical and in an informative manner, specifically designed to highlight lesser known contributions to the war. It’s not like media has ever contributed to historical misconceptions, like Russia as winning purely through the blunt force of hordes of untrained, poorly equipped infantry against the technologically and tactically superior Germans, per Enemy at the Gates and the original Call of Duty.

It’s not unreasonable to raise concerns about presenting French colonial troops as being literally edited out of photos and prevented from marching through Paris (which they were, but by the US not the French). I’d say it’s a disservice to them by misrepresenting what they actually experienced. I’d say it’s worth discussion and not nitpicking (like complaining about the proper paint job for a Sherman in fall 1944).

Well that was a lot to type up about a single player campaign that I will probably never play. Dice makes poo poo campaigns. I guess I’d give it a shot if they cover something like the Philippine Scouts, 442nd RCT, or 761st Bn, when they start releasing US content. Then again it’ll include the same lame stealth mission and other recycled FPS mainstays dice always goes for. I’m just here for the wild multiplayer

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You know, I really like bfv but I've been trying to enjoy it in small doses. When bf1 came out, it was like the only game I played for nearly a month straight and I racked up nearly 100 hours before the year was over. I'm probably at 25 now for bfv.

I'm trying to partially limit myself because we still have a lot more content to go and it's getting tiring playing some of these maps over and over already.

The way I see it is that bf:V is not a game you just buy and marathon until you clear it or get tired of it (like you can in rdr2 or God of War or some other game) its an investment for a game to play and follow along as it gets expanded.

I really want to see their take on the battle Royale formula. It'll be cool doing squad drops.

Anyways just wanted to say that.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I tried to play this again. This time the mode where one team defend and the other attack.

Is better, but still not my thing. Will wait until they add vehicles, because playing infantry make me angry. People don't revive, and have no strategy mindset whatsoever. Maybe is because is console?, maybe on PC people know what to do, but infantry on console is a clown hour all the time.

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 9, 2018

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

You know, I really like bfv but I've been trying to enjoy it in small doses. When bf1 came out, it was like the only game I played for nearly a month straight and I racked up nearly 100 hours before the year was over. I'm probably at 25 now for bfv.

I'm trying to partially limit myself because we still have a lot more content to go and it's getting tiring playing some of these maps over and over already.

The way I see it is that bf:V is not a game you just buy and marathon until you clear it or get tired of it (like you can in rdr2 or God of War or some other game) its an investment for a game to play and follow along as it gets expanded.

I really want to see their take on the battle Royale formula. It'll be cool doing squad drops.

Anyways just wanted to say that.

I think this says more about the quality rather than the quantity of content available for BFV, cause of right now it has the exact same amount of maps and more modes as BF1 had in it's release.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Tei posted:

I tried to play this again. This time the mode where one team defend and the other attack.

Is better, but still not my thing. Will wait until they add vehicles, because playing infantry make me angry. People don't revive, and have no strategy mindset whatsoever. Maybe is because is console?, maybe on PC people know what to do, but infantry on PC is a clown hour all the time.

You've just described ever battlefield game ever

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Electronico6 posted:

I think this says more about the quality rather than the quantity of content available for BFV, cause of right now it has the exact same amount of maps and more modes as BF1 had in it's release.

Yeah you know you're probably right. I'm just really disappointed that the battle Royale won't be ready for.. What, another four months?

I think the gameplay is just basically bf1 but better. But the downside of that is the fatigue from my 200+ hours of bf 1 carries over to bfv. So I get worn down quicker.

The good thing is all content drops should be free so no splitting of the player bases.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I understand it's in the zeitgeist (also too late bandwagoneers lol) but a one player battle royale mode will disable/obviate half of the gameplay features lmao

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Battle Royal is going to be squads exclusively

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

A Typical Goon posted:

Battle Royal is going to be squads exclusively

Oh cool then, this I didn't realize. Way 2 go DICE

it's still embarrassing that squads are back to four people.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

And having one of each class in a squad would make more sense.

Medics for the quick revives and health resupply, support for cover and ammo, assault for... (are they gonna put in vehicles?) combat and explosives and recon will be for long range pickup. The flare will be extremely useful in a mode like this.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MoukoKHZ posted:

I'm conflicted about buying this game. On one hand, I enjoyed the beta and there's the BF veteran discount, but one the other, I disagree with DICE's revisionist take on the war stories. This was why I asked if the game had a codex; to have an entry detailing what actually happened in these events upon completion would, while not good enough for the button police, appease those with at least a passing interest in World War 2.

Yeah it's kind of dumb, but tbh I don't really care because for me Battlefield is all about the multiplayer.

Like I played the story stuff in BF1 and in Battlefront 2. No revisionism there, mostly just stupid bullshit for conventional reasons! (Ok maybe a little in BF1, I don't really know that history as much, don't correct me either way, that's not what this is about). I haven't even played the war stories in this and I don't know if I ever will. Because, historically authentic or not, they will probably be bad and boring anyway. Honestly, they could completely remove single player content from these games and it wouldn't affect my value judgement of the games at all.

My hot take: saying "not sure I want to buy it because of revisionism" is just as dumb as "man I really hope this game does well otherwise the MAGAs win!!!" There is no reason to color your game buying that way. Do you think you will enjoy playing the game? If so, then buy it. Do you not think you will enjoy playing the game? Then don't buy it. It's a video game, not a political referendum. I bought it and I'm happy with it because I enjoy the multiplayer a lot, and I ignore the stupid war stories.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 9, 2018

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
The flare gun will only be useful if it gets buffed. The spotting range on that thing is only a few metres. And that's if you use it properly. At least the spotting scope and spawn beacon are useful.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah it's kind of dumb, but tbh I don't really care because for me Battlefield is all about the multiplayer.

Like I played the story stuff in BF1 and in Battlefront 2. No revisionism there, mostly just stupid bullshit for conventional reasons! (Ok maybe a little in BF1, I don't really know that history as much, don't correct me either way, that's not what this is about). I haven't even played the war stories in this and I don't know if I ever will. Because, historically authentic or not, they will probably be bad and boring anyway. Honestly, they could completely remove single player content from these games and it wouldn't affect my value judgement of the games at all.

My hot take: saying "not sure I want to buy it because of revisionism" is just as dumb as "man I really hope this game does well otherwise the MAGAs win!!!" There is no reason to color your game buying that way. Do you think you will enjoy playing the game? If so, then buy it. Do you not think you will enjoy playing the game? Then don't buy it. It's a video game, not a political referendum. I bought it and I'm happy with it because I enjoy the multiplayer a lot, and I ignore the stupid war stories.

Not sure what is worse, the snowflakes who are upset by a woman on the cover, or the snowflakes legitimately thinking they are enough of a vocal minority that the game's sales were impacted by their silly little soapbox stand, and not because of legitimate Battlefield franchise fatigue (the very same thing that is affecting other major series such as Halo and Call of Duty)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Not sure what is worse, the snowflakes who are upset by a woman on the cover, or the snowflakes legitimately thinking they are enough of a vocal minority that the game's sales were impacted by their silly little soapbox stand, and not because of legitimate Battlefield franchise fatigue (the very same thing that is affecting other major series such as Halo and Call of Duty)

If you pay extra for the Deluxe Edition you get a man on the cover lol.

Even in video game covers women get less pay for the same job!!!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

You sure post a lot about a game you hate

I’m a Knicks fan so I guess it comes with the territory.

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD
Honestly you wont notice someone's character is a women unless you hear them speak/scream (which lasts forever) or you're staring intensely into their eyes during revives.

And the only good SP missions are the prologue and the last tiger. I wish they would just expand on the prologue scenarios and make those full missions.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

call it revisionism if it's done by some authority in education/history

it's a dang ol' video game and it should be treated as such

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It is a serious treaty on historical events!!!!!!!!

*gets called human being by 11 year old child in game*

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hitler's greatest strategic blunder was getting bogged down medic-chaining in the factory instead of pushing to cap D at Stalingrad

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the axis powers had too many recons that didn't PTFO

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Personally I think the idea of a female medic charging into the field to shoot some Nazi chud and revive their teammate really badass.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we got continuously owned by the power of the BEF slouch hats yesterday

who says Hugo Boss had a lock on military style??

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

SON I AM A TIER 1 FASHIONISTA

YOU WILL SALUTE ME

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Zzulu posted:

It is a serious treaty on historical events!!!!!!!!

*gets called human being by 11 year old child in game*

I mean if you weren’t getting called a human being EIN FAGGETEN by the hitler youth while you stormed the beaches of Normandy were you even there?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just bought this on Ps4. What are the steps to make goon friends?

I’m down to play tonight once this installs

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 9, 2018

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Yo I can actually use fighters in this poo poo :stare: I'm always used to getting immediately annihilated by sky spergs in BF4, plus the attack planes handled pretty much the same as the fighters, but now there's bombers that are way slower and handle worse, plus they're bigger targets that are easier to hit.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Grump posted:

Just bought this on Ps4. What are the steps to make goon friends?

I’m down to play tonight once this installs

Hit up gunshow_poophole and I'll get you connected

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Hit up gunshow_poophole and I'll get you connected

Request sent

Got like 25 more mins of installing

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

oh i guess I should put my PSN handle here:

AlAqsaRevo

add we'll have a grand ol time shooting mans :)

e: and put something goony in the message so I'll know it's not some rando

yellowcar fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 10, 2018

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I'm kaiser2090 if you see me playing in BUTT send me an invite I'll come play

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Tei posted:

Is better, but still not my thing. Will wait until they add vehicles, because playing infantry make me angry. People don't revive, and have no strategy mindset whatsoever. Maybe is because is console?, maybe on PC people know what to do, but infantry on console is a clown hour all the time.

Go play Panzerstorm on conquest. You're playing Breakthrough which is more infantry focused. All the vehicles you want to play with are in Conquest, that's just the way it is. I'm starting to think you've never played a Battlefield game because you're complaining about things that are just pretty much par for the course for any BF game.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 9, 2018

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

I'm kaiser2090 if you see me playing in BUTT send me an invite I'll come play

added you

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

My usename is ghost_throw. I just added a few people.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
OK I'm back on board the tank train, as long as I can play commander and just scream instructions in german while pointing with my field glasses

tank MGs are crazy powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

OK I'm back on board the tank train, as long as I can play commander and just scream instructions in german while pointing with my field glasses

tank MGs are crazy powerful

It was nice to see you pop into our party tonight poophole. Hope you enjoyed your shooting of mans.