Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuo posted:

Speaking of turn signals: am I the only one who hates the gimmicky animated LED turn signals many cars have nowadays?

Yup.

Not only looks like an affectation, I am sure they are less effective than a single flashing light.

Elmnt80 posted:

Almost any modern car uses some form of body control module to do das blinkin lightzen. Its most likely down to some obscure law restricting what can be used for blinkers.

Relating to the above, I am sure I read somewhere those animated turn signals are legal because they are considered a cluster of individual lights, each of which blinks according to the rules.

Which does mean that if a single LED fails, then it counts as a traffic offence/test failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Blue On Blue posted:

Are those.... halogen headlights??

Its 2018 - 2019 for christ sake

They are even developing new halogens, like the H18 bulb.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

68 tbird had animated signals. It is hilarious to see how complicated that system is.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Colostomy Bag posted:

68 tbird had animated signals. It is hilarious to see how complicated that system is.

What, this?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
On the Nissans, they used a little cam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChH--ndoofc

I assume the t-bird does something similar because it says "turn signal flasher and motor."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

wallaka posted:

What, this?

Heh thanks. But can't touch the vacuum diagram on a FD RX-7. Where in the middle the engineer basically said "gently caress it."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sometimes, I get a bit frustrated with AI

I don't know what arbitrary over-complicated poo poo is loving awesome to us and what arbitrary over-complicated poo poo is abhorrent.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It doesn't matter.

It is what just suits us at the time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It goes whichever way the first few replies go

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
AI always talk about cool manual brown wagons or personal equivalents and I'm always like "that car sucks though?". I've had people oggle stupid poo poo like a Plymouth Voyager, which I rode around in for years, and laugh at how completely wrong they are about how cool they would be to own.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

um excuse me posted:

AI always talk about cool manual brown wagons or personal equivalents and I'm always like "that car sucks though?". I've had people oggle stupid poo poo like a Plymouth Voyager, which I rode around in for years, and laugh at how completely wrong they are about how cool they would be to own.

Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

It goes whichever way the first few replies go

And then swaps sides on the next page

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Sometimes, I get a bit frustrated with AI

I don't know what arbitrary over-complicated poo poo is loving awesome to us and what arbitrary over-complicated poo poo is abhorrent.

Is the end result something that goes fast, is loud or explodes?

If the answer to any of those is 'yes' then it is awesome.

Indicators do not do any of those, so they are abhorrent.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

I was marveling at a first gen Honda Odyssey the other day. It seemed so antiquated to see a reasonably sized minivan in 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

I was marveling at a first gen Honda Odyssey the other day. It seemed so antiquated to see a reasonably sized minivan in 2018

I think most of us would stand in awe of a 1st gen Honda Odyssey.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I think the sequential turn signals on my Mustang are cool and I don't care what that says about me.

The puddle lamps that shine a pony logo on the ground however are embarrassing as heck and I want to disconnect them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Swap in a batman symbol.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cock and balls.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I just wish I could get some plain puddle lamps but noooo the endless aftermarket of chrome red white and blue horseshit for this car can't support something like that.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

spog posted:

Cock and balls.

One side the sac, other side the head. Run pink lights connecting them under the car. "The gently caress is that?", they ask.
"Look down", you reply.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
in the future we'll all be riding around like morohoshi

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
But look how cool a sequential turn signal motor is! Clever innovation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ox_1lC_5K8

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Imagine if Volkswagen designed something like this.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

16 computers all of which would be full of coolant after a few years?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Galler posted:

16 computers all of which would be full of coolant after a few years?

You're making a big claim about the plastics not disintegrating thereby allowing the coolant to drain.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OVmF6Nsf77Q

Wait for it (couldn't find the Chinese multi-hammer version).

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Otteration posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OVmF6Nsf77Q

Wait for it (couldn't find the Chinese multi-hammer version).

Seems.... quiet.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Grakkus posted:

It's possible to go too far the other way though. My 80's french car has no temp gauge at all, just a warning light that is known in enthusiast circles as the "you're hosed" light, as if it lights up you're already in engine damage territory. Fun! :v:

Behold.

You get only a speedo and fuel gauge. Everything else has a dummy light.

1970s Ford Granada (U.S. version) is terrible car stuff.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

um excuse me posted:

I drove a Voyager from junior year of high school through graduating college. People made fun of me, but I could carry more passengers than any of my friends and had a couch for my dorm room.

Some days I miss that car. Because I have brain damage.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Behold.

You get only a speedo and fuel gauge. Everything else has a dummy light.

1970s Ford Granada (U.S. version) is terrible car stuff.

I used to have an '86 Delta 88 in high school, much like the below example. Speedo, fuel gauge, and acres of idiot lights.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I could carry more passengers than any of my friends

That sounds terrible, more chance of actually having to drive people around.

Much better for someone else to own the practical car.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

dissss posted:

But like being the kid with the hot sibling, you'd be included socially if just for that and no other reason.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Imagined posted:

But like being the kid with the hot sibling, you'd be included socially if just for that and no other reason.

I had a Chevy Astro with no rear bench. That thing would hold at least six kegs, ten if you wanted to get silly and start belting them into the captain's chairs. And nobody pulls over an Astro driving around, unlike a pickup truck with ten kegs in the tray.

It was absolutely the most practical and least sexy car I've ever owned. When the motor blew up, I "upgraded" to a same-model-year S10 with a camper shell. All of the same benefits, with two fewer seats and no ability to actually put other humans inside legally if that had ever come up.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I had a Ford Aerostar as my first car because I wanted to use it for my side gig as a building super while going to college. In retrospect that thing sucked and was the death of my social life. I should have bought a Camaro or something

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dissss posted:

I've never had any trouble saying no and my friends knew it. :butt:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think most of us would stand in awe of a 1st gen Honda Odyssey.

What's really fun is seeing a first-gen CR-V next to a new one. It's almost literally doubled in size, and is almost the polar opposite in terms of simplicity.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

What's really fun is seeing a first-gen CR-V next to a new one. It's almost literally doubled in size, and is almost the polar opposite in terms of simplicity.

Yeah. Hell today's "mid-size" trucks dwarf the big ones back in the day.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Found something far too terrible for just the craigslist thread.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/d/1980-volvo-242dl-sport-2dr/6735254611.html

SEVENTY-FIVE HUNDRED REAL AMERICAN DOLLARS

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I kind of like the front view but the rest of it is pretty gnarly :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of the scoop that just passes right through.