Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was loving around about all the logical fallacy stuff, but this dude's first response to the nakedcapitalism article is to call Mark Ames a dudebro lmao

Is AFancyQuestionMark the Israeli who didn't understand how Israel is so right wing in the I/P thread?

Yes lol

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
You got me, there aren't actually that many posts of partisangirl ITT (except the one that started this whole debate of course). I was only using her and Mark Ames as examples for my points because they're the ones people posted in that argument, not as the sole offenders.

But I guess you can go ahead and ban me now, adminguy. I shan't disturb this enlightened circle-jerk again.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Jose posted:

Yes lol

Like where is the mod challenge to this guy to back up this accusation? Nowhere? Oh, ok then.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Partisangirl is a psychotic clown, and gets posted in this thread as a running joke. She got posted here because she heightens the comedy of Elliot Higgins making a fool of himself on stage. You picked the weirdest hill to die on itt.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Partisangirl is a psychotic clown, and gets posted in this thread as a running joke. She got posted here because she heightens the comedy of Elliot Higgins making a fool of himself on stage. You picked the weirdest hill to die on itt.

The argument was about BM and his trustworthiness as a reporter. I have not chosen partisangirl as the hill to die on ITT. She was chosen for me, by the brutal arm of the law.

Also, lol if you think that video reflects poorly on BM

AFancyQuestionMark has issued a correction as of 07:44 on Dec 10, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

The argument was about BM and his trustworthiness as a reporter. I have not chose partisangirl as the hill to die on ITT. She was chosen for me, by the brutal arm of the law.

Also, lol if you think that video reflects poorly on BM

*crosses my arms* what you're doing right now is frankly disgusting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Like where is the mod challenge to this guy to back up this accusation? Nowhere? Oh, ok then.

That's bullshit. Were was this rightist determinism in the 90's? The steady, uninterrupted, right ward slide has only been a thing for a little over a decade. Hell, the disrngagement from Gaza wasn't that long ago, relatively speaking.

That's true, but there were several left of centre governments since that time, with Olmert being the latest.

Left of centre relative to Israeli politics.

There was also a half assed attempt at a peace deal somewhere in there.

Point is, it's only been getting steadily more right wing post-Olmert. Before that things vacillated back and forth.

I can definitely understand why they behave like this, but it still pisses me off when they do, if not as much as the poo poo my own government pulls.

It also looks incredibly silly when, after a ceasefire was just achieved, which the Israeli public is highly dissatisfied with, so much so that the Minister of Defence resigned and the government is on the verge of collapse, that Hamas goes "We won after all. See, we succeeded in causing a great upheaval in Israeli politics :smug:" as if this won't result in another escalation of tensions.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Okay, how do you read that and conclude that Israel is currently not right wing? Because I said it was left of center in the past?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
"The steady, uninterrupted, right ward slide has only been a thing for a little over a decade." = "I don't understand how Israel is so right-wing"

Seriously, WTF?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would like to point out that the Gulf War was prompted by Saddam Hussein being told by the US Ambassador that they had no objections to Saddam's invasion of Kuwait, and then was sold to the public by having the daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador testify to Congress that Iraqi soldiers were throwing babies out of incubators. The woman did not identify herself as such, and her story was a complete fabrication, as she was coached by a PR firm

This is not an example of acceptable interventionism, by whatever standard

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So instead the international community should have just let Saddam annex Kuwait?

I view it positively because the outcome for the people of Kuwait at the end of the intervention was better than the situation would have been without an intervention. Do you disagree?

AFancyQuestionMark has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Dec 10, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yes

understand why Saddam was in power in the first place. Actions have consequences

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So Kuwait would have been better off under Saddam?

Actions have consequences, but everyone should have looked the other way when someone literally invades another country with the intent to annex it?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Actions have consequences, but everyone should have looked the other way when someone literally invades another country with the intent to annex it?

what kinds of weapons were they using to invade

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Guns?

You can read all about it here.

"Following the events of the Iraq–Kuwait war, about half of the Kuwaiti population,[50] including 400,000 Kuwaitis and several thousand foreign nationals, fled the country. The Indian government evacuated over 170,000 overseas Indians by flying almost 488 flights over 59 days.[51]

During the 7-month occupation, the forces of Saddam Hussein looted Kuwait's vast wealth and there were also reports of violations of human rights.[52] A 2005 study revealed that the Iraqi occupation had a long-term adverse impact on the health of the Kuwaiti populace.[53]"

Actions have consequences.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god you're a loving dunce

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Supporting a violent foreign occupation to own the imperialists.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:thunk:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

ah yes, argumentum thunkum

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
drat, killing all the arguments in your path. like some sort of highway of... of...

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So the highway of death means the intervention was unjustified and it would be better if it never happened and Iraq kept its newly conquered province? Is that what y'all are saying?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It worked for Crimea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Again, the evidence of Iraqi oppression was completely fabricated

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It worked for Crimea Russia

Fixed.

Also, Crimea didn't have over half of its population flee the country either.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Again, the evidence of Iraqi oppression was completely fabricated

So the Kuwaiti's welcomed the Iraqis with open arms?

You know what, gently caress it. If you carry water for a literal military occupation and forceful annexation you can gently caress right off. gently caress you and your empty, weaselly contrarian poo poo

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would like to point out that the Gulf War was prompted by Saddam Hussein being told by the US Ambassador that they had no objections to Saddam's invasion of Kuwait

The ambassador straight up said it was ok for Saddam to invade? I bet that guy felt like a real jerk lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Kuwait is a literal slave state and was an even worse slave state back in the 80s, so interestingly enough both the popular will being in favour of independence argument and the invasion being bad for the Kuwaitis argument would hinge on who exactly you think counts as "the people of Kuwait".

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So those 400,000 people fled the country for lols?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So the Kuwaiti's welcomed the Iraqis with open arms?

You know what, gently caress it. If you carry water for a literal military occupation and forceful annexation you can gently caress right off. gently caress you and your empty, weaselly contrarian poo poo

:ironicat:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

So those 400,000 people fled the country for lols?

No, the serfs that fled had likely pretty good reasons for doing so. Such as getting out of slavery.

Seriously, dude, did you ever stop and question why exactly your own sources stated that there were over 170000 Indians in Kuwait who had to be evacuated? Were they all on a beach vacation, perhaps?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

looks like brown moses isn't the only one on state department payroll

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Flavahbeast posted:

The ambassador straight up said it was ok for Saddam to invade? I bet that guy felt like a real jerk lol

quote:

U.S. Ambassador Glaspie – I have direct instructions from President Bush to improve our relations with Iraq. We have considerable sympathy for your quest for higher oil prices, the immediate cause of your confrontation with Kuwait. (pause) As you know, I lived here for years and admire your extraordinary efforts to rebuild your country. We know you need funds. We understand that, and our opinion is that you should have the opportunity to rebuild your country. (pause) We can see that you have deployed massive numbers of troops in the south. Normally that would be none of our business, but when this happens in the context of your threat s against Kuwait, then it would be reasonable for us to be concerned. For this reason, I have received an instruction to ask you, in the spirit of friendship – not confrontation – regarding your intentions: Why are your troops massed so very close to Kuwait’s borders?

Saddam Hussein – As you know, for years now I have made every effort to reach a settlement on our dispute with Kuwait. There is to be a meeting in two days; I am prepared to give negotiations only this one more brief chance.

(pause) When we (the Iraqis) meet (with the Kuwaitis) and we see there is hope, then nothing will happen. But if we are unable to find a solution, then it will be natural that Iraq will not accept death.

U.S. Ambassador Glaspie – What solutions would be acceptable?

Saddam Hussein – If we could keep the whole of the Shatt al Arab – our strategic goal in our war with Iran – we will make concessions (to the Kuwaitis). But, if we are forced to choose between keeping half of the Shatt and the whole of Iraq (i.e., in Saddam s view, including Kuwait ) then we will give up all of the Shatt to defend our claims on Kuwait to keep the whole of Iraq in the shape we wish it to be. (pause) What is the United States’ opinion on this?

U.S. Ambassador Glaspie – We have no opinion on your Arab – Arab conflicts, such as your dispute with Kuwait. Secretary (of State James) Baker has directed me to emphasize the instruction, first given to Iraq in the 1960’s, that the Kuwait issue is not associated with America. (Saddam smiles)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
You got me, I am actually a foreign agent employed by Mattis himself. How else could I come up with takes as weird as "actually, invading and occupying other countries for oil bux is bad".

I can't believe people who call themselves anti-imperialists are literally saying that the invaders were greeted as liberators. Like how do you people not collapse on the spot from the sheer cognitive dissonance?

AFancyQuestionMark has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Dec 10, 2018

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
actually we're saying that america's big swinging dick shouldn't be hitting anything if it needs a propaganda campaign and straight up lying via diplomatic channels to justify it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess you admitting that you didn't really know the situation and just jumped to the standard liberal interventionist excuses would be too much of a climbdown for you to handle, right?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
No, maybe my reading comprehension is poo poo, but

Cerebral Bore posted:

Kuwait is a literal slave state and was an even worse slave state back in the 80s, so interestingly enough both the popular will being in favour of independence argument and the invasion being bad for the Kuwaitis argument would hinge on who exactly you think counts as "the people of Kuwait".

seems to me like an endorsement of the Iraqi invasion for the sake of liberating the people of Kuwait.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Cerebral Bore posted:

I guess you admitting that you didn't really know the situation and just jumped to the standard liberal interventionist excuses would be too much of a climbdown for you to handle, right?

Again, I am not a liberal interventionist. You are the ones supporting the Iraqi "intervention" in Kuwait! How do you not see this?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if a "literal military occupation" and "forceful occupation" was by itself a strong enough case for intervention, why did the US have to lie about it?

for that matter, if the Iraqis were committing human rights abuses, why did the US have to report on one that didn't actually happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The integrity of lines drawn on a map by Europeans a hundred years ago must be sacrosanct.