Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DoctaFun posted:

Glenmorangie Quinta ruban: $53

This is the only one on your list I've had and it was okay but my Scotch preferences tend to be common, Oban 14, Laphroaig 10, Lagavulin 16. I just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10, hadn't had it in ages, then I saw there is now a cask strength version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wormil posted:

This is the only one on your list I've had and it was okay but my Scotch preferences tend to be common, Oban 14, Laphroaig 10, Lagavulin 16. I just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10, hadn't had it in ages, then I saw there is now a cask strength version.

laphroaig quarter cask is one of my favourites of their regular bottlings and was pretty reasonably priced the last time i saw it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Is there a bourbon thread, or is this it?

Someone was nice enough to give me a bottle of "Joseph Magnus straight Bourbon Whiskey", I don't know too much about it, but if it's really good I would rather gift it than keep it since I have a bunch of bourbon at home already. Anyone taste this before?

It's priced at the "fancy gift for people who don't know what they're buying" price point. You'll have to try it yourself to see if it's any good.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

saw a few bottles of weller special reserve for 49.99 over the weekend lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, one of the reasons I love rum is that there's a comparable degree of diversity and complexity, but without the marketing hype and conspicuous consumption that attaches itself to brandy and whiskey.

Only certain sorts of brandy. You can still get some really rear end-kicking Brandy de Jerez for pretty cheap.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
My local store is selling the "Heaven Hill's Distillery" gift set for $27 on clearance. Is that a deal worth picking up multiple boxes of?

https://sipwhiskey.com/product/heaven-hill-distillery-american-whiskey-tasting-experience/

edit: Did the math and you basically get around $22 worth of Whiskey. Fuuuuuck that.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 11, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Odd Mutant posted:

My local store is selling the "Heaven Hill's Distillery" gift set for $27 on clearance. Is that a deal worth picking up multiple boxes of?

https://sipwhiskey.com/product/heaven-hill-distillery-american-whiskey-tasting-experience/

edit: Did the math and you basically get around $22 worth of Whiskey. Fuuuuuck that.

Also no Mellow Corn, so a hard pass is in order.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

biglads posted:

Having been to a load of tastings and hosted a few what I like to do is have a couple of minutes chat about each distillery and particular whisky that is being tasted. Also mention some of the smells and flavours to look for when they are trying it, remembering of course that everyone has different tastes etc. Ask the punters what they find in the whisky and if there's anything they particularly like/don't like. I note stuff down on each whisky in the flight on a 3x5 card when tasting the week before. Also, make yourself available to talk to people on an individual level at the end of the session if they have any questions or are looking for recommendations. For some sets I've done printed handouts with info on the whiskies too.

Another really basic thing is to try all of the whiskies you are going to share and make sure that the tasting order is right. You probably don't need me to tell you that sticking a Lagavulin first means that following up with something lighter in flavour is a waste of time, always end with your peat-heavy whiskies. I know that's pretty obvious but I was somewhere once where a Laphroaig Cairdeas was the first whisky on the list and #2 & #3 were lighter whiskies that were completely overpowered by the Laphroaig.

Thanks for the feedback. I presented again tonight, same distillery. I don't know anything more than I did on Saturday but I felt it went better because I was a little less nervous.

In the spirit of "lets learn more about whisky", I highly recommend clicking on the link below. I'll read this through another ten times over the next few years, it's got a lot of great information about Sherry Casks and what that actually means in the whisky industry. I'm also becoming a bit more a sherry nerd!

https://www.whiskynotes.be/2017/whisky-news/sherry-casks-in-the-whisky-industry/

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

slothrop posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I presented again tonight, same distillery. I don't know anything more than I did on Saturday but I felt it went better because I was a little less nervous.

In the spirit of "lets learn more about whisky", I highly recommend clicking on the link below. I'll read this through another ten times over the next few years, it's got a lot of great information about Sherry Casks and what that actually means in the whisky industry. I'm also becoming a bit more a sherry nerd!

https://www.whiskynotes.be/2017/whisky-news/sherry-casks-in-the-whisky-industry/

I used to be a real 'peat-head' when it came to whiskies but nowadays I'm more partial to sherry bombs. Bourbon casks are cheaper than sherry casks by a factor of 20 or so, so decent sherried whisky is comparatively rare, although that doesn't excuse Edrington price gouging with Macallan.

