Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

"Now that I've convinced you we're hip and woke, BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Always surprised there's an audience for brand Twitter accounts, especially considering they all seem to follow the same template.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn’t that the account lowtax was trying to help get verified? Is it really for the steak ums brand? I just find it weird that they frequently post stuff if that caliber of cynicism as anything other than a troll

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

qkkl posted:

$20 can buy like a month's supply of rice or potatoes. My recommendation to feed yourself on a very tight budget is to buy rice, potatoes, canned beans, and maybe some of the cheapest ground beef or sausage, for protein.

Busting out this old chestnut

Great Goon Database posted:

Ghetto Chili
Peel and slice some potatoes. The thinner the better since the potato starch is what's going to thicken this up. Add skim milk and noodles and let simmer over low heat while covered, stirring often. We're going to get a gravy-ish broth here, so if it starts getting too thin leave uncovered for a bit to evaporate or add more noodles. You can add butter or oil if you'd like, I try to avoid it unless the noodles are really sticking.

Once it's thickened a bit add pepper. poo poo tons of it. And a little salt, too. Stir it very well, and it should become a sort of disgusting gray color. Taste often to achieve target. Add veggies if you like.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Screaming Idiot posted:

I will legit assault anybody I see who drops these. I will go to jail for the things I would do to them. I am not exaggerating, this is not hyperbole, I freely allow the US judicial system to use this post as evidence of premeditated assault or worse, because I swear to a non-existent god that the people that do this deserve to suffer.

You wanna make people respect your bullshit more, Christians? Drop real money. Drop a twenty-dollar bill on the ground with a note pinned inside: "You've been blessed this day! Why not stop by (church) for more?" And then when they do, offer genuine help.

You get your Jesus-propaganda out there and instill some actual gratitude in people who might need it while paying lip service to the religious screed. But no, these fuckers will spend hundreds of dollars buying tracts by the bulk and scoff and accuse people in need of help of laziness and faithlessness.

Anybody who burns churches gets my approval. gently caress 'em.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

Always surprised there's an audience for brand Twitter accounts, especially considering they all seem to follow the same template.

steakums has a significantly more existentialist tone than the other ones

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

"Now that I've convinced you we're hip and woke, BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS BUY STEAK-UMS"

go read more of their posts lol

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
being rich is economic terrorism, siphoning money from recirculation that would power the economy, to instead rot in a bank

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:hmmyes:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

eh, kantorovich almost got gulaged for having the bourgeois concept of money in his linear programming price system, but he was the closest to actually creating an automatic system for assigning production to poo poo

soviets ignored him a remarkable amount (he was a genius and heralded as such but nobody fuckin actually implemented poo poo from him), but american firms sat up and listened like gently caress to danzig, and here we are

This post got me down a wiki hole to learn about it and it's pretty neat. Mostly because I read the last line as a bunch of CEOs jamming down to Mother by Danzig and had no idea what the hell you were talking about.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's accidental that only food companies are going down the ironic depressive messaging route.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
be sadder, be fatter

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jon Joe posted:

I don't think it's accidental that only food companies are going down the ironic depressive messaging route.
nah it's not even anything that clever
lower end food is probably the only thing millennial and younger consumers can afford, so it's one of the few brand segments actively trying to appeal to them

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Unexpected capitalism videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgshWn6edn8

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Coolness Averted posted:

nah it's not even anything that clever
lower end food is probably the only thing millennial and younger consumers can afford, so it's one of the few brand segments actively trying to appeal to them

Then why aren't the rice and bean and potato companies doing it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shima Honnou posted:

Then why aren't the rice and bean and potato companies doing it?

Are there even any recognizable rice, bean, and potato companies?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Len posted:

Are there even any recognizable rice, bean, and potato companies?

There definitely are. Do you not shop in supermarkets, or do you just not buy rice and beans?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pirate Radar posted:

There definitely are. Do you not shop in supermarkets, or do you just not buy rice and beans?

I buy whatever is cheapest at the time.

Although I don't buy beans. My fiancee want eat then so those get passed over entirely

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Len posted:

I buy whatever is cheapest at the time.

Although I don't buy beans. My fiancee want eat then so those get passed over entirely

:sever:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Lobe posted:

that said, I suspect VR is still an immature technology compared to what it will be like in a couple of decades

yeah vr is right now where bideo james in general were in the early 90s, imo. rudimentary and limited most of the time, most games are made by a couple people in a garage office, and there's still a lot of experimentation with what works and what doesn't. and while it's mostly short and basic games, when everything comes together just right, poo poo owns so much. also, even without much room space, cockpit simulation games of all just kinds fit it so well, it's worth getting if you play those a lot imo. flight sims, racing, mechwarriors, etc. beat saber also only requires some space to stand in and seems to be the most popular vr game right now.

in the next 5-10 years we could see some real cool poo poo coming down the pipeline as displays, graphics, and tracking tech/controllers get better, though.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

vr tam is poo poo, market growth is poo poo. it'll be there but it turns out they wanted a smartphone-sized market and got a headphone-sized market instead. they wanted smartphone-sized usage (~double digit hours a week) and got like an hour or two a week

any rumours of facebook shuttering oculus yet? or are they too far down the sunk cost fallacy to do it? they're definitely one of the people who wanted this to be used by everyone everywhere all the time and then iphone 2.0 just doesn't want to happen, what a shocker. palmer is a piece of poo poo, but lmao he scammed zucc out of about 1.9b

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Outrail posted:

E: Has anyone ever calculated how much they earn per minute and just sat there watching a clock crank out the pennies while working?

Yes. It was especially great comparing it to money raked in by the company, I knew exactly what they got per e-mail and call we answered, so I could pretty much precisely calculate the rate of exploitation. Not counting the admin work the department head pushed on us without extra pay (he couldn't figure figure it out), but I think that came back to bite him in the rear end, because poor instruction resulted in faulty tabulation and incorrect graphs and that poo poo was apparently presented to the board for months as if it had been his own work. :lol:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
my take on vr is this: after HD tv was mandated and took off, tv manufacturers made bank selling everyone an upgrade from old rear end CRTs to new flatscreens. once everyone was upgraded, demand plummeted so they've been trying to come up with some other way sell cheap screens at huge profit. 3d tv, curved displays, most smart tvs failed to launch, but 4k and VR are seeming to stick a bit. but none of the hype or advancements in vr tech are demanded by consumers, it's all just an industry trying to recapture a one time event that got everyone to buy new tvs

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i'm getting a new computer that will be theoretically VR capable this week and I can't say I have even the faintest interest in it, since they don't seem to have worked out movement in a satisfying way yet

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Frog Act posted:

i'm getting a new computer that will be theoretically VR capable this week and I can't say I have even the faintest interest in it, since they don't seem to have worked out movement in a satisfying way yet

People complaining about control schemes in VR the year Red Dead Redemption 2 was released ITT

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Frog Act posted:

if you're playing video games, place cockpit video games

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
it’s a tough solve because people don’t have for example a huge city or deep forest in their living room. Most games I’ve played will use teleportation to move the player around or have the player not really have to move a huge amount.

Super Hot VR is extremely good as it is basically a series of murder vignettes in which you kill 3 or 4 enemies in different rooms. It’s more like a puzzle game but the solution is “throw cup at guys face - catch his gun in midair - shoot the guy next to you - shoot the guy over there” and when you pull it off flawlessly you feel like a ninja assassin.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Holographic computing like the Hololens is the real exciting one, as it basically means the end of being locked to a single static screen, but we're probably still the better part of a decade away from the concept being small and cheap enough to get any real traction.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Holographic computing like the Hololens is the real exciting one, as it basically means the end of being locked to a single static screen, but we're probably still the better part of a decade away from the concept being small and cheap enough to get any real traction.

ar is gonna be on phones

magic leap is a piece of poo poo, so is hololens

phone peeps tried to get in on vr until they realized it wasn't gonna be as big as smartphones. but ar is gonna faff around long enough for the phone hardware to catch up

oculus go is a phone. you can make phone calls on it. they took out like 1/2 the lovely bits of mobile vr, but that technology is gonna proliferate

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Astro Bot is supposedly real good and a lot closer to what I thought VR would be like as a kid (as in, you're not the main character, you're just surrounded by the game world playing an otherwise completely normal videogame).

However I'm not paying like, $600 to $800 for a PS4 and PSVR just to play Astro Bot and I don't think all that many people will

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
vr is also now by like an order of magnitude the cheapest phobia exposure therapy. it used to be the cheapest by a lil bit but the price went down 100x

so maybe with a diagnosis the insurance will someday buy you a cheapass oculus go

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

VR is pretty incredible already, and insanely practical and non gimmicky for a lot of tasks/games. I've done some work using photogrammetry to record and capture locations for posterity. Some of the VR modeling software turns the work of cleaning up the meshes into something that would be weeks of frustrating work with a mouse on a flat screen, into something I can do in an evening, with better results to boot.

As far as games, VR has delivered, at least for me, the first instance of being wowed by a game in a way I haven't been since I was a little kid playing doom for the first time. Where it feels like the first truly new experience in 20 years.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Plank Walker posted:

my take on vr is this: after HD tv was mandated and took off, tv manufacturers made bank selling everyone an upgrade from old rear end CRTs to new flatscreens. once everyone was upgraded, demand plummeted so they've been trying to come up with some other way sell cheap screens at huge profit. 3d tv, curved displays, most smart tvs failed to launch, but 4k and VR are seeming to stick a bit. but none of the hype or advancements in vr tech are demanded by consumers, it's all just an industry trying to recapture a one time event that got everyone to buy new tvs

Consumer VR is pretty much dead at this point, it isn't sticking at all. Even PSVR unit sales are pathetic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

Consumer VR is pretty much dead at this point, it isn't sticking at all. Even PSVR unit sales are pathetic.

something like 10% of oculus go sales for 2018 y2d are to walmart for training associates

so yeah, b2b land here we go. its not a smartphone sized market, its a headphone sized market

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

did people really think virtual headsets were going to be a new smartphone. were people going to be staring into their vr headseat as they walk on the sidewalk and reach for it as soon as they wake up in the morning and compulsively put it on every 15 minutes

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

did people really think virtual headsets were going to be a new smartphone. were people going to be staring into their vr headseat as they walk on the sidewalk and reach for it as soon as they wake up in the morning and compulsively put it on every 15 minutes

people? idk. investors? enough to fund some companies, sure

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well zucc is a robot so it wasn't people technically...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
to be fair, some people could be looking ahead to AR, since apart from displays not being see-through, the tech for VR is nearly identical, so dropping some money on this now and getting all the patents could be better than paying through the nose for that in 10 years.

otoh, facebook/oculus really thought they'd move millions of units in the first year IIRC. millions of units of this thing that needs a 2x2 empty space in a room and a $1000 rig in most cases on top of the price of the thing which is already high. it was the equivalent of expecting wolf3d to move millions of 386 sales in 1992 imo.

Frog Act posted:

there's tools that track your hands and/or feet and you can walk in place and move in the game now, and it feels good enough imo. outside of full BCI (if it ever even happens), it's about the closest we'll get to full body freedom I think.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Truga posted:

to be fair, some people could be looking ahead to AR, since apart from displays not being see-through, the tech for VR is nearly identical, so dropping some money on this now and getting all the patents could be better than paying through the nose for that in 10 years.

otoh, facebook/oculus really thought they'd move millions of units in the first year IIRC. millions of units of this thing that needs a 2x2 empty space in a room and a $1000 rig in most cases on top of the price of the thing which is already high. it was the equivalent of expecting wolf3d to move millions of 386 sales in 1992 imo.

Nah I mean, zuck is a weird awful robot, but at least on that front everyone at oculus and facebook was really vocal that it was a slow burn and not expected to take off this soon. Its all the 3rd party investment analysts that latched onto thinking it would sell millions out of the gate then were all writing about it being dead a year later, when they were the only ones expecting those kind of sales, lol. For most, even for oculus, its really about the research and solving problems right now.

I for one love VR, and god drat it its the only part of the fictional cyberpunk dystopia we're going to actually get in our lame cyberpunk dystopia (besides the constant surveillance and poverty).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
i tried out a vr headset over the weekend for the first time and while i was mildly impressed, it seemed like way too much work to get all the poo poo together.

i do think the possibilities for actual therapy are pretty good. but as a consumer device it kinda fell flat for me. i def wouldn't buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I make large scale abstract sculptures out of wood, and VR has been extremely helpful for me. I use a program called kodon to mock up ideas at the scale of my body without investing in a huge amount of wood blind, or devoting a month to a time consuming physical model, so I bought a vive. I realize that’s a pretty niche case tho and not what most consumers would want or need