Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is PDS *that* good or did it just get notoriety for being impossible to play easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

from what i remember from when i kicked it around for an hour or two years and years and years ago it was not actually that good, but it had a novel spin on the typical jrpg menu based combat and more critically was a straight up jrpg available on the sega saturn which itself was pretty much a novelty outside of utterly trash generic stuff like uh... albert odyssey

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is PDS *that* good or did it just get notoriety for being impossible to play easily

Not really, it hasn't aged well at all. Released at the very end of a failed console that barely anyone bought. If it's going to be remade then it needs to be remade from the ground up, but a faithful recreation of the pacing, gameplay mechanics, etc. just wouldn't hold up today. Saga literally has a 10+ minute CGI cutscene at the very start because reasons, it's just an absurd game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

Saga literally has a 10+ minute CGI cutscene at the very start because reasons, it's just an absurd game.

as an MGS fan you aren't exactly discouraging me from playing this game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how it's aged but one of the main things with PDS is it's really unique. It does a good job combining rail shooting and rpg combat into a battle system that was really cool and has never really been attempted again. There just isn't anything else like it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Panzer Dragoon game i'm really obsessed with is Orta. The Xbox One X version is native 4K and 60fps, and it's really beautiful.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

panzer dragoon jorta

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samuringa posted:

Well, yes, no one should, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

panzer dragoon jorts

preorder bonus

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Ahahaha no. Its an interesting and semi unique combat with a lot of love put into its weird world down to the kickass soundtrack being sung in its made up language but its also super duper dated and short.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Barudak posted:

Ashen is Dark Souls on a budget which it turns out I do not want to play. Art style is indie textureless and boy does that kill any interest in exploring near on immediately as you traverse the land of untextured greyness.

If however you are jonesing for more dark souls so bad you already beat Lords of the Fallen why not you addict.

I dunno, this looks pretty great to me?

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1071242011519401985
https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1071975665094848512

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the thing that treated my mental health was pills which is probably not a very exciting message to make a video game about

Au contraire mon frere, Dr. Mario

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Celeste's message is that platforming is challenging but rewarding. I skipped every cutscene

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well that sucks

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

Celeste's message is that platforming is challenging but rewarding. I skipped every cutscene

that's what the game is about when you watch the cutscenes too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If from software can't even make a good clone of dark souls 1 I don't know why western indie devs keep trying

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

that's what the game is about when you watch the cutscenes too

I was trolling, I did watch the cutscenes. The feather bit was neat, and the way they merged Narrative and Gameplay into ludo-narrative harmony in World 7 was clever and made the game more fun. Kudos to indie treasure of the year Celeste

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

:same:

(except that I'm not trolling)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Don't troll friend

Anyways, there's been a further development
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1072121573371510786

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

If from software can't even make a good clone of dark souls 1 I don't know why western indie devs keep trying

Demon's Souls remaster when

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

axelblaze posted:

Don't troll friend

That's a no from me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

axelblaze posted:

Don't troll friend

:yikes:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

:agreed:

i have never heard of that ashen game before today but aside from the toon shading it seems like such a 1:1 dark souls ripoff it actually really bums me out. supergiant's new game may be generic roguelike dungeon crawler where you die and are revived ad infinitum number 308958 but at least they're trying to do their own thing with it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sonic's well-defined quads and calves disturb me greatly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Celeste's message was that apparently I'm just not into 2D platformers anymore

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
didn't people like The Surge or was that just due to lack of options

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Bit of column A, bit of column B. It does some cool things that are new for the genre, but your time is probably better spent playing one of the DS games or Bloodborne.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The Surge falls into the trap of thinking being hard is the primary point and thing to take away from the souls games, and as such is an obnoxious slog that has some cool ideas.

I did get it for free though, so I only stuck with it for a couple of hours before shelving it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sonic's well-defined quads and calves disturb me greatly

They’re Sonic’s Alita eyes

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

All these video game characters are a lot furrier than I was expecting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's the best Souslike I tried bc it tried to do something different with the limb targeting stuff. Unfortunately there are 4 enemies in the game and the bosses suck and the environments all look the same. Although I heard the DLC was better about that on all points, so I'm interested in Surge 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every single button in Ashen is identical to Dark Souls except Y/Triangle which is a dedicated jump button and if more platforming is the thing you thought the souls games were missing this is literally the perfect game for you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

from what i remember from when i kicked it around for an hour or two years and years and years ago it was not actually that good, but it had a novel spin on the typical jrpg menu based combat and more critically was a straight up jrpg available on the sega saturn which itself was pretty much a novelty outside of utterly trash generic stuff like uh... albert odyssey

the sega saturn wasn't an awful system, it's just that the vast majority of its library that was worth owning was japan-exclusive. it got a lot of arcade-perfect ports of cult classic shmups with a number of added enhancements like radiant silvergun's story mode, and in japan there was actually a decently big number of rpgs and poo poo that took advantage of its 2D capabilities really well, including some really noteworthy deep cuts from sega themselves like wachenroder, a german industrial-themed srpg with some guest music done by ian mcdonald of king crimson, because apparently ian mcdonald of king crimson was just kind of bumming around doing music in japan at the time

it's just, they completely botched the system's release in the west in the worst way physically possible which meant basically no western third parties bothered with it and no retailers wanted to stock it because sega had completely hosed a number of them over on the announcement and either they hadn't recceived stock yet or didn't know that stock was supposed to be selling right then and there. then you have the president of sega of the us at the time trying to drop the sega saturn entirely and jump straight to the dreamcast and rejecting tons of localizations of noteworthy japanese saturn games and that's why you have a system where in the west your only real options for games are panzer dragoon and mr. bones

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ashen sounds neat but EDF EDF EDF

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Does anyone know where I can find a good Night in the Woods art print?? The official store has some good shirts but otherwise :shrug:

Dear anyone making a video game with merch: Please have a decent poster or print with the whole cast. I don't want anyone left out.

I found a great little print that had Mae and Gregg but it didn't have Bea or Angus! Unacceptable

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best sega saturn localization is shining wisdom because sega of us' refusal to localize it ended up getting the localization tossed off to working designs and the result was a localization that completely rewrote two characters from one of them explicitly not being interested in the other, to both of them being a loving couple because someone at working designs really wanted to ship that i guess

and then a while later sega of europe released a completely different localization that, did not have that

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/jikes/status/1071086147059810304?s=19

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nioh is the best Souls clone probably

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Nioh is the best Souls clone probably

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Still waiting for that anime vampires souls game to come out. Can't remember the name of it