EDIT : Good article btw.

Basically, bung any old poo poo in there for a bit then sell it off to the Whisky industry.

biglads fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 12, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Swung by the hole in the wall store near my work and was surprised to see a case with these in it... These prices seem low, am I wrong? Not that I could ever afford any of them...

$300 ($800?) / $1400 / $500

emotive fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 13, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

emotive posted:

Swung by the hole in the wall store near my work and was surprised to see a case with these in it... These prices seem low, am I wrong? Not that I could ever afford any of them...

$300 / $1400 / $500
I think the Lot B label is $800 not $300. If so, those prices are about market.

Saratoga wines has them for $649/$1500/$550

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
These seem very high, even for secondary pricing. Lot B should be around $450-500, 15yr $900-1000, Stagg about tree fiddy.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Gravitee posted:

These seem very high, even for secondary pricing. Lot B should be around $450-500, 15yr $900-1000, Stagg about tree fiddy.
Where is GTS 2018 available for $350? All the shops around me (NYC area) are asking ridiculous amounts.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
WTFC I got a bottle of Pappy 15 for $100 last winter since Oregon sets the price on everything. My buddy whose family owns a liquor store sold it to me before it could hit the shelf. Shame he's working somewhere else now, haven't gotten dibs on anything good/rare this season.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

BSM has them:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Someone from my local bourbon Facebook group just posted a ‘scouting update’ from my local liquor shop.

In one hand, I’d love for them to get more business as they are really great. In the other, they have great prices and I hope they don’t get picked over now :(.

They had a few bottles of yamakazi 12 today for $75.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Gravitee posted:

BSM has them:

Thanks for the information. I'll join BSM. How common are scams on BSM?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the information. I'll join BSM. How common are scams on BSM?

They happen but the wrath is swift and unending. If you do your homework (look for sales history, check serial numbers, check photos) there's so many awesome Bourbons going through there to pick up.

MegaFireBalls is good too if you like gambling your money away for a chance at great stuff. I've done a lot of lottos and spent a fair bit of $ but I have some good bottles to show for it.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This is just a PSA, but one that I'd urge you to take seriously:

The trading groups are awesome, and can get you access to bottles you might not otherwise be able to get - but if they're marking up on the price and shipping then they are technically bootlegging.

Some jurisdictions care about it, and are cracking down. Other places have better things to worry about. IN VT this year, and next, the DLC is focusing their enforcement efforts on people who are buying the prestige VT beers (Heady Topper, Hill Farmstead's stuff, etc) and then reselling online and shipping.

If you live in a major metro area, in a state that is a three-tier system of distribution rather than a control state, then chances are no one will ever say anything about these trading clubs. But if you're in a rural area with a DLC or an ABC that has nothing better to do, then I wouldn't advertise too hard about "shipping" people bottles for mark-ups.

edit: And to be super technical - if they're reselling at all, regardless of mark-up, that's bootlegging. If whoever is selling alcohol does not possess a license to do so, they're doing something illegal regardless if they're shipping it or not.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 13, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks for the heads up on the legal issues. I'm only buying (and occasionally giving away stuff) not selling so I hope I'm at lower risk.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the legal issues. I'm only buying (and occasionally giving away stuff) not selling so I hope I'm at lower risk.

No prob :) I don't want to see people discouraged from finding and enjoying whiskies. I just want to keep whiskey goons out of trouble.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 14, 2018

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

All fair points. I've also seen some tragedies lately where they were packaged poorly and gave the contents away. You can't really ask for your money back if fedex drop kicked it on your front porch.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Gravitee posted:

All fair points. I've also seen some tragedies lately where they were packaged poorly and gave the contents away. You can't really ask for your money back if fedex drop kicked it on your front porch.

Uhhh yes, I would like to insure this package of salsa. How much? $1200 please.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

A popular mid Atlantic trade group was infiltrated by The LCB a few months ago and they actually charged someone and confiscated all their booze.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

very stable genius posted:

A popular mid Atlantic trade group was infiltrated by The LCB a few months ago and they actually charged someone and confiscated all their booze.

That's crazy. Link?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Liquor is the only issue where I find myself agreeing with Republican politicians on a regular basis. Outlaw poo poo that's going to make my optic nerves explode and then get the gently caress away from my booze.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Has anybody tried Wyoming Whiskey Private Stock? My store has it on clearance at $30 and I can't find that much discussion on it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Liquor is the only issue where I find myself agreeing with Republican politicians on a regular basis. Outlaw poo poo that's going to make my optic nerves explode and then get the gently caress away from my booze.

Temperance and prohibition are conservative viewpoints so I wouldn't trust the Republican party in that area.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I confirmed that one of my local shops has BTAC stock right now. I know I asked the question before but are 2018 GTS at $400, 2018 WLW at $700 or 2018 ER 17 at some equally inflated price worth it? The descriptions I read of the WLW sound more my speed but nearly double the cost of the GTS is tough to spend.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
That’s basically secondary pricing. I haven’t had all of those, but I absolutely don’t think stagg is worth $500. I’d rather stock my shelf with $30-50 bottles than have one bottle of those.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Yes, it's definitely right there at secondary pricing but at least with a local shop I don't have to worry about shipping, flaky sellers etc. It's hard for me to imagine any bourbon being worth those secondary prices but both the WLW and GTS have got good reviews out there. Right now at home I have been drinking Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Knob Creek Rye Cask Strength, Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Batch Proof, and EH Taylor Straight Rye. Are GTS and WLW noticeably better in general?

EDIT: Goddamnit, I went full tater and got the GTS at market pricing. I figured I would do it once in my life just to try and then stay away from the BTAC/Pappy secondary market forever.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 16, 2018

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Every year Makers Mark sends a Christmas gift to their ambassadors.
Past years it's been silly stuff like a tiny scarf for a bottle or mistletoe to put on the bottle.
This year it was something actually useful.

Socks!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thumposaurus posted:

Every year Makers Mark sends a Christmas gift to their ambassadors.
Past years it's been silly stuff like a tiny scarf for a bottle or mistletoe to put on the bottle.
This year it was something actually useful.

Socks!
Awesome gift. It's funny how people hate socks as kids but love em as adults.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Yes, it's definitely right there at secondary pricing but at least with a local shop I don't have to worry about shipping, flaky sellers etc. It's hard for me to imagine any bourbon being worth those secondary prices but both the WLW and GTS have got good reviews out there. Right now at home I have been drinking Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Knob Creek Rye Cask Strength, Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Batch Proof, and EH Taylor Straight Rye. Are GTS and WLW noticeably better in general?

EDIT: Goddamnit, I went full tater and got the GTS at market pricing. I figured I would do it once in my life just to try and then stay away from the BTAC/Pappy secondary market forever.

Let us know what you think!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

If you're going to pull the trigger on one of them then GTS was probably the best choice. The secondary markup is slightly less insane and, while Iaven't had it myself, a lot of folks hold it out to be the quintessential expression of bourbon. Let us know how it stacks up!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

So I've just purchased my first cask from the Shizuoka Distillery. It's only an octave so I should end up with around 50 bottles (700ml) in 5 years. Ends up being like $70 per bottle after the taxes, bottling, labeling etc. is all paid for.
I went with the ex-Karuizawa still. I liked that sample more than their regular firewood-heated still, and they are the same price, so I figured why not.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What would be the cost if you'd have it aged for 10 years?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

That's not an option, the max they allow for the 55L is 5 years. Minimum 3 years.
I have a couple tiny 2L casks at home, so I may try aging a bit further for experimental purposes.
They do offer a barrel (180L), max 9 years, but that's a pretty high upfront cost (999,000 yen).

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 18, 2018

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone had the Glendronach 18? I’m thinking of picking up a bottle as a ‘paid off all my student loans’ celebration.

One thing that makes me really interested is this article here:

https://wordsofwhisky.com/glendronach-is-a-lot-older-than-the-label-says/

Give the distillery was closed from 1996-2001, am 18 year Glendronach bottles in 2018 will actually be more like 23 years old.

$150 for a 23 year old scotch that is very well reviewed seems like a pretty good celebratory bottle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Note that even if stills run dry, sometimes distillate is stored in large inert containers for long-term storage. So even if something was distilled in 1996, it might not have been put into a cask until years later. AFAIK, this is what happened to Stitzel-Weller’s last runs.

Glendronach is good. Enjoy the intrinsic quality of the product and not the rumor that it might be older than the label says.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 18, 2018