Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Got knocked out by a 6-7 team with 300 less points on the season than me in one league. 8 team playoffs are wack as gently caress.

My other league I'm somehow only down by 5.2 with my Sebass Janikicker vs opp's Kyle Rudolph, but I don't expect a comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

After dropping Cooper in week 5 he's now put two 40+ point games against me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dkj posted:

After dropping Cooper in week 5 he's now put two 40+ point games against me.

Should have pulled a Reggie McKenzie

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Azhais posted:

I used to be in at least that many. I've dropped back to one

Alfalfa posted:

I was in 11 this year. Think Zauper is in 14 dynasty leagues. Not if he does any redraft as well.

Doesn't it take the fun out of it for you or no? I am in 5, I give my money league and work league most my attention and I kinda passively manage the other 3. Can't imagine how I would handle anything more than what I am currently at and will probably drop down to only a couple next year. :effort:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

weird Asian candy posted:

Doesn't it take the fun out of it for you or no? I am in 5, I give my money league and work league most my attention and I kinda passively manage the other 3. Can't imagine how I would handle anything more than what I am currently at and will probably drop down to only a couple next year. :effort:

Yes, ergo why I'm down to one

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm currently in 3 weeks and I feel like it's one too many. Assuming both goon leagues I'm in are still active next year I'll just stick with those and drop the last one which I don't care about.

It's kind of nice to have a second team so you can "well at least" at yourself when one of them has a bad week.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
:smug: Scored 174 in the goon money league (normal HPPR with no bonuses and 9 starting slot), despite no player scoring more than 29 :smug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The big issues I ended up having were

1) I just didn't have enough time between 11am and the 12pm kickoff to review every single team to make sure everyone was playing
2) As kind of the other extreme on Quiet's comment, with that many teams I just didn't care about any of them since it was pretty much assured that one team's success would come at the expense of a blowout loss on another
3) It complete removed any real interest in paying attention to how games or players were going since there were just too goddamned many to care about

If I didn't vaguely enjoy football it wouldn't be an issue. I used to be in a ton of fantasy baseball too (and I actively dislike baseball) and that was fine since it was just a pile of stats to scan over. But in football that many teams also killed my interest in the sport in general just due to massive burnout

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Well to be fair the majority of them are dynasty leagues with 12+ teams so there isn’t a ton of having to waiver wire hunt or pick a guy up to cover a bye week. Those rosters are built and tweaked year round so it’s minor adjustments when season is actually happening.

I’ve done 5+ redraft leagues before and that’s crazy, killed all my time, and sucked all the fun out of the actual season for me.

Next year I’ll do 3 redraft leagues (my 11 year old league, goon beer league, and my father-in-law league), and then 4 dynasty leagues where I basically have those rosters memorized and spend more time during the off-season than the actual season.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Azhais posted:

The big issues I ended up having were

1) I just didn't have enough time between 11am and the 12pm kickoff to review every single team to make sure everyone was playing
2) As kind of the other extreme on Quiet's comment, with that many teams I just didn't care about any of them since it was pretty much assured that one team's success would come at the expense of a blowout loss on another
3) It complete removed any real interest in paying attention to how games or players were going since there were just too goddamned many to care about

If I didn't vaguely enjoy football it wouldn't be an issue. I used to be in a ton of fantasy baseball too (and I actively dislike baseball) and that was fine since it was just a pile of stats to scan over. But in football that many teams also killed my interest in the sport in general just due to massive burnout

I'm in a bunch of leagues, almost all dynasty, and have found that helps for all three of your points. I've got my sets of players I like better than some vague consensus value, and other players I like less than consensus. So most of my teams have at least a handful of players in common. E.g., I root for Keenan Allen and Stefon Diggs and against Antonio Brown and McCaffrey basically everywhere. Doing dynasty also means the teams are more meaningful to me, they're ones I drafted a few years ago, made big trades, built up through rookie drafts, not just a team that I drafted 3 months ago and will completely disappear in another week.

It does take a bit to set lineups, but for me that usually means checking in Wednesday (at work :D) and setting lineups for the week based on matchups, removing anyone already declared out, that kinda thing. Then briefly check NFL.com/inactives before Thursday game and for longer before Sunday kickoffs, note anyone ruled out that I probably roster somewhere, and do a last check of lineups.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

9 leagues? Good lord. I'm in 5 and I can barely manage! Isn't there someone here who is in 11?

:negative:

Actually in ten leagues. I just won't know if I made the playoffs until tonight. I probably could've worded that better.

It doesn't bother me, because I'm in a bunch of different leagues. I also don't see much of a difference in multiple redraft leagues.

My leagues break down as

Tier one

1) BML dynasty auction - My most important league because it has the worst players and biggest prize pool. Only once missed out on money.

2) $60 friend redraft league - Just joined this because a co-worker needed a sub and he knows I write about it. Seemed like a good chance at easy money.

3) $30 work league - Casual league. A lot of people who love fantasy people and a good majority are bad at it. Once again, seemed like easy money.

4) Goon Blountes and Fortes dynasty - $25 buy in. Been rebuilding this team for years and if Cousins sucks tonight, I'll make my first playoff.

These all have payouts, so they get my focus.

Tier 2

5) Goon Fish Bowl - fun concept league. No trades and waiver wire is so bare as to be non-existent. Pretty easy to manage, although judging by the slack-assery of some of you, maybe I'm wrong. :v:

6) Goon All-IDP league - 12 teams, 11 starting spots. If you like IDP, this is fun. Just got bumped because I made every wrong decision a man can make, despite having one of the best rosters!

7) FA Experts league - 2 QB auction league. Toughest competition. My only playoff whiff.

These don't have money, but they are fun, competitive and have unique concepts to keep me engaged

Tier 3 -

Comedian Friends league- 14 man league with insane settings. Don't really care. Only in it because friends are in it. Almost everyone is terrible. I do it to let them know how bad they are.

College friends league - normal settings, same stupidity as above. Same reasoning. Also only time I get to talk to some of them.

Yahoo public league - I just do this for easy access to Yahoo fantasy match up ratings.

So it's not quite as bad as it would seem. Most of my redraft rosters tend to look the same, because I don't avoid players I drafted in other leagues. If I think someone is gonna be great, I don't worry about owning too many shares. This makes my middle rounds mostly identical.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I, for one, would like to see Thielen get -10 just so the #1 seed in my league loses to the lowest seed.

Also I can't imagine managing more than 3 leagues competently. I work too much. I am looking for a BML next year though I think.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I, for one, would like to see Thielen get -10 just so the #1 seed in my league loses to the lowest seed.

Also I can't imagine managing more than 3 leagues competently. I work too much. I am looking for a BML next year though I think.

It's not that difficult unless the leagues use different scoring settings or wildly different rosters. You already know what players you like whether you're in 3 leagues or 15, so drafting and waiver wire is all the same there's just more of it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

dkj posted:

It's not that difficult unless the leagues use different scoring settings or wildly different rosters. You already know what players you like whether you're in 3 leagues or 15, so drafting and waiver wire is all the same there's just more of it.

Exactly

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Do the Waiver Wire Test. When you're running waivers on Tuesday, pinpoint the moment it becomes a chore, then do one fewer than that many leagues the next year.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Got owned by lesser teams in the playoffs per usual. I'm sure I'll put up 170 points in the consolation the next two weeks as usual.

Eagles lost.

Football over for the year for me outside of dynasty stuff. Pack it up. Weird year.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Allright, well, I officially would have won if not for Goff's tremendous fuckup. I could have started Dak Prescott and won.

Goff was solidly DSYS. He was a stud, and so I did not sit him. The Chicago defense was merely studlier.

There is no shame in this death.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

I picked up Zay Jones on like, Friday

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
I am sad about my work league. All I needed was Amari Cooper to score less than 44 points :(

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
My only path to playoff victory was to have started Alshon over Justin Jackson and Seahawks D (vs Min) over Steelers D (vs Oak). The Alshon/Justin Jackson thing felt like a real toss up to me and I ended up going with the hot hand since the Eagles have been so miserable lately. And there is no world where Seahawks over Steelers was the correct choice. So yep, fantasy football sucks. My opponent would've had more right to grouse had he lost, he didn't start Derrick Henry who was his clear best flex option.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
On the left and definitely gonna get my rear end handed to me in this semifinal. I'm squaring up against the #1 seed who went 12-1 this season. I have no particularly good options for RB2 anymore and it hurts a little.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I won my matchup on Dalvin Cook's garbage time TD. Opponent had Kittle so i was lucky to escape esp after Cam Newton's dud. i think I'm starting Baker Mayfield this week over Cam.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m in the finals (short season) but now my RB is fuuuucked. My current RBs are Ingram, Ekeler, and Crowell. Both Ekeler and Crowell are listed as questionable with a good chance of not playing since they play Thursday and Saturday and won’t have the full week to rest. My opponent is probably the most informed guy in the league and is well aware of where I’m hurting AND he’s ahead of me on the Waiver so my first RB pickup (probably Henry???) is going to get sniped. Meaning I have to go for.... Nyheim Hines or Latavius Murray.

On the plus side I picked the Browns defense last week and they will certainly kick rear end against the Broncos!!!

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 11, 2018

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Cam has the shoulder injury so it may not be a bad idea.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

I won my matchup on Dalvin Cook's garbage time TD. Opponent had Kittle so i was lucky to escape esp after Cam Newton's dud. i think I'm starting Baker Mayfield this week over Cam.

I'm thinking the same except Dak, I just feel like it might be getting a little too cute at this stage of the year

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thinking about picking up Isaiah McKenzie and dropping Adam Humphries on my deeper dynasty roster. Anyone like McKenzies upside over Humphries?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
^ I'd rather have Humphries tbh. DJax will be gone next year.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I'm thinking the same except Dak, I just feel like it might be getting a little too cute at this stage of the year

Yeah, it's a narrow line to walk. I am also considering dropping Brate for Ian Thomas but Brate is a TD machine. The problem is, he is solely reliant on TDs so if he doesn't score he will probably get me all of like 1.7 points for the week. Decisions decisions.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

^ I'd rather have Humphries tbh. DJax will be gone next year.

Would owning Evans as well influence the choice for you?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Would owning Evans as well influence the choice for you?

Yes. I am not a fan of rostering 2 players of the same position on the same team (unless it was like first half Thielen/Diggs) so in that case, that would probably elevate McKenzie over Humphries for me.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I'm playing Josh Allen over Cam this week in the fishbowl because gently caress it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Yes. I am not a fan of rostering 2 players of the same position on the same team (unless it was like first half Thielen/Diggs) so in that case, that would probably elevate McKenzie over Humphries for me.

Thanks should have mentioned that in my initial post.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Thanks should have mentioned that in my initial post.

No worries my friend :hfive:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Question of my own. Would you rather have Brate or Ian Thomas? TE is really my only question mark right now. While Brate has been scoring, with next to no receptions and yards if he does not score he makes me nervous. Thomas against the Saints, in what should be a high scoring affair makes me feel a bit more comfortable but he has only been doing it for two weeks.

Thoughts?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Seattle defense really came through for me this week, now to prepare for the awesome Week 16/17 playoffs

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Question of my own. Would you rather have Brate or Ian Thomas? TE is really my only question mark right now. While Brate has been scoring, with next to no receptions and yards if he does not score he makes me nervous. Thomas against the Saints, in what should be a high scoring affair makes me feel a bit more comfortable but he has only been doing it for two weeks.

Thoughts?

Leaning towards Ian Thomas. I have had penciled as a great dynasty stash for TE and hes starting to emerge now that Cams having shoulder issues (him and Curtis Samuel).

Baltimore's secondary is pretty tough, but I'm not sure if they do well against TEs so I could see a case for Brate though.

I'd say Ian has the floor, Brate has the ceiling... maybe.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

This should be a pretty epic semifinals matchup. I'm on the left.

The other side of the bracket has been hit hard by injuries, so the winner here will be the odds on favorite for the championship.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Leaning towards Ian Thomas. I have had penciled as a great dynasty stash for TE and hes starting to emerge now that Cams having shoulder issues (him and Curtis Samuel).

Baltimore's secondary is pretty tough, but I'm not sure if they do well against TEs so I could see a case for Brate though.

I'd say Ian has the floor, Brate has the ceiling... maybe.

Would you just stick with Brate? I don't really need to make a move...Brate HAS been scoring but it just worries me if he doesn't score. At least Thomas, seemingly, is going to get me PPR and yards.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Would you just stick with Brate? I don't really need to make a move...Brate HAS been scoring but it just worries me if he doesn't score. At least Thomas, seemingly, is going to get me PPR and yards.

Since its Ppr and playoff time I'd probably go with Ian Thomas based on the targets he got last week. I doubt he gets 11 again, but he should get at least the 4 Brate got plus a few extra

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Since its Ppr and playoff time I'd probably go with Ian Thomas based on the targets he got last week. I doubt he gets 11 again, but he should get at least the 4 Brate got plus a few extra

Kinda what I am thinking as well. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kinda what I am thinking as well. Thanks!

No prob! :hfive: