Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Helium balloons should be banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Agreed.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

That's how most of us feel. Bill Burr jokingly talks about how we should do population control by sinking cruise ships since nobody will miss the people that die on those. I'm 100% for it.

:same:
Edit: Evacuate the servants first.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My unpopular opinion is I don't understand why people trust therapists. They are going to use what you say to them in some way no matter what their "oaths" say. There will either be unspoken blackmail and/or coercion in to keep coming in regardless of whether your problems are cured or not. Psychiatry is just a big insurance scam. It helps some people but the doctors only care about what they can bill, not whether they help anyone.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My unpopular opinion is I don't understand why people trust therapists.
This times infinity +1, good buddy. :smith::hf::smith:
Most charitably, the profit motive corrupts it.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Dec 10, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

That's how most of us feel. Bill Burr jokingly talks about how we should do population control by sinking cruise ships since nobody will miss the people that die on those. I'm 100% for it.

The single most infuriating and frustrating thing for me is that I just can’t understand why other people feel differently.

Helping other people, without any reward beyond the knowledge that I have improved their lives (I do some pro bono legal work) honestly doesn’t make me feel any better about myself, and honestly, that makes me feel like I’m somehow deficient. I don’t really derive any satisfaction from helping other people, because I don’t care about them.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Lotta sociopaths ITT.

I liked my army therapist, because their goal was "keep me alive," and also every time I said "gently caress the army" they were like "yeah!"

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^^^ Oh, dawg, I'd be SUPER paranoid at all hours of the day about getting blackbagged and/or discharged and/or blanket partied.

Helping people makes me feel better for a few minutes, and sometimes when I think back on it, until I remember that I don't have a future and wish I could be as happy about it as everyone else seems to be because that seems to be a prerequisite for being seen as a human worth interacting with.

Capitalism truly is marvelous.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Jokes on you, then. I wanted to die and had no qualms about being blanket partied, nothing to lose.

They were a civilian and were paid flat versus by visit, so it was low-risk and low-retainment, probably the best therapy I've ever had.

It never happened and I lived long enough to do this thing now, so :unsmith:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I want to die, but I want my death to be preceded by long-lasting physical torture even less than I want to be alive.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Queen Combat posted:

Lotta sociopaths ITT.

I’m not sociopathic. I know I’m not.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I’m not sociopathic. I know I’m not.
x'D Nice.

vvv Suicide hotlines aren't about making you not want to kill yourself, they know that dead people cannot spend money nor can they be coerced into providing labor to the capitalists.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Dec 10, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Queen Combat posted:

Lotta sociopaths ITT.

I liked my army therapist, because their goal was "keep me alive," and also every time I said "gently caress the army" they were like "yeah!"

If I were in the military and I went to a therapist associated in any way with the military, I would never be able to say something like that to them. I assume every company-sponsored therapy is just a way to weed out people who aren't loyal. And yeah trust issues like that are something that would ideally be worked out in therapy, but who do you go to when your company is funding the therapy and the doctors are in their pocket?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tubgoat posted:

x'D Nice.

I’m not really sure what you are insinuating, sorry.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh, the joke is that that's precisely what a sociopath would say, though I only meant it jokingly. If you've been providing pro-bono legal work to folks, you're likely good and the world needs more people like you to cancel out people with actual antisocial personality disorders such as CHUDs, capitalists and collaborators.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tubgoat posted:

Oh, the joke is that that's precisely what a sociopath would say, though I only meant it jokingly. If you've been providing pro-bono legal work to folks, you're likely good and the world needs more people like you to cancel out people with actual antisocial personality disorders such as CHUDs, capitalists and collaborators.

I would rather be paid for it, to be completely honest.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Well sure, who wouldn't? But that you even have is a great boon to vulnerable folks and your efforts are to be commended (assuming it was helping people avoid getting screwed and not helping people get screwed).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ultimately one’s motives count for very little. The fact that I do not do not do it out of the goodness of my heart does not matter, only the fact that I do it matters. By the same token, the fact that I do charity work has little bearing on my basically avaricious personality. One does not obviate bthe other.

Of course that’s something I have believed for years: it doesn’t matter why you do a thing; what matters is the thing you do.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I think both matter to varying degrees, and it's a sliding scale of how much. If someone does something out of genuine altruism that happens to backfire terribly, it's easy to say they shouldn't've tried if it was unknowable at the time if it would go bad. But if it was in fact a good faith effort to do a good deed, the intended beneficiaries ought to thank the person for their effort, if they're not too distraught from the unintended consequences.

Conversely, if someone does something with malicious intent that happens to instead yield beneficient results for the intended victim, the actor should not be lauded for their "charity" and could even be justifiably mocked for their failure to commit an act of cruelty, though you can bet that the beneficiary will be happy about it after the fact, assuming no other harm came of it.

In any case, it is very important to try to divine the consequences of both ill- and well-intentioned actions beforehand, or if you aren't that sort of philosophical engineer, to run it by someone else who enjoys critical/abstract thinking as a hobby.

CHUDs are against food stamps for everyone because they rightly assume people whom they hate would benefit, even though they themselves would benefit from it as well, and even benefit twice, as it would create economic activity which actually would create jobs which would allow more people to "get a job," and the benefits that come with that, such as a sense of purpose and belonging, which in turn foster a more cooperative and altruistic attitude.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The single most infuriating and frustrating thing for me is that I just can’t understand why other people feel differently.

Life produces a variety of responses to the prevailing conditions, including differences in personality. Some may have deep affect and empathy, some may have low affect and empathy, and some may be jelly fish. Some of these reactions will also be evolutionary dead-ends and others will go on.

If you don't get warm feelings from performing acts of altruism, that's not incomprehensible to me. Even to a selfish person, though, I would advise living in such a way as to minimize the suffering you need to cause on others, because We live in a society, so there are consequences to antisocial behavior.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ultimately one’s motives count for very little. The fact that I do not do not do it out of the goodness of my heart does not matter, only the fact that I do it matters. By the same token, the fact that I do charity work has little bearing on my basically avaricious personality. One does not obviate bthe other.

Of course that’s something I have believed for years: it doesn’t matter why you do a thing; what matters is the thing you do.

One thing motive may affect is plans and future actions. If you have the intention to do better and you make a mistake, you may spend effort to correct it. If you do not have the intention to do better, then you may let the mistake persist.

Queen Combat posted:

Lotta sociopaths ITT.

I don't think they're sociopaths. Folks look trapped in conditions of suspicion and unhappiness, which is a pitiful situation to be in.

Caufman has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Dec 10, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Caufman posted:

Folks look trapped in conditions of suspicion and unhappiness, which is a pitiful situation to be in.
Capitalism: Not even once.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We’re watching “What Would You Do?” and in amongst the usual “person is a horrible racist” and “person steals from blind man” and “person hurls abuse at fat/old/buff person” there’s one where a couple brings a screaming baby to a fancy restaurant at dinner and gets complained about and we’re supposed to sympathize and support the right to take babies to fancy expensive restaurants.

That seems... really dumb? It absolutely is rude to bring an infant to a place like that. Is this unpopular?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
On the one hand, gently caress rich people.

On the other hand, it's pretty loving rude to take your uncontrollably-shrieking crotchspawn to a place where people spend a lot of money to enjoy a peaceful meal. Some of those people may actually have earned the money they spent on that meal.

I'd probably tip the waiter in cash on the sly and then politely explain to the management why I'm leaving without paying and if they want, they can charge my meal to the couple with the horrible baby, but under no circumstances let them know that I've tipped the waiter.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Tubgoat posted:

crotchspawn

People who say this are more annoying and insufferable than a crying child and I would rather be in a restaurant with a baby than a person who talks like this.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Joke's on you 'cause I ain't got no money anyhow! Enjoy your shrieking!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In case I have another kid someday, how can I tell if a restaurant is too expensive for a crying baby? Is it like some number of days’ wages for the entree or something?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Frankly, if you can afford to go to a restaurant where any entree is multiple days' wages, you oughtta fill the place up with screaming babies.

PHUO: If your baby is screaming constantly, maybe try to find out why and solve their problem(s) such that they stop screaming?

I'm as anti-natalist as they come but once that fucker is outside of your body, it's a vulnerable person that needs to be cared for and comforted. If the producers of this TV show did something to induce the inconsolable screaming, they are worse monsters than those "pregnancy crisis centres" that trick naive, unprepared women into bringing to term pregnancies that they can't afford both financially and emotionally.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Dec 10, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s rude at all restaurants that aren’t Chili’s-tier. If it’s a Chili’s or some poo poo it’s rude but forgiveable. I feel like you folks are hung up on the expensive part and not the “it’s rude to bring babies to adult entertainment venues.” Like it sucks to lose that freedom but you have a kid now, sorry. It comes with the territory. It’s super dumb to put “people don’t like crying babies, what assholes!!” in the same show with the same level of seriousness as “people scream racial abuse at a latino child, what assholes!!”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tubgoat posted:

PHUO: If your baby is screaming constantly, maybe try to find out why and solve their problem(s) such that they stop screaming?
Sometimes they are crying because you punished them, or because they are meltdown down over something ridiculous like wanting to wear three pairs of shorts or because the car is the wrong colour.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Well, the most important thing is to make sure your child's wailing is bothering as many diners in the restaurant as possible, and under no circumstances should any attempt be made to alleviate the conditions leading to said wailing. :patriot:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would pay a premium, a decent sized premium, to make sure restaurants/flights/movies/etc did not have children in them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

1: There's no such thing as a good person who does bad things. Your intent matters but your motives don't. That is, if you do something bad by accident then you're much less bad than if you'd done it on purpose, but it was still bad to be careless. If you intentionally did something bad because you felt it was justified then you should be judged entirely by the consequences and not by your reasoning in getting there.

2: Bringing a baby or small child into a cinema or concert or lecture or anywhere people are trying to hear whatever's going on and then not immediately leaving is bad. You're actually making it difficult or impossible for others to do the thing you all came there to do. Most other places, though, are fine. Restaurants, shops, etc., no problem. And if you complain about babies on planes, trains, streets, etc. then you're definitely the arsehole. People with kids still need to go places.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Many theater chains literally have those. Here I think you pay $3 more, it’s an 18+ only separate entrance attached to the regular theater.

They serve alcohol and have a larger snack menu.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My unpopular opinion is I don't understand why people trust therapists. They are going to use what you say to them in some way no matter what their "oaths" say. There will either be unspoken blackmail and/or coercion in to keep coming in regardless of whether your problems are cured or not. Psychiatry is just a big insurance scam. It helps some people but the doctors only care about what they can bill, not whether they help anyone.

This is complete bullshit and reads like some nutbag, just on the cusp of anti-vaxxer level talk.

And you do realize you can find plenty of good and also free/volunteer therapy options right.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Dec 10, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiggum posted:

2: Bringing a baby or small child into a cinema or concert or lecture or anywhere people are trying to hear whatever's going on and then not immediately leaving is bad. You're actually making it difficult or impossible for others to do the thing you all came there to do. Most other places, though, are fine. Restaurants, shops, etc., no problem. And if you complain about babies on planes, trains, streets, etc. then you're definitely the arsehole. People with kids still need to go places.

Agreed, being pissed that there's kids somewhere is an rear end in a top hat move, but there are certain times when the expectations of there not being kids is acceptable. Hearing a kid screaming and crying during an R rated movie that starts at 10pm is one example. Bringing a kid to an "adults only wedding reception" is another. Bringing a toddler to a dive bar at 12am is probably the worst I've personally seen. It's loving weird and the people that expect there not to be kids there aren't the assholes.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Yardbomb posted:

This is complete bullshit and reads like some nutbag, just on the cusp of anti-vaxxer level talk.

And you do realize you can find plenty of good and also free/volunteer therapy options right.

:ssh: I think that's their schtick.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

Joke's on you 'cause I ain't got no money anyhow! Enjoy your shrieking!

by the gods, is that you, bluestar? you're the best poster on the forums!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

by the gods, is that you, bluestar? you're the best poster on the forums!

No? Thanks though! :tipshat:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would pay a premium, a decent sized premium, to make sure restaurants/flights/movies/etc did not have children in them.

SAME. I don't even care if it's a "fancy" restaurant, I don't want to hear your stupid kids banshee wailing in any venue, literally nobody does, if you can't keep your kids under control, get a relative or some nice person to babysit or go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

SAME. I don't even care if it's a "fancy" restaurant, I don't want to hear your stupid kids banshee wailing in any venue, literally nobody does, if you can't keep your kids under control, get a relative or some nice person to babysit or go away.

Judging by the outraged incredulity in this thread, A LOT of people want to hear people's stupid kids' banshee wailing in most venues. :stonkhat:
I understand much more than I want to, but I am incapable of understanding that.