Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Gologle posted:

The real mystery is how you say their names. Is it "Q-ween-a"? Is it "Keen-a"? Is it "Queen-a?" Is it "Quail"? Or "Q-wail"? And is it "Q"? Or is it "Q-U"?

That's not even a mystery, just look at the Japanese pronunciation: Kuina Kūen. It's "queen-a"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Xad posted:

That's not even a mystery, just look at the Japanese pronunciation: Kuina Kūen. It's "queen-a"

Is this where i ignorantly bring up aeris vs aerith?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Queen-a and Kee-stis? In two consecutive games? That's just silly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its almost like FF9 has the same drat problem 8 does where if you arent the front cast your story develops purely at the whims of the writer remembering you exist.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've always pronounced it like the grain, quinoa.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

The whole thing just doesn't really make sense. I also don't really like how you never see any other Qus in the game other than Quina and Quale. Are they the only ones? What happened to Quina's parents? It always felt off to me, and it doesn't really help that Quina is such a one note character with no development at all.

quan

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Its almost like FF9 has the same drat problem 8 does where if you arent the front cast your story develops purely at the whims of the writer remembering you exist.

I mean let’s be fair, not that 9 doesn’t have that problem to some degree, but Quina is basically the comic relief character from a dark anime like Puck in Berserk that gets up to wacky shenanigans to take your mind off of the dark poo poo.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

lobster22221 posted:

Aerisu

Voice acting took something out of old FF scripts, but I don't miss the days of arguing how names are pronounced

edit: these videos are actually really good in general but the section on this is relevant to here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCS7HQOs1mU&t=587s

Ventana fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 11, 2018

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

lobster22221 posted:

That's irrelevant because the reason THAT exists is that "su" and "th" are represented in katakana using the same character ス.

This isn't the case for Quina, which as written is the characters: Ku I Na クイナ. There's...no other way to pronounce that. It's "Queen-a"". If it was "Kee na" then it would be written "Ki Na" キナ or maybe "Ki I Na" キイナ  or "Ki - Na" キーナ but it's not, and if it was pronounced Kye-na it would be written as "Ka I Na," カイナ which again, it is not

:goonsay:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Xad posted:

That's irrelevant because the reason THAT exists is that "su" and "th" are represented in katakana using the same character ス.

This isn't the case for Quina, which as written is the characters: Ku I Na クイナ. There's...no other way to pronounce that. It's "Queen-a"". If it was "Kee na" then it would be written "Ki Na" キナ or maybe "Ki I Na" キイナ  or "Ki - Na" キーナ but it's not, and if it was pronounced Kye-na it would be written as "Ka I Na," カイナ which again, it is not

:goonsay:

Couldn't it be pronounced "Quin-uh" (Kwin-uh) instead of "Queen-uh"?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Queen-a and Kee-stis? In two consecutive games? That's just silly.

World of Final Fantasy confirmed it's "Kwiss tiss"

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so happy that no one has to debate pronunciation in my language because every sound is very clearly defined and as a bonus we also always get to speak the proper Japanese pronunciation for free.

English's pronunciation is so irregular that any consensus on how to pronounce new names seems like a nightmare scenario.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
teedus

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Elentor posted:

I'm so happy that no one has to debate pronunciation in my language because every sound is very clearly defined and as a bonus we also always get to speak the proper Japanese pronunciation for free.

English's pronunciation is so irregular that any consensus on how to pronounce new names seems like a nightmare scenario.

Same, I won't claim Finnish isn't a bit wacky in other ways but at least we know exactly how to pronounce our drat words. And our pronouns are gender-neutral by default too, so that's another modern headache avoided.

The English language was a terrible mistake.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Kanfy posted:

Same, I won't claim Finnish isn't a bit wacky in other ways but at least we know exactly how to pronounce our drat words. And our pronouns are gender-neutral by default too, so that's another modern headache avoided.

The English language was a terrible mistake.

As someone who only speaks english, English is a weird orgy of german, french, latin, and greek, with a few other loanwords mixed in, and a bunch of other poo poo an actual linguist would be able to point out. Its hard not to be hosed up.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(Play sound)
https://translate.google.com.br/?hl=en&tab=wT&authuser=0#view=home&op=translate&sl=pt&tl=en&text=tidus

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

lobster22221 posted:

As someone who only speaks english, English is a weird orgy of german, french, latin, and greek, with a few other loanwords mixed in, and a bunch of other poo poo an actual linguist would be able to point out. Its hard not to be hosed up.

I definitely have a lot of respect for people who successfully learn English pronunciation from scratch without the exposure most people in the west get from tv-shows and such growing up. On the opposite end people who make fun of other people's foreign accents and pronunciation can gently caress right off, though that's not by any means exclusive to the English-speaking world.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll be honest, in my experience people are way more tolerant about English accents (except for Americans towards the Canadians, I suppose, but otherwise Americans are pretty chill about it), probably because of how widespread English is, than the other languages I know. Brazilians really dislike Portuguese that is not the one they speak in their exact city/state and the only thing they hate more than that is how much Brazilians and Portuguese absolutely hate each other's accents. It's not even remotely similar to an American making a joke about the way British people talk or imitating an Indian accent or debating about color vs colour. It's "you filthy Brazilians speak an abomination that is an offense to all that is precious about our dear language" from 5 out of 6 Portuguese people I've ever encountered on the Internet and it's not like people here are any nicer than that towards them, I'm pretty sure they must have heard the same or worse.

I always apologize in advance for my English as I don't get to practice a lot and I've never seen anyone be less than nice about it, even in an extremely xenophobic environment towards Brazilians such as WoW communities right now. People will notice you're not American and that's about the extent of it. Sometimes they ask, react in amusement, but whether they're bordering on Canada, are Texan, live on the west or east coast it never really goes beyond that. The worst opinion the worst american ever had about my accent is considerably nicer than what people in my bordering states think of the way people speak in Rio.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 11, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

As a person who speaks Portuguese from Portugal I can concur. They're practically two different languages, it feels like sometimes, and I've had to deal with it more in my place of work as of late. It doesn't help that I'm technically in the minority, Portugal itself being a little baby of a nation compared to the massive girth of Brazil. Whenever someone mentions Portuguese just off the cuff it's pretty much 95% of the time referring to Brazillian Portuguese which I can't really help with. :smith:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Schwartzcough posted:

Couldn't it be pronounced "Quin-uh" (Kwin-uh) instead of "Queen-uh"?

Nope, that vowel sound doesn't really exist in Japanese. I/い always makes an "ee" sound.

Edit: oh right, but regardless of where you stand on the aeris/th thing, nobody thinks it's aerEEs/th, so yeah it could be, but it's definitely queena in Japanese at least

Xad fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 11, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alxprit posted:

As a person who speaks Portuguese from Portugal I can concur. They're practically two different languages, it feels like sometimes, and I've had to deal with it more in my place of work as of late. It doesn't help that I'm technically in the minority, Portugal itself being a little baby of a nation compared to the massive girth of Brazil. Whenever someone mentions Portuguese just off the cuff it's pretty much 95% of the time referring to Brazillian Portuguese which I can't really help with. :smith:

I wish for the sake of both our peoples people stopped trying to unify our languages. No Brazilian likes to read ecrã and I'm absolutely sure no Portuguese individual likes to read our words. Everyone I know who visits Portugal says they have a harder time understanding you folks than they do understanding Spanish. Everyone would be happy if we officially went our separate ways in the linguistic evolutionary tree, respected that there are differences, and a lot of the animosity would die the next day.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wouldn't mind if Aerix was secretly Ares, the Greek God of War incarnate in the flesh of a young maiden.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

lobster22221 posted:

Let's not forget how grammar and pronounciation are fuckin' optional in English too. Say words a way in whatever want you got and it's gettable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

I wouldn't mind if Aerix was secretly Ares, the Greek God of War incarnate in the flesh of a young maiden.

Please stop posting my fetishes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sess-ul

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Noke-tees

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only objectively correct pronunciation is Airy Sue.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Tiff-uh

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Klodd

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yoo-fee

edit: Red Ecks-Eye-Eye-Eye

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

edit: Red Ecks-Eye-Eye-Eye

Red Shee

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kid

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Say fur

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Chookooboo

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Cat shee.

Does it count if his name is in another language?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Zai Dane

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Fee-nal

Font-ah-say

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Don Gato posted:

Cat shee.

Does it count if his name is in another language?

Ket-shee :eng101:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

HD DAD posted:

Ket-shee :eng101:

That's a pretty catchy name :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted: