Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

Quina is... whatever the heck they are

swamp hobo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

Assuming we mean gainfully employed, and not "employed" as in "involved with others in working towards a common goal" because then everyone would be employed...

FFI: Unemployed hobos.
FFII: Leon was part of the Imperial military for a while, working as a Dark Knight and engineer for Palamecia until he joins you. Nobody else has a job.
FFIII: Unemployed children.
FFIV: Cecil, Kain, and Yang are all important members of their respective nations' military. Cid is an engineer. Rosa, Edward and Edge are royalty, and thus jobless. Everyone else is either too old or too young to work.
FFV: Unemployed hobos, unless "being a pirate" counts for Faris. (it doesn't)
FFVI: Shadow is a mercenary. Celes belonged to the Imperial military until shortly before you meet her. Cyan was a royal retainer. Setzer was a professional gambler. No one else has a job, unless you count Terra's stint as a mind-controlled war machine. Edgar dabbles in engineering, but he's a royal, so he's doing that on his citizens' dime.
FFVII: Cloud was a Shin-Ra grunt before becoming a mercenary. Tifa owned and ran a bar. Aerith tended and sold flowers. Cait Sith is actually Reeve, head of Shin-Ra's Department of Urban Development. Cid is once again an engineer, working for Shin-Ra seemingly right up until he joins you (though it seems like they don't often ask him for anything anymore). Vincent has been sleeping in the Shin-Ra Mansion basement long enough that I don't think he qualifies as having been recently employed. Yuffie and Red are both children.
FFVIII: Rinoa is the spoiled daughter of a military figure, everyone else is a student. However, the students are paid for their work according to their perceived aptitude, so I suppose that qualifies everyone else as being employed.
FFIX: Zidane was one of the lead actors in a theater troupe. Steiner is the head of a wing of the military (albeit a small one that most people view as a joke). Amarant is a professional assassin. Garnet is royalty, Freya is a hobo, Quina is... whatever the heck they are, and Vivi and Eiko are children.
FFX: Tidus and Wakka are pro athletes. Everyone else is unemployed.
FFXII: Penelo works for Migelo at his sundries store; Vaan does odd jobs for the guy but isn't actually employed, and seemingly makes what little money he has as a petty criminal. Ashe is a princess, Fran and Balthier are pirates, and Basch is a prisoner. One employed person in the whole game.
FFXIII: Lightning was essentially a police officer until very shortly before the game begins. Same with Sazh having been an airship pilot. Hope is a child, and Vanille, Fang and especially Snow are unemployed.
FFXV: Noctis is royalty. Ignis is his retainer and Gladio his bodyguard. Prompto is a mooch.

based on how the Sending works I'm going to count Yuna as a mortician, and Rikku was a salvage diver on that Al Bhed ship

also Prompto has an important job as The Prince's Commoner Friend whose official duty is to show the common people that He's Just Like Us

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CeallaSo posted:

Assuming we mean gainfully employed, and not "employed" as in "involved with others in working towards a common goal" because then everyone would be employed...

Solid write-up. Only nitpick I have is that Rosa isn't actually royalty (at least until the end of FF4), she serves with the white mages of the Baron military though I'm not really sure if she's technically considered military personnel or not.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

CeallaSo posted:

FFI: Unemployed hobos.
FFII: Leon was part of the Imperial military for a while, working as a Dark Knight and engineer for Palamecia until he joins you. Nobody else has a job.
FFIII: Unemployed children.
FFIV: Cecil, Kain, and Yang are all important members of their respective nations' military. Cid is an engineer. Rosa, Edward and Edge are royalty, and thus jobless. Everyone else is either too old or too young to work.
FFV: Unemployed hobos, unless "being a pirate" counts for Faris. (it doesn't)
FFVI: Shadow is a mercenary. Celes belonged to the Imperial military until shortly before you meet her. Cyan was a royal retainer. Setzer was a professional gambler. No one else has a job, unless you count Terra's stint as a mind-controlled war machine. Edgar dabbles in engineering, but he's a royal, so he's doing that on his citizens' dime.
FFVII: Cloud was a Shin-Ra grunt before becoming a mercenary. Tifa owned and ran a bar. Aerith tended and sold flowers. Cait Sith is actually Reeve, head of Shin-Ra's Department of Urban Development. Cid is once again an engineer, working for Shin-Ra seemingly right up until he joins you (though it seems like they don't often ask him for anything anymore). Vincent has been sleeping in the Shin-Ra Mansion basement long enough that I don't think he qualifies as having been recently employed. Yuffie and Red are both children.
FFVIII: Rinoa is the spoiled daughter of a military figure, everyone else is a student. However, the students are paid for their work according to their perceived aptitude, so I suppose that qualifies everyone else as being employed.
FFIX: Zidane was one of the lead actors in a theater troupe. Steiner is the head of a wing of the military (albeit a small one that most people view as a joke). Amarant is a professional assassin. Garnet is royalty, Freya is a hobo, Quina is... whatever the heck they are, and Vivi and Eiko are children.
FFX: Tidus and Wakka are pro athletes. Everyone else is unemployed.
FFXII: Penelo works for Migelo at his sundries store; Vaan does odd jobs for the guy but isn't actually employed, and seemingly makes what little money he has as a petty criminal. Ashe is a princess, Fran and Balthier are pirates, and Basch is a prisoner. One employed person in the whole game.
FFXIII: Lightning was essentially a police officer until very shortly before the game begins. Same with Sazh having been an airship pilot. Hope is a child, and Vanille, Fang and especially Snow are unemployed.
FFXV: Noctis is royalty. Ignis is his retainer and Gladio his bodyguard. Prompto is a mooch.

Prompto is a professional photographer he's just in between gigs right now and he'll soon be back on his feet. He just needs 10,000 gil.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Vaan thrives in the gig economy. Looking forward to getting picked up by him at midnight after a night of drinking.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What about the sequels?

Does Sphere Hunting count as a job? Granted the Gullwings eventually start to extort people for money but forgetting that, their main job is hunting spheres.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

What about the sequels?

Does Sphere Hunting count as a job? Granted the Gullwings eventually start to extort people for money but forgetting that, their main job is hunting spheres.

sphere hunting falls under the standard "Adventurer" blanket for people without jobs who go around looking for things to steal

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I feel like Guardians to a Summoner is a real position and title that bestows certain rights in the Yevon religion

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Mega64 posted:

Solid write-up. Only nitpick I have is that Rosa isn't actually royalty (at least until the end of FF4), she serves with the white mages of the Baron military though I'm not really sure if she's technically considered military personnel or not.

Military medic would be the closest real world position. You don't really need regular doctors when you can just get someone to chant over your wound and it instantly heals with no drawbacks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MarsDragon posted:

Military medic would be the closest real world position. You don't really need regular doctors when you can just get someone to chant over your wound and it instantly heals with no drawbacks.

Cure spells cause autism.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Palom and Porem are child soldiers serving as spies for the Mysidian government.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CeallaSo posted:

setzer was an arms dealer i think

locke calls himself a treasure hunter but i think he's an agent of figaro or the returners, which is probably funded by figaro

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Locke was an rebel agent, treasure hunting was his hobby / side gig.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Schwartzcough posted:

Cure spells cause autism.

This made me laugh way harder than it should have. Sometimes you have a good one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lft chapter the whateverth

I'm pretty much over this. I'm probably just gonna finish up the story content and just forget Deep Dungeon. I made it to END, but the enemies there have a bunch of artificial resistances and obscenely inflated stats--and when I say inflated stats, I mean things like Move. Everyone has Non-Charge. It also includes a few custom Knights who are immune to, well, everything. I COULD just do the grinding trick to balance everything out, but honestly that's just too much work.

Honorable mention goes to the spiteful rear end in a top hat dev changing exactly two treasures in Deep Dungeon: Excalibur becomes a Masamune, and Robe of Lords becomes a Sasuke Knife. That's right, there's no way to get Robe of Lords in this mod. Super great! actually there might be one on one of the 1000hp summoners at nevelska temple but you can't tell because they all have >1000hp :downs: But having played through the entire rest of this mod, my guess is that if they are wearing a Robe of Lords, they probably have built-in Maintenance.

Don't be fooled by this mod's uplifting tone. It tries its best to make every class good, and that's great! But everything else it does, from giving assassination targets 50% damage resistance, to insanely inflating stats on bosses (Adramalek's PAtk and MAtk are so high that Night Sword does >700 damage, and heals him for that much even if his target doesn't have that much HP; his regular attack does 999 damage and heals him for as much too!) is both petty and nightmarish.

Once, just once, can't someone make a mod that only has the cool poo poo, and none of this bullshit?

Of course not.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I haven't looked at the FFT mod scene in yeaaaaars, but I remember there being mods that weren't designed to be really hard. Like I seem to remember this one being like that? http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8658.0

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh hey speaking of Mods, my friend made an FFTA JP system mod.

You can find his stuff here

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12036.20

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
LFT: Chapter the Last

LFT is a mod that does many things right. It improves all the job classes. It improves them a lot. All the Base Jobs like Holy Knight, Engineer, or Dragoner have their Move boosted from 3 to 4, or even as high as 5. This is huge, and makes you really like to use everyone (even though you don't, because you have your three favorite recruits who are cooler because they can actually use the job class sprites). Even Malak becomes a hero in his own right, and Hell Knight comes with built-in Two Swords!

Spells have had their CT dramatically reduced, especially at lower magic tiers. Early game magic play is actually really viable now! You'll cast your basic-tier spells nearly on demand. Haste, Slow, your basic Black Magic and White Magic, they're now all useful! Talk Skill is hugely buffed. Praise, Preach, Threaten, and Solution all have a 100% hit rate. If you find that you want to grind, you can do it easy, no fuss, you can drop Chicken on anyone you want at 100% accuracy.

But, like most gameplay "improvement" mods, it seems to been turned rotten from the inside out by an echo chamber of posters who want it to be harder and harder until you can only crack it if you know the exact way the contributors imagined you should tackle the encounter.

The problems with LFT are apparent right out the gate. Monsters have been revamped and have all-new abilities. Unfortunately, these abilities are a huge pain in the rear end to deal with in the beginning of the game, and they're still worthlessly weak by the end. My first post about this mod was complaining that Cuars now have a ranged ability that inflicts Charm on the target; one Cuar is scripted to spawn in the very second battle where you rescue Algus. His first action is almost invariably to cast it on you, at a 68% success rate, right out the gate. You can never be faster than this monster, because of how stat growths have been changed in this mod. Thieves now also come with built-in Two Swords, meaning that Algus is in way more trouble than he is in vanilla. I hope you like resetting. i know i do

This mod touts its "strategic replacement" of units and ability loadouts. Very rarely is this actually interesting or well thought-out. More typically, this means that enemies have optimal Brave/Faith ratings and can drop powerful spells and highly-accurate status effects on you before you have a chance to act. The beginning of the game is the most dangerous, because you don't have the tools--not in terms of abilities, but your access to equipment--to mitigate these problems. You can't prevent debilitating status effects like confusion or charm, you can't out-speed enemies who honestly seem to have a slight edge in their natural stat growths, and you can't just slap on a different armor because you're already wearing the best that's available to you.

What you can do, is grind. You can grind, and grind, and grind, and grind. Grind JP. Get interesting classes, learn powerful spells, and drop Bahamut on Weigraf in front of the windmill, wiping out the entire enemy party in a single swoop. But not Weigraf himself, because naturally, he has powerful equipment that you probably can't steal, and oh did I mention he has innate 50% damage reduction? Because he does. In fact, almost every story enemy does. So many do that it's quite frankly shocking when they don't, and you have to ask yourself, did the developer just forget to give them this ability? Because after running into so many enemies with built-in PhysDefUP and MagDefUP, you just come to assume the worst of everything.

I think that's one of this mod's worst flaws. It has so many tiny annoying design decisions that only serve to inhibit the player in uninteresting ways. The game still uses a fair amount of Knights, but for a different reason: Knights--including your own--come with built-in PhysDefUP and MagDefUP, too. They're just uninteresting walls of HP that reduce all incoming damage by about 60%. They're tooled to have low Faith so you can't burst them down with magic, they just stand there smacking your guys with outdated weapons without giving half a gently caress while you plink at their hundreds of HP doing like 32 damage per hit, and they often have Counter Flood, which coming from a Knight does pathetic, sometimes even single-digit, damage but always has a 20% chance of giving you some irritating status effect. The thing is, when you run into these Knight walls, you're rarely ever really in danger. It just wastes your time as you plink away at them, get Counter Flooded, maybe you need to cast Heal next time Ramza's turn comes around to clear Petrification or whatever.

Once missions start phasing Knights out in favor of Ninjas, Dragoons, etc., it feels like a welcome reprieve. At least, until they start equipping PhysDefUP in their passive slot. Because if there's one thing I like more than punching an ineffective enemy five times to kill it, it's having to punch them ten times to kill it.

that feel when all your friends are dead but you had mp switch

The optional fights. Oh boy. They just... suck. They're awful. There's nothing redeeming about them, they're designed to be somehow both sadistic, but at the same time terribly boring, as possible. The first floor of Colliery has five or six Time Mages. They're all clones of themselves, with the exception of one who wears a Chantage for no reason because she has built-in Always:Reraise anyway. They all have Always:Reraise and Float that isn't tied to their equipment, and they all just spam meteor. This fight isn't hard, and they have crappy HP, but the problem is killing all of them at the same time before just one gets Reraised.

The rest of the floors feature various enemies with boss skills, and a Lv99 Squire who inexplicably reduces all damage to <50, except for Geomancy because due to an oversight it's the one skill in the game that isn't affected by damage-reduction passives because it is considered by the game code to be neither a physical attack, nor a magical attack. I guess I never would've learned this if not for this mod. Not that this is a redeeming feature.

And, of course, they thought it was okay to give Galaxy Stop to an enemy. Fantastic design. Fantastically loving lazy

But finally, I pushed through to fight Altima. Hashmalum, predictably, was built to waste your time: he comes with Damage Split. He's never a threat, but his fight gets extended in a boring and annoying way that it shouldn't be. Altima the Good Body has a bunch of MP and MP Switch; strangely, she actually has <900HP, but she has goddamn thousands of MP so expect to be there for quite some time whittling away at that.

Altima the Perfect Body has even more MP and, of course, just like every other poorly-designed monster in this lovely mod, MP Switch. But this time, she comes with an extra gently caress-you, in that she starts with, I dunno, Wall or something? It can't be dispelled, it reduces all incoming damage to 1, and all you can do is punch her a dozen times to burn it out. It's absolutely banal. I just dropped a bunch of dual-wielded Speed Breaks on her and went hard as a motherfucker. It's not difficult, just unnecessarily, artifically drawn-out, like almost all of the other customized encounters in this mod.

There are actually two ultimate strategies to use against this mod. The first, because it's so powerful, and because so few enemies have a resistance to it, I can only imagine that it's a blind spot to the developer. Either that, or they have a thing for Mustadio. So, Leg Aim. Most bosses--or even just enemies themselves--are immune to Don't Act, but almost everything in this entire game is vulnerable to Don't Move. Leg Aim's hit rate has been buffed tremendously, and the hit chance also gets a multiplicative bonus from Mustadio's Speed. Engineer has the best Speed growth in the entire game, so when paired with Yell and Haste (or Quick, Ramza's Cheer Up now inflicts Quick instead of +Br btw), Mustadio can easily lock down an entire map with 100% accuracy Leg Aims. But surely enemies can still target you? No, the range on guns is so huge that pretty much the only thing that can reach you is Bahamut. No Meteor, no Bio, no Flare 2, no Holy, no NOTHING. Death yes, but Musty's natural Faith is so low that lmao good luck bitch i can't even hit him with my own hastes

Mustadio. Either on purpose or by accident, he is hands-down the most broken character in this mod. Move the gently caress over Orlandu. Can you drop Don't Move on an entire map at 8 range? No, I didn't think so.

The second, is Talk Skill. No joke. Negotiate and Mimic Daravon's success rate is way up. Because it's very hard to tailor a combination of equipment that blocks both Sleep and Stop at the same time, short of just handing out Ribbons (which yes this happens sometimes), you can lock down an entire map with a couple lucky Talk skills.

But don't tell the guy who makes this mod. He'd probably just give all the enemy classes innate Finger Guard.

Why play through a mod you thoroughly dislike? Well, it makes you a better game designer, by teaching you everything that is frustrating and annoying. You learn many things you shouldn't include in games, you can glean all kinds of observations about lack of balance, artificial difficulty, power inflation, etc. The trick is to play an unnecessarily difficult romhack, and then endeavor never to make the same mistakes. It's like learning the personal shortcomings of many heroes and wizards by reading the "Zodiac Brave Story," so maybe it's kind of fitting.

I think this Work History is a lot like LFT. It looks nice on the outside, but :yikes: as hell if you go any further than that.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

cock hero flux posted:

based on how the Sending works I'm going to count Yuna as a mortician, and Rikku was a salvage diver on that Al Bhed ship

In Yuna's case, it depends upon the structure of the Temple of Yevon as an institution. If she belongs to the temple of Yevon as a former acolyte and summoner, and is given payment in return for the services she performs for them, then her pilgrimage and the duties she performs as a part of it count as a job.

Rikku, on the other hand, is not a salvager professionally. Her father is the leader of the Al Bhed, placing her in a similar category as other "royalty" mentioned previously, and she does what she does without payment; Cid likely provides her with spending money, but to say that counts as employment is to say that a child who receives a weekly allowance for completing chores counts as gainfully employed.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I feel like Guardians to a Summoner is a real position and title that bestows certain rights in the Yevon religion

While it does provide certain social benefits, it doesn't appear to grant any special privilege beyond allowing the Guardian to enter the Temple's inner sanctum. This works both ways: the Temple isn't responsible for the Guardian's actions, so a Summoner can choose whoever they please as a Guardian.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Hope becomes the leader of the Academy in XIII-2, so running a weird research/military/government operation is pretty successful compared to the average FF party member, although he isn't playable in XIII-2.

Well, I say successful, but he's also responsible for Alyssa, thinking it would be a great idea to recreate the fal'Cie, and the horrible hellscape that was Academia 400 AF, so he's actually the worst.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

In Yuna's case, it depends upon the structure of the Temple of Yevon as an institution. If she belongs to the temple of Yevon as a former acolyte and summoner, and is given payment in return for the services she performs for them, then her pilgrimage and the duties she performs as a part of it count as a job.

Rikku, on the other hand, is not a salvager professionally. Her father is the leader of the Al Bhed, placing her in a similar category as other "royalty" mentioned previously, and she does what she does without payment; Cid likely provides her with spending money, but to say that counts as employment is to say that a child who receives a weekly allowance for completing chores counts as gainfully employed.

While it does provide certain social benefits, it doesn't appear to grant any special privilege beyond allowing the Guardian to enter the Temple's inner sanctum. This works both ways: the Temple isn't responsible for the Guardian's actions, so a Summoner can choose whoever they please as a Guardian.

See, I don't necessarily think that Rikku fits into the royalty category because Cid is clearly not a monarch and the things we see Rikku doing are not things which fit within the general duties of royalty. The fact that Rikku's father is the de facto leader of the Al Bhed does not seem to have impacted whether she is expected to work. That's just not characteristic of Al Bhed culture given what we see of them. Given her expertise at it(being one of the only 3 party members capable of fighting and working underwater, with the other 2 being professional blitzball players and seen operating that underwater robot thing), I think we can actually infer that Rikku probably does actually do this professionally. Holding your breath for an infinite amount of time seems to be a developed skill in Spira and Rikku is the only person we see who has developed it without being a blitzball player.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

CeallaSo posted:

Quina is... whatever the heck they are.

Quina is the head chef of Alexandria Castle. You can find them in the kitchen near the start of the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Quina is the head chef of Alexandria Castle. You can find them in the kitchen near the start of the game.

That’s a different Qu.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Beginning:

Ending:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, it makes more sense that Quina is the head chef than some random Qu, despite looking and acting more competent than they do all game, since Quina’s whole thing is just ending up god knows where/how.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
come to think of it, they probably just wandered in and started running the kitchen like they do for Eiko later

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I really don't like the idea of that being Quina in the beginning. The entire reason Quina gets sent off to join in Zidane's adventure is to see the world, experience different foods, and discover that there's more than just the local swamp frogs for him to eat. It implies that he's never really left the swamp and doesn't actually know much about food or food preparation. So the idea that he's been commuting to or living in Alexandria as the head chef completely goes against everything his story arc is based on.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

I really don't like the idea of that being Quina in the beginning. The entire reason Quina gets sent off to join in Zidane's adventure is to see the world, experience different foods, and discover that there's more than just the local swamp frogs for him to eat. It implies that he's never really left the swamp and doesn't actually know much about food or food preparation. So the idea that he's been commuting to or living in Alexandria as the head chef completely goes against everything his story arc is based on.

It's in the Ultimania for FF9. Quina joined the staff at Alexandria Castle a month before the events of the game.

Quina was more or less unsatisfied and left the castle shortly after the events at the start of the game, ended up in Lindblum, participated in the Festival of the Hunt (you can find Quina there as well), then wandered back home to the swamp, which is where Zidane & Co cross paths and Quina joins.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 10, 2018

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Varance posted:

It's in the Ultimania for FF9. Quina joined the staff at Alexandria Castle a month before the events of the game.

Quina was more or less unsatisfied and left the castle shortly after the events at the start of the game, ended up in Lindblum, participated in the Festival of the Hunt (you can find Quina there as well), then wandered back home to the swamp, which is where Zidane & Co cross paths and Quina joins.

Fine, but I don't have to like it.

FFIX posted:

[Zidane catches a frog for Quina. Just then, a man in a chef's hat walks over.]

Quale: "You pathetic, Quina. Can't even feed yourself."

[They all go back to Quale's house, deep in the marsh.]

Quale: "Can't master art of eating just chasing frogs, Quina."

Quina: "But, Master, frogs very good! Frogs here best! Better than
Alexandria's."

Quale: "Quina, you in darkness. Need some light. World big place.
Many many foods. Alexandria just one kingdom. You need go out
more, eat other food."

Quina: "Go out into world...? Sound scary. Are there yummier frogs
outside?"

Quale: "Of course! Many good frogs! All Qus love frogs the best.
Eating frogs is key to growth. Qu marshes exist all over the
world. Go eat frogs in other marshes. I promise, you get much
learning. Traveler, please show Quina the world. Anywhere with
good food."

Zidane: "You want me to take him with us?"
R1 --> Why not
R2 --> Forget it

R1 (Quina): "Will I find yummier frogs outside?"

Zidane: "There is plenty of stuff in the world that
tastes better than frogs."

Quina: "Really really!? Okay, I go with you!"

That really makes it sound like all Quina ever does is chase frogs, and even then he's not very good at it. Having him already been traveling around the world and becoming the head chef of the royal family of Alexandria just doesn't jive with a Qu who doesn't seem to know much about food or the world.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

But... that text implies Quina has been to Alexandria before. So it had to have been them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Well, it implies Quina went to Alexandria; not necessarily that Quina was the head chef of Alexandria castle. More importantly, it implies that Quina does not know about food beyond eating frogs from swamps, and that the idea of traveling around and seeing the world is alien and scary to Quina. Hard to imagine it's an easy process to become the head chef for a royal family if you don't know poo poo about the world or food.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
otoh quina does know how to cook, and helps eiko make a great stew. always make more than need. maybe have company

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

Well, it implies Quina went to Alexandria; not necessarily that Quina was the head chef of Alexandria castle. More importantly, it implies that Quina does not know about food beyond eating frogs from swamps, and that the idea of traveling around and seeing the world is alien and scary to Quina. Hard to imagine it's an easy process to become the head chef for a royal family if you don't know poo poo about the world or food.

Fake it until you make it. Works 90% of the time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

otoh quina does know how to cook, and helps eiko make a great stew. always make more than need. maybe have company

I got the impression that was a demonstration of how Quina has grown as a chef and learned about cooking during the trip (during zany off-screen adventures). Because pathetic Quina couldn't even feed him/herself, and didn't know there's more to the art of eating than chasing frogs.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
also, he hasn't been traveling the world--he's been to Alexandria and back, and Quale clearly says it's the world beyond that which Quina needs to explore

all Qus seem like they know the basics of cooking, at least, through the traditions of their tribe. Quina just had a lot more to learn beyond that and thought frogs were the be all end all

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I think it’s more likely that the royal family of Alexandria likes to eat raw swamp frogs.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah maybe Quina just fuckin loves frogs and everybody keeps trying to say "look that's loving gross come with us we'll show you that good food out there exists"

so the whole "better than frogs?" line isn't so much Quina being surprised that food can be better than frogs, just that s/he's a master chef who thinks s/he's tried everything and frogs are her/his favorite, but these people are promising new culinary worlds of delight

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FF9's one great failing is it was developed before the widespread adoption of the they-singular pronoun

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The whole thing just doesn't really make sense. I also don't really like how you never see any other Qus in the game other than Quina and Quale. Are they the only ones? What happened to Quina's parents? It always felt off to me, and it doesn't really help that Quina is such a one note character with no development at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The real mystery is how you say their names. Is it "Q-ween-a"? Is it "Keen-a"? Is it "Queen-a?" Is it "Quail"? Or "Q-wail"? And is it "Q"? Or is it "Q-U"?