Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bigass Moth posted:

I’d be worried about Jeff saying “sorry, too late.”

He let Ben play an idol before people voted in HHH. I think he doesn't mind going off script if it means 'good' TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I keep forgetting Erik Reichenbach's stuff.

Last Week (Alec and Carl voted out)

This week (Gabby voted out)

Two hours of great content including Christian's amazing immunity challenge win. "I know." Just draws Wonder Woman with nothing survivor related based on a single inconsequential line.

Next week apes Schultz.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 9, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Schultz gag is good and apt at least*. Did I miss the wonder woman line though? Was that the Alison reference? But that doesn't even look like Alison?

* and that looks like neither Gabby NOR Lucy...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mike referred to Allison as Wonder Woman.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Zesty posted:

You just wait for Christian to win for people to come out calling the game rigged in this very thread.

To be fair the soldier guys win was pretty outrageous . If I'm remembering correctly he just got life line after life line thrown at him.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He managed to find like 6 idols one after another till the finale and it was kinda gross.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
He basically got a get out of jail free card when his luck ran out. Finding idols was what he had to do to stay alive.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This just highlights my old-fogeyness. The immunity challenge is fine I guess. I still usually skip through it through, and when it leads to Ozzies and Terries stifling strategic gameplay that consistently it's just as annoying to me as when people like Ben go on impossible HII rampages. The game start HIIs, fine. One--ONE--merge beach HII, maybe also fine. At a certain point though it's not Survivor anymore, just a 39-day Amazing Race needle-in-a-haystack challenge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Mike winning Worlds Apart was fine, since he was entirely dependent on immunity runs after he was left in the minority and used his idol the one time he was vulnerable. Wasn't a great win, since he never found a way to reverse his position in the game, but still a win worth respecting due to the difficulty of winning that many immunities to get to the end.

Ben, on the other hand, just kept protecting himself with idols. Same outcome as Mike, but it left a more sour taste in people's mouths.

If it were the case of someone finding all the idols originally planted (so 2 to 3 camp idols, and a merge idol) and using those, well, points for well timed idol plays. But players now know that idols are automatically rehidden after being played and that kind of kills part of the suspense of one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I could agree that there are "too many" advantages or that HIIs are replaced too soon or too often but there is no evidence I'm aware of other than salty circumstantials that Ben was gifted anything.

At worst production hid the idols "poorly" (meaning making them easy to find) but he still did the drat work while everyone else sat on their thumbs. They were idiots to an increasing degree each time he went searching alone and each time he turned out to have an idol.

I also haven't seen any evidence that the F4 fire making (which I also dislike, for the record) wasn't planned all along.

Maybe there is evidence and I just haven't seen it, but it feels like moon landing lizard people poo poo

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh I don't think it was rigged either, but it was a pretty dull win to watch. The firemaking twist is also almost universally agreed to be pretty bad and we're all waiting for production to hopefully drop it.

The fact that someone can idol their way to the end just made people think that idols were too prevalent (and Cirie getting advantaged out next season didn't help that outlook, either). At least with immunity runs there can be different skillsets involved and things like food rewards can make a difference. If someone is that good at finding idols there's not much you can do other than follow them around.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, Mike winning Worlds Apart was fine, since he was entirely dependent on immunity runs after he was left in the minority and used his idol the one time he was vulnerable. Wasn't a great win, since he never found a way to reverse his position in the game, but still a win worth respecting due to the difficulty of winning that many immunities to get to the end.

Ben, on the other hand, just kept protecting himself with idols. Same outcome as Mike, but it left a more sour taste in people's mouths.

If it were the case of someone finding all the idols originally planted (so 2 to 3 camp idols, and a merge idol) and using those, well, points for well timed idol plays. But players now know that idols are automatically rehidden after being played and that kind of kills part of the suspense of one.

I think the reason Mike’s win was accepted is because basically everyone else revealed themselves to being kind of awful as human beings. If the other finalists were easier to root for I think Mike’s win would have been a lot harder to swallow.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh I don’t think Ben was rigged necessarily but between focusing on his PTSD, million idols, and the out of nowhere fire starting challenge, the narrative was very blatantly in the producers mind they wanted him to win.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The sudden introduction of the fire twist was definitely the smoking gun for the HHH rigging truthers, and to be fair it really did feel quite shady at the time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think it was planned well in advance and was going to happen no matter what, but it was designed for exactly this purpose to be fair. Production wanted more amazing players in the end rather than one of the two remaining decent ones getting voted out at F4.

They got the perfect situation in Ghost Island. Two amazing players. Equal votes. Got to use their tiebreaker contingency. They're going to be chasing that dragon in perpetuity.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
It was extremely funny that the final four fire challenge was first presented as “an advantage” to a player (can’t remember her name atm) whose game was absolutely decimated by it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm just wondering when we get another Becky and Sundra out of this F4 Firemaking.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Survivor: Ring of Fire would be a more appropriate and overall better season name than anything we've seen recently.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Upped my support for RHAP for the Christmas season. I told them I didn't mind how the photo was signed.

Also got a Survivor inspired RHAP buff. It's orange. The perfect tribe color.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
White buff best buff :colbert:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think Christian's assessment of his other players at TC was based mostly around Gabby, and it was an easy choice. They were in lockstep the entire game, if he looked her in the eyes and only got a blank look back it means that Davie was correct and Gabby had in fact turned on him. Easy call.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Speaking of RHAP the podcast with Bryce this week was loving hilarious. I love how much Rob loves Bryce.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Interesting tidbit from that podcast was that apparently Davie and Nick had a named alliance too. Not sure if they said what it was called though

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I want to know all the alliance names. Had "Rock Stars" even been brought up on the show before it was namedropped this last episode?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

The Walrus posted:

I want to know all the alliance names. Had "Rock Stars" even been brought up on the show before it was namedropped this last episode?

It was brought up often when Mike and Nick ended up together after the tribeswap

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Actually I'm sure there's some community of people out there who are convinced the game is rigged for Davie and Nick. It's a big world. Somewhere someone is writing a scribe about how Angelina is Parv 2.0.

What do you mean by this? I'm watching this season right now, I know she wins but how was it rigged for her? Also, I think I really like this season. It's pretty funny, all of these blindsides with people who have idols, and one massive goober who wins immunity and gives it up just as a gesture of goodwill even though he is the obvious target. One of the dumbest things I've seen so far but also one of the best darkside plays.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Khanstant posted:

What do you mean by this? I'm watching this season right now, I know she wins but how was it rigged for her? Also, I think I really like this season. It's pretty funny, all of these blindsides with people who have idols, and one massive goober who wins immunity and gives it up just as a gesture of goodwill even though he is the obvious target. One of the dumbest things I've seen so far but also one of the best darkside plays.

Micronesia is amazing, the Black Widow alliance rules and it's a crime that Natalie has never had a spot on a returnee season.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

garthoneeye posted:

I want Angelina to somehow pull off a bunch of really good moves, give an amazing final tribal council, and win.

That's why the producers are so down on this season: their obnoxious, self-centered, overconfident buffoon villain character is the winner.

I'm really behind on this thread and just now catching up but this is 100% the most satisfying conclusion to this season.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Khanstant posted:

What do you mean by this?

Parvati doesn't win without Fairplay's quit and the last elimination of the season happening.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's worth remembering how much of survivor comes down to luck. Tribes, swaps, twists, idiots, everything. Even with the bullshit final twist Parvati is considered a strong winner, right? At least she was no Fabio.

She found the HII and threw it in the ocean ffs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

I don't believe that game was rigged for anyone. I was just throwing out random stuff to say there's people who see conspiracy in everything.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My satisfying win list:

-Christian
-Nick
-Davie
-Angelina
-Mike
-Kara
-Alison

I had difficulty ranking the Goliaths. Mike has money. Kara has been pretty invisible. Alison's admitted big move is blending into the background and voting the same way she's been all game. Angelina is kind of interesting in a :sherman: way.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Most to least:

Angelina—absolutely batshit result that would entertain me forever.
Nick—didn't like him at all pre-season but I've done a complete 180.
Christian—frontrunner but rather boring for this season's calibre.
Alison—because she's my pre-season winner prediction.
Davie—has made moves but has a stunning lack of social game and often seems greenscreened in.
Kara—I don't see her case but could still see her win and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Mike—congrats on The Emoji Movie redemption.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where do y'all watch the episodes on wednesdays? Seems like CBS doesn't throw the episodes up until the next day sometimes. Obviously I can't watch it on TV since TV don't exist anymore.

curiousCat posted:

Parvati doesn't win without Fairplay's quit and the last elimination of the season happening.

Ah, okay I see. Fairplay quitting was such annoying bullshit, doubly so how he tried so desperately to frame it as him becoming a better person or good dad or whatever.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 13, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
lmao nick

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Lol this is great

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

lmao davey

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Best episode of the season so far.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Post-merge idols should all be hidden inside challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

Where do y'all watch the episodes on wednesdays? Seems like CBS doesn't throw the episodes up until the next day sometimes. Obviously I can't watch it on TV since TV don't exist anymore.

I watch it on Youtube TV