Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"never heard of json"
"i have used json"
"i have an opinion on json's dipshit date/time handling"
"i wrote a json parser"
"i wrote a json parser that other people actually use"
"i wrote a json parser that you've used"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
if you do something with a technology more interesting than "use it" it should probably be called out separately somewhere else (e.g. under jobs or personal projects)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Within the past two weeks I had a recruiter looking for someone with 5 years JSON experience

Recruiters are so dumb, so very very dumb

PS: “Microservice Technologies” in the summary is a creative way of saying “Docker”. Other than that, which items in the summary don’t mean anything to a screener?

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 10, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think I’ve discovered the bottom of the MSP market and I think I’m now working at it?

:ohdear:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
did they say they have a real "startup feel"?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i’m the box of toner that at first pass looks like a case of beer

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

Within the past two weeks I had a recruiter looking for someone with 5 years JSON experience

Recruiters are so dumb, so very very dumb

PS: “Microservice Technologies” in the summary is a creative way of saying “Docker”. Other than that, which items in the summary don’t mean anything to a screener?

Maybe instead you should say "docker". Microservice tech could mean literally anything. Just like 'cloud technologies', it could mean anything from architecting a complex AWS infrastructure to writing a dogshit node server for serving your company's blog that nobody reads anyway.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
at some point I have to bluff what recruiters want to see, and they want to see microservices. they don't know that docker is for microservices, they don't know what individual AWS services are, and they don't understand that nobody makes a microservice, until one day they do

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 11, 2018

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i think your goony disdain for the people you're trying to impress is palpable in your resume so you should probably get somebody else to help you write the copy instead of trusting your gut man

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
guess what happened last time I got someone else to write the resume copy (hint: I posted it)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
find a better person to write, then

so you're like the 40-year-old 3-martini mad man trying to sell to the 30-35 female housewife demo and you're wondering if these 30-35 female housewives are loving morons and david oglivy has to come around and tell you the customer isn't a moron, she's your wife

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it's a shame all these interview processes railroad The One True Resume thru the entire length of the process without chance of deviation

like imagine if at some point you talked to a hiring manager and could say "ahaha oh that's just SEO to get past HR, here's a simpler tech-focused one for you and your team"

too bad no humans exist, anywhere, and it's all robots

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ShadowHawk posted:

Is there some obscure page layout setting you can do to set a PDF to use extremely large unprintable per page paper settings?

(don't do this)

some PDF software would by default pass A4s directly to the printer, which the printer would refuse to print until A4 was loaded

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JawnV6 posted:

it's a shame all these interview processes railroad The One True Resume thru the entire length of the process without chance of deviation

like imagine if at some point you talked to a hiring manager and could say "ahaha oh that's just SEO to get past HR, here's a simpler tech-focused one for you and your team"

too bad no humans exist, anywhere, and it's all robots

on the other hand, humans are easily the worst part of dev

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

I think I’ve discovered the bottom of the MSP market and I think I’m now working at it?

:ohdear:

this is every msp

it is a dying niche with low margins

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

theres companies that make a fuckload reselling aws calling themselves msp. dont ask me how

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

qhat posted:

Maybe instead you should say "docker". Microservice tech could mean literally anything. Just like 'cloud technologies', it could mean anything from architecting a complex AWS infrastructure to writing a dogshit node server for serving your company's blog that nobody reads anyway.

having worked for a company that ostensibly provides tooling to help other software shops migrate to microservices, i can confidently say that nobody understands what they are beyond a buzzword for companies to think they're on the cutting edge of systems design. the marketing team loves it!

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

theres companies that make a fuckload reselling aws calling themselves msp. dont ask me how

it’s about an 8% rebate, not that exciting. you can then make another 15 to 30% on managed services

azure has better rebates which is why their growth is bonkers at the moment - they have thousands of small MSPs vacuuming up peoples two host VMware clusters into ~the cloud~

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

My facade of knowing what I'm doing continues to hold up. My boss trusts me to interview 3 different candidates tomorrow despite being a small boy and having never interviewed anyone before.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is every msp

it is a dying niche with low margins

They don’t even have coffee here. :wtf:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i was at a place that didnt have coffee because everyone was a huge fuckin health nut before

i bought red bulls by the case and kept them in the fridge

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Schadenboner posted:

They don’t even have coffee here. :wtf:

Hello are you interested in software engineering opportunities in the Milwaukee area

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I think I have adequately updated my resume thanks to MononcQc. I'm not sure if I should include the trucking company because it's not relevant at all to CS work but it also fills in what the hell I've been doing since high school minus all the waiting and bouncing jobs on the side as well. I don't know if I should have the ellipses with skills because honestly anything else is stuff I've touched once or twice and can't answer anything about. Please rip it apart.

Edit: MononncQc i am buying your book on friday

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hello are you interested in software engineering opportunities in the Milwaukee area

:laffo:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Nobody gives a gently caress what you've been doing since high school, if you had left the trucking job off it would have looked like you went straight from high school to college to employment. Instead now you invite questions about why you didn't do the normie 4-5 years of college after high school

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress what you've been doing since high school, if you had left the trucking job off it would have looked like you went straight from high school to college to employment. Instead now you invite questions about why you didn't do the normie 4-5 years of college after high school

Wouldn't being 32 invite those questions anyway?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Maybe but also only after they have seen you in person, when you can give an explanation rather than making arbitrary, unaccountable judgements based on a piece of paper

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

Good thing they can't necessarily even know this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

had my first tech interview in several weeks an hour ago

think i did ok, save for not realizing that mutable is in fact a c++ keyword (context was "you have a const function that needs to lock a class-member mutex. how do?" which strikes me as a nonsense question, frankly, but at least I learned that mutable can do that)

for once I actually have a bit of confidence, feels nice :unsmith:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

disptach job it out of there, any other flaws? eager to start shotgunning this thing

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have been asking the question: "I have a 100Mb/s internet connection, how long will it take me to download a 100MB file?" for the last several months to candidates.

I think that question has around a 40% correct answer rate. :smith:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Trick question, the connection has been oversold to hell and back and it will run at approximately 1Mbps.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’m considering getting cargo pants and a Leatherman.

1.5 days here and I’m already becoming one of them.

:cry:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Xarn posted:

Trick question, the connection has been oversold to hell and back and it will run at approximately 1Mbps.

I would actually accept this answer. Nobody has been that creative though. :v:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ratbert90 posted:

I have been asking the question: "I have a 100Mb/s internet connection, how long will it take me to download a 100MB file?" for the last several months to candidates.

I think that question has around a 40% correct answer rate. :smith:
lol even google knows

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

lol even google knows

The amount of people that say 10 seconds is crazy though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

disptach job it out of there, any other flaws? eager to start shotgunning this thing
I hate the look of your C#, but that's a minor nitpick. I use these on my resume:
code:
\newcommand{\CS}
{C\nolinebreak[3]\hspace{-.05em}\raisebox{.35ex}{\scriptsize\bf \#}}
Here's a nice \CPP for C++ too:
code:
\newcommand{\CPP}
{C\nolinebreak[4]\hspace{-.05em}\raisebox{.35ex}{\scriptsize\bf ++}}
You can adjust the parameters depending on the font you're using. With Computer Modern, mine is on the left and default is on the right:

The ellipses on the end of each category is weird, but again that's a nitpick. Do you know how much money your solution saved compared to "costly external applications"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
1. got no latency numbers
2. got no data as to the intermittency and variability of the connection (this is important cuz it's never ~ poisson like they tell you at school, it's ~ a power law)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

The amount of people that say 10 seconds is crazy though.

do they say exactly 10 seconds or do they say about 10 seconds, 'cause what are you testing for here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

As long as you are trying to test detail orientation under pressure and pronounce the words properly I think it's just about an OK question.

Ironically making the file 100MB makes it easier as it screams trick question.