Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

smackfu posted:

Is there a prepaid LTE iPad plan that would get us out the door for much less than the $13.24 a month we pay now on ATT? Don’t use much data at all, but it’s handy to have it sometimes.

TMobile has something like a 5GB/$30 over 5 months special offer, but it’s “limited time only” so it might go away if it becomes too popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Has anyone noticed a problem with Notability where if you have iCloud sync enabled, files will drop out of local storage basically every time you launch the app meaning you can't access your notes if you're off wifi? I can't see any toggle that lets me force a "keep local version at all times" kind of thing.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Did Apple stop selling smart keyboard for 9.7 ipad pro?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, they always stop selling accessories for models they no longer make/sell (unless it's something that works with a current model).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Housh posted:

Did Apple stop selling smart keyboard for 9.7 ipad pro?

You can get it on eBay or another store pretty easily.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is the apple pencil Amazon is selling first or second generation?
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0C2A...ds=apple+pencil

It seems like it may be the first?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Megasabin posted:

Is the apple pencil Amazon is selling first or second generation?
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0C2A...ds=apple+pencil

It seems like it may be the first?

That's the first. 2nd gen doesn't have the metal band.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Now that the new Pros have been in people’s hands for a while: What do you think? Is there any worthwhile development from the earlier models? They look nice but the biggest hurdle is iOS, which whether you like it or not, is pretty limited.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 3, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I love my 11” pro but unless you’re running a really old iPad I don’t think it’d be worth upgrading.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Got an 11” pro— my first iPad since the Mini 2. Great device, but the multitasking in iOS still feels too limited for it to be my main computer. Everything on it is crazy fast and I love the keyboard folio, but it just feels like the software needs to take another big leap forward for pro/power usage. Simple things like using multiple apps (even just watching media + answering emails) isn’t easy enough, file management, etc is just too much effort over just using my iMac.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I got my 12.9” last week and I’ve actually been really happy with it. I was able to steam a football game yesterday in the corner with two other apps open and felt plenty productive.

My biggest ask is full screen external monitor support for Citrix but other than that it’s been really nice.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Xabi posted:

Now that the new Pros have been in people’s hands for a while: What do you think? Is there any worthwhile development from the earlier models? They look nice but the biggest hurdle is iOS, which whether you like it or not, is pretty limited.

Gesture navigation is super awkward.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

That’s weird, it’s one of the things I picked up on right away. Using gestures doesn’t even really register as something “new” to me anymore.

I’m not saying your take is invalid, but it’s not something I expected people have an issue with.

I love the hardware and the new Pencil is loving awesome. I just wish iOS in general wouldn’t chain the device down so much.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Calaveron posted:

same, but opposite

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm just not a big fan of the gestures for home, bringing up the drawer and bringing up the app switching screen being essentially the same

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Calaveron posted:

I'm just not a big fan of the gestures for home, bringing up the drawer and bringing up the app switching screen being essentially the same

I'm somewhat used to that since I've had Nova Launcher doing the same for me for quite a while on my Android device, but I'll be honest in that it's probably my least favorite gesture "thing" because you actually need to pay attention to how long you make the gesture. Something like the 4 finger swipe in iOS to switch apps is great since I can just do it without having to pay attention to how far I swiped.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the latest iPads for $269/$349 32gb/128gb right now

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Xabi posted:

Unless you are willing to pay a premium for a slightly bigger, and nicer, screen it probably isn't worth it. It's fast for sure but I agree with the others, IOS/apps really aren't in a state to take advantage of it.

The non-Pros can be had for ever cheaper prices and the Gen 6 is a seriously nice tablet in its own right, and seems a better fit for what you can actually do with one.

Or drawing, I suppose. Gen 6 supports the older pencil but the new one is tits. If you make webcomics or whatever like that dude from Penny Arcade who used to be in love with the Surface and now falls all over the Pro, then that's another reason. Outside of corner cases though there's really nothing the Pro does "better" day to day then the Gen 6.

My brother in law, who works at Apple, has the 11 and the 12.6 Pro so I've had plenty of time with them both. I bought the Gen 6.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

As much as I adore my 11”, I agree completely. I don’t regret buying it in the slightest but I do find it hard to recommend. It’s weird.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I was all set to buy the new Pro, but found a deal on 10.5 and got that instead. I don’t do design, coding, really anything but internet, email, some video, so it was fine. I think I would take the 10.5 over the 6th gen regular iPad for the screen and refresh rate personally, so then it’s whether the new Pros are worth the premium over the older ones.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Digital Jesus posted:

As much as I adore my 11”, I agree completely. I don’t regret buying it in the slightest but I do find it hard to recommend. It’s weird.

:same:

It’s a nice incremental upgrade but unless you’re rocking a really old iPad it’s not really worth it.

Duckman2008 posted:

I was all set to buy the new Pro, but found a deal on 10.5 and got that instead. I don’t do design, coding, really anything but internet, email, some video, so it was fine. I think I would take the 10.5 over the 6th gen regular iPad for the screen and refresh rate personally, so then it’s whether the new Pros are worth the premium over the older ones.

Since they’ve added all of the non-home button gestures into iOS for older iPads I don’t think it would be worth the premium honestly. If I could do it over again I’d have just gotten a 10.5 pro.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hi I have every iPad ever made. The new Pro would be an awesome update for someone who had an iPad Air, but not a huge update for someone who had an Air 2 or more recent.

That said, if you're a sucker for smaller bezels, well then your question is already answered.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My son left his 5th gen (2017) iPad in a backpack with a game controller and it broke the screen pretty bad. I slapped a tempered glass protector on it for now so he doesn't cut his fingers but I'm going to want to have this screen replaced at some point. Looking at iFixit it looks like a real bitch to do yourself with many ways to gently caress it up so thinking I may outsource this repair. Does anyone have a ballpark on what I can expect for a local place to do it? Apple wants $249 to replace it, which is what I paid for the damned thing so looking at third-party. Any input on people's experience with this?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Those who don't draw, do you use your Pencils often? I am wondering what I will be using it for, and if its worth getting. Anybody not have the pencil?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

nervana posted:

Those who don't draw, do you use your Pencils often? I am wondering what I will be using it for, and if its worth getting. Anybody not have the pencil?

Plan review using Bluebeam, annotating/signing PDFs on PDF Expert, and note taking using OneNote

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

nervana posted:

I use my (gen1) pencil every day on my regular iPad. It's for marking up pdfs, sketching out powerpoints, drawing placeholder figures I know I'll need, etc. I don't do anything "creative" with it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Can anyone recommend a case for the new iPad 9.7”? I just need it to be easily removable because half the time my iPad is on a stand that I use for my indoor bike. The iPad won’t fit in the stand with a case on it, hence the need for it to be easily removable.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

nwin posted:

Can anyone recommend a case for the new iPad 9.7”? I just need it to be easily removable because half the time my iPad is on a stand that I use for my indoor bike. The iPad won’t fit in the stand with a case on it, hence the need for it to be easily removable.

How much case do you need? BestSkinEver (matte is worth the upcharge) plus an official official Smart Cover feels really nice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I use my (gen1) pencil every day on my regular iPad. It's for marking up pdfs, sketching out powerpoints, drawing placeholder figures I know I'll need, etc. I don't do anything "creative" with it.

I use it for the same. I do a lot of annotation and marking of PDFs and it’s brilliant for that. I also still like to take handwritten notes, so I do that and tag the gently caress out of my notes and auto-upload them to Evernote.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nervana posted:

Notes, MyScript Calculator, and Adobe Comp for mockups are all apps I use the pencil in. Basically anytime I would be dragging with my finger for prolonged periods it's way nicer to use the pencil.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

nwin posted:

I have a MoKo slim case for the Gen. 6. It is cheap, and nice.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ixian posted:

I have a MoKo slim case for the Gen. 6. It is cheap, and nice.

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Case-Ap...+case+ipad+2018

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Case-iPad-2018-2017/dp/B06XSWKH4K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1544379612&sr=8-7&keywords=moko+slim+case+ipad+2018

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Case-Fi...+case+ipad+2018

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Compati...+case+ipad+2018

One of these?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

TraderStav posted:

My son left his 5th gen (2017) iPad in a backpack with a game controller and it broke the screen pretty bad. I slapped a tempered glass protector on it for now so he doesn't cut his fingers but I'm going to want to have this screen replaced at some point. Looking at iFixit it looks like a real bitch to do yourself with many ways to gently caress it up so thinking I may outsource this repair. Does anyone have a ballpark on what I can expect for a local place to do it? Apple wants $249 to replace it, which is what I paid for the damned thing so looking at third-party. Any input on people's experience with this?

Honestly, your best bet is to sell it for parts and buy another one, new or used.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Third link is the one I have, yes. $12 and it fits well, is light, cover magnet works well...pretty much perfect. Couldn't say if it will hold up to years of abuse but for $12 who cares.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

There have been recent sales where you could get a new 6th gen (32gb) for that price. I imagine you could find a used 5th gen for less than it would cost even 3rd parties to fix it, when the hassle is factored in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I somehow lost my Apple keyboard cover and decided to grab the Logitech Slim cover for my 2nd gen 12.9. It’s not terribly slim, but it does have the advantage of being able to remove the keyboard part and keep the plastic rear shell with kickstand.

It’s nice. The keyboard is good and it’s got a backlight, the lack of which always pissed me off about the Apple keyboard. Also there’s a loop for the Pencil. Best yet since it’s a prior generation it’s a little cheaper than usual.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

I somehow lost my Apple keyboard cover and decided to grab the Logitech Slim cover for my 2nd gen 12.9. It’s not terribly slim, but it does have the advantage of being able to remove the keyboard part and keep the plastic rear shell with kickstand.

It’s nice. The keyboard is good and it’s got a backlight, the lack of which always pissed me off about the Apple keyboard. Also there’s a loop for the Pencil. Best yet since it’s a prior generation it’s a little cheaper than usual.

Yeah, that was my default case for 2nd gen Pro 12.9 (which is now my dad’s). I’m really hoping Logitech can release something as thin as the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio for the current Pro. I really miss the backlit keys and the extra row of keys.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I heard about one of the logitech keyboards having issues with the keys rubbing against the screen or something, is that a problem in this one? Since it looks like they're plastic rather than the fabric coating on the apple one.

Also is it pretty durable? I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes the feel of the apple smart keyboard but the smart connector (I think) on mine's started playing up, and I've only had it for about a year now, so I'd like to replace it with something that I don't need to replace annually.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My Logi Create for the 9.7 Pro broke after a year, but I was taking the iPad in and out of its case more often than I should have, which put stress on one of the clips. I’m hoping the fact I can disconnect the keyboard means I won’t be compelled to do that on this case. Maybe the removable keyboard is what they mean by ‘slim’ compared to their Create line.

It’s built a bit different than most keyboard cases (would post pictures but on mobile). Since there’s a kickstand the front flap doesn’t need to elaborately fold up in three parts. But that means the keyboard keys touch the screen. I don’t think it matters (plastic on Gorilla Glass) and because it’s not soft fabric it shouldn’t collect any particles that could scratch the surface.

The kickstand is great. It can be used in landscape or portrait and seems sturdy. I used it for the first time with a FaceTime call tonight and it worked perfectly.

I’ll be taking a Python class and I’m hoping to use the Python app for the iPad instead of using a laptop, which is why I needed to get a keyboard. We’ll see how well it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

My Logi Create for the 9.7 Pro broke after a year, but I was taking the iPad in and out of its case more often than I should have, which put stress on one of the clips. I’m hoping the fact I can disconnect the keyboard means I won’t be compelled to do that on this case. Maybe the removable keyboard is what they mean by ‘slim’ compared to their Create line.

It’s built a bit different than most keyboard cases (would post pictures but on mobile). Since there’s a kickstand the front flap doesn’t need to elaborately fold up in three parts. But that means the keyboard keys touch the screen. I don’t think it matters (plastic on Gorilla Glass) and because it’s not soft fabric it shouldn’t collect any particles that could scratch the surface.

The kickstand is great. It can be used in landscape or portrait and seems sturdy. I used it for the first time with a FaceTime call tonight and it worked perfectly.

I’ll be taking a Python class and I’m hoping to use the Python app for the iPad instead of using a laptop, which is why I needed to get a keyboard. We’ll see how well it works.

I just got Pythonista a couple days ago myself. My only big complaint is I want more screen real estate. Even PyCharm on my 15” feels super cramped sometimes.