Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm mad that orcs aren't real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

This has probably been asked before but can anyone recommend a version/translation of ROTK for someone who has never, ever seriously engaged with Chinese history or folklore? As accessible as possible.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Vlex posted:

This has probably been asked before but can anyone recommend a version/translation of ROTK for someone who has never, ever seriously engaged with Chinese history or folklore? As accessible as possible.

ask in the china thread in GBS

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Vlex posted:

You can watch the tv series on YouTube. Not a bad series actually.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vlex posted:

The Moss Roberts translation is what you need. It comes with tons of footnotes that explain every historical & cultural reference.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdo...doms+unabridged

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Mantis42 posted:

The Moss Roberts translation is what you need. It comes with tons of footnotes that explain every historical & cultural reference.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdo...doms+unabridged

Thanks!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Vlex posted:

Besides the recommended TV show from 2010 -- I specify this to differentiate from a much more novel-faithful 1994 show -- and the unabridged Moss Roberts translation linked by Mantis42, a CA dev recommended this completed podcast (YouTube version here) for the novel. Note that if you go with that podcast the 2010 TV show starts roughly in the vicinity of podcast episodes 4-5, while Total War: Three Kingdoms begins later at podcast episode 9 (the game's Sun Jian trailer is set during podcast episode 8).

Have a a provincial map for the sake of getting where the hell are people talking about, and here's some other 2010 vs. 1994 show talk.

(Addendum: Starting on page 137 of this PDF is some 'history' vs. novel differences.)

Chortles fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 7, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Colonialism TW sounds awful really. It relies on a lot of mechanics TW just isn’t built to handle and the actual fighting would get repetitive quickly

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Colonialism TW sounds awful really. It relies on a lot of mechanics TW just isn’t built to handle and the actual fighting would get repetitive quickly

All the TW mechanics are present but your troops just die en masse of disease while the generals gain negative traits. Instead of set-piece battles you're called in by company interests to commit horrible war crimes, which are so repulsive and tedious that you end up clicking 'autoresolve' over and over. At the end of the game you are put on trial.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
You're probably right, I'm just disappointed we'll never get "Whatever happens, we have got the Maxim gun, and they have...wait, poo poo!" and like, Armored Maxim Elephants.

I guess for the time period, if you wanted to avoid China...Russian Civil War would match up with their system a bit better? Plus, tachanka chariots.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 7, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
American Civil War would be really fun. The Darthmod dude's Ultimate General Civil War game is really good.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kong Rong is the next warlord. A trade focused turtling lord with a boring initial decision (why would you ever trade a commander for an ally?)

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-warlord-legends-kong-rong

Either Yuan Shu, Gongsun Zan or Dong Zhuo(!!) is unplayable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Heh, so it turns out there is a mod set in the Taiping Rebellion era in China now. Catch? It's a mod for Medieval II.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Kong Rong is the next warlord. A trade focused turtling lord with a boring initial decision (why would you ever trade a commander for an ally?)

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-warlord-legends-kong-rong

Either Yuan Shu, Gongsun Zan or Dong Zhuo(!!) is unplayable.

i think its gonna be dong zhou, and theyll save him and lu bu for the first big dlc, crazy as it seems. then probably a meng huo dlc, maybe korea if we’re lucky? though i doubt it

although maybe theyll do an era approach for dlc instead so we get a jin dlc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Given Warhammer's success and the fact that it's 3 Kingdoms I think character-focused DLC, taking a page from Warhammer's Lord Packs, are pretty likely.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe Dong Zhuo is considered too powerful, since he starts with the Emperor vassalized? I could see this being balanced out with everyone being hostile to you and the initial dilemma being over keeping Dong or letting Lu Bu overthrow him, resetting relations but losing your position.

They seem to like symmetrical starts where no one has more than a province or two.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

I've seen at least one Redditor speculate that maybe if you choose the latter then "Taishi Ci will leave for a certain amount of turns, then re-appear with a fairly sizable army", to which I add 'large/strong enough to outweigh whatever he as your subordinate could have recruited in those turns?'

Mantis42 posted:

Maybe Dong Zhuo is considered too powerful, since he starts with the Emperor vassalized? I could see this being balanced out with everyone being hostile to you
Not true, Ma Teng is his (only playable) ally at the start of the game.

Mantis42 posted:

and the initial dilemma being over keeping Dong or letting Lu Bu overthrow him, resetting relations but losing your position.
Part of the question here is whether here Lü Bu would get to have any unique campaign/faction mechanics or just directly inherits those that don't require that Dong Zhuo be faction leader (e.g. Liu Bei's free militia upkeep and Yuan Shao's reduced recruitment/upkeep costs for captain revenues). As for 'unplayable, AI-only Dong Zhuo' -- I'm seeing comparisons to Attila's Western Roman Empire -- that doesn't preclude one from trying to turn Lü Bu, perhaps via the 'Support Independence' diplomatic offer if he's a vassal or regular entice-to-defect if he's a direct subordinate?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I'm still waiting on 30 years war: total war

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Heh, so it turns out there is a mod set in the Taiping Rebellion era in China now. Catch? It's a mod for Medieval II.

guess im gonna play a mod for medieval 2 this saturday then!!!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I can only hope RotTK leads to a possible 19th century China spin-off game like FotS. I can dream right :allears:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I can only hope RotTK leads to a possible 19th century China spin-off game like FotS. I can dream right :allears:

My first thought when total war of the three kingdoms was announced was "wow, once the finished with that they can reuse the map for taiping total war!!!"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Having played a small bit of that med2 mod: this straight up feels like an official campaign. They got agent videos and everything. drat

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 8, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Agean90 posted:

Having played a small bit of that med2 mod: this straight up feels like an official campaign. They got agent videos and everything. drat

Is it a pain to install? I never could get Broken Crescent working but I’m very intrigued by this now

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't stand going back to Medieval 2 gameplay but drat I wish the newer games were as moddable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been playing some vanilla Empire. Well, it seems that the battle AI is still dumb as a rock but it at least recognizes how to stand and shoot and when to charge now. There's still a ton of issues that make it hard to like, however. Pathfinding is still terrible, city sieges in the early game are a joke because your fixed artillery can only deploy beyond effective firing range, and late game sieges have even worse pathfinding than city streets. Muskets sound like pop guns, and the soundtrack is so barebones I swear I heard recycled music from Medieval 2 Kingdoms.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

and the soundtrack is so barebones I swear I heard recycled music from Medieval 2 Kingdoms.

Medieval 2 had a bitching soundtrack so I think that counts as a bonus. Did they ever manage to fix the American independence minicampaign? Because it was great how all the AI bugs from launch were still in it last time I played, which admittedly was like right after Napoleon came out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I never bothered with the American campaign. I could never be bothered to do anything I'm the American theater because I like playing as Prussia or Sweden and loving over the Catholic monarchies.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Is it a pain to install? I never could get Broken Crescent working but I’m very intrigued by this now

Not really. You just rename the America campaign in the games mod folder to something else then just drop the mods part in. Launch the game as the Americas campaign and your set

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Agean90 posted:

Not really. You just rename the America campaign in the games mod folder to something else then just drop the mods part in. Launch the game as the Americas campaign and your set

It was definitely more complicated when I played it. Albeit that would’ve been like 2010.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It was definitely more complicated when I played it. Albeit that would’ve been like 2010.

Modding has got a lot better over the years. Especially when they figured out how to abuse kingdoms.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Seriously, what is up with the Europe campaign map music for ETW. Like seriously, why so bad.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mantis42 posted:

You might not be able to afford upkeep, and Rong does have improved trade income so I can see the diplomatic boost being very worth it in the early game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, what is up with the Europe campaign map music for ETW. Like seriously, why so bad.

I actually find the campaign map music to be better than the battle music, which consists of three tracks that are so similar they might as well be the same. That goddamn whistle to make it sound like marching music drives me insane.

It makes me yearn for the mods that just play Last of the Mohicans music on repeat. I'd love for a mod ripping music from films to take from Sergei Bondarchuk's films.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 8, 2018

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It makes me yearn for the mods that just play Last of the Mohicans music on repeat. I'd love for a mod ripping music from films to take from Sergei Bondarchuk's films.

Don't forget the Master and Commander theme :rip: :britain:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I got a mod that simply used orchestral music made by the conductors and musicians of the 18th and early 19th century and it worked so much better. Hell, the NTW campaign music would also do me better.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
edit: wait poo poo, that was old news

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Napoleonic Total War 3 any good? The mod looks neat but it also looks like hell to download and set up properly, so I don't know if the end product is worth the hassle.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Taishi Ci's official portrait is up; turns out he's a Sentinel like Huang Zhong so their associated troop type is melee infantry and the associated attribute is Expertise. Unlike Dynasty Warriors (twin rods/batons) or the novel (twin ji) Taishi Ci has a Composite Bow (same flavor text as Huang Zhong's Heirloom Bow of Huang) plus for abilities he has Hail of Arrows ("A flurry of shafts slows the enemy advance"), Quickfire ("Taishi Ci fires and fires, faster and faster, never relenting"), and he and Huang Zhong both have Adamant Resolve ("Determination and grit allow all attacks to be dodged").

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I legit can't wait for the inevitable Dynasty Warriors character mods to pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I need Huang Gai swinging a boat around and strategists shooting lasers