Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

StormDrain posted:

Costco has the Quickjack 5000slx on sale for $999, shipping included, on their website.

I want to like the QuickJack, but there is something that just doesn't sit right with with them to me. Like this:

quote:

Is the quickjack safe?
If you compare the number of people killed or injured annually using floor jacks or jack stands to other car lifting solutions, it's evident that the QuickJack provides increased safety when installed and operated properly.

Their hate for Ezlift is another thing, regardless of it's good or not. Odd aggressive marketing that to me make the thing come across as lovely "As seen on tv" product, even if I know it's a good product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My Wera Tool-Check Plus came, look at the size of this ratchet:

Already used it while taking the fairings off of my bike, definitely worth picking up.

Forgot to mention that the plastic wheel at the top is a thumb wheel, it's pretty cool.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Already used it while taking the fairings off of my bike, definitely worth picking up.

Forgot to mention that the plastic wheel at the top is a thumb wheel, it's pretty cool.

I dig mine too. I got an SAE one on Black Friday and I’ve used it for a number of things around the house and at my cleaning gig.

I think they really are a neat tool. I get a bunch of bits, a nice set of sockets, and fairly useful drivers for them in a neat little kit. It's easy enough to throw in my backpack for work, grab from the backpack or wherever to fix the random thing around the house, or have with me anywhere really.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 7, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MomJeans420 posted:

Christ, I've had cock-piercings that were bigger than that.

Does it really work? Any advantage to a simple screwdriver? I can't get my head round that actually working, it seems so diddy.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It does help for tight spots, although a small screwdriver would probably work too. I bought it because I was annoyed taking off my fairings, my bike uses these annoying plastic screw fasteners where you unscrew it then you can pop them out, but the manufacturer helpfully located one of the screws adjacent to a fork tube, so it's a pain in the rear end. Much easier with this thing. The ratchet also has a nice action, so while you wouldn't use it to break suspension bolts free, the 5mm hex bit and the #2 phillips are all I need to take off all the fairings.

It's not a necessity, but nice to have. You can definitely get enough torque for bodywork tight.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Koken makes a 1/2" drive close to that size.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

In aww at the size of this lad.

For shop lighting, what were the Costco LED bulbs/fixtures that're good? I just put a workbench in my garage and there's no light in that corner. Looking for one of those ~4ft fluorescent-looking fixtures but I don't remember which ones they were.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

boxen posted:

For shop lighting, what were the Costco LED bulbs/fixtures that're good? I just put a workbench in my garage and there's no light in that corner. Looking for one of those ~4ft fluorescent-looking fixtures but I don't remember which ones they were.

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4'-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-2-pack.product.100410429.html

I have 5 of these in my two car garage and I can almost see through the walls due to how bright it is. I didn’t buy the two packs, but that’s the model I’ve got.

Apparently theAwful App doesn’t like that link, but the ' is part of the link.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

El Jebus posted:

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4'-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-2-pack.product.100410429.html

I have 5 of these in my two car garage and I can almost see through the walls due to how bright it is. I didn’t buy the two packs, but that’s the model I’ve got.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^these are the ones you want

stock varies by location, and they sell these ones too :

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4-ft.-Linkable-LED-Utility-Motion-Sensor-Shop-Lights%2c-2-pack.product.100415188.html

and they look like terrible cheap poo poo

spog
Aug 7, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

It does help for tight spots, although a small screwdriver would probably work too. I bought it because I was annoyed taking off my fairings, my bike uses these annoying plastic screw fasteners where you unscrew it then you can pop them out, but the manufacturer helpfully located one of the screws adjacent to a fork tube, so it's a pain in the rear end. Much easier with this thing. The ratchet also has a nice action, so while you wouldn't use it to break suspension bolts free, the 5mm hex bit and the #2 phillips are all I need to take off all the fairings.

It's not a necessity, but nice to have. You can definitely get enough torque for bodywork tight.

Thanks for the review.

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's basically a chode.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

El Jebus posted:

Feit 4' Linkable LED Shop Light 2-pack

Fixed your link.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrOnBicycle posted:

Their hate for Ezlift is another thing, regardless of it's good or not. Odd aggressive marketing that to me make the thing come across as lovely "As seen on tv" product, even if I know it's a good product.

Haha holy poo poo that is quite the pivot isn't it?

As an owner for a 5000SLX I will vouch for it's quality, stability and usability. It is portable, but not as portable as they make it out to be, but does the job. I wish it had another 6-8 inches so I could drop the motor in my 911, but other than that I am sure it's high enough to do everything else comfortably on your back with a creeper.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I think in warehouse those lights are $34.99 but $10 off right now so... $2 savings online depending on your local tax situation.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

slidebite posted:

Haha holy poo poo that is quite the pivot isn't it?

As an owner for a 5000SLX I will vouch for it's quality, stability and usability. It is portable, but not as portable as they make it out to be, but does the job. I wish it had another 6-8 inches so I could drop the motor in my 911, but other than that I am sure it's high enough to do everything else comfortably on your back with a creeper.

Yeah I know it's a good product, I just think they come across as a bit unprofessional. Claiming by comparison that jack stands are dangerous is a bit far fetched. I do want one, but at $2500 (in Sweden) for the 5000SLX, I could get a proper lift.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Looking at getting a milwaukee cordless M12 ratchet.

3/8" and 1/4" are both the same price. If you were going to buy one, which would you choose?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

3/8" and 1/4" are both the same price. If you were going to buy one, which would you choose?

3/8th for sure.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

boxen posted:

Made my day thank you

quote:

Is the quickjack safe? 
If you compare the number of people killed or injured annually using floor jacks or jack stands to other car lifting solutions, it's evident that the QuickJack provides increased safety when installed and operated properly.

"Are we safe? I won't answer that but I will say the alternative is certain death."

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

spog posted:

3/8th for sure.

Yes absolutely 3/8 is what you want

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

wesleywillis posted:

If they are both the same size, 3/8 erryday. If the 1/4 happens to be half the size, I’d consider getting both.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have the 3/8 and it owns.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Searching ebay for this and I found Koken's 1/4" mini keychain ratchet, it's adorable

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Anyone got a suggestion for a magnetic spark plug socket that articulates.?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014ZVSVK?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
I got this one but the socket size seems ofly small

Subaru's suck

stgdz fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 8, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

3/8, and get the Fuel version.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

stgdz posted:

Subaru's suck

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80546-8-Inch-6-Inch-Swivel/dp/B0014ZVSVK

Koken makes a reaaaaally nice one if nothing else works.

http://www.kokenusa.com/products/product/150

IOwnCalculus posted:

3/8, and get the Fuel version.

The Fuel ratchets are enormous though, the 1/4" Fuel is closer in size to the brushed 3/8 one. It all depends on what you're working on and how much access you have.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

RE: lighting, I bought these for my garage and at $8 each they are fantastic: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CC994J1/

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

stgdz posted:

Subaru's suck

I used a normal socket with a bunch of small extensions so I could remove them as I threaded the plug out.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I use one of these

https://store.snapon.com/3-8-Drive-...et-P642284.aspx

well, a matco one but I can't find it in their catalog.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I guess this falls under tools? Anyone got any experience with/opinions on the CTEK battery chargers, more specifically the CTEK MXS 5.0. Seems to be well liked in review. I stupidly forgot to unplug my less than 2 year old battery while parking my other car. I'm Sweden based, so don't mind buying Swedish unless it's crap or there is better stuff for the money. Needs to be plugged in outside and left unsupervised, which I gather wouldn't be a problem with this. No too expensive neither. Rather pay a bit more and not burn the house/car down.

VVVV: Thanks. CTEK it is. I think I'll go for the Stop-start charger. Supports more batteries.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 9, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ctek is good stuff.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

jamal posted:

I use one of these

https://store.snapon.com/3-8-Drive-...et-P642284.aspx

well, a matco one but I can't find it in their catalog.
Pro-tip for buying things like this: Snap-On (and Matco, and ...) are generally not disposable type tools - so buying one used is almost always not a bad choice. Adding to this, a lot of people sell these (used) for 50% or less of retail on ebay. I'm guessing significantly because: "I need money and I can sell my tools to get it", which makes my heart hurt a little, but also, I just bought one of these for $33, so ...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If you had to heat a two car, high ceiling, non insulated or ventilated garage, how would you do it? I'm trying to rip the engine out of my Miata but it's proving difficult with hand tools at literal freezing temps and wearing a jacket.

Edit: typos

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 9, 2018

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Put in a woodstove? Or get a forced air propane heater. You can leave the propane heater outside and use some insulated hose to duct inside, through a doorway cracked open or the garage door open along the bottom. Or remove a window pane and replace with plywood + cutout for the heat inlet.

Insulating will really help though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do the propane heaters exhaust? Is it into the heating air? It looks like the cost to run fits my needs and there isn't too much hassle installing it. I just really don't want to be a dummy. Insulating the garage is in the future, but not this season. Just need a bandaid for now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Get a heated jacket or hoodie? All the cordless tool companies are selling them now

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Can we post workplace tools? Because I got this bad boy in at work with a preefeeder this week.
https://www.schleuniger.com/na/en-us/products/cut-strip/ecostrip-9380

Holy poo poo is it fast

https://youtu.be/4HY4J64t78c

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

um excuse me posted:

How do the propane heaters exhaust? Is it into the heating air? It looks like the cost to run fits my needs and there isn't too much hassle installing it. I just really don't want to be a dummy. Insulating the garage is in the future, but not this season. Just need a bandaid for now.

Yeah, propane heaters don't exhaust. The theory is they burn cleanly enough to be kinda safe (more CO2 than CO, anyway). I used to run a convection propane heater with a BTU rating greater than my house furnace in a 2x garage w/insulated walls and uninsulated but vented roof for long enough to bring the interior temp up to 50 F from 20 F while out of the space. Then switched over to what electric heaters I could power to maintainish the heat.

Seemed to work ok, but it seemed to work ok. Chill effects I think there work no. Trun off when dizzynesss. Eye out.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Oops, had to take a nap, and forgot a generic link: https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...48725564&ipos=2

Review: Cheap, heats up quickly but sucks up oxygen and propane. Open a door a bit or hire a discount canary.

Fake edit?: Some kind of down-draft ceiling fan helps too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just light a fire under the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tXAuFxGQk

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Regarding propane heaters - If you're gonna use one indoors, make sure it's rated for indoor use. FWIW, I was always taught kerosene heaters were safer for indoor use, but I can't swear to the truthfulness of the theory, as I was taught by idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I assume anything based on combustion requires the same oxygen my body does, and should not compete with it for such in an enclosed space.