Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

nullscan posted:

Is this eat your kimchi 2.0? Stay tuned to find out!

it's definitely not. I'm just trying to find a more productive use of my time and EFL expertise than dunking on twitter CHUDs.

Totally unrelated, but is there any particular national bias against Mormon missionaries? Something that would compel an organization to assume that anyone associating with a purported bigamist might themselves be agents of the LDS church?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mekchu posted:

Did those two annoying Canadians really take their Korean themed YouTube vlogs to Japan in a fit? If so, that's hilarious.

And also posted a manifesto about Japan's superiority to Korea, if I remember right. It was a superb troll.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

And also posted a manifesto about Japan's superiority to Korea, if I remember right. It was a superb troll.

This after raising a shitton of money to open a cafe and get residency visas in Korea via kickstarter about a year before bailing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bugblatter posted:

This after raising a shitton of money to open a cafe and get residency visas in Korea via kickstarter about a year before bailing.

Oh yeah I forgot about that part. :lol: It was all amazing.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/09/251_254895.html

quote:

A man is in custody for allegedly threatening two work colleagues with a large fruit-knife after one of them ignored his offer of a peeled apple.

Busan Nambu Police said the incident happened on Aug. 30. They said the accused man, 38, offered a peeled apple to a colleague.

When the colleague refused, the accused man adopted a "pose to stab him" with a knife 27 centimeters long.

The suspect also allegedly threatened another colleague who came into the office to see the first victim.

"The suspect had thought the two men were those frequently talking behind his back," an investigator said.

Beautiful

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
If it was a Uiseong apple, an attack is absolutely warranted. The only people who refuse Uiseong apples are replicants and devils.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Any recommended travel agents or do you all just look online for flights to Jeju/HK/Taiwan/Japan from Seoul?

edit: Parents are coming to visit, they're big foodies, any recommendations on tours that focus on food?

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 5, 2018

guri
Jun 14, 2001
For Jeju/Seoul I usually just book directly on the airline website -- Usually Jeju Air.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, just become familiar with the local budget carriers like jeju, busan, peach, etc. and buy directly from them. Those airlines won’t show up in like kayak or google flights though, so you’ll have to look at their pages directly.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Y'all got any fancy plans for Chuseok?

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
yes

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Nope! Gonna bum around at home.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Hey Korea goons,
SDL, the company which makes Trados and other translation software, has a position open here in the middle of Taipei, Taiwan for someone "fluent" in Korean. I didn't write this, but as a former Korea goon who jumped ship 4 years ago, this might be interesting for someone who has been in Korea for a while and is looking for something new. I don't know anyone at the company, it just popped up on my LinkedIn feed.

quote:

Job description
Our Korean Content editorial team will be based in Taipei with various levels of seniority including a Manager.

You will live and breathe Korean lifestyle!

Can you write and edit fabulous web content in a fast paced exciting news environment.

Let's get technical/functional:

Excellent writing and editing skills, as well as visual sensibility (photo, video);
Ability to thrive working under continual deadline in a fast paced, constantly-changing, high energy environment;
Able to publish without proof-reader or fact-checker;
Familiar with content management systems, photo editing tools (esp. Photoshop);

Experience and qualifications:

You must have fluent Korean (spoken, reading and written), be located in Taipei;
You must have at least 18 months' experience in writing/editing related functions;
You’ll probably have a proven background in the online media industry with ideally a media major in college/university;
Demonstrated editorial acumen, through story choice, writing style, and headline writing;
Passion for online and multimedia, trending topics, popular culture & the future of online journalism, with demonstrable understanding of current industry standards & techniques, changing internet technology, journalism trends and competitors;
Comprehensive understanding of what drives user engagement on the web, mobile and in apps;
Demonstrated ability to work quickly and prioritize in the moment among competing responsibilities;

What are you waiting for?

Put your online web skills to good use and send SDL your details so we can meet you and get you ready for the next step in your professional career working with two major multinational corporations on a big platform with which you can get first hand news about anything popular in Korea, about K-POP, 송중기, 이광수 or anyone you like in Korea!

Join us and start your truly fashion강남 style!

Applications should be sent to: Isabella He<ihe@sdl.com>

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

quote:

Join us and start your truly fashion강남 style!

Burn this corporation to the ground tyvm.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

nullscan posted:

Burn this corporation to the ground tyvm.

They're hiring goons, so I don't think they'll need help doing just that.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Welp we waited until the last minute to mail a package for Chuseok from the US. Sorry inlaws!

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010
Hey Korea goons, I'm going to be arriving in the country mid-November to teach English at a hagwon in Sejong. I've already been made aware of KakaoTalk, but I had some general questions about cell phones. It appears that the vast majority of online resources recommend purchasing an unlocked phone here in the States that will play nice with the Korean system and then buy a SIM card/phone plan after arrival, etc. Is this still the case, and if so are there any obvious wrong choices in picking an unlocked phone to bring? Any must-have apps that are exclusive to Apple or Android systems?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the weeks and months ahead, so thanks for the informative OP.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
samsung is by and large preferred for ease of use in korea but many people have apple phones as well so there’s not really a wrong choice between the two. i brought an unlocked iphone 6 and it works fine still, two years in. there doesn’t seem to be anything i’m really missing except like samsung pay, because apple pay isn’t accepted anywhere. (i thrived in japan though, lol)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
USA is actually a pretty good country to buy an unlocked iPhone

Apple compass does a comparison of prices of Apple products across the world and America is great. So do purchase an apple and be done with it.

Samsung actually have it’s local domestic market subsidize Samsung as an economic policy and pride. So you actually luck out from buying an unlocked samsung/lg phone in America as well.

global supply chain is actually based on USA market pricing so Americans benefit from it greatly.

LEVERAGE YOUR NEO GEO POLITICAL ECONOMIC PRIVILEGE

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Logicspren posted:

Any must-have apps that are exclusive to Apple or Android systems?

There’s no real platform exclusive apps to worry about. Just be sure to use one of the korean map apps when you get here (naver maps is fine and has English ui) because both google and Apple maps are basically useless in korea.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Google map is alright tbh. Or just use Naver (or T map which is made by SKT). Apple's map is ok for general directions tbh.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kakaos Metro app is good for subways, as is the Kakao Bus app so get those. Metro is in English, Bus is in Korean but maybe you can change the language.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Google is better than it was but Naver is a lot more thorough, especially outside the major cities. I think any unlocked modern phone works in Korea these days.

KT is generally the recommended choice of cell providers for foreigners, due to their international stores and English customer service lines. They have a pretty good unlimited LTE plan. All of the providers have perfect high speed coverage across the peninsula though.

You’ll likely have to wait until your ARC is processed to get a regular plan, so consider grabbing one of KT’s one-month data sims at the airport to tide you over. They only sell them in the ports and one location in Hongdae, so best to do it when you arrive and save a trip.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Before you buy phone in USA, make sure it supports bandwidth/wavelength in Korea.

http://www.tworld.co.kr/normal.do?serviceId=S_CMIS0075&viewId=V_CENT6024&ifaqId=1606010048
T world is SKT’s brand name for phone/broadband/tv btw.

Also make sure your phone is ‘unlocked’. If you buy from mobile carriers (or get discount with mobile carrier), then the chance is that your phone is locked to that carrier only. You’ll need to check if your phone can be unlocked or not before you make your phone purchase.

If you’re buying from Apple just pay full price for an empty phone without pre-assigned carrier. Usually Apple’s ‘blank’ phones are unlocked already when you buy.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
A few years ago we got a green tea cake from a desert place for a birthday party. We visited that place again recently and as we left the lady behind the counter showed us her phone. It had a Google translated message saying thank you for buying those green tea cakes a long time ago.

It was a really nice moment. Very sweet people.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I was just in Korea for work! Stayed at/visited this place in Chuncheon:
https://ifworlddesignguide.com/entry/130599-data-center-gak-bi

Pretty awesome -- I've never been to one of these campus-like datacenters before. Apparently there are some goats living on the property, and they own a mountain nearby?
I'd post pics of the outside, but we were specifically requested to not post any pictures to social media. Inside the datacenter itself, photography was strictly forbidden. It's pretty much a bunker, my guess is there's an awful lot of prepper-style... preparations? that they didn't show us during the official tour.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Take your regular data center paranoia then put it a few miles from the DMZ. Yeah, it'll get a bit "preppy".

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Popped collar Abercrombie polos everywhere.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Bugblatter posted:

Popped collar Abercrombie polos everywhere.
I thought only handsome Caucasian males were allowed to wear it.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Happy goonsgiving y'all. Make sure to do somethin crazy.

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010
Well, I've been settled into my apartment here in Korea and things are going reasonably well, but I've run into some issues with banking. My hagwon has a deal with Kookmin Bank that requires all their teachers to open an account with the bank, which is where my paycheck will be deposited monthly. However, the Korean banking system is full of some really arcane systems dealing with security so I'm struggling to understand how to make things work.

First, I managed to get the security certificate issued from the bank website for my PC and my smartphone (Which thankfully works in Korea, thanks for the advice). That process took most of an afternoon because the KB Bank English-language website is only really half-translated.

Second, I specifically asked the bank to enable my check/debit card for international purchases because I want to be able to buy things like games on Steam, etc. Unfortunately my trip to the bank to set up the account was with a Korean helper who had a tenuous grasp of English and despite my attempts to confirm that it would work, as it turns out my card is not able to be used for international purchases. I called KB's English helpline and they told me I need a copy of my contract along with my ARC and Passport to enable international purchases, which is quite frustrating.

Overall the experience has been less than helpful, especially considering that there are no English-speaking tellers at the local branch and I'm essentially relying on the English helpline to translate requests for me if I go into the branch alone. Can anybody give me any help/guidance/suggestions to figure this situation out? I have been told that KEB/Hana Bank is much more friendly for expats living in Korea, but that wasn't an option based on my hagwon's rules.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just change your location on Steam and use your phone bill to buy games or something.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's been a few years since I got my KEB/Hana accounts set up, but iirc it they had the same policy where I couldn't get a card that worked outside Korea until my account had an ARC on file, so that's not a KB specific thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's a lot easier to just use your Korean card for domestic stuff and US or wherever card for international, plus a KEB EasyOne account for remittance, and never have to deal with Korean banking again in person or on the internet. Do everything from an ATM.

Though when dealing with Chinese banks I was deeply nostalgic for Korean ones.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I know there is the goon kakao group and all, but I can't ever stay in it because the 100+ messages a day cause me to always feel like I need to read and respond to every one of them and oh god there is never enough time. Still, I'll post this here in the hopes that someone can help me out.

I'm doing some phonological research on Korean phoneme acquisition and need to find a couple participants. Specifically, I need native North American English speakers who has lived in Korea for less than 1 year and is in Seoul. If you (or anyone you know) fits those two requirements and don't mind taking part in some, frankly quite boring, research, I'd be super grateful. Not only that, I'd pay you for your time.

Basically the research would take about 30 minutes and all you'd have to do is listen to a poo poo load of Korean consonant-vowel pairs. For a third of them you'd be asked to map the Korean consonant sound to an English consonant sound and give it a goodness rating based on how well they match. For the other two thirds of the test you'd just have to identify the sound you hear either using Korean (best!) or English (if you have to). The answers you provide will be used in my research, so there is a (minuscule) chance that it could be published. No personal information is necessary or asked of you, though, so it should hopefully be of no issue for you.

I'd be willing to come meet you provided it's not way, way far out of my way, administer the test, give you your bribe, and leave you alone if you don't feel like hanging out with some random weirdo from the Internet.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

astr0man posted:

It's been a few years since I got my KEB/Hana accounts set up, but iirc it they had the same policy where I couldn't get a card that worked outside Korea until my account had an ARC on file, so that's not a KB specific thing.

You will need to fill out a form confirming you want to do international purchases. The form is fairly simple, and you will need to provide a stateside address. Whether or not the teller will know how to do all this is going to be a very ykmv* experience, and it might take anywhere from ten minutes to hour+ as such. If you have a Korean phone (it sounds like you do), 120 can provide a translator; I don't think it's supposed to be used that way but whatever. With Nonghyup, I actually had to get a specific debit card (NH Global unlimited) with my account because I wanted to be able to make international purchases.

It is a pain in the rear end, and some services (looking at PSN) still won't accept it, but for 99.9% of things I don't even worry at all.

*your korea may vary

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

USMC_Karl posted:

I know there is the goon kakao group and all, but I can't ever stay in it because the 100+ messages a day cause me to always feel like I need to read and respond to every one of them and oh god there is never enough time. Still, I'll post this here in the hopes that someone can help me out.

I'm doing some phonological research on Korean phoneme acquisition and need to find a couple participants. Specifically, I need native North American English speakers who has lived in Korea for less than 1 year and is in Seoul. If you (or anyone you know) fits those two requirements and don't mind taking part in some, frankly quite boring, research, I'd be super grateful. Not only that, I'd pay you for your time.

Basically the research would take about 30 minutes and all you'd have to do is listen to a poo poo load of Korean consonant-vowel pairs. For a third of them you'd be asked to map the Korean consonant sound to an English consonant sound and give it a goodness rating based on how well they match. For the other two thirds of the test you'd just have to identify the sound you hear either using Korean (best!) or English (if you have to). The answers you provide will be used in my research, so there is a (minuscule) chance that it could be published. No personal information is necessary or asked of you, though, so it should hopefully be of no issue for you.

I'd be willing to come meet you provided it's not way, way far out of my way, administer the test, give you your bribe, and leave you alone if you don't feel like hanging out with some random weirdo from the Internet.

Check your PMs

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

astr0man posted:

So the strange part is that I already had my ARC, it arrived 8 days after I applied for it, which I was really not expecting. I called the KB English helpline back and a different customer service rep explained that they don't need a copy of my contract, rather I need to get a form from my employer called a 재직증명서 (Something like an employment verification letter?) to unlock the check card for international websites. I'll ask my coworkers if they can get one for me so I can go to a branch tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Would I be able to get an invite to the Kakao group? ID is DylanT. About to come and study in Seoul for a month - a little nervous, but this thread has been a great read